• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Oh hey Humble Store has a Konami sale, let's see what they ha-
OM5iUzD.png

Sweet, Chapter 3

Is it just me or is Irithyll Dungeon in Dark Souls 3 hard as balls? Managed to get mostly through it but goddamn was it a struggle

It's quite hard. Those jailers are such a pain in ass to deal with. Look at them and your health bar starts decreasing what the fuck. Insidious enemy design.

MUnited83

For you.
The DLC has separate entries on the store so it seems it doesnt include the DLC unless Im missng something. Also the DLC is outfits so I dont really see much need for it.
It can theoretically do that while including them, like as a first week bonus or something.

Steam Spy was really a great revelation for PC games. I can't imagine going back to the black box of Steam's unnumbered sales. I guess Valve could kibbosh the scraping thing, but I don't know how it technically works. Devs might not ask for Steam Spy to remove them because it simply isn't a Steam feature; they need to know of it.

What would be the reason for this? Is there something Steam Spy shows that developers wouldn't like?

The Steam Spy twitter suggests that this might be related to the Paradox IPO. Paradox might not want its investors to get ideas about how well / badly a game is doing from sources other than Paradox itself. Regardless, it's a shame to see them do this, and I really hope that this wont become common among publishers.

Grief.exe

Steam Spy was really a great revelation for PC games. I can't imagine going back to the black box of Steam's unnumbered sales. I guess Valve could kibbosh the scraping thing, but I don't know how it technically works. Devs might not ask for Steam Spy to remove them because it simply isn't a Steam feature; they need to know of it.

That's why Sergei doesn't rock the boat. If a publisher requests the removal, then he pulls it down. Valve could kill the whole thing.

Part of me is trying to wait for the reviews on this game and the other part of me wants to buy it and refund it if it isn't up to par (c wut i did thar). However I don't want to use my refund for a simple "I didn't like it" even though it sounds like Burnout's Crash Mode.

there's a limit on refunds? i'm waiting on reviews myself even tho it looks great

MUnited83

For you.
Hope they do that and include the DLC.
It would make the difference to me between buying it today or waiting for a sale. Hopefully they make the right decision :L
That's why Sergei doesn't rock the boat. If a publisher requests the removal, then he pulls it down. Valve could kill the whole thing.
Well, they could remove Sergei's access to the API, but the ability for anyone else to scrape those numbers would still be there.

Grief.exe

Well, they could remove Sergei's access to the API, but the ability for anyone else to scrape those numbers would still be there.

I assumed that if he loses API access it would take to long to poll millions of profiles necessary to calculate an accurate amount of sales.

Speaking of Steam Spy

QASav45.jpg

I assumed that if he loses API access it would take to long to poll millions of profiles necessary to calculate an accurate amount of sales.

Speaking of Steam Spy

QASav45.jpg

That's not a calculation I expected possible from him! Interesting.

Also grief, why are your tweetshots so huge?

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not really sure I'd buy his guesses. His site is useful but I'm not sure I buy his personal credentials much, he's written some goofy stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
SteamSpy fails to calculate the cultural phenomenon of Alice Through The Looking Glass, where millions of Steam users flocked to theaters to see Johnny Depp reprise one of his classic characters.

I'm not really sure I'd buy his guesses. His site is useful but I'm not sure I buy his personal credentials much, he's written some goofy stuff.

I didn't get the whole "the indie bubble hasn't burst...if you have a hit." article. All you game devs will be fine if you get good.

MadGear

So I gave Warmachine Tactics another shot and I'm glad I did because the game as such is actually growing on me. Sadly the campaign remains fairly weak but there are have been a couple of enjoyable missions so far (I'm currently at mission 10). However I think the rng in this game is seriously messed up. I can't tell how many times I rolled a miss on attacks with a 91% chance to hit. Its really infuriating to see your jacks miss multiple attacks against simple "pawn units".

MUnited83

For you.

Speaking of Steam Spy

QASav45.jpg
Around three days, the same time it takes steamspy right now? Would depende on the scraping method but it wouldn't be a thing that took more than 1 week. Steamspy is always polling all the millions of accounts in three days.

That's not a calculation I expected possible from him! Interesting.
It's a extrapolation; when the open beta hit, CS go and tf2 had some of their lower numbers in months. Similar happened with Overwatch full release, so you can calculate it to a point
I didn't get the whole "the indie bubble hasn't burst...if you have a hit." article. All you game devs will be fine if you get good.
Game devs are exactly as fine as they ever were, if not more , because previously most couldnt even get on Steam at all.

Wok

It's a extrapolation; when the open beta hit, CS go and tf2 had some of their lower numbers in months. Similar happened with Overwatch full release, so you can calculate it to a point.

It is still a guess: there are plenty of unaccounted factors. For instance, Dota2 stats seem uncorrelated to Overwatch stats:

IcMsqsA.png

Ludens

Banned
Got all gwent cards in the expansion, went to the tournament, bet my silver sword, and I lost the entire tournament and my silver sword. Quitted the game, I'll try tomorrow, but I think you can't save between matches like the tournament in the vanilla game :S

Nzyme32

Got a bizarre issue with GOG Client on Windows 10.

When it's open, and I click the cross to close it (which is meant to minimize it to the tray), it will do go to the tray but also trigger a windows notification which is all in Japanese. Going to the notification area - nothing

Am I missing something? I cant get Civ V to run in 4k, even when I change the resolution, it just adds a black border around a slighty higher than full HD resolution.

r3n4ud

Got a bizarre issue with GOG Client on Windows 10.

When it's open, and I click the cross to close it (which is meant to minimize it to the tray), it will do go to the tray but also trigger a windows notification which is all in Japanese. Going to the notification area - nothing
Same here. Weird...

MUnited83

For you.
It is still a guess: there are plenty of unaccounted factors. For instance, Dota2 stats seem uncorrelated to Overwatch stats:

IcMsqsA.png
Sure. Dota 2 is not a competitive FPS though so its no wonder it wasn't affected though :pP as I said, you can extrapolate to a certain point. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a big margin of error, but it shouldnt be wildly off either.

Wok

Sure. Dota 2 is not a competitive FPS though so its no wonder it wasn't affected though :pP as I said, you can extrapolate to a certain point. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a big margin of error, but it shouldnt be wildly off either.

It is still making a lot of assumptions, such as:
  • there is a significant overlap between people playing in Battle.net and Steam,
  • the variation of player numbers in game X is solely explained by the release of Overwatch,
  • among people playing the F2P game X, all the players are equally ready to pay for a game,
  • etc.
We can decide to believe the prediction should be trusted, but in reality, there is a priori no solid ground for this model, no possibility to refute the model, and there are a lot of implicit or hidden assumptions, and no possibility to question the assumptions.

I am not even insisting on the fact that the calculations are not made public, so for the layman, Steam Spy is pooling numbers out of a black box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom