• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarrodL

But if that person cared about that in the first place, they would have bought it from GOG instead, not Steam. That, and some of the games are already DRM-free in the steam version in the first place.
It's a nice thing they are doing here, but it's not really "free games".

Often games come out on GOG weeks or months after they first appear on Steam. I prefer GOG, but quite a few times have been in a situation where I've already purchased something I liked on Steam by the time GOG version was out.

Lomax

something about snakebird just doesn't work so good with me

i feel like i'm not really able to do more than intuitively fool around until it sort of solves itself and the game didn't give me enough levels to get used to the mechanics to be challenged in any way

like, i've beaten all the single snakebird levels i had and now i'm just completely stuck at the first level with two snakebirds

idk lol, not really my thing so far

It's because there's exactly one solution to every level, and it's much easier to luck into that solution than to be able to apply real logic and problem solving skills to it. There's very little "aha now I understand" so far as I can see, much more just bumbling through. It's more like going through a maze than solving a puzzle. It isn't so much that it's obnoxiously difficult, it's that it has absolutely no room for creativity, it's all just about finding the singular path that works correctly.

Mivey

It's because there's exactly one solution to every level, and it's much easier to luck into that solution than to be able to apply real logic and problem solving skills to it. There's very little "aha now I understand" so far as I can see, much more just bumbling through. It's more like going through a maze than solving a puzzle. It isn't so much that it's obnoxiously difficult, it's that it has absolutely no room for creativity, it's all just about finding the singular path that works correctly.
I disagree with absolutely everything you just said. The fact that you can try multiple solutions in this game, in no way implies that you cannot use logical considerations. That is how I solved many of the levels. Snakebird is built on a very small set of rules, where each world usually only introduces on new idea, and then explores it in various ways. If you fail, it is simply because you did not consider a new facet to said rule.
Beautifully designed masterpiece. I guess the creator could have added some modern hijinks, like "hints" or whatnot to allow people to sleepwalk through it, if they so desire, like if they fail 30 times "Hey, you seem to be effectively braindead, should I turn on easy mode?"

I'm sorry if I seem overly aggressive. It just makes me angry if such a good game sells like utter shite, and then having people badmouth it, so to speak, is just unfair :(

Khronico

CkfMIRQW0AEtth1.jpg

Steam is dead, long live GOG

Lomax

I disagree with absolutely everything you just said. The fact that you can try multiple solutions in this game, in no way implies that you cannot use logical considerations. That is how I solved many of the levels. Snakebird is built on a very small set of rules, where each world usually only introduces on new idea, and then explores it in various ways. If you fail, it is simply because you did not consider a new facet to said rule.
Beautifully designed masterpiece. I guess the creator could have added some modern hijinks, like "hints" or whatnot to allow people to sleepwalk through it, if they so desire, like if they fail 30 times "Hey, you seem to be effectively braindead, should I turn on easy mode?"

I'm sorry if I seem overly aggressive. It just makes me angry if such a good game sells like utter shite, and then having people badmouth it, so to speak, is just unfair :(

I'm not saying you can't apply logic, obviously you can, and it helps. But the problem with a puzzle game this precise is that trial and error works just as well, and quite frankly, for many of us, that's just not as fun. I'd rather stare at a Hexcells layout for 15 minutes logicing out the correct next move than do the same simple steps over and over to find the right combo. Designing really hard precise puzzles is easy. Having those puzzles be fun is another thing. I don't doubt that it appeals to some people, but super precise movement puzzles have been around as flash games for ages now and it really shouldn't be a surprise that a game like that didn't sell very well.

CkfMIRQW0AEtth1.jpg

Steam is dead, long live GOG

That deal was so much better when it had the two Baldur's Gate games and Icewind Dale.

Been wanting to complete my classic CRPG collection and also decided to nab AoD and Grandia along with the rest.

Currently in the process of playing through the Witcher 3 DLC but I'll be probably jumping into Age of Decadence after that.
I'm playing Wasteland 2 DC, next big game I'll play will be Planescape Torment in preparation for Numenera

Khronico

I'm playing Wasteland 2 DC, next big game I'll play will be Planescape Torment in preparation for Numenera

What do you think of Wasteland 2? I got about ~10 hrs in and enjoyed it but got distracted by a bunch of other games that where coming out around the time I was playing it.

What do you think of Wasteland 2? I got about ~10 hrs in and enjoyed it but got distracted by a bunch of other games that where coming out around the time I was playing it.
I'm liking it so far, except the stupid boss fight in AG center, but I can see myself losing interest if I start playing something more modern that grabs me, or if I run into more unfairly annoying boss fights.

zkylon

zkylewd

i wonder if it'll continue to be that way or if it clicks with u eventually

Deques

Suddenly I now want to buy the Kingdom Hearts HD remix games after watching the trailer for 2.8. But I don't own a PS3 so why should I buy it? :(

I wish that Square Enix would release these games in Steam, is that ever going to happen?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So if you need any help not buying anything during the Steam sale, Australia has a way to help you out as they have scientifically discovered the world's ugliest colour.
353_pantone_448C-300x0.jpg

Just make your own Steam skin using that and you are all good.

Suddenly I now want to buy the Kingdom Hearts HD remix games after watching the trailer for 2.8. But I don't own a PS3 so why should I buy it? :(

I wish that Square Enix would release these games in Steam, is that ever going to happen?

Could happens. It depends. Although, if you really feel this pressed to play them, you can still emulate them.

The original games or the PS3 versions?

The original ones. As for KH... for now, Square-Enix seems to be dipping toes on Steam for the Japanese side. We got Final Fantasy and that's it. Setsuna is next, and we had DQH because it was a Musou game. But no Dragon Quest and no KH. So while I wouldn't rule out KH ever coming... it'd be pretty difficult. Which is funny considering it'd likely sell more than KH3 will ever do on XB1.

zkylon

zkylewd
was hard to draw the tracer visor thingie without my wacom but i'm pleased with it

thanks for the idea bayonetta

Maybe it will, but the game isn't doing a good job of getting me to that point.
yea i agree

i'm kind of surprised cos i seem to remember tons of ppl recommending it

zkylon

zkylewd
watched that new deus ex demo

it was kind of nothing new, it just seemed to be more dxhr but that's pretty alright, specially with a few fixes and general improvements

also i was surprised at the lack of vents

that's just not normal

edit: nvm i missed it cos i went to brush my teeth mid-video, a friend just corrected me lol

phew...

Zeknurn

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 8.6. This release includes the following changes:
  • Added an item counter to both party's item selection in trade offer windows
  • Added a filter box to wishlist pages, making it easy to find games by name
  • Wishlist sort and filter options are now in a drop down menu, rather than links
  • Added a new wishlist sort option to sort by discount dollar amount
  • Video player HD settings will now be saved between page loads
  • Wishlist totals for large wishlists will display after pressing a button, improving performance
  • Fixed a bug that caused highlighting to break on activity pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused coupons not to display correctly on store pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused "Not Interested" tags to not show on continuous scrolling search results
  • Fixed a bug that caused users homepage carousel to be malformed in some cases
  • Fixed a layout bug with regional price comparison on sale items
  • Gamefly has been renamed to Direct2Drive in price comparisons
  • References to the EU2 region have been removed from regional price displays
  • Closed stores Shinyloot, Adventure Shop, GameTap, GetGames, and Gameolith were removed from comparisons
This update is available for Google Chrome and should update itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. The beta version of the Firefox extension is now available on firefox.enhancedsteam.com

Once again, a HUGE "thank you" goes out to contributor JoiNNN for helping immensely with this release, a lot of these features wouldn't have been possible without him.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Any chance you have reconsidered making an Edge extension? Lastpass released theirs yesterday and I'm finally making the switch full time.

Stellar Tactics looks intriguing. Is there any other similar games out there?
I'm aware that there are so many space exploration games these days, but what I'm looking for is the heavy RPG elements and non-ship combat.

Those games are not even available digitally on PSN, so I doubt they will release it on Steam.

Stellar Tactics looks intriguing. Is there any other similar games out there?
I'm aware that there are so many space exploration games these days, but what I'm looking for is the heavy RPG elements and non-ship combat.

Damn, that looks great!

There is a really old game this reminds me of but I can't remember the name of it right now. I mean really old, early 1990's!

Edit: Planet's Edge I think!

I dont understand why Valve cant seem to fix easy bugs.

Like since they introduced the chinese currency, all games that are under 1 RMB, cant be bought.
So if a game is 0,53 RMB, you cant buy it.

After over half a year you would think Valve would have fixed the bug, but no...

dex3108

I dont understand why Valve cant seem to fix easy bugs.

Like since they introduced the chinese currency, all games that are under 1 RMB, cant be bought.
So if a game is 0,53 RMB, you cant buy it.

After over half a year you would think Valve would have fixed the bug, but no...

That is good old Valve. They just don't care.

Rizzi

Steam still charges US$ in Australia. This is dumb.
GOG charges AU$. Clearly the superior digital distribution platform.

JarrodL

Why are you assuming that games that are in PSN would be in Steam?
I think his point is if they can't be bothered to release an already existing console version on one digital storefront, they likely wouldn't even consider an effort required to port the game to PC to release on another digital store.

I think his point is if they can't be bothered to release an already existing console version on one digital storefront, they likely wouldn't even consider an effort required to port the game to PC to release on another digital store.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Thank you.

I don't really know why they dont release digital versions of the kingdom hearts games. Was it an agreement with Disney? And will 2.8 and 3 also not gonna get digital versions?

Rocket League game night tomorrow night for any of you guys that will be interested.

It will the first time I play the game, so let's have some fun.

Preferably europeans for low latency, but everybody is welcome.

t1465567200z0.png

1 - NingenJanai
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 - Exosoul
8 -

Nabs

It looks like the Soccer Sale has gone live

Some of the games: Rocket League, Natural Soccer, Football Club Simulator, TableTop Soccer, FootLOL, Kopanito All-Stars Soccer, Lords of Football, Football Manager Touch 2016, Soccertron, Pro Evo 2016, New Star Soccer 5, Tactical Soccer, Soccer Rage, Super Button Soccer, Football Tactics.

ExoSoul

Banned
Rocket League game night tomorrow night for any of you guys that will be interested.

It will the first time I play the game, so let's have some fun.

Preferably europeans for low latency, but everybody is welcome.

t1465524000z0.png

1 - NingenJanai
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 - ExoSoul
8 -

I'm up

Status
Not open for further replies.