• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
If you don't play Absolute Drift* at least give the soundtrack a listen.
*Play Absolute Drift.

And The Solus Project it out of EA. And buying this bundle gives me a lower price than the game alone probably thanks to owning The Ball already.

Tizoc

Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
*Play Absolute Drift.

Sell me
on Absolute Drift

chronomac

So happy to get Absolute Drift. Have an extra:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Snakebird -- MB-C3BD4E80A97CF00A - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.

t1465323841z1.png

So, should I be cheeky and call the summer DLC acheev "OH MY GOD IT'S A SUMMER.... SALE"?

EDIT: I mean, I'd be clear in the description that it's an in-game sale.

data

so, I bought it when it was at 5.09, that means that when the new games get revealed, it'd only cost an additional 4.09 for the BTA, right?

derExperte

Sell me
on Absolute Drift

You like drifting in racing games? This is like that without any bullshit, top-down with a cool minimalist artstyle, perfect controls and dozens of great songs. Disclaimer: I liked the Gymkhana events in the der Dirt series.

mp1990

Banned
So, are the games in the $10 tier any good? Viscera Clean-up Detail seems more like a joke game than anything else, and Craft The World... I don't know how to describe my feelings towards it.

Lomax

You like drifting in racing games? This is like that without any bullshit, top-down with a cool minimalist artstyle, perfect controls and dozens of great songs. Disclaimer: I liked the Gymkhana events in the der Dirt series.

You had me until the the disclaimer. Now I don't even want to activate the key.
I still will.

So, are the games in the $10 tier any good? Viscera Clean-up Detail seems more like a joke game than anything else, and Craft The World... I don't know how to describe my feelings towards it.

Viscera Clean-up Detail was tedious to me and one of the very few games that actually gave me motion sickness for some reason. You probably already have at least one version of it, it comes along with a few other games. Craft the World looks like every indie genre got together and had a baby. Reading about the tower defense elements was enough to turn me off.

Anyone got their Drunk Wizard cd-key from the Gleam.io giveaway posted here revoked?
I just received the message from Steam :S

EDIT: Revoked for other people too
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/EMWYJ/free-drunk-wizards

I just got mine a little bit ago and it hasn't been revoked yet but I'll keep an eye out.

rtcn63

Viscera being in the $10 tier is absurd, unless the game has changed drastically then when it was bundled for super cheap all those other times. Even with the added DLC, the gameplay just wasn't there.

Saty

Postmortem: Offworld Trading Company's Early Access campaign

Fortunately, our reviews were strong (82 on Metacritic, including a glowing review from Rock, Paper, Shotgun), the game had been on over 200K wishlists, and forums activity around the game was high, so we ended up selling nearly the exact same number of copies during our second launch as compared with our first (two-week sales of 23,607 vs. 23,457, respectively). Thus, we proved that a game can have a second launch although we certainly felt like we had significant headwinds from a lack of mainstream press interest.

They also have a section for what Steam should do to improve:

WHAT STEAM SHOULD DO DIFFERENTLY

1) Allow unlisted pages

However, Valve takes an all-or-nothing approach to Early Access; launch will put the game on the front page of Steam whether the developers want it there or not. During our Founders program, we sold Steam keys directly through our website, but Valve has become increasingly resistant to allowing developers to sell Steam keys without their games actually being for sale on Steam.

This policy is forcing some independent developers to other options for their first online sales. (Adam Saltsman launched Overland’s “First Access” on itch.io for this very reason, and they are even limiting the number of keys available for public sale.) Most developers would prefer to stick with Steam (as it has the most mature infrastructure) but are afraid of risking their reputation by launching too early.

The answer is to allow developers to sell games on Steam with unlisted store pages, meaning the page is only available via a direct link and does not show up in any advertisements, ranked lists, discovery queues, curator collections, or any other method for exposing the game to the average Steam consumer. This option would allow developers to start selling their fledgling games slowly while still benefiting from Steam’s infrastructure.

2) No user reviews

User reviews are a staple of online commerce, and Valve was wise to implement them, even with the potential chaos inherent with giving customers the power to judge a game anonymously. However, what exact purpose does an Early Access review serve when stating that the game is not ready? The game’s presence on Early Access is an explicit statement that the game is not ready!

Removing user reviews should also send a clear message to consumers that they are taking a risk by buying the product; the goal is not to trick people by removing reviews but to sell to less people, the ones who are onboard with experiencing an unfinished product.

3) No sales, No refunds

Implicit in the argument against user reviews is the belief that Early Access would be healthier if the games sold to less players overall but also to ones who are more dedicated. Turning off the developer’s ability to reduce the price of a game to drive sales and turning off the consumer’s ability to test out a game knowing that a refund is possible should both drive down game sales,

One potential alternative that would provide some flexibility in driving sales but without bringing in players not ready for Early Access would be to allow two ways to buy the game - a pre-order option and a play-now option. The latter could be slightly more expensive, which should keep away players who are looking for a deal, while the former provides a nice way for consumers who trust a developer to support them.

Nabs

Here youse go:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

1001 Spikes -- MB-CB8BBA5CA020509F - Taken by Jalal. 12 entrants total.

t1465324758z1.png

Teppic

1001 Spikes is a great game! People should get that.

For those who played both. How would 1001 Spikes compare to Spelunky?
They're not much alike. 1001 Spikes has levels you have to complete and laid out traps to avoid while finding the key to the exit and maybe a hidden golden skull along the way. There's no time limit, so in that regard it's the same. You can shoot and do a knife attack if you get close. No upgrades. You have 1001 lives. You have 1 hp and if you die you have to replay the level.

There's also some bonus modes I haven't played that much. One is a tower where you have to complete all levels in one go with a set of lives. That one is most like Spelunky I think.

Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
Play Absolute Drift.
*Play Absolute Drift.

And The Solus Project it out of EA. And buying this bundle gives me a lower price than the game alone probably thanks to owning The Ball already.

There's a car with M1 colors. That's enough! (the art and music are slick too).

mp1990

Banned
Viscera being in the $10 tier is absurd, unless the game has changed drastically then when it was bundled for super cheap all those other times. Even with the added DLC, the gameplay just wasn't there.

Viscera Clean-up Detail was tedious to me and one of the very few games that actually gave me motion sickness for some reason. You probably already have at least one version of it, it comes along with a few other games. Craft the World looks like every indie genre got together and had a baby. Reading about the tower defense elements was enough to turn me off.

Yikes, that sounds rough. Guess I'll stick with the BTA tier for now, thanks you guys.

Lomax

It wasn't the full game bundled those other times, just the various stand alone versions they have.

Postmortem: Offworld Trading Company's Early Access campaign

They also have a section for what Steam should do to improve:

I agree that all those should be opt-in options for developers. But honestly they could just use Beta branches and only sell pre-order keys on their site and it would do basically the same thing.

They're not much alike. 1001 Spikes has levels you have to complete and laid out traps to avoid while finding the key to the exit and maybe a hidden golden skull along the way. There's no time limit, so in that regard it's the same.

There's also some bonus modes I haven't played that much. One is a tower where you have to complete all levels in one go. That one is most like Spelunky I think.
Hm, alright. Thanks.

Lomax

I own 51 games now on GoG and the only one I directly purchased from there was The Witcher 2.

Edit: mostly off topic top of the page post!
anime

Vazduh

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

1001 Spikes -- MB-ABFBB67DDE763203 - Taken by Asiratlan. 3 entrants total.

t1465325362z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
Couldn't you... uh... buy a game on Steam, have GOG connect do its thing... then refund?

They check and reserve the right to revoke your game from your gog account.
Even it worked, what kind of huge idiot would do that instead of going all the way and pirate it?

chronomac

I turned on my Xbox One controller, started Absolute Drift...and the game thinks I'm holding left on the analog stick all the time. Can't navigate any menus or drive properly.

Anyone else seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom