• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the Sherlock Holmes tier trivia question :v?

I would not be surprised if someone got it right but it broke somehow. I gave both answers. Not like how I have given in the past but really gave the answers. So I figured it was not meant to be.

Or maybe everyone made me proud and already bought the games.

FFXII is a meat market BTW.

Thank God no weird trivia.

I used to think of you as one of the good ones.

Lomax

i think doing a vr thing is probably like step number 7000 if you have like actual phobia

the phobia stuff kind of sucks cos it's not something that's super easy to relate to cos ppl tell you like "yea i'm scared of spiders too" but they don't really mean the same thing as you do and so a solution for a person like that probably looks nothing like a solution for someone like me

but i think the anxiety that would come from "hey put on this hat and get into this spider experience" is kind of nerve wracking to me

I think a well done VR experience (that would take years and years of real research to develop) could potentially be a lower cost alternative to in person therapy. I think it could take advantage of the gaming environment to create a sense of empowerment that would be unique compared to the real world. And it would also allow for controlled exposure to things that aren't as easy to get access to in the real world, in a safer way (heights, dangerous animals, etc). I see it as a future thing, but it certainly doesn't exist right now and plopping a VR helm on someone and showing them spider pictures isn't going to fix anything.

Asiratlan

What you guys think about the actual games in the Humble Monthly Bundle? I didn't bought the bundle but i'm curious about which games actually may be interesting to play.

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dead by Daylight Beta -- MB-ECB42741FEE9E766 - Taken by Asiratlan

mp1990

Banned
Yeah, but it's probably the worst game in the bundle.
Oh yeah? That's unexpected for sure, I checked its Steam page a few months ago and it seemed very nice (although I recall the reviews being surprisingly low back then, so I should have kept my expectations in check). At least I can scrap the base game out of my wishlist :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I think a well done VR experience (that would take years and years of real research to develop) could potentially be a lower cost alternative to in person therapy. I think it could take advantage of the gaming environment to create a sense of empowerment that would be unique compared to the real world. And it would also allow for controlled exposure to things that aren't as easy to get access to in the real world, in a safer way (heights, dangerous animals, etc). I see it as a future thing, but it certainly doesn't exist right now and plopping a VR helm on someone and showing them spider pictures isn't going to fix anything.
i can't imagine it as a replacement for real therapy at the very least

like phobias have deep rooted internal crap that isn't necessarily "my brain is dumb and makes me panic when i see x". there's usually something else there (in my case a whole lot lol)

i can't bring myself to even open the storepage for that vr thing so u know, definitely not the right solution for me, but there's something to what you're saying

i can't imagine it as a replacement for real therapy at the very least

like phobias have deep rooted internal crap that isn't necessarily "my brain is dumb and makes me panic when i see x". there's usually something else there (in my case a whole lot lol)

i can't bring myself to even open the storepage for that vr thing so u know, definitely not the right solution for me, but there's something to what you're saying
Not to worry. Scientists have created medicine that can erase your emotional memory.

Hektor

Oh yeah? That's unexpected for sure, I checked its Steam page a few months ago and it seemed very nice (although I recall the reviews being surprisingly low back then, so I should have kept my expectations in check). At least I can scrap the base game out of my wishlist :p

You might wanna take a look at Supreme Commander instead then, since PA is a spiritual sequel to those.

Annubis

Whenever I look down from high up in a game (where falling down can happen / no invisible walls) I get that same tingly feeling in my toes I get whenever I look down from 'high' up.
Doesn't matter that my character won't die from the fall or anything, my brain still doesn't like heights.

Madn

Gave a try to Cat Girl Without Salad and it's not that bad. Got to the second boss before dying, i'll try to finish it after dinner

Definitely don't open the store page if you have a strong spider phobia.

You'd think that the developers of a game supposedly meant to help treat a fear of spiders wouldn't put pictures of spiders everywhere, but that is what they did, including one of the screen-shots being a in-your-face close-up picture. Honestly made me wonder if this was somebody's attempt at being funny.

What you guys think about the actual games in the Humble Monthly Bundle? I didn't bought the bundle but i'm curious about which games actually may be interesting to play.

Rocket League is already a multiplayer classic that's going to be supported for years, The Forest is already one of the better survival games, and is notable for having a single player mode. Planetary Annihilation Titans was a meh expansion for a mediocre RTS, Dungeon of the Endless is a very interesting rogue-like, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is an excellent co-op game (do note, no single player). Finally, I have no idea about Steredenn, Wasted is new (but is published by Adult Swim, which is usually a sign of quality), and Cat Girl Without Salad's going to be an exclusive for a few months so whatever.

Sakura Dungeon is out.

Whew...it's rather pricey compared to the previous titles.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/407330/

Never imagined a Sakura game would continue the tradition of blobbers.
ss_eddc850decdf48098c753fdaf8fdb75e6743ee56.jpg

Oh, blobbers. The most bizarre genre of RPG out there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
steam is doing the fucking thing where the mobile app wants me to provide a 2FA code from the mobile app to log in to the mobile app to get a 2FA code to provide to the mobile app *rolleyes* if only there were some standardized 2FA service valve could deploy. pity no one else has ever pulled off 2FA before.

Naarmight

Probably not the right place for this, but I feel I just got trolled by Nvidia, I got an email saying I had won 3rd prize in the Order of 10 sweepstakes, quite exciting yes?

Its a bloody Order of 10 pin :|

Also really glad I did not sign up for the Monthly bundle, really cant see myself signing up again

Not really liking that Wasted game. Has potential, but it's all too dark and everything looks the same.

I died on the last level before I could escape and lost everything I'd collected. Feels bad man.

steam is doing the fucking thing where the mobile app wants me to provide a 2FA code from the mobile app to log in to the mobile app to get a 2FA code to provide to the mobile app *rolleyes* if only there were some standardized 2FA service valve could deploy. pity no one else has ever pulled off 2FA before.

I'd say that there is a good chance that this was an intentional choice made to encourage you install the mobile client.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not to worry. Scientists have created medicine that can erase your emotional memory.
lol

Ucchedavāda;205545495 said:
Definitely don't open the store page if you have a strong spider phobia.

You'd think that the developers of a game supposedly meant to help treat a fear of spiders wouldn't put pictures of spiders everywhere, but that is what they did, including one of the screen-shots being a in-your-face close-up picture. Honestly made me wonder if this was somebody's attempt at being funny.
i mean, don't get me wrong, i test my limits pretty often and i won't shy away from looking at a picture or two in a controlled environment (as in, knowing beforehand, resizing my browser to like really small and then slowly scaling it up if i see it's not too bad and as long as it's not video), but yeah, it sounded like a nightmare so no thanks

and you know it's really often a problem you run into as an arachnophobic, like when looking at mods modders will usually have like a fumigation icon of a spider crossed out or just a comparison shot of spider/whatever they replaced it with and that's already pretty anxiety inducing so yeah...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Okay managed to get it working after restarting my phone. Got 2FA code to complete my purchase on my desktop.

qSA6JCO.png

(I'm paying with Steam Wallet credit, not a credit card, like I'm going to attach a credit card to Steam after the time they leaked my personal information to internet randos for no reason and then took forever to apologize)

Okay managed to get it working after restarting my phone. Got 2FA code to complete my purchase on my desktop.

qSA6JCO.png

(I'm paying with Steam Wallet credit, not a credit card, like I'm going to attach a credit card to Steam after the time they leaked my personal information to internet randos for no reason and then took forever to apologize)

With Valve's speed I assume your problem will be solved in the next decade if it needs human interaction and a few hours if not.
I wish they switched to something compatible with google authenticator, at least that way I can lose all my info conveniently at the same time :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dungeon of the Endless -- MB-F6E0414861494F90 - Taken by PaulSane. 29 entrants total.

t1464986434z1.png

Hektor

I remember when I had Steam credit. That was back before the Big Mobile Auth Cardpocalypse.

It feels like so long ago, now.

I completely forgot how it feels by now. The warmth and care. The touch on your hips. The sweat slowly running down your chest.

Steam credit, i miss you...

Saty

They should spin-off Steam as a separate company so they can hire people who will only work on Steam in a conventional company structure.

Yakkue

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-860B23949DA253EC - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Read Only Memories -- MB-E526E1004F4F242B - Taken by xist. 1 entrants total.
Cibele -- MB-79520B887D727CAF - Taken by derExperte. 1 entrants total.

t1464976516z1.png

I don't even really like Total War games, but the more I think about Total Warhammer, the more I think, "I should buy that!"

It's almost disturbing.
They should spin-off Steam as a separate company so they can hire people who will only work on Steam in a conventional company structure.
Valve's thought process seems to be:
Step 1. Have an idea.
Step 2. ...but how do you automate/crowdsource it?
Step 3: TBD.

Mikurden

I don't know just how well-established it is, but I think this a proven therapy method. It may not be for everyone (or may not be a good starting place for everyone), but it's not something this company just came up with -- I remember seeing a piece on software like this quite a few years ago, well before commercial VR was imminent. It's at the very least a stepping stone because surely it's a million times less terrifying than being in a room with actual spiders. That being said, it's not expected or even intended to be a pleasant experience -- you can dial up or down the intensity of the experience to your level of tolerance, but the point is that it will be uncomfortable and anxiety-inducing but you will force yourself to do it and you'll live through it and gradually become desensitized. Of course, up till now you'd be doing it in a clinical setting with your therapist talking you through it and encouraging you, so I don't how effective it'd be to try to do it on your own.

Well, that was more than I thought I'd write, but people kept talking about this like it was poorly-conceived at best and some kind of troll program at worst.

mp1990

Banned
Already redeemed The Forest today, so I had my fill of these roguelike survival games in my Steam account for a few years, you guys can have this

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (mp1990, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hurtworld -- MB-F3304656843545D3 - Taken by Eila. 7 entrants total.

t1464984837z1.png

Nzyme32

qSA6JCO.png

In that one day, we were all Stump. It was a Christmas present to us from Valve.

I still find it annoying that their apology and explanation indicate that it was a third party caching service provider that was at fault, but they can't / won't disclose who that was or if they continue to use them (which I assume they do since they didn't state otherwise). I'd rather just avoid that service provider and the kind of possibility that it could happen again. I'd have thought there would be fail-safe contingencies in place or something for that sort of thing

Ozium

the monthly is good, no repeats outside of rocket league, games that were on my wishlist (dungeon of the endless, steredenn, I was gonna get wasted next week but now I can play it now )

y'all ppl are crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom