• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
pretty cool vid by matthew vandervander that gets into why the bonfire warp from dks2 and 3 sucks and why it hurt its world design

i really enjoyed it and i think it really help straighten out some ideas i had about why i couldn't enjoy the world in dsk3 as much as in dks1 even tho dks3 had really stellar level design

Volimar

It's coming.

U5CuDod.jpg

Ozium

Should I go back to WAtch Dogs? I played a little bit and thought it was interesting, but didn't get beyond the first couple missions... I played some AR arcade games which was cool..

it's still installed.

You should be able to access the options using the "Enhanced Steam" menu at the top of each page. As for steamcommunity.com, that's a Mozilla bug.
D'oh. Was searching for an addon icon similar to that on Chrome. Very nice to see the shiny neat additions now on Firefox where I mostly browse :D

That Community Firefox bug will be pertain or is it just a matter of waiting for the final FF48 release. Thanks for all your work, I'm happy to see the wait was worth it.

Here we go with your impressions for Jerry McPartlin - Rebel with a Cause:

The story: You play Jerry McPartlin, an aspiring rock star in 1950s America who has been touring dive bars across the country and has returned to his Louisiana hometown at the urging of a Hopi shaman, only to find a series of murders has been occurring. Almost everyone is afraid to leave their rooms (and you know, this helps save money on character models.) You have to figure out who's behind the murders, and learn a little something about the disappearance of your parents at the same time.

Even if you overlook the fact that Hopis aren't even native to Louisiana, the premise of the story is...well I won't say it's bad because it's actually on par with point-and-click adventures. It just felt underdone. A lot of plot points were not properly explained, and I sure hope it wasn't because they were planning a sequel. (According to the developer's website, this game hasn't even been released yet! ...At least they still show up in the Steam forums from time to time.)

The gameplay: Click to walk the easiest path to a destination, double click to run in a beeline towards it, then double back around obstacles. In some areas this is especially jarring, such as the school: your character weaves drunkenly between desks or down a tight hallway. As for items, right click to look and left click to interact. This becomes irritating when you realize some items require you to look at them as opposed to interact with them. Interacting with a picture tells you that you can't do anything with it...but looking gets you what you need. They couldn't have made both functions identical here? Speaking of items, a lot of the areas in the game are huge spaces with virtually no interactables. You can go to the town square, see lots of buildings, and Jerry has nothing to say about any of them. If you really couldn't be bothered for those extra descriptions, couldn't you have put the two buildings you need side by side and save all that wasted space?

Also, there are so many literally useless items. One item - the bowling ball - has no functional use in the game except for trying to use it on everything to get two achievements. (The achievement for finding all the interactions is the only one I couldn't get, and it doesn't even look like there's a list online anywhere.)

Finally, be ready for loading. Lots and lots of loading. Several quests entail speaking to one person for one bit of info, then leaving to talk to someone else for one more snippet of info, going to a third place to pick up the item, etc. In those parts it actually seems like you spend more time loading than you do playing.

The graphics: Apart from the wasted space, not too bad. The few characters they had look good, even though they once again saved on character modelling by having a set of identical triplets.

The audio: There were a few nice tracks attempting to emulate 50s rock and roll. There is a running gag in the game where Jerry has a rivalry with Jimmy Lash, and Jimmy's song keeps playing on the jukebox. Eventually there's a chance to change it..but the next song sounds like it's the same style (Yeah, I know, indie game, can only afford to pay one musical group...but make the effort to sound a little different if you're gonna do that!) None of the characters attempt a Louisiana accent. A few characters attempt "vaguely Southern," including the Native American woman, for whom that makes like the least sense. The dialogue is a little janky, but not much. It's...alright.

The length: Took me 3.3 hours to complete the game. I wonder how much of that was spent on a loading screen.

The verdict: It's weird. This game had a decent premise and loads of potential. It feels too short story-wise and too long gameplay-wise. I would have liked to see more streamlined quests, better optimization for quicker loading, and a little more fleshing out of the characters and plot. I didn't hate it, but it's below average. I wouldn't jump to recommend it, but if you already had it in a bundle and you've got nothing better to do, you might want to give it a shot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
D'oh. Was searching for an addon icon similar to that on Chrome. Very nice to see the shiny neat additions now on Firefox where I mostly browse :D

That Community Firefox bug will be pertain or is it just a matter of waiting for the final FF48 release. Thanks for all your work, I'm happy to see the wait was worth it.

With any luck, that bug should be fixed by the time FF48 is released to stable. Once the bug is fixed those features should work on the community side. It's just a matter of time.

DCMA when?
Bottom of store page blurb:

GALAXY IN TURMOIL AND AFFILIATED SITES, FORUMS, DISCORD, AND SOCIAL MEDIA SITES ARE NOT ENDORSED BY LUCASFILM LTD OR THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS SITE CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.STARWARS.COM. STAR WARS, THE STAR WARS LOGO, ALL NAMES AND PICTURES OF STAR WARS CHARACTERS, VEHICLES AND ANY OTHER STAR WARS RELATED ITEMS ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS AND/OR COPYRIGHTS OF LUCASFILM LTD., OR THEIR RESPECTIVE TRADEMARK AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS.

The Force is in turmoil.

Neospartan

Neo Member
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 8.6. This release includes the following changes:
  • Added an item counter to both party's item selection in trade offer windows
  • Added a filter box to wishlist pages, making it easy to find games by name
  • Wishlist sort and filter options are now in a drop down menu, rather than links
  • Added a new wishlist sort option to sort by discount dollar amount
  • Video player HD settings will now be saved between page loads
  • Wishlist totals for large wishlists will display after pressing a button, improving performance
  • Fixed a bug that caused highlighting to break on activity pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused coupons not to display correctly on store pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused "Not Interested" tags to not show on continuous scrolling search results
  • Fixed a bug that caused users homepage carousel to be malformed in some cases
  • Fixed a layout bug with regional price comparison on sale items
  • Gamefly has been renamed to Direct2Drive in price comparisons
  • References to the EU2 region have been removed from regional price displays
  • Closed stores Shinyloot, Adventure Shop, GameTap, GetGames, and Gameolith were removed from comparisons
This update is available for Google Chrome and should update itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. The beta version of the Firefox extension is now available on firefox.enhancedsteam.com

Once again, a HUGE "thank you" goes out to contributor JoiNNN for helping immensely with this release, a lot of these features wouldn't have been possible without him.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Would it be too much to ask for a button to invert sorting?
A-Z to Z-A
Low Price to High Price
Recently Added to uhm Added a long time ago
etc, etc

Either way, great work!
Thanks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would it be too much to ask for a button to invert sorting?
A-Z to Z-A
Low Price to High Price
Recently Added to uhm Added a long time ago
etc, etc

Either way, great work!
Thanks.

Oh you mean for wishlist pages? I'll see what I can do.

Woah, Gloria Victis is finally playable (EA) soon. It's been years since the first time I saw their kickstarter.

I hope it's gonna be good.

zkylon

zkylewd
not sure if i like snakebird

it's kind of neat, but it doesn't seem to be clicking with how my brain works

also i kind of found the perfect tracer picture for a new avatar but i like my current picture too much

ughhh

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

also i kind of found the perfect tracer picture for a new avatar but i like my current picture too much

ughhh

Edit your current avatar to look like tracer?
EDIT: Im drunk and bored
efd47c2baf.png

The Inon Zur mention reminded me to look up Dragon Age: Origin's soundtrack... and apparently the OST only included like 1/2 of the songs in that game. I hate it when they do that.

ughhh

For Overwatch avatars, nothing will ever beat this one:
kyDOuy7.jpg

cropped from this image by GAFfer MarioHead3

mp1990

Banned

ughhh
Same here, tried it for half an hour today and found to be very charming and witty, but also really tricky, to a point where I'm pretty sure the later levels will be beyond my reach, and either I'll have to drop it or power through it using a guide (which is the opposite of fun for me when it comes to puzzle games). I'll keep going through it, but honestly, since Overwatch released I've been finding to be harder and harder to focus on any game besides it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Share the Joy -- MB-C909344842BFDA22 - Taken by kagamin. 6 entrants total.

t1465529844z1.png

Ozium

ughhh

I'm currently in the same spot. I'll keep trying.

Same here, tried it for half an hour today and found to be very charming and witty, but also really tricky, to a point where I'm pretty sure the later levels will be beyond my reach, and either I'll have to drop it or power through it using a guide (which is the opposite of fun for me when it comes to puzzle games). I'll keep going through it, but honestly, since Overwatch released I've been finding to be harder and harder to focus on any game besides it.

looks like you folks need to... GIT GUD

I suck at it too :( But I love the concept, but man is it hard........ :( RIP

Enter the Dragon Punch is the king of Snakebird

Bluth54

DCMA when?

Honestly I don't think it will get taken down with DCMA. Lucasfilm has always been pretty generous with fan projects, especially ones that are free/don't make the creator's any profit. The people working on this game said they actually talked to Valve and Valve agreed to host it (it didn't go through the normal greenlight process). Seeing as how Disney/Lucasfilm is a business partner of Valve I can't imagine they would agree to host it without getting the okay of Disney/Lucasfilm first so they don't potentially damage their business relationship.

Ozium

Honestly I don't think it will get taken down with DCMA. Lucasfilm has always been pretty generous with fan projects, especially ones that are free/don't make the creator's any profit. The people working on this game said they actually talked to Valve and Valve agreed to host it (it didn't go through the normal greenlight process). Seeing as how Disney/Lucasfilm is a business partner of Valve I can't imagine they would agree to host it without getting the okay of Disney/Lucasfilm first so they don't potentially damage their business relationship.

I don't think Lucasfilm cares. But what does EA think?

Coreda

DCMA when?

So Steam allows games in this super early, no release date, barely actually playable proof of concept state to have their own pages now? Does this bypass Greenlight because it's F2P? Seems more like something I'm used to seeing announced on a forum thread or dedicated site.

I didn't get it: Galaxy In Turmoil is the remake of Battlefront III? But where is Battlefront III? I thought the latest Star Wars was Battlefront III.

Pixieking

Banned
Valve actually doing stuff, releasing some Source 2 tools for making VR "Destinations" via photogrammetry. Really cool if you can get hold of a headset to try it.

Eventually we may even get a full standard game from them perhaps

Making me hoooooooomesick, this picture:

ss_b5180eba170da7fa276eddce3027ba0fbe6f7425.jpg

Ozium

EA's not the IP holder, they're just a licensee. If Disney/Lucasfilm sign off on it, I imagine all EA could really do is rage impotently.

But it uses game designs and other things unrelated to the Star Wars IP developed by EA as part of the now cancelled Battlefront III, no?

Pixieking

Banned
We've seen almost no sales this month so far.

Hoping that ends with our second discount sale starting over the weekend, then with the Summer Seal.

Presumably people are holding-off because they know the Summer Seal is due (even if they don't know the exact date). I wonder if it would help or hinder if Valve turned around one year and flat-out said there'd be no Summer sale?

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm currently in the same spot. I'll keep trying.
something about snakebird just doesn't work so good with me

i feel like i'm not really able to do more than intuitively fool around until it sort of solves itself and the game didn't give me enough levels to get used to the mechanics to be challenged in any way

like, i've beaten all the single snakebird levels i had and now i'm just completely stuck at the first level with two snakebirds

idk lol, not really my thing so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom