• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I think it would be interesting to do a re-vote of all the various Steam GotY votes, let people only vote for games in the top 20 or something and see how it comes down now that many more people have played them.

Uzzy

I think it would be interesting to do a re-vote of all the various Steam GotY votes, let people only vote for games in the top 20 or something and see how it comes down now that many more people have played them.

As long as Transistor wins, I'm happy.

Crap. I bought Mighty No. 9 on Nuveem last year back in like September when it was originally going to come out. I just checked and got a Steam code and now when I try to redeem it, it says its for the wrong country.

Knurek

Just about any 980 TI (OC AIB version to boot) is significantly cheaper than any 1070 card...
It just speaks volumes of how fucked up Pascal launch is.

Crap. I bought Mighty No. 9 on Nuveem last year back in like September when it was originally going to come out. I just checked and got a Steam code and now when I try to redeem it, it says its for the wrong country.

They added a Brazil sub, so all Mighty No.9 Nuuvem codes are locked to Brazil now,

Adnor

Banned

If you bought it before they announced that the key was region-locked ask for a refund.

Nabs

The Neo Tokyo map is so pretty.

I'm also loving the winning screen:

421D419118AB39C6D9698733FCAB54BD95AE817B

Momentary

Banned
Hi, I'm Alisa. Now you must die.

If it isn't 60fps that's a crime against the franchise and genre. It's probably better that it's a 30fps video because youtube encoding sucks and would make it into a massive blur of blocks.

The game is 60fps. No worries on that.

Finished F.E.A.R. earlier. Phenomenal game. AI was great to fight against, the guns felt terrific, and the story kept me interested until the end. Definitely scratched my FPS itch. From what I'm hearing, the later games weren't as good as the first? Wondering if they're worth bothering with, or if I'll just end up disappointed.

I love FEAR1, but I couldn't stomach more than an hour of FEAR2.

The main thing that stuck out to me is the shotgun. In FEAR1, it's one of the greatest FPS guns of all time. In FEAR2? It's nowhere near as good.

I never got over that massive feeling of disappointment.

Ryne

Results of my bad planning

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

METAL SLUG 3 -- MB-07E97ABFFCF95EF6 - Taken by TheMadMan007
METAL SLUG X -- MB-FA321199949605CF - Taken by fspm
METAL SLUG -- MB-192ED25240609668 - Taken by GhostTrick

Deques

Soooooooooooo....

...anybody who ordered Mighty No. 9 through Nuuvem, check your library. I just got some Steam keys....before any KS backer received theirs. This MN9 saga still keeps giving.

I'll feel your pain once Unsung Story starts creeping up for release.

Humble sent a mail to me that the keys are now available an hour ago. Ray and Retro dlcs are available too

It's Tuesday so it's about time we have this week's G2A fraud news from Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-murky-world-of-pc-game-key-reselling-exposed-by-indie-developer

Yea im not really getting the article and thread on here. They seem to have an issue with people selling keys on the G2A marketplace, not G2A themselves. Why would a dev/pub get compensated from a reselling of a key? As for the fraud stuff. Why not just revoke the said keys then? Is there something I am missing?

Deques

Yea im not really getting the article and thread on here. They seem to have an issue with people selling keys on the G2A marketplace, not G2A themselves. Why would a dev/pub get compensated from a reselling of a key? As for the fraud stuff. Why not just revoke the said keys then? Is there something I am missing?

This
"There's no real way to know which keys leaked or not, and deactivating full batches of game keys would make a ton of fans angry, be it keys bought from official sellers or not," he says.

But I don't understand why it's impossible to know which keys are leaked or not. Aren't keys tied to each transactions? Don't they log that?

On Steam:
I am not sure how the system behind Steam works. Do they have a web page where you put a single key to revoke it, or can you paste a list of potential stolen keys and revoke them? If former then I would understand why it would take time to revoke the keys

Phinor

I guess the point is that G2A kind of encourages this type of business. No regular key store has issues one hundredth of the scale G2A has but G2A has two answers to this: customers should pay us extra money for protection against scamming that happens in their service daily and for developers/publishers: join us, because that will surely fix everything.

Without G2A there wouldn't be nearly as much fraudulent purchases from developers because moving those keys on would be so much more difficult. Revoking only really hurts the end customer, the developer will still pay the huge chargeback bill and end up losing both money AND customers. Meanwhile G2A collects money from both sellers and buyers when all this is happening in their service.

On Steam:
I am not sure how the system behind Steam works. Do they have a web page where you put a single key to revoke it, or can you paste a list of potential stolen keys and revoke them? If former then I would understand why it would take time to revoke the keys

It's steam, they probably have to do it one by one and confirm on their mobile authenticator.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On Steam:

Key revocation is something Valve does itself. There's no automated system in place as far as the SPD frontend is concerned.

Why did everyone stop activating gifts from bearland.ru then?

He means key activation, not gift activation.

But I don't understand why it's impossible to know which keys are leaked or not. Aren't keys tied to each transactions? Don't they log that?

This is the part I don't get at all. You have to know which key was given in which transaction. If that transaction is charged back, you know exactly which key to revoke. I believe Steam even allows custom messages when a key is being revoked so you could point out that it was purchased from an unauthorized source and that they should request a refund from where they bought it. Steam also allows targeted delivery of coupons so give the affected customers a 33% off coupon or something and try to get them to buy it legit.

Deques

This is the part I don't get at all. You have to know which key was given in which transaction. If that transaction is charged back, you know exactly which key to revoke. I believe Steam even allows custom messages when a key is being revoked so you could point out that it was purchased from an unauthorized source and that they should request a refund from where they bought it. Steam also allows targeted delivery of coupons so give the affected customers a 33% off coupon or something and try to get them to buy it legit.

Obviously this isn't how tinyBuild sell their games. Keys are sent to buyers, but not tied to the transactions.

If I built an online shop that sell Steam games I would log where the keys are sent to. For a publisher like tinyBuild, they made a huge mistake if they don't log where the keys are sent

Key revocation is something Valve does itself. There's no automated system in place as far as the SPD frontend is concerned.

I guess Valve doesn't want hoaxers to easily revoke keys if they do it themselves

Obviously this isn't how tinyBuild sell their games. Keys are sent to buyers, but not tied to the transactions.

If I built an online shop that sell Steam games I would log where the keys are sent to. For a publisher like tinyBuild, they made a huge mistake if they don't log where the keys are sent

Nobody makes a mistake like that. Something is missing from this story.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

K7GXagI.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-6427C9FFAE79AD73 - Taken by Dice. 4 entrants total.

t1466511024z1.png

Deques

Nobody makes a mistake like that. Something is missing from this story.

Then I don't understand why it's not easy for tinyBuild to revoke all stolen keys. They have logs of all chargeback transactions, meaning they do know which keys are stolen.

Is it compiling a list of stolen keys that's not easy? Because that's stupid too. With computers everything is easy to do (everything that's data related)

Ludens

Banned
http://store.steampowered.com/app/423950/

Deadlight DC released, not even 1% off as loyalty discount (the 15% off is for everyone).

I really don't understand this. I mean, Deadlight is not a so good game you would buy again for full price, I wonder what the target audience is for this.

Also, why the DC costs more than what Deadlight used to cost at launch?

Bl@de

I love FEAR1, but I couldn't stomach more than an hour of FEAR2.

The main thing that stuck out to me is the shotgun. In FEAR1, it's one of the greatest FPS guns of all time. In FEAR2? It's nowhere near as good.

I never got over that massive feeling of disappointment.

You're wrong. F.E.A.R. 2 > F.E.A.R. 1. That's a fact. Your internet license is revoked. Bye

Then I don't understand why it's not easy for tinyBuild to revoke all stolen keys. They have logs of all chargeback transactions, meaning they do know which keys are stolen.

Is it compiling a list of stolen keys that's not easy? Because that's stupid too. With computers everything is easy to do (everything that's data related)

That's why I'm saying there's some part of this story that we're not being told.

You're wrong. F.E.A.R. 2 > F.E.A.R. 1. That's a fact. Your internet license is revoked. Bye

You've got to be kidding me. FEAR 2 was rubbish compared to the first one and it basically killed the series. Until they exhumed it with FEAR 3 only to put it in an even deeper grave than before.

Arthea

Good, no more deals for the next two weeks.
My wallet is crying this month.
oh really?
lol

you know that ZTD releases during the sale, don't you?

http://i.imgur.com/uzaMlkm.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
well, we know it's true, why would they care if they aren't losing any money by this.
although, they kinda are... but in such a way that it's not too obvious.

Bl@de

Gross.

I'm firmly in the camp that says fear 2 isn't very good. I had more fun with fear 3.

1 had better atmosphere. But I think that gameplay has improved in 2. I played them last year back to back for the first time. I don't get the hate for 2. They are very similar and I think 2 is a better game.

Ahh and also @jawmuncher/spindoctor. Your internet licenses are revoked too. No more Dino Crisis threads on NeoGAF I guess :p F.E.A.R. 2 reigns supreme.

Pixieking

Banned
oh really?
lol

you know that ZTD releases during the sale, don't you?

well, we know it's true, why would they care if they aren't losing any money by this.
although, they kinda are... but in such a way that it's not too obvious.

I think saying they don't care due to not losing money is... probably inaccurate. Like with the reviews system (and greenlight, and curators), they no doubt do care, since anything that makes life worse for developers reflects poorly on Steam and the service it provides. It's more likely that, as with reviews (and greenlight, and curators), the will to fix the problem isn't really there now... Essentially, they need to care more in order to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom