• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Gone home doesn't have a strong twist or story and tbh I think it's popular because people like that one aspect of the plot too much because it's a very popular topic but the game itself is very zzz and it kind of rests on a plot that isn't possible in reality iirc?

It's a family melodrama. It's totally plausible.

The game works a lot more if you're in your 30s, it's very nostalgia heavy, it does a great job of capturing a lot of aspects of being young in the 90s.

It's like a VN, but with more freedom and better graphics.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I played Gone Home when it came out not knowing anything.

I liked it because I like exploring houses, and it was a well-made house with good atmosphere that was interesting to explore. The plot was okay, my favorite part of the plot is actually something hidden many may not notice about the father.

It had added appeal since the studio who made are stationed in the same city I live in (Portland, Oregon), and the game takes place here too, and there is a literal shit ton of references to things around the area in the game. From actual shops, bands, tourists spots, movements, and more. Game is jacked-full of local flavor, which maybe made it seem more like a home to me? Who knows.

ArjanN

Didn't realize how many people disliked Gone Home. Like many of my Steam games I've had it for a while and haven't played it. Maybe I will just take a pass on it.

Nah, the game was generally pretty well received, the most vocal haters were mostly people who hate any "walking simulator" on principle.

Hektor

I liked Gone Home because it excels at player autonomous story exploration - the same things Dark Souls does - combining it with a more human, authentic story and because it took place in one of the most atmospheric cos detailed places in Videogames that gave a perfect representation of the 90's.

I understand why someone like Soulflarz wouldn't know about the last point tho.

Sch1sm

Gone home doesn't have a strong twist or story and tbh I think it's popular because people like that one aspect of the plot too much because it's a very popular topic but the game itself is very zzz and it kind of rests on a plot that isn't possible in reality iirc?

It did things well, though. Terms of atmosphere, tension, thematic imagery such as the cross in that one room. You're right, though. Just a walking/exploration sim with questionable roots, and a story investment that needs to be heavily looked into if you're someone who'll just speed through it. Played it in February and enjoyed it, but it took a second run through to piece things together outside of the sister.

There really isn't a twist, unless you consider the sister
being alive in Salem or whatever
a twist. Those twists probably all lie in the
relationship between the parents, then dad + Oscar, and mom + ranger Rick
or whatever, but it's mostly speculation and never really closed outside of confirmation
the parents are working on their shit

E: it all depends on how into it you were. I still love the Street Fighter ref in there. It's cute.

Dusk Golem

I think one thing to add about liking Gone Home is if you like Walking Simulators or not.

I feel like a lot of people experience their first Walking Sim with Gone Home, or go into it not knowing it is one. I personally am a fan of the genre, I have enjoyed several well-made walking sims and have a big appreciation of exploration and game worlds, so maybe why they appeal to me.

But it's a required taste, some will find them dull or a bore, and I feel Gone Home gets a lot of flack because it is many people's first walking sim, or they're not aware it is one. In my opinion it is one of the better ones, though. Has a good structured narrative, lots of little things to do, detail to the house, interesting setting (imo), and sense of progression & stakes, though since the game leaves you in the dark for so long I could see some being disappointed with how the plot eventually turns out in the last bit of the game (I liked it well enough, though).

derExperte

Even if you think that what GH has to offer is boring the game gives you everything in an economic way and doesn't waste time delivering its content, one can run through it very quickly, the house is small with details and story snippets every few steps. Compare that to something like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which tells many personal, comparable stories and goes for nostalgia too but has zero respect for the player, the differences in both games approaches are very interesting imo.

Content in this product may not be appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work.

Here are frequently applied tags that people have used when describing this game:
Action Adventure

Oh that won't get old fast. Thanks Valve.

Hmm, the DE costs the same as the normal version....

Pre-order now the Watch Dogs®2 Deluxe Edition and get access to :
- The game
- The Deluxe Pack : 2 personalisation packs

WHAT A DEAL. Thanks Ubisoft.

Backlogger

Does the Watch Dogs Season Pass include the 3 DLCs on the store? Or are they separate?

I already have the base game but want to complete it. What's the cheapest way to do that?

I kind of wish the complete package discounted based on already owning the game...

Does the Watch Dogs Season Pass include the 3 DLCs on the store? Or are they separate?

I already have the base game but want to complete it. What's the cheapest way to do that?

I kind of wish the complete package discounted based on already owning the game...

Season Pass is all 3 of those DLC listings

I don't know if it includes the White Hat Hacker missions and outfit though...that may be Deluxe or Complete only

derExperte

Hinweis: Purchases made in this region will only receive the Russian and Simplified Chinese languages.

Wtf?

That's been a thing for a while now with Ubisoft games on Steam, see W_D1 or FC4. Makes no sense considering all the region locks in place. EA does the same for Russia on Origin.

Vuze

Man, I miss "regionfree" Steam store times everytime I browse the SteamDB page of a game and see the prices :(

Anyway... Watch Doggies 1 worth it for 12€? Kinda wanna give it another chance after the horrible launch. A buddy recently played it and told me he actually enjoyed it plus WD2 looks kinda appealing to me (edgy 1337 marketing aside)...

Wasn't that price error on Watch Dogs Complete Edition from the Aussie Store like $6 last year?

was something like that

---

and just glancing through the WD2 threads...I guess I'm one of the few people who don't really get hung up over art style/presentation decisions..."OMG this dude has stickers on his laptop...I can't take this seriously"

if it looks like fun and plays well enough for me then ok...I really couldn't care less about the other stuff

It's a game...not something I'm going to take super seriously

That's been a thing for a while now with Ubisoft games on Steam, see W_D1 or FC4. Makes no sense considering all the region locks in place. EA does the same for Russia on Origin.

Actually for China its new. Have FC4 and AC Syndicate but never had a chinese language restriction.

Strazyplus

66abf46c70e942bb0ebb0ce1e01e6a71.png

WD2 wait for reviews like I did for WD1

Dusk Golem

I was PM'ing Tizoc a reply about a question about the Steam Summer Sale Hidden Gems topic, since I think I'll be tackling it this year, but I thought maybe I should share what I was PM'ing since I'm still fully deciding how I should tackle the topic this year, as with a lack of daily deals and such, I think it might be more valuable.

What I wrote:

I will be tackling it this sale, Going to do a lot of digging. While of course I pay special attention to my horror games, the purpose is to find a big variety. I am trying to devise some new ways to bring particular attention to certain games, I have ideas but to see how well they work out, though when I hold the sales I do a few small rules I use so I'm not just listing every game on Steam. They're pretty simple, but can cut down a lot, and with Daily Deals gone it gets bit trickier, but the simple rules I am following this year:

01.) It is the cheapest it's ever been or matched for the cheapest it's ever been (price mistakes withstanding), WITH THE EXCEPTION of games that are on sale for the first time in a long time (2+ years at least, case by case basis).

02.) The game cannot have been bundled more than 5 times (this rule has gotten a bit more lenient, since I do want to include games that have been bundled, but also avoid games that are constantly bundled).

03.) Because of the recent rise in number of games to shift through during the last couple years, I think I'm going to not list games that get under a certain percentage in user scores, I haven't decided the number yet, but debating.

Also thinking of trying to encourage people to do write-ups of games they'd recommend, and link them in the list, and then do the order by either cheapest price or alphabetical, but also have a 'tier' list of user recommendations, but I'm not sure if that would take off or not. But still formulating ideas and trying to prep time ahead of time since it'll probably be a long haul to sort through.

---

Anything you guys can think to add to this, any ideas, like or dislike anything I was deciding? What do you guys think, still a bit towards summer sale but this promises to be quite the behemoth with the number of games, lack of dailies now.

MUnited83

For you.
Man, I miss "regionfree" Steam store times everytime I browse the SteamDB page of a game and see the prices :(

Anyway... Watch Doggies 1 worth it for 12€? Kinda wanna give it another chance after the horrible launch. A buddy recently played it and told me he actually enjoyed it plus WD2 looks kinda appealing to me (edgy 1337 marketing aside)...
WD is worth it if you pick up the Bad Blood DLC.

hohoXD123

To be fair to WD2, the setting does seems a lot nicer than the previous game and the main character doesn't seem as dull/forgetful.

MUnited83

For you.
I won't lie, the WD 2 parkouring system bas me hyped. If the game still has Dark Souls style invasions some rooftop chases would be great.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait what the hell Mirror's Edge 2 came out like just now and it looks very bland?

What.

Not on Steam = no enthusiasm. At least from me.

Kagemusha

Scat stuff needs to be banned from Steam. I've seen two games now about flinging scat. Another game about traveling the lower intestines, and another about turds floating in soup.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Scat stuff needs to be banned from Steam. I've seen two games now about flinging scat. Another game about traveling the lower intestines, and another about turds floating in soup.
More typical American prudishness trying to dictate its twisted form of morality to the rest of the world.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was PM'ing Tizoc a reply about a question about the Steam Summer Sale Hidden Gems topic, since I think I'll be tackling it this year, but I thought maybe I should share what I was PM'ing since I'm still fully deciding how I should tackle the topic this year, as with a lack of daily deals and such, I think it might be more valuable...

Anything you guys can think to add to this, any ideas, like or dislike anything I was deciding? What do you guys think, still a bit towards summer sale but this promises to be quite the behemoth with the number of games, lack of dailies now.

Personally having seen those threads before, I'd prefer to have fewer more interesting recommendations than the kitchen sink approach. Like instead of 100 write-ups, maybe just 30 curated write-ups and then a bunch of text listings. I know a lot of other people prefer the opposite, so I can't say if this is feedback worth hearing or not.

Kagemusha

I'm not asking for a ban from the store. I just think Valve needs to think about how to make the new release and discovery cues not get swamped by fads. Does Valve think it's a good idea if the discovery cue, in a single day, shows users:

Freedom Poopie
Muddy Heights 2
Where's My Mommy
Super Dupe Party Pooper
There's Poop in my Soup

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Not even AAA games are safe - I was honestly surprised at the amount of time I spent in LEGO: Jurassic World digging through dinosaur shit.

Backlogger

Season Pass is all 3 of those DLC listings

I don't know if it includes the White Hat Hacker missions and outfit though...that may be Deluxe or Complete only

I think I have the Deluxe Edition, but not the complete edition. I don't know how I can tell though

At any rate, thanks! I think I'll grab the SP

So I fairly enjoyed Two Worlds II and there is some more DLC coming. I am reading the store description and it spoils the death of the only character I liked from the game.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm not asking for a ban from the store. I just think Valve needs to think about how to make the new release and discovery cues not get swamped by fads. Does Valve think it's a good idea if the discovery cue, in a single day, shows users:

Freedom Poopie
Muddy Heights 2
Where's My Mommy
Super Dupe Party Pooper
There's Poop in my Soup
My discovery queue only seems to show me anime, so I'd actually prefer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom