• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

i mean, im going to do my part, but this isn't going to happen. Konami hasn't even brought the old MGS games which are their biggest cash cow and those have english PC ports ready to go

I don't see any harm in trying, it took us 10 years of begging to get Suikoden games on PSN, but nobody believed Konami will do even that.

What do I have to do?

if you have a twitter account, just tweet

Tellaerin

Primary input device for PC is m+kb and that should be the only mandatory supported method. Pads, wheels, sticks - are just a pleasant bonus and nothing else.

No it isn't.

Can't say I agree on this. Some games designed for a gamepad don't lend themselves to being played with a mouse and keyboard, no matter how hard you try to come up with an alternate control scheme for them. In cases like that, the developer is arguably better off not supporting m/kb at all, which discourages people without a gamepad from buying the game, rather than shoehorning in halfassed m/kb support that's still going to leave the game unplayable and will also make the person who bought it feel like they wasted their money.

Knurek

Obviously related to the IPO but more about controlling information.

"Also - there's been a bit of "benign neglect" involved here. Information - especially sales numbers - is very valuable in this industry (any really). I'm very surprised more haven't pulled their numbers. The Kerbal guys don't report sales for instance. We weren't asked if we wanted our numbers to be shared. It just happened."

Steamspy uses statistical analysis of public data, so I don't really see why Paradox would think galyonkin has to ask them for permission here?

Deques

Steamspy uses statistical analysis of public data, so I don't really see why Paradox would think galyonkin has to ask them for permission here?

While the data is public, I believe the public data wasn't meant to be used to create sales statistics. Steamspy is just making it easier to see the statistics

Arthea

While the data is public, I believe the public data wasn't meant to be used to create sales statistics. Steamspy is just making it easier to see the statistics

I wish somebody finally explained me why sale numbers have to be hidden or secret in the first place.

As for Paradox request, it's their choice, of course, but we don't have to like it and I don't.

Beelzebubs

Spare key.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Read Only Memories -- MB-3653021E1CACC13C - Taken by Spirited

Tizoc

i mean, im going to do my part, but this isn't going to happen. Konami hasn't even brought the old MGS games which are their biggest cash cow and those have english PC ports ready to go

Honestly even if it doesn't result in anything.
I'm still gonna join in. I got nothing to lose anyways.

Ozium

how would you guys feel about a seperate steam store only for anime games? if it means all the anime games and would also include anime

Tizoc

Exactly. Just... don't get your hopes up, is what I mean :p

Mate
look at my avatar
Then accept the fact that I am blind optimist.
And that I am also batshit insane. ;)
I can handle disappointment; but I'd rather do the littlest of things even if they do not bear any fruit, than do nothing at all.
Why else do you think I've made giveaways of so many games over the years :3

derExperte

GB will do a 'Quick Look Live!: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Live Show' in six hours.

Can't say I agree on this. Some games designed for a gamepad don't lend themselves to being played with a mouse and keyboard, no matter how hard you try to come up with an alternate control scheme for them. In cases like that, the developer is arguably better off not supporting m/kb at all, which discourages people without a gamepad from buying the game, rather than shoehorning in halfassed m/kb support that's still going to leave the game unplayable and will also make the person who bought it feel like they wasted their money.

There are cases where I might agree but the fact that the Dangerous Golf devs were completely oblivious to someone having an issue with no kbm, the way they responded to complaints, didn't even think to include a warning at first (and hiding it out of immediate view now) and that it's a golf game which people have been playing with kbm since the invention of the genre points towards it not being a conscious decision at all and more a case of not caring to put in more time. Same for the turned on 30fps lock. And oh my fucking god fuck everyone who does this, they let the game decide on language based on Windows and the German translation is crap too. http://steamcommunity.com/app/405500/discussions/0/357287935547413690/

I still dont get why D3 thought the price for Oneechanbara was good. I mean the series is a low budget series and started of in their Simple2000 series (2000Yen games) IIRC. The games itself also werent really long.

ArjanN

Can't say I agree on this. Some games designed for a gamepad don't lend themselves to being played with a mouse and keyboard, no matter how hard you try to come up with an alternate control scheme for them.

Agree with this,

In cases like that, the developer is arguably better off not supporting m/kb at all, which discourages people without a gamepad from buying the game, rather than shoehorning in halfassed m/kb support that's still going to leave the game unplayable and will also make the person who bought it feel like they wasted their money.

Not so much with this. Even if it's not the ideal control method it's just flat out a bad idea not to have kb and mouse support at all. I mean by that logic there shouldn't be FPS games on console either.

Rizzi

I still dont get why D3 thought the price for Oneechanbara was good. I mean the series is a low budget series and started of in their Simple2000 series (2000Yen games) IIRC. The games itself also werent really long.

$28 US seems like an okay price for what it is.

Monooboe

Puh, I just don't get it, how can I be so bad at Pillars of Eternity, I'm overleveled and playing on easy but STILL get wiped out by just regular encounters. Maybe having a long pause before playing the expansions wasn't a good idea.o_O Funny also, I had easier against a boss and it's henchmen than the guards outside the said boss.XD

MUnited83

For you.

the base price is weird, yeah, but since it got a 30% discount i think it's alright

Tizoc

All for USD 38(ish)~
Hie6lKL.png

Tellaerin

There are cases where I might agree but the fact that the Dangerous Golf devs were completely oblivious [...] points towards it not being a conscious decision at all and more a case of not caring to put in more time.

Point taken. Based on that, it does sound more like something they didn't want to be bothered with, rather than something they would've liked to do but couldn't find a way to implement properly.

Agree with this,

Not so much with this. Even if it's not the ideal control method it's just flat out a bad idea not to have kb and mouse support at all. I mean by that logic there shouldn't be FPS games on console either.

That's probably a bad example. FPS games aren't fundamentally unplayable with a gamepad. Sure, a mouse is preferable, but playing with a gamepad doesn't transform a game into a joyless, frustrating experience.

I'm not sure why it would be a good idea to squeeze m/kb controls into games where the developer knows they work poorly. All that seems to lead to are people bitching in Steam reviews about how game X "sucks" because "the controls are bad", citing the m/kb scheme, while the people with gamepads are saying the opposite.

anybody picked Anima yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/380750/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

I remember having high hopes for this game, lack of reivews probably means nobody bought it

I wonder if that's based on the Anima tabletop RPG. Never really got to read much of the rules, but the one book I saw had gorgeous interior art.

EDIT: Apparently so, according to the product description. Huh, how about that.

Anima: Gate of Memories brings to videogames the world of Gaia from the Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG table-top books.

Honestly, more PC games need to be marketed as controller only. It's stupid not to have one at this point, and if a game is designed for a controller, shoehorning in crappy kb/m controls just for the sake of it is a waste of development resources. I mean, maybe make menus work with the mouse, but beyond that use the best control scheme for the job.

I don't subscribe to this line of thinking. Most big multiplatform games are designed with consoles in mind (because money) and by extension are designed for controllers. So should developers just not bother with M+KB controls?

I'll freely admit that there are some games which work better with controllers (Souls, Assassin's Creed, racing games and more) but I have yet to see any genre where a competent M+KB control scheme is impossible to achieve. And so there is no excuse for not implementing it properly when you make a PC version. This falls in the same category as having proper resolution/aspect ratio support for PC games. It's a bare minimum that we should expect from developers.

The only time this might not be a necessity is those rare cases like Brothers A Tale of Two Sons which was entirely built around having access to both analog sticks.

Can you give a few examples of games which were just not playable with a M+KB? And preferably examples where it was because the game's design demanded it and not because of poor implementation of M+KB controls.

Tellaerin

Can you give a few examples of games which were just not playable with a M+KB? And preferably examples where it was because the game's design demanded it and not because of poor implementation of M+KB controls.

It's possible to find people who can play anything with a mouse and keyboard (or a dance pad, or a light gun), even titles that most people agree are extremely awkward and not fun to play that way. So if I point to something like a fighting game, or anything relying heavily on dual analog controls, I'm sure you can point to people out there who have learned to play them with m/kb as your counterargument. So I feel like you're inviting me to stick my hand in a bear trap here, heh, and any concrete examples I give you will end up being pointless. :p

Endruen

It's possible to find people who can play anything with a mouse and keyboard (or a dance pad, or a light gun), even titles that most people agree are extremely awkward and not fun to play that way. So if I point to something like a fighting game, or anything relying heavily on dual analog controls, I'm sure you can point to people out there who have learned to play them with m/kb as your counterargument. So I feel like you're inviting me to stick my hand in a bear trap here, heh, and any concrete examples I give you will end up being pointless. :p
It's impossible to do graffitis in Jet Set Radio with a keyboard.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Been wondering on some of the EA games I've heard before. Like what happened to Rivals of Ether and Them's Fighting Herds?

Ludens

Banned
I have a strange bug :I

Steam shows I unlocked one achievement for Hard Reset Redux (kill 20 enemies using enviromental damage only), but I never installed the game.
Also if I click "show all achievements", there are none unlocked, like it should be.
A glitch?

Arthea

I have a strange bug :I

Steam shows I unlocked one achievement for Hard Reset Redux (kill 20 enemies using enviromental damage only), but I never installed the game.
Also if I click "show all achievements", there are none unlocked, like it should be.
A glitch?

I think so, I've seen this glitch before, don't remember which game it was, unfortunately

I've already acknowledged that some control schemes are better than others but if a competent control scheme can be achieved with M+KB then I see no reason to want developers to completely drop M+KB support. It is the primary control method of the entire platform and you want devs to just give up on it because some might find other controls better? Since you bring up fighting games... many people will agree that fight sticks are better than analog controllers for that genre. Should devs give up controller support for those games because another arguably better control scheme exists? Or racing games with wheel support instead of controller support?

EDIT - heck how about this... FPS actually controls way better with M+KB than controllers. Goodbye to all controller support for shooters on PC?

Pixieking

Banned
Speaking of random achievement glitches...

How safe would it be to use SAM (or a similar program?) on Total War: Shogun 2? I have an achievement unlocked from a save game I used which I want to lock again.

Knurek

How safe would it be to use SAM (or a similar program?) on Total War: Shogun 2? I have an achievement unlocked from a save game I used which I want to lock again.

VAC title? Unsafe.
Non-VAC title? Completely safe.

derExperte

https://www.indiegala.com/artifexmundi

Some previously unbundled ones in the high tier.

100% safe. Unfortunately for me I noticed that locking all achievements of a game does not raise the avg cheevo percentage back up, the game still gets counted with one achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom