• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you have to be a full member to do a giveaway? ModBot should message you right away, he definitely isn't broken.

Edit: Do you mean you were trying to enter a giveaway? You only get a message if you won in that case.
nope, i was trying to create a giveaway of my own
and i think i saw a giveaway by a Junior member before, i may be wrong though
Junior members can make ModBot giveaways.

Several people have said that ModBot wasn't responding when they were trying to create giveaways, so it's likely that it has a bug. Prob should wait for Stumpakapow/someone else with access to ModBot's guts to elucidate the problem.

Tellaerin

You realize that every department store in the world is heavily "curated" right? That the mere act of getting onto Walmart store shelves can make or break a company? The real world isn't app stores. Regardless of your opinion on greenlight or curation, the comparison is completely invalid.

I seriously doubt that the level of "curation" that goes on in retail (or on Amazon, if you prefer) would satisfy the people who complain bitterly about Greenlight being crap and how Valve has an obligation to them to vet the content appearing on Steam.

And I'm sorry if I don't sound nice.

Lomax

I seriously doubt that the level of "curation" that goes on in retail (or on Amazon, if you prefer) would satisfy the people who complain bitterly about Greenlight being crap and how Valve has an obligation to them to vet the content appearing on Steam.

And I'm sorry if I don't sound nice.

I think what most of us want is the facade of Greenlight to be done away with and the store to get some legitimate improvements in usability. I don't think most people really want to go back to the days when Pinball and VNs couldn't get on Steam. What most of us grumble about is the fact that Greenlight is another one of Valve's half baked ideas that seems to have fallen by the wayside and that the store itself still languishes in mediocrity.

Ghazi

Destiny got way better with patches and expansions. The Division gets worse with every passing day. The game launched with relatively few issues, and it was pretty fun to play, until Massive decided to dick around with the loot systems and Dark Zone punishments, so people could kill anyone in the Dark Zone and not get punished for going rogue. Then, there's the lack of any kind of anti cheat implementation, the countless glitches and exploits that are always fixed way later than they should (the backpack glitch that locked people out of their game took about a month to get fixed, and the only explanation for that was that it was part of a big patch)
They also love to launch their big patches or expansions on the same date as big releases (first Incursion and backpack glitch fix, Dark Souls 3 release day. Second Incursion and big patch, Overwatch release day)

Oh, I agree to an extent, but the game has mostly improved. That still doesn't change the fact about the growing unrest that both communities share as their game is updated. I've played both games extensively and Division definitely needed some changes on release (i.e. there wasn't enough incentive for going rogue in DZ, which they don't seem to know how to balance). I just think that games like these are looked at differently than standard SP/MP games and the communities are a lot more... vocal about how they feel about the current state of the game.

sheaaaa

I think what most of us want is the facade of Greenlight to be done away with and the store to get some legitimate improvements in usability. I don't think most people really want to go back to the days when Pinball and VNs couldn't get on Steam. What most of us grumble about is the fact that Greenlight is another one of Valve's half baked ideas that seems to have fallen by the wayside and that the store itself still languishes in mediocrity.

Aren't store improvements and the perceived quality of the games that get on Steam now two different issues? Half-baked as Greenlight is now, it's responsible for hundreds of good to great games getting on Steam, so I find it hard to see it in anything but a good light.

Endruen

Dead by Daylight is kinda neat. I played two matches as the killer and one as a survivor. The three matches were won by the killer.
We have to arrange a match and play together.

Coldsun

Banned
Dead by Dailight is kinda neat. I played two matches as the killer and one as a survivor. The three matches were won by the killer.
We have to arrange a match and play together.

I'm looking forward to playing it. I really like the idea behind it and it doesn't look too hokey which is always a plus.

Lomax

Aren't store improvements and the perceived quality of the games that get on Steam now two different issues? Half-baked as Greenlight is now, it's responsible for hundreds of good to great games getting on Steam, so I find it hard to see it in anything but a good light.

No, because the only real problem with garbage games being on Steam is if they make good ones harder to find. And thus far the things Valve has implemented like curators and the discovery queue haven't really done the job very well.

If I like and share this thread on facebook, will gabe notice me

Only if gabe is your friend.

sheaaaa

No, because the only real problem with garbage games being on Steam is if they make good ones harder to find. And thus far the things Valve has implemented like curators and the discovery queue haven't really done the job very well.

But how do you define good? The range of games on Steam right now is so broad and covers so many diverse interests that it seems a mind-boggling task to make "good ones" easier to find for each person.

I'm of this opinion - let everything in, give them the same play and let the developers market their own games.

Endruen

Well, the effort is greatly appreciated either way. I'm betting they didn't think it would attract so much attention.

Yeah, and whenever it loads, it just shows my beta key. Sorry :S

EDIT: I don't know if it is the one I used, actually. Check it if you want: ZHJWQ-PFP8Z-7PKIM

Hey, it's free, trying it out won't cost anything.

Except for your immortal soul!

The-Addams-Family-addams-family-788121_400_300.jpg

MazeHaze

Banned
Played a little Dead by Daylight. Really cool idea, but man it really just isn't much fun to play. It feels like when trying to balance it they made both sides slightly frustrating to play as.

PAUonePUNCH

Neo Member
Whats with the new player controlled horror guy games coming out now? Dig it but it seems odd that Friday The 13th and DBD are so similar.

Lomax

But how do you define good? The range of games on Steam right now is so broad and covers so many diverse interests that it seems a mind-boggling task to make "good ones" easier to find for each person.

I'm of this opinion - let everything in, give them the same play and let the developers market their own games.

That puts a lot of the power in the hands of game "journalists" though. Steam needs a much better system of "oh you like Endless Legend? Maybe you'll like Age of Wonders III." Hell, they could just implement Amazon's recommendation system (which is publically available) and it would be an improvement. The current system seems to be completely random.

The fear for Steam as a completely open platform is that it will turn into the android app store, which is garbage. Greenlight was supposed to be a compromise, one that crowdsourced the curation. But it's basically just turned into "donate $100 and don't break any laws and you're in."

Tellaerin

I'm of the same opinion as sheaaaa as far as keeping the floodgates open, but I also agree that there's room for improvement when it comes to giving users tools to help them find content they're interested in. The discovery queue could definitely use improvement, and the ability to filter out all of a particular dev or publisher's titles from searches (hello, Digital Homicide :p ) would be very welcome, for starters. I expect publishers would be strongly opposed to giving users that ability, but I think it's a fair tradeoff for keeping it an open market.

r3n4ud

Played a little Dead by Daylight. Really cool idea, but man it really just isn't much fun to play. It feels like when trying to balance it they made both sides slightly frustrating to play as.
Played a few matches as well, as survivor. There was no teamwork at all, people doing their own thing

Damn frightful when you're limping along and looking back at the killer hot on your ass lol

You know what's the worst? When you go through a door, fall one story, and your leg falls off. Annoying.
SUPERHOT is the most innovative...

Stardew Valley's immense hype train massively derailed SUPERHOT's viral
astroturfing
marketing campaign.

data

The AMD livestream is really bad.

The HP laptop seems nice, but the woman sounds like what I'd imagine a strict Asian mom to sound like...

And Dell has to show off their laptop too.

The AMD livestream is really bad.

The HP laptop seems nice, but the woman sounds like what I'd imagine a strict Asian mom to sound like...

And Dell has to show off their laptop too.

yeah...the majority of that event was pretty bad

they would have been better off just doing a special event for the card/ itself either last week or next week timed before the 1070 launch

dex3108

AMD 480 looks good but TFlops numbers mean nothing to me I want to see raw benchmark numbers and unfortunately NDA will be lifted on release date (June 29th) if I saw correctly. They lowered power consumption but it is still a bit high when you see that TDP for 1080 is 180W. Also only one benchmark on live presentation (and it looks like they used lower settings) means nothing to me. It looks like 480 is good card but AMD presented it poorly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Greenlight's purpose has quietly shifted from "Vote for what what you'd like to see on Steam" to "Report titles that would be inappropriate for Steam". It's essentially a venue for the community to bring to Valve's attention ahead of time games that would only be yanked from the store later for one reason or another. Naturally, some slip through the cracks, but Greenlight remains in its current form despite years-old admissions from Valve itself that it's imperfect precisely because Totally Not Pokemon: Pokemon Pokemon Pokemon Oh Wait Did I Say Pokemon I Meant Not Pokemon and other nonsense has no place on the service.

Lomax

If AMD puts a card on the market more powerful than a 980 for only $200 they have the chance to shock the market and do what nVidia did with the 970. That's half the price of the 1070 and possibly only marginally less powerful. People don't care enough about energy efficiency to discount that much difference. Seems much more likely it will be around $300 which won't be nearly as compelling.

AMD 480 looks good but TFlops numbers mean nothing to me I want to see raw benchmark numbers and unfortunately NDA will be lifted on release date (June 29th) if I saw correctly. They lowered power consumption but it is still a bit high when you see that TDP for 1080 is 180W. Also only one benchmark on live presentation (and it looks like they used lower settings) means nothing to me. It looks like 480 is good card but AMD presented it poorly.

yeah...I think the card itself will be good for what they're going for but it just seemed like they shoehorned the 480 news into an event where it really wasn't meant to be shown

My guess is they probably weren't going to show anything until E3's PC Show and now they'll just show part today and the other part then just to get something out there

dex3108

yeah...I think the card itself will be good for what they're going for but it just seemed like they shoehorned the 480 news into an event where it really wasn't meant to be shown

My guess is they probably weren't going to show anything until E3's PC Show and now they'll just show part today and the other part then just to get something out there

Another thing that makes me a bit sceptical is that they used only AotS as benchmark. If you have strong product that has good numbers in many benchmarks show that then. Show real life games. Also NDA lifts on release day that always makes me sceptical (at least in case of games I can see some gameplay before release).

The 480 is gonna be my future card. $200 is just perfect for my budget. I'm gonna aim for the 8gb version though.

Nvidia cards is always overpriced here. Even the secondhand 970 is still priced at $300-350 nowadays. Ridiculous. I can't imagine what's gonna be the price of new 1070/1080.

Salsa

so Humble Bundle just took my money and gave me no keys

what do

nvm. just took like half an hour weirdly.

The 480 is gonna be my future card. $200 is just perfect for my budget. I'm gonna aim for the 8gb version though.

Nvidia cards is always overpriced here. Even the secondhand 970 is still priced at $300-350 nowadays. Ridiculous. I can't imagine what's gonna be the price of new 1070/1080.

I think I just saw someone in the B/S/T offering an Asus Strix 970 for $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom