• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Suprised to see a push for VR in the Apple dev event. Even a shoutout to Valve and Unreal Engine.

Tought VR was fading out somewhat.

Also heh at that new iMac Pro for 5000 bucks.XD

Endruen

67b.jpg

u561_548261861976440832_35s_d.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"finished" Path of Exile (which means nothing for these games) and I think I got all I'm going to get out of it. Seems like an excellent one of those tho, and I can totally see why it's so popular now.

"finished" Path of Exile (which means nothing for these games) and I think I got all I'm going to get out of it. Seems like an excellent one of those tho, and I can totally see why it's so popular now.

haha yea its one of those games that is never really "finished" as the whole point is to try it again with new characters or beat the end game bosses which require significant gear and other items "craft" the boss maps. Its funny because getting to act 4 Merciless is such a chore every league but once you "finish" the game it gets a lot better as you can actually find good items! But yea its a game you need to play a lot to fully appreciate (like Diablo 2) I have over 4000 hours and I still am lost without a "guide" in building a character.

sadblob

I'm waiting for 3.0 to jump back again. Changing the 3 difficulties for 10 acts surely will make the game less tedious to get to mapping and the real game.

Knurek

CrossCells is... exhausting.
Might be too much even for my love of numbers.
Can't wait for CrossCells Plus, now with integrals and logarithms

iosefe

CrossCells is... exhausting.
Might be too much even for my love of numbers.
Can't wait for CrossCells Plus, now with integrals and logarithms
I tweeted to the dev my excited for a potential CrossCells plus ironically featuring Subtraction.

He liked my tweet

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
surprised nobody did a mechanical pet class in Torchlight 2, with all the different robot models that game has. Theres a bunch of the usual "warlock" style class mods (ive used a few in fact) but Ive never seen a mechanical version of one.

Wish I could make classes, but im too lazy to learn.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Isnt Nuveem region locked? I bought a few things from them back in the day (Including Oceanhorn!) but I was under the impression it is tricky now.

Most of their games are available in North America (including the US) and are even priced in USD now. I think a lot of their games are still region locked outside of North America though.

Most of their games are available in North America (including the US) and are even priced in USD now. I think a lot of their games are still region locked outside of North America though.

Interesting, I will have to check it out and see if I can buy. I am in Canada so it appears I meet the criteria.

Thought I'd post about a couple of games I played in the last few days

First up was Watch Dogs 2. Had it installed ever since release and had heard good things about it so I had high expectations. Unfortunately, I can't say that I enjoyed it too much. I ran into several progression stopping bugs near the end that amplified my frustration with the game. The reason I mention that is because, aside from those bugs, it's a well made game. It looks nice, runs well, good music, lots of stuff to do and all of it is fairly polished. I'd say the highlight is the game world. San Francisco is vivid, colorful and really fun to explore.

So why didn't I like it?

What bugged me almost from the beginning is that there is a strong tonal mismatch going on in the game. You play as this sort of upbeat hipster hacker who high fives his friends while drinking Starbucks coffee. They go out of their way to portray that stereotype hipster character. But then when you move on to doing actual missions you will happily kill 30 people before completing your objective. And the game never acknowledges this. How you complete any mission is absolutely ignored by the story. I'm not a big fan of the term but this game is the poster child for ludonarrative dissonance.

Now to be fair, they give you the option to complete any mission in multiple ways. You can play entirely in stealth with a non lethal playstyle. That fits the story and characters thematically. The issue is that this choice of how you want to play the game starts to slip away the further you get into the story.

A typical mission in the game has you going to an office building, neutralizing the guards and hacking some server or something like that. Now when you are dealing with the guards, you can try and shoot them all. Some of them will call reinforcements, but ultimately the number of guards is finite. The problem is, someone walking on a street outside will hear the gunshots and call the police. The police are infinite supply of enemies with escalating difficulty and it becomes next to impossible to complete any mission objectives once you have engaged them. You could try playing with non lethal weapons, but the guards will still use guns and the police will still get called. What this ultimately means is that you have to play the game in stealth with almost flawless execution. This is where those bugs I talked about really started hurting my experience. There's nothing fun about spending 20 minutes clearing out a building in absolute stealth only to have the mission objective trigger bug out on you. Bugs like this kept happening to me which I meant I kept repeating sections of missions and the whole thing started to feel like a slog.

One of those cases where I'll admit the game is well made but these specific circumstances just kept dragging my experience down. Also, none of the characters are likeable and the story is completely throwaway.

The other game I just got done playing is The Fidelio Incident. This is a game that has flown completely under the radar for SteamGAF as far as I can tell so I thought I'd share my thoughts about it. I thought it was quite decent.

The game is basically a 'walking simulator'. It's the story of a husband and wife who are flying in a plane which goes down on a snowy island after an accident. The plane splits into two parts and you play as the husband who is desperately trying to get to where his wife is. You basically follow a mostly linear path to reach her and along the way you collect pages of her diary that tell you the entire story of those two people and what is going on.

I thought the story was good. I feel like there is some touch of personal experience in it but if not, it's a good bit of fiction. However, as you progress in the game, you are asked to solve puzzles to move ahead. Now some of them are okay. For example, there are bits of debris from the plane that are on fire and scattered around the world. You are obviously really cold and you will die if you stray too far from heat sources. So those bits of debris act as waypoints as you go through your journey. You sometimes need to judge what path to take to avoid death. From time to time you will be asked to find items to help you on your way (for example you'll need to find something to shelter you from hail). It's all well and good until this point. But then the puzzles become more 'gamified'. You'll reach a point where have to adjust certain valves to perform certain actions. They eventually turn into illogical video game puzzles. To be clear, they're never hard, but at the same time I don't think anybody thinks that running around in a maze trying to find the next button to press is fun. It adds nothing to the experience.

I really wish the developers had had the courage to just tell their story without feeling compelled to add in substandard gameplay mechanics for some reason. It's otherwise a very decent game. It uses Unreal Engine 4 and looks really good, has good music and voice acting. Good production values and a decent story. It took me 135 minutes to complete the game. I'd say What Remains of Edith Finch was a far better game but this is still worth checking out at some point. Quick look at Steamspy shows 1500 sales globally in 2 weeks so it's pretty much a bomba, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom