• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Continuing my RiME playthrough. I really like the game, it's a light puzzle platformer/Adventure game, but man the game has an irritating technical problem: You know how The Witness all takes place on an island and thus the entirety of the Island itself is loaded up for you to explore at your leisure? Similar thing with RiME; it loads up the entire island.
Being a linear game you don't exactly get to explore wherever your want, but it seems like all this loading messes up the visuals because, for example, when you are in a room and you rotate the camera in such a way that the wall obscures your view of the character, the models and textures vanish and you're left with white areas on-screen. That or sometimes areas outside the room clash with what you are seeing.

They really need to find a way to fix this, but until then...yeah I'm still enjoying the game, a shame about it's performance issues though :/

I feel TT lost their edge right after Sam and Max S3. They don't feel like those old adventure games anymore.

I honestly wish we get games like those. No "analog" movement, items that give various reactions with unique dialog, more interaction like having a difference between "hold, observe, talk, etc." and the like.

You've not played Thimbleweed Park yet have you?

Grief.exe

PUBG is fun and addictive, but performance is shit. With that I mean that Im capable of running the game at ultra settings (motion blur off cause fuck that) with above 60 FPS (I have yet to find any VSYNC settings for some reason), but I have a GTX 1080, 5820k 4 GHz OC'd and 32 GB RAM. I don't want to think how bad it is for people who has lower specs than that and I see that in the Steam ratings, bad performance seems to have the most negative reviews.

Which reminds me while Im typing this comment that I should download ARK again to check out the performance there.

Performance is the last stage of game development. It's fine to criticize that aspect, but it's not relevant to evaluating the product at this point in development.

You want to turn down the grass toggle to low. Give yourself an advantage, but they did tweak that so it wouldn't be as obvious.

Thanks, JaseC.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily -- MB-7DFD46F83E3A2FFB - Taken by longlivegaming. 4 entrants total.
Grim Legends 3: The Dark City -- MB-8AFE08E5F595DC6C - Taken by bobnowhere. 4 entrants total.
The Secret Order 2: Masked Intent -- MB-2307F071645161C2 - Taken by Anteater. 1 entrants total.

t1496935411z1.png

fantomena

Performance is the last stage of game development. It's fine to criticize that aspect, but it's not relevant to evaluating the product at this point in development.

I don't give two shits about if performance is last stage of development. Performance is currently shit and it is absolutely relevant in my evaluation of the product right now. Anything that minimizes the joy of my experience with an early access title is relevant to my criticism.

Gameplay based it is however a lot better than H1Z1. I can however not compare the game to DayZ cause thanksfully, I never bought that pile of poop (according to the Steam reviews, which is mostly negative and mixed).

I finished RIME. Thought it was a nice game. Good artwork and music and a pretty impressive sense of scale as you wander through the game world. It was surprisingly linear though. The only reason you ever have to wander off the critical path is if you're looking for collectibles. It was also really easy. I only got stuck in one puzzle during the entire 7 hours it took me to beat the game.

When I got stuck on that puzzle, I thought I'd look at the Steam forums to see if I could get any help there. Out of 18 pages of discussion threads, I'd say about 15 are full of Denuvo talk. You had people angry that Denuvo was used, people proclaiming they will never buy a game protected by Denuvo, people gloating when the game got cracked, people talking about performance differences before and after it was removed and people saying they will finally buy it now that it's removed. The entire discussion around this game has been poisoned by Denuvo and it's a bit sad to see. Very few people were talking about the actual game and what they liked or disliked in it.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Raiders of the Broken Planet! beta -- MB-C5BEC4F1B7399200 - Taken by MaxiLive
Dunno if it will turn into the full game or not.

Dawn of War 3 is so controversial game. It feels extremely cheap, i already forgot campaign and most of multiplayer matches plays really bad. Only 4 maps for 3vs3 is a joke, escalation phases are unbalanced, in first 10 minutes there is always not enough resources and otherwise, in last phases there is so much resources, there is no time to use them all properly. But sometimes matchmaking works you get equal teams, and in those rare moments this game is really awesome.

Again, it's like 1 great match on every 5 really bad and boring matches. At least there is no penalty for leaving match earlier so i can leave as soon as i see that my team is dumb or enemies are too powerful. Still don't understand how some people are able to create huge armies in first minutes of the game even with less captured resource points.

Reading that makes me want to replay the campaings in DoW2: Retribution, rather then spending money on this. Retributions campaign, especially with the orks, was supringsly fun. One of my better buys from the summer sales.

Arthea

I finished Cupid yesterday - playtime 10 hours!

I honestly don't quite get why it is a free VN, writing is good, it has choices and routes and is quite lengthy. Art could be better but not like it's bad or anything. Amazing really.
One achievement bugged on me, but as it is a free game, I don't feel like perstering devs for it, I'll survive without that achievement, other than that, it's quite good, and did I mention? totally free! baffling.

Parsnip

It's also worth pointing out that SF5 didn't really move a ton of units after that first week either, only managing to sell 142,786 ±8,985 by April 1st 2016.

It wouldn't be a bold prediction to say that Tekken 7 is on its way to handily beating that.
And 3 days later Tekken is now 146,696 ± 11,741. So far Tekken 7 has moved about the same amount of units in about a week than SF5 did in a month and half.

Strong start.

dragon's dogma is amazing so be sure to enjoy that

also soul reaver is so hard to get into these days. it's still pretty moody but man those fucking block puzzles

As far as I recall the PC version of Soul Reaver is somewhat inferior to the Playstation version too. I can't remember the specifics though.

Wonderboy is out~

And bought.
I hope the PC version is superb with all the extra time they took.

hesho

I'm currently debating whether Square Enix (japanese side) or Koei Tecmo have worse PC support. ...I can't come to a definite consensus, which is kinda sad.

Koei Tecmo:
+ Bring over nearly everything
+ More and more simultaneous releases
- port quality is a lottery and at best is 'decent'
- sometimes sneak in lower quality assets in the port for reasons unknown
- essentially non-existent post-launch support
- 60$ pricing and bad discounts

Square Enix
+ pricing for their late releases is fine
~ usually serviceable port quality, or, at least they get better each time...
- simultaneous releases are the exception, timed exclusivity the norm (but no one knows for sure, so game status is always in limbo)
- at best non-existent marketing for the PC versions, at worst dumb fuckery á la Nier
- essentially non-existent post-launch support

i don't think either company will change because ppl r still buying the games. If they are making money they will keep doing what they are doing which is godly irritating.

Anno

Hey cool there will be a full expansion. Nice. Wondering if they're still partnering with the Long War guys to extend that mod even further since it's basically a parallel version of XCOM 2 at this point.

JakeD

Wonderboy is out~

i played through this on switch and im not sure how to feel. obviously if you played the original and loved it, then this is a great remaster.

as someone who never played the original, i'd say a lot of the gameplay felt dated, and not in a cool retro way. it genuinely feels like an awkward 80s era game, and mixed with the reaaally nice visuals just feels...strange. i also didn't like the grindy aspect of upgrading your gear.

again if you're a fan of the original, it's the perfect remaster. but for the majority of us who didnt have a sega master system, you might want to watch a few youtube videos or whatever

Mivey

again if you're a fan of the original, it's the perfect remaster. but for the majority of us who didnt have a sega master system, you might want to watch a few youtube videos or whatever
Having seen quite a bit of its gameplay, and enjoying even the old GB Shantae game, this looks like something I would love to play. Don't generalize from you to everyone on the planet, at least without a few rounding errors. Especially after my recent 80+ hour RPGs playthroughs, a short 5 hour romp would feel great.

Anyone played Technomancer? is it as bad as Mars War Logs or is it much more open/ overall much better? Mars you just go from one small area to another and you can only talk to about 1 NPC per zone. Also the loot is just screws and metal sheets you can use to craft bullets. Very barebones for an RPG.

Anyone played Technomancer? is it as bad as Mars War Logs or is it much more open/ over much better? Mars you just go from one small area to another and you can only talk to about 1 NPC per zone. Also the loot is just screws and metal sheets you can use to craft bullets. Very barebones for an RPG.
Compared to Mars War Logs, I found Technomancer to be a much more repetitive game due to extensive backtracking which leads to artificial game length. Spider's post-Mars War Logs games have the same formula, but stretch what should be a 10-12 hour game to 20-30 hours. Arguably I'd say the core gameplay was improved but not by much.

Compared to Mars War Logs, I found Technomancer to be a much more repetitive game due to extensive backtracking which leads to artificial game length. Spider's post-Mars War Logs games have the same formula, but stretch what should be a 10-12 hour game to 20-30 hours. Arguably I'd say the core gameplay was improved but not by much.

Thanks, I will wait for cheap/bundle, which I imagine will come really soon.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Thought some of you might be interested in knowing that we're now taking applications for the Lost Dimension Closed beta.

Taken from http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/lost-dimension-closed-beta-applications-now-open

To join in the Lost Dimension closed beta, all you need to do is send an email to: BetaLD@ghostlight.uk.com with your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC.

Applications will close on 13th June, so please make sure to get your emails to us before then.  As with previous closed betas, we will not be picking people on a random or first-come-first-served basis.  What a ‘yes’ decision actually comes down to depends on a number of factors, including how representative we feel the range of PC specs we’ve assembled for the beta is.

As we only have a limited number of places available, please feel free to tell us why you think you’d be particularly suited to helping us with the beta testing phase of Lost Dimension.  This may include information like details of any previous experience you’ve had in beta testing, or simply declaring your undying love for the genre.  In fact, please tell us anything that you feel is relevant which may help us approve your application :)

You can also message me your details on the forum here, if you would prefer :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Worth getting for the shooting?
Does it have flamethrowers?

The gunplay is great, actually. Wingsticks + shotgun = heaven. No flamethrower, though.

Be sure to explore levels thoroughly as the game doesn't allow backtracking.

Edit: There's also a mini-expansion you ought to buy once the Summer Sale kicks off.

Worth getting for the shooting?
Does it have flamethrowers?

The gunplay is fantastic. I'd say it still has one of the best shotguns in all of gaming.

While this is true, every time you complete a main mission you will unlock a side mission that sends you right back to the very same level you completed the main mission in. So that's kind of sort of backtracking :p

Thought some of you might be interested in knowing that we're now taking applications for the Lost Dimension Closed beta.

Taken from http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/lost-dimension-closed-beta-applications-now-open

You can also message me your details on the forum here, if you would prefer :)

Dont think I will be available this time, but I really think its great how you are really trying to deliver good ports on PC with the help of the community compared to even big AAA publishers who dont care about community feedback at all (looking at you S-E with the Nier port...).

My experience with Ghostlight beta testing is great. Ross and the team are really responsive and quick. If there is a bug, its mostly fixed really fast.

Tizoc

The gunplay is great, actually. Wingsticks + shotgun = heaven. No flamethrower, though.

Edit: There's also a mini-expansion you ought to buy once the Summer Sale kicks off.
Fair enough thanks
Will grab the base game soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While this is true, every time you complete a main mission you will unlock a side mission that sends you right back to the very same level you completed the main mission in. So that's kind of sort of backtracking :p

I could be misremembering, but aren't the routes slightly different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom