• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hi, SteamGAF. Did you say you wanted my impressions for Time Mysteries 2: The Ancient Spectres? No? Tough.

The story: You play Esther Ambrose, member of a family that has mastered (more or less) time travel. You start in 1830 London, but obviously hop around later. Your Aunt Helen gives you a package and sends you to the Ambrose mansion that you've been coincidentally dreaming about. After screwing around with magic seals and a magic crystal that you had no business touching, you let loose these creepy fire butterflies - which are apparently the ancient spectres? But the game never fully explains WHAT they are - and some part of the spirit of Viviana, the bitch who imprisoned your ancestor Merlin in a tree. So you have to stop her.

...Wait a minute! Objection! In the first game, the protagonist's name was Vivien (or possibly Vivienne.) Are you trying to tell me they named an Ambrose after their family's nemesis? Because Vivien and Viviana are way too close to be a coincidence. UNLESS the Vivien from the first game snaps, goes back in time, and fucks over the head of the family...that would be a cool twist, but I'm just conjecturing now and haven't played the third game.

In the bonus chapter, you play Miss Charlotte, Esther's ... nanny? Governess? Something like that, and you see a fire in the mansion, leading to your having to save Esther both as a baby and an adult at the same time, because wibbly wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.

ANYWAY, long story short, for a hidden object game it's a decent storyline, marred only by the cliffhanger ending (or in the case of the bonus chapter, the Men in Black ending,) and the slight lack of exposition regarding those fire butterflies.

The puzzles and gameplay: A huge improvement over Time Mysteries 1. Rather than the stupid room with all the doors in mid-air, and having to load the machine with objects from the destination era, there's now a much handier portable time device that lets you flip time and space with the touch of a button. The hidden-object scenes are nicely challenging and can be quite tricky at times. The game, however, seems tailor made to "regular mode." The "expert mode" shows off its one flaw: mainly, finding the next place to go, the next hidden-object scene, follows no logical order. The next scene could be pretty much anywhere randomly, so you just go from screen to screen checking them.

The dialogue and audio: Not that much dialogue, but what little there is is alright. There was one glaring bit where a character's dialogue was completely unvoiced and everyone else's was. The music is just average.

The graphics:Not bad for a hidden-object game of its time. It's what you come to expect from Artifex Mundi, and thank goodness that creepy facial-distortion thing they did to animate faces for speaking is gone.

The length: 5.5 hours for main game and bonus chapter. Not a bad length at all.

The verdict: After playing Time Mysteries Inheritance, one of Artifex Mundi's worst games, I was pleasantly surprised to find the sequel is in fact one of their best (at least from a puzzling perspective.) It's worth your time.

data

b8760a557b.png

idk the stupidity in this one just baffles me

596C264ECD4972704EDB43ED8176564D523E1D27

Unlocked resolution. or 1080p cap? Page says this:

60 FPS
1080p resolution
Language: English/Japanese (No cross-language save)
Audio: Switch freely between English/Japanese voices
Porting studio: Chime
Porting consultant: Abstraction Games

Pretty sure they will disappear once they no longer "own" the game.
I dunno, will they? Steam will still let me post reviews on games I only played for a little during a free weekend. It's pretty shitty that the recent reviews are hovering around 50% positive mostly because a bunch of 12 year olds with no interest in the game or genre are disappointed that it isn't more like Skyrim or DayZ.

Lomax

Wonder if I'll make it through another Steam sale only buying Pinball tables. Been buying too many games recently as it is.

Tellaerin

The negative reviews from the people who played the free weekend of Wasteland 2... are quite something.

The game really does show its retro roots in terms of design and aesthetics, and it's definitely not for everyone. The problem is that under normal circumstances, most of the people leaving negative reviews would never have touched the game in the first place for that very reason. So now you've got a ton of people outside the target audience trying it just because it's a free weekend and leaving bad reviews.

Not really sure what a good solution to that is.

Lomax

The game really does show its retro roots in terms of design and aesthetics, and it's definitely not for everyone. The problem is that under normal circumstances, most of the people leaving negative reviews would never have touched the game in the first place for that very reason. So now you've got a ton of people outside the target audience trying it just because it's a free weekend and leaving bad reviews.

Not really sure what a good solution to that is.

I just don't see it as the type of game a free weekend works well for. I mean, I guess maybe a few people will give it a try who hadn't played it before and get hooked and go ahead and buy it, but you really do open yourself up to a much larger base of people who like you said, have no real interest in the game and just leave troll reviews. I've been considering giving it a look just to see how the mechanics appeal to me, but the reality is my list of unplayed RPGs is insanely long and even if I did enjoy it I'd just wait for a bundle. It didn't get anywhere near the level of acclaim that Divinity or PoE (or even Shadowrun) did, even from die hard old school Fallout fans.

My understanding though was if you refunded a game your review disappeared (at least from public view), I'd hope that would apply to free weekend games as well, people should only see your reviews if you have an active copy in your account. We'll see what happens I guess.

Lain

There's a sale for the launch of the new Square Enix online store.

Some stuff:
Anachronox for 1,49€
Old Championship Managers for 1,25€ 2007 2008
Deus Ex Collection for 8,25€ (The Deus Ex Collection includes every currently released Deus Ex title on PC, including the Game of the Year Edition of the original masterpiece, as well as the Director´s Cut version of the applauded Deus Ex: Human Revolution.)
All Final Fantasy games are 50% off with a few smaller discounts for the MMO ones.
Other games and merchandise have discounts too.

Since I was there, I went to finally buy the Lightning plush, but the shipping is even higher now. 30€ for shipping what the fuck.

There's a sale for the launch of the new Square Enix online store.

Some stuff:
Anachronox for 1,49€
Old Championship Managers for 1,25€ 2007 2008
Deus Ex Collection for 8,25€ (The Deus Ex Collection includes every currently released Deus Ex title on PC, including the Game of the Year Edition of the original masterpiece, as well as the Director´s Cut version of the applauded Deus Ex: Human Revolution.)
All Final Fantasy games are 50% off with a few smaller discounts for the MMO ones.
Other games and merchandise have discounts too.

Since I was there, I went to finally buy the Lightning plush, but the shipping is even higher now. 30€ for shipping what the fuck.

For a second I thought it was old Football Managers! I really need to find my FM2009 manual for the key.

There are so many different things to discover...I can't stop playing. Have you played some more?

Only once so far, I'm going to try the Trans-Siberian railway next time. I spent far too long on slow boats the first time.

The difference between twitter and SteamGAF is that I can step away for a day or two, then come back and still read everything that's transpired in the forums.

If I'm going to stay up-to-date on twitter, I have to monitor it practically 24/7.

No thanks.

Really? Whenever I come back to twitter there's a couple tweets "while you were away"
Is this something new? Since I started a new account, I'm following less than 10 people, and it's still a mess to keep track of anything.

Volimar

The difference between twitter and SteamGAF is that I can step away for a day or two, then come back and still read everything that's transpired in the forums.

If I'm going to stay up-to-date on twitter, I have to monitor it practically 24/7.

No thanks.

Really? Whenever I come back to twitter there's a couple tweets "while you were away"

yuraya

Caught up with the NPD thread for May...and wow at Quantum Break selling less than 200k in NA retail since launch. No wonder MS gave them the knife so soon after release. Also no wonder they immediately announced PC version like a month before release. Still the dumbest thing they did was not release the game on Steam. Like Alan Wake has over 1.5 million sales according to steamspy. And 91% positive reviews. Like why would you just skip out on such a large fanbase? Really crazy.

I'm still holding on my prediction that QB gets released on Steam before the end of the year. If they don't that game will go down as the biggest bomba ever.

Hektor

Twitter's not a good substitute for NeoGAF, at least for me. I like actually being able to type up a decent sized post when I want to, among other things.

Yeah, twitter is good for some jokes and smalltalk, but it's certainly not made for well thought out lenghty arguments.

zkylon

zkylewd
so apparently having a prinny explode on etna's face in like the second mission locked me out of the good ending?

wtf kind of shit is this

PaulSane

so apparently having a prinny explode on etna's face in like the second mission locked me out of the good ending?

wtf kind of shit is this

You are on PC, there may be certain "workarounds" for when something like this happens :) I had the exact same problem - i accidentally killed one of my own characters not knowing it would lock out the ending.
I've just used Cheat Engine afterwards to set number of friendly kills back to 0 - the only problem is, i don't know if the game checks that number to determine which ending you will get or if it has a flag which switches when you kill one of your own. I still haven't finished the game, spent too much time in the item world, and took a break from the game as a result :D

zkylon

zkylewd
You are on PC, there may be certain "workarounds" for when something like this happens :) I had the exact same problem - i accidentally killed one of my own characters not knowing it would lock out the ending.
I've just used Cheat Engine afterwards to set number of friendly kills back to 0 - the only problem is, i don't know if the game checks that number to determine which ending you will get or if it has a flag which switches when you kill one of your own. I still haven't finished the game, spent too much time in the item world, and took a break from the game as a result :D

i'm close enough to the beginning to start over but i really don't wanna go through the tutorial again

it doesn't sound like a fun mechanic

i wonder if i'll restart, honestly

if it's just a different ending that you can watch on youtube i might forget about it

i wanna have fun and play the game most of all

kagamin

i'm close enough to the beginning to start over but i really don't wanna go through the tutorial again

it doesn't sound like a fun mechanic

i wonder if i'll restart, honestly

if it's just a different ending that you can watch on youtube i might forget about it

i wanna have fun and play the game most of all

I think that not killing your teammates is a good way to live in life, not just in videogames.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think that not killing your teammates is a good way to live in life, not just in videogames.

well i wanted to see what happened :T

the hospital heals ppl right back up

it's really weird that you're taught to throw prinnies like 5 minutes in and that's the thing that can ruin ur ending

kagamin

well i wanted to see what happened :T

the hospital heals ppl right back up

it's really weird that you're taught to throw prinnies like 5 minutes in and that's the thing that can ruin ur ending

The tutorial says they explode, I think Hero Prinny would say this to you under normal circumstances, but avoid prinny abuse.

PaulSane

To be fair, you are never taught to throw them at your own guys :p And prinnies themselves don't count as friendly kills when they explode.
But i actually agree with your point - i don't like when games hide this kind of stuff from players. Trial and error (or googling) shouldn't be the only way to find out how to get a certain ending - it's not fun to do it either way (maybe it is for some people, but i suspect those people are a minority).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom