• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

So, the first two Syberia games are 80% off, should I grab them right away or wait for the upcoming Summer Sale? They don't seem to have aged very well, but I'm always open for more adventure games.

Also, where's Rhaknar?

Syberia games are still good and hold up well from a Point and Click standpoint IMO..

Rhaknar is busy posting every 60 seconds in the Overwatch OT

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
how is senran kagura if you know nothing of the IP but want a musou game?

I would rather have DQ heroes but I heard the pc version is based on the ps3 version and is bad

Pretty fun if you dont mind the fan service.

Dr.Acula

Banned
CBhkWF9.gif

Ummm... okay?

Ummm... okay?
Seems reasonable that they'd queue it if there was a high demand. Better than trying to do it in realtime and watching the servers fall apart under load.

It's a great initiative, though the short timeframes for games to be added bugs me a little. Quite easy to miss the window if you haven't bought something already.

PaulSane

I would rather have DQ heroes but I heard the pc version is based on the ps3 version and is bad

Senran Kagura is a good port from what i can tell.
Mechanically, this game is definitely better than Neptunia U, but i actually haven't played any other games in this genre, so i don't know how it compares to other ones.
So far i really like the music, characters are interesting, there is some plot, and a lot of "plot" :)
I haven't played previous games in this franchise (i think there were 2 games on 3DS before this one came out on Vita), but i don't feel like i'm missing any "lore" - you actually get to know the characters in the main stories of each school, and in individual stories of every character which act sort of like a sidequests.

In short, it's a pretty light-hearted experience so far both in terms of story bits and gameplay, missions are pretty short, but there are a lot of them. Character animations are great in my opinion, and the combat is fluid - and that's a very good thing in these types of games i think.

Oh, and there is also a Lingerie Lottery you can play :p

kagamin

I thought I read that it was or that it has less enemies on screen on PC than the PS4 version... seemed shady

I followed the game for quite a while (and I own it) and the only difference (aside from slight graphical enhancements) that I've heard about are the optimization issues, which are super annoying because whenever I look at the fountain in the desert city my fps drops into the mid 40s.

d00d3n

Is it possible to transfer the "indexing" of your Steam game folders to a new computer? I mean in a way that does not force you to "recognize existing files" for each game that you have.

madjoki

Is it possible to transfer the "indexing" of your Steam game folders to a new computer? I mean in a way that does not force you to "recognize existing files" for each game that you have.

Copy acf files too (filename is game's appid). These contain state of game.

L.O.R.D

I was thinking of sending a PM with explanations instead of writing a post, but thought that this info may be of use to someone else.
I haven't used GeDoSaTo much yet, so maybe some of the steps aren't really necessary:

1. Open the Whitelist (there is button to the right)
2. Add the following line:
Application || Senran Kagura
this will tell GeDoSaTo the name of the process it should work with.
3. Press the Edit Settings button on the main screen
4. There should be a dropdown menu in the bottom-left of the newly opened window, find and select
configApplicationGeDoSaTo.ini
5. After that, press the U button right of the dropdown menu and then press OK. This will create an .ini file that you will need to edit.
6. Here are the contents of my .ini file:

forceBorderlessFullscreen true
aaQuality 4
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
scalingType lanczos
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
presentInterval 1

You may copy and paste these lines into your file, and then click save. If the game lags with these settings, you can try lowering the renderResolution parameter.

Make sure that GeDoSaTo is activated (there are buttons for this on the main window) and the window is open. Now run the game - it may or may not work right away, you can press "+" on the numpad to see if GeDoSaTo is working, if it is, you will see some lines of text in the top of the game's window. Look for the line with the word "downsampling" in it - if it says Not downsampling, go to the settings in game and change display to fullscreen, and then to borderless - it should work after that.
The game may also open in the downsampling resolution when you first launch it - i.e. it won't fit on the screen, in this case, you will have to wait for it to get to the main menu, press right once, and enter the settings - there, you would need to do the same thing - select Fullscreen first, and then Borderless - it should fit the screen after that, and it also should be downsampled at that point.
But,if i played at that res 3840x2160 with down sampling,will that effect my laptop gpu alot?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/883083192033975013

Same experience from desktop to couch
You can now configure and use the controller from your desktop, including the pop-up keyboard to communicate with your non-Steam programs.

If this means you can customize it without needing to have Steam installed, that'll be a huge boon. If not, there's always that custom Linux driver someone wrote.

Tune once, play anywhere
Create templates from your favorite settings and apply them across all your games.

Wow, it only took them... a year to make good on nearly the promise of having a jack-of-all-trades controller for people that don't want to spend 1-2+ hours configuration the controller and simply want "genre default" like binds for games of similar genres? :eek:!

PaulSane

But,if i played at that res 3840x2160 with down sampling,will that effect my laptop gpu alot?

Well, GPU renders the game at that resolution, so this can be pretty taxing. You should try different resolutions and see what fps you are getting - the game assets aren't really high fidelity, you can probably get a pretty good downsampling resolution and still have 60 fps.

Nabs

Wow, it only took them... a year to make good on nearly the promise of having a jack-of-all-trades controller for people that don't want to spend 1-2+ hours configuration the controller and simply want "genre default" like binds for games of similar genres? :eek:!

That's been there forever. Like, 5-6 months probably.

Witcher 3: Heart of Stone is fantabulous. I see why so many were praising it before. Though I'm only just beginning it, it's definitely raising the bar for DLC.

That said, I can't believe they all but forgot about Shani until now.
CBhkWF9.gif

Ummm... okay?

You don't need to stay on that page to remain in queue, FYI.

Grief.exe

Anno

The wife has been out of town for only 7 out of 20 days and I'm already reduced to playing unranked Dota in boxers and a t-shirt listening to Separate Ways by Journey on repeat because for some reason it's super hype atm. Looks like I need additional hobbies.

The wife has been out of town for only 7 out of 20 days and I'm already reduced to playing unranked Dota in boxers and a t-shirt listening to Separate Ways by Journey on repeat because for some reason it's super hype atm. Looks like I need additional hobbies.
Haha.

Kagemusha

When Gog.com realizes that half of their users also have 500 Sakura games on Steam....
I'm going to blame ya'all for giving Gog.com a reason to go full anime.

There is hope for me, yet!

Salsa

Rocket League getting paint to paint hats and certified items this month

only MP game I was this addicited to before RL was TF2

they're just making things for me at this point

Eila

When Gog.com realizes that half of their users also have 500 Sakura games on Steam....
I'm going to blame ya'all for giving Gog.com a reason to go full anime.

Embrace the waifu era.
I wonder if Senran Kagura got rejected. GoG hosts a bunch of XSEED games, but not Akiba's Trip or Senran Kagura. Are there any crazy fanservice games on the store?

MUnited83

For you.

hopefully market intregration as well. time to score some bucks!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I hope they have sellable droppables.

I need to make more dosh

I believe it's also locked to 1080p.

Oh no. 1080p. Absolutely unplayable.

It's solid, but at the end of the day, it sort of depends on what you decide to make it. When I played through on normal difficulty, a lot of the 1v1 fights could be won by spamming a few secret arts. On hard difficulty, that might not be a viable strategy.

You can pretty much skip most of the fan service type stuff, but odds are you're going to see some underwear on a fairly regular basis (especially if you use the glass cannon type fighting style for a girl) -- however, you could probably find some less risque clothing and customize each girl so that you don't really have to see that kind of stuff, I'd wager. At one point, I tried doing customization, but ended up just rolling with whatever the defaults were as I focused on finishing the game up.

Some things.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Read Only Memories -- MB-D3F70556688DC458 - Taken by UnaiGamer. 1 entrants total.
Rocket League -- MB-CEA884BA187D815E - Taken by Iron Badger. 6 entrants total.
Her Story -- MB-608BC1D774896D5F - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1464830854z1.png

Grief.exe

Oh no. 1080p. Absolutely unplayable.

Nice straw man.

The platform is built on forwards and backwards compatibility, not supporting arbitrary resolutions damages a key pillar of the platform. 1080p is a perfectly viable resolution currently, but actively railing against the inclusion of higher resolutions demonstrates a complete lack of forward thinking.

Nice straw man.

The platform is built on forwards and backwards compatibility, not supporting arbitrary resolutions damages a key pillar of the platform. Being okay with 1080p for now is perfectly viable resolution, but actively railing against the inclusion of higher resolutions demonstrates a complete lack of forward thinking.

With DQH, you have four options:
(1) Buy the game for PS4.
(2) Buy the game for PS3.
(3) Buy the game for PC.
(4) Don't buy the game.

If you really want to play the game, (4) isn't really an option.
Which leaves options (1), (2), or (3)... If you want one that's going to be forward and/or backwards compatible, I guess you're going to have to buy the PC version and live with that 1080p lock or hope someone cares enough to possibly find a hack to remove it.

Grief.exe

With DQH, you have four options:
(1) Buy the game for PS4.
(2) Buy the game for PS3.
(3) Buy the game for PC.
(4) Don't buy the game.

If you really want to play the game, (4) isn't really an option.
Which leaves options (1), (2), or (3)... If you want one that's going to be forward and/or backwards compatible, I guess you're going to have to buy the PC version and live with that 1080p lock or hope someone cares enough to possibly find a hack to remove it.

What's your point? We were discussing port quality of the PC version.

Phawx

I like that the conversation could be summed up thusly:

Er7DQMo.png

Edit: I should really be a bit more constructive with my posts.

I can easily see the points both of you guys raise, I would have to side with Frost on the issue if only because I was a PC gamer way back in the day (80s/90s) and watched as it was destroyed into nothingness (Basically just WoW). In the early aughts, I had given up on PC gaming even though I continued to buy decent video cards for the one-off whizbang game that came out.

I guess my mindset is one where PC gaming still has to prove itself even though I know consoles are about to enter their own death throes. When I see PC getting ports of games, it feels like vindication but I also feel like beggars can't be choosers.

I like that the conversation could be summed up thusly:

Edit: I should really be a bit more constructive with my posts.

I can easily see the points both of you guys raise, I would have to side with Frost on the issue if only because I was a PC gamer way back in the day (80s/90s) and watched as it was destroyed into nothingness (Basically just WoW). In the early aughts, I had given up on PC gaming even though I continued to buy decent video cards for the one-off whizbang game that came out.

I guess my mindset is one where PC gaming still has to prove itself even though I know consoles are about to enter their own death throes. When I see PC getting ports of games, it feels like vindication but I also feel like beggars can't be choosers.

That's a good summation of the way I see it.

If there's a game you want to play and you have limited options to play it, choose the best platform for you and go play it. Having the resolution locked may not be future proof or "forward thinking", but if you want to play it, you're not left with a lot of options. The beauty of PC as a platform is that someone, somewhere may be motivated enough to look into finding a way to solve the same issues you have with a game. But at the end of the day, passing on a game because you were an early adopter of a new technology and your configuration isn't supported 100% is silly to me.

Do I wish Bloodborne was 60fps without the frame pacing issues? You bet.
Will there be a day when I decide to replay MGR:R on PC and think "I really wish this wasn't locked at 1080p"? Quite possibly.
Am I going to pass on a game because it's locked at a resolution that's currently commonplace in most households and the target for the console development these days? No sir.

Phawx

I wonder how many of the games I own on Steam actually work without any fiddling.

Edit: Heh, just loaded up the King's Quest Collection (which apparently isn't even on sale anymore on Steam?)

None of it loads.

I can get it working, as I have always done in the past, but that's PC.

Edit edit: Space Quest collection is similarly broken.

Lomax

I wonder how many of the games I own on Steam actually work without any fiddling.

I guess you'd have to define "work." If you mean, start them up from scratch and they correctly detect all the needed settings and work with no additional adjustments at the optimal speed, I'd say the number is pretty close to zero. Depends a lot on your hardware though. I have a pretty cheap monitor so games tend to not correctly detect the resolution initially. And I used to use a Logitech controller so I had to set up x360ce for most games.

Yes, the whole "constant driver updates and patches" bit is overblown, but the idea that PC gaming is plug and play now is just as inaccurate. But that's the price for flexibility and long term compatibility. I'd never try to cram a N64 cartridge into a Wii U, but I try to play PC games from that era quite frequently.

fenners

I brew beer in those situations.

Phawx

I guess you'd have to define "work." If you mean, start them up from scratch and they correctly detect all the needed settings and work with no additional adjustments at the optimal speed, I'd say the number is pretty close to zero. Depends a lot on your hardware though. I have a pretty cheap monitor so games tend to not correctly detect the resolution initially. And I used to use a Logitech controller so I had to set up x360ce for most games.

Yes, the whole "constant driver updates and patches" bit is overblown, but the idea that PC gaming is plug and play now is just as inaccurate. But that's the price for flexibility and long term compatibility. I'd never try to cram a N64 cartridge into a Wii U, but I try to play PC games from that era quite frequently.

I've only used a 360 controller since getting back into PC gaming and having a controller work by default is aces.

I'm going to see if I can manage to play MtG: Battlegrounds for PC. I gave up trying to do it natively. Think I'll try in a VM this time.

tuxfool

Banned

Yup. A lot of old games work fine but that is also dependent on their quality. I installed NOLF2 last week and it worked absolutely fine. This is a game from 2002.

I did have to install some aspect ration and resolution tweaks, but the game did work without issue. Conversely, as I noted earlier I can't seem to get Syberia 1&2 to work, both games hailing roughly from the same era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom