• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
I turned on my Xbox One controller, started Absolute Drift...and the game thinks I'm holding left on the analog stick all the time. Can't navigate any menus or drive properly.

Anyone else seen this?

It happens all the time on Unity games lately. I'd check the forums, see if there's a fix or thread about it.

Unity + Xbox One controller = gamble lately.

Lomax

They check and reserve the right to revoke your game from your gog account.
Even it worked, what kind of huge idiot would do that instead of going all the way and pirate it?

It would be a fairly easy way to get the drm free GoG installer of the program if you wanted it. And with no risk of a DCMA letter like you can get from torrents. Not that I think most people would bother.

zkylon

zkylewd
And I just realised you play lol - literally the worst moba out there (yep, even HoN is better).
idk about worse, but it's pretty good

Not really gaming related, but it's Steam related.
Here is a developer showing how to create Steam achievements and how code to unlock achievements in GameMaker Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc74zptCNFM

Looks like it's quite tedious to add new achievements. Now think about the devs who added over 1000 achievements in Tales of Maj'eyal and have to keep track in all of them, all of the names, when and where to unlock them and all that
honestly a lot about game development is pretty tedious heh

chronomac

It happens all the time on Unity games lately. I'd check the forums, see if there's a fix or thread about it.

Unity + Xbox One controller = gamble lately.

Now that you mention that, I think the same thing happened with another game of mine - and I can't think of the name.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unity games do that. Is it on Unity?

Yes and no. Microsoft had the great idea to change the Xinput drivers for XB1 controller which aren't handled the same way as the XB360 controller. So it fucks up some games, especially those on Unity engine.

This issue is currently preventing me from switching to XB1 controller :/

Postmortem: Offworld Trading Company's Early Access campaign

They also have a section for what Steam should do to improve:

Thanks for posting this, there's a lot of interesting stuff in that article.

However, I find the 2nd and 3rd suggestion to be rather problematic, from an end-user point of view. Reviews are definitely useful for games in EA, as they can help you decide if the game is at a point where you want to join in. But I also see why developers would like them to go away (reviews made during EA likely don't reflect the final game). Perhaps reviews made during EA could be made to expire after a certain amount of time (a month or two?), and the reviewer would then have to re-"publish" it for the review to be counted on the store page.

And while I agree with disallowing sales, disallowing refunds just seems straight up anti-consumer to me.

There is also 3 Moves Ahead podcast from last year (link) where this is discussed, with Soren Jonson, Tyler Sigman (Darkest Dungeon), Jon Shafer (At the Gates) as guests. Worth a listen.

Is there any difference between the Steam version and the GOG version?

The GOG one's the original from the late 90s updated only so far as to work on modern systems.

The Steam one's a port of the mobile version from a few years ago - fairly well regarded, especially if you never played the original, but with some compromises compared to the original; see this review for some examples: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078818206/recommended/352220/

If you didn't play it back it in the day the cheap Steam version from this bundle's likely well worth a shot.

derExperte

Yes and no. Microsoft had the great idea to change the Xinput drivers for XB1 controller which aren't handled the same way as the XB360 controller. So it fucks up some games, especially those on Unity engine.

This issue is currently preventing me from switching to XB1 controller :/

Forgot about that. MS fixed the Unity issues but that introduced other problems so now we're back to Unity being problematic.

chronomac

Forgot about that. MS fixed the Unity issues but that introduced other problems so now we're back to Unity being problematic.

So are there any Unity games that work with the most up-to-date Xbox One drivers and, if so, are they just creating exceptions in their code to get them to work?

derExperte

So are there any Unity games that work with the most up-to-date Xbox One drivers and, if so, are they just creating exceptions in their code to get them to work?

Actually there's an update for AD which should fix this: http://steamcommunity.com/games/320140/announcements/detail/58909787496205240

The game engine for Absolute Drift has been updated to the latest version which should bring more performance improvements. Also, the input system has been changed which should fix the Xbox One controller bugs. Please try it out and report any bugs in the forum!

Dunno why it's still in beta, maybe has something to do with the upcoming Zen Edition.

Anno

Ucchedavāda;205968579 said:
Thanks for posting this, there's a lot of interesting stuff in that article.

However, I find the 2nd and 3rd suggestion to be rather problematic, from an end-user point of view. Reviews are definitely useful for games in EA, as they can help you decide if the game is at a point where you want to join in. But I also see why developers would like them to go away (reviews made during EA likely don't reflect the final game). Perhaps reviews made during EA could be made to expire after a certain amount of time (a month or two?), and the reviewer would then have to re-"publish" it for the review to be counted on the store page.

And while I agree with disallowing sales, disallowing refunds just seems straight up anti-consumer to me.

There is also 3 Moves Ahead podcast from last year (link) where this is discussed, with Soren Jonson, Tyler Sigman (Darkest Dungeon), Jon Shafer (At the Gates) as guests. Worth a listen.

Soren did a more recent 3MA where he expounds a bit on what's laid out in this article while also talking a bit more about the game.

And yeah, dissalowing refunds is problematic. It sounds like if Valve were to do #1, then #2 and #3 might just be unnecessary anyway. Or maybe take the approach that Stardock did with GalCiv 3 and make the EA version absurdly expensive. That should help filter it down to only players who really want in on the creation process.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Delicious Waffles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Read Only Memories #1 -- MB-68C1F2D9D1B0EAA1 - Taken by Barajas_201. 6 entrants total.
1001 Spikes -- MB-E168C63A9FF69512 - Taken by Vazra. 12 entrants total.
Read Only Memories #2 -- MB-9F4D0E3975082209 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.

t1465337470z1.png

Good luck. :)

Wok

This is like a dream bundle.

Humble Staff Picks Bundle

$1
1001 Spikes
Absolute Drift
Snake Bird

BTA
Hand of Fate
Death Trap
+ more games coming soon

$10
Viscera Clean Up Detail (+ house of horror DLC)
Craft The World

Hand of Fate is dope. Buy the BTA, people!

Eila

Had Drunk Wizard removed within a minute. Freaked me out, only second time I've activated a stolen key, lol. The other one took months to get revoked, though.

neonglow

For the Humble Bundle, I can't decide between beating the average and going to the $10 tier. Are the games in the $10 tier worth another $5?

Had Drunk Wizard removed within a minute. Freaked me out, only second time I've activated a stolen key, lol. The other one took months to get revoked, though.

It wasn't stolen, actually. The dev backed out of a promotion deal they had and revoked all the keys without saying anything about it.

For the Humble Bundle, I can't decide between beating the average and going to the $10 tier. Are the games in the $10 tier worth another $5?

I haven't played the full version of Viscera Cleanup Detail, but I have played Craft the World. While that game is fun (I have played for about 13 hours), and building your Dwarfish settlement is enjoyable, it suffers from some design choices that cause it to get rather tedious.

Firstly, the game employs a system similar to Minecraft, in which you have to drag different materials into a specific pattern to enable crafting of different items. The game shows you the pattern, and you can double click (IIRC) to fill out all of a specific material, but you still have to do this every time you wish to craft something, often necessitating flipping between different categories of materials, which gets really tedious.

Secondly, the game has a research tree by which you unlock new crafting recipes, but it is not so much a tree as a narrow path. You basically have no choice but to craft at least one of every recipe so that you can move forward and unlock stuff that you actually want to use. I would much have preferred a system like in Terraria, where your ability to build stuff is gated by your access to resources. This is also the major reason why I have not continued to play this game, as I working my way through the research tree simply feels like a chore, while at the same time greatly limiting what I could actually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom