• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did not take long. I hope Michel Ancel is not crying in his room right now, like that poor RiME dev once did.

I also can read Chinese and dont see a problem. Shouldnt a game about Germany not use old bavarian language because it "exotifies" German culture?
My wife, Chinese, doesnt see problem. Chinese themselves, from my experience, are always quite happy when they see such stuff...

Also if she knows Chinese, she should maybe know why Talking Monkeys and Pigs were used. That whole scene looked literally like a Journey to the West homage.

Endruen

I cant play mmos for the leveling experience anymore knowing that I wont do / get anything out of the end game. From PoE (not a mmo but close enough) to Grim Dawn to Tera to Black Desert to finally Guild Wars 2 today, nothing grabs me.

"But Rhaknar, youre stupid because the end game is the whole point"

I know man, but there used to be a time where just the leveling experience, getting new skills and shit was enough for me. Kinda like a half assed single player rpg.

But not any more I guess :/

edit: Guild Wars 2 is still pretty good btw, that really should have come out on Steam. I mean, not that they needed it apparently, but...you know...for our sake.
WoW was great on that aspect. I'm sincerely enjoying Black Desert more for the life simulator than anything, but the combat is pretty nice, too easy though.

These tweets are not exactly inflammatory or insulting. Seems like fair criticism.

Whats the criticism angle here? I mean I dont see what she is criticising. That a game set in Space uses Chinese as a language? Or using a city that uses asian culture as a setting (you saw Indian, Thai, Cambodian, Chinese, HK influences)?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WoW was great on that aspect. I'm sincerely enjoying Black Desert more for the life simulator than anything, but the combat is pretty nice, too easy though.

i've been tinkering with resubbing to wow lately, probably with gold, but then Lain talked me out of it ;_;

Nzyme32

It did not take long. I hope Michel Ancel is not crying in his room right now, like that poor RiME dev once did.

I mean, it's very fair criticism, and it is so easy to miss if you are not of that ethnic minority or don't understand a language. As an "ethnic" person, when my particular race is used in such heavily stereotyped or "lazy" way or even tokenistic way, I'd totally agree, it's just an instant off button, go fuck yourself vibe given off. I wouldn't have known or noticed, often because this sort of thing is so trivialised and frequent. I don't think there is any intent to be offensive or anything else

I mean, it's very fair criticism, and it is so easy to miss if you are not of that ethnic minority or don't understand a language. As an "ethnic" person, when my particular race is used in such heavily stereotyped or "lazy" way or even tokenistic way, I'd totally agree, it's just an instant off button, go fuck yourself vibe given off. I wouldn't have known or noticed, often because this sort of thing is so trivialised and frequent

But what is lazy there? Thats what I dont see. It starts off with a HK cyberpunk setting, with normal Chinese characters, then using two characters from Journey to the West as a homage, having a monkey with a bandana and a chinese character (that you can see in so many chinese movies/tv shows too).
The only thing thats kinda stupid is that "sexy chinese woman". Besides that I dont see any problems.

If you would start with that, you could say that Eichenwalde in Overwatch is stereotypical, lazy and exotified and all those other maps.

Edit:

Also seems to know a lot about chinese culture, because THATS a chinese opera getup:

liyuan_theatre_beijing_opera.jpg

hrc_sichuan_opera_four_actor.jpg

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I mean that pig guy eating the bao is rocking a Fu Manchu beard.

Monkey dude even did the Bruce Lee thumb thing.

But what is lazy there? Thats what I dont see. It starts off with a HK cyberpunk setting, with normal Chinese characters, then using two characters from Journey to the West as a homage, having a monkey with a bandana and a chinese character (that you can see in so many chinese movies/tv shows too).

The only thing thats kinda stupid is that "sexy chinese woman". Besides that I dont see any problems.

If you would start with that, you could say that Eichenwalde in Overwatch is stereotypical, lazy and exotified and all those other maps.

Asian stuff is used a lot as backdrop without any actual Asian characters of substance. So far the trailer hasn't shown any of the latter, opting for animal people instead.

Asian stuff is used a lot as backdrop without any actual Asian characters of substance. So far the trailer hasn't shown any of the latter, opting for animal people instead.

I would argue that the monkey and the pig are kinda a homage to Journey to the West in that setup. The trailer at least showed that the city is based on a mix of different asian cultures (India, Thailand, Cambodia, HK, China) to, what I guess, show world building.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I would argue that the monkey and the pig are kinda a homage to Journey to the West in that setup. The trailer at least showed that the city is based on a mix of different asian cultures (India, Thailand, Cambodia, HK, China) to, what I guess, show world building.

Homage or not, that dude on stage said that they are portraying a multicultural world, and that needs to extend to characters as well, instead of just background stuff like basically all cyberpunk shit. Perhaps that will be in the final game, but I don't think that it's unfair for people to criticize what they have chosen to put out, when we're almost never more than stereotypes in these things.

Nzyme32

Edit:

Also seems to know a lot about chinese culture, because THATS a chinese opera getup:

liyuan_theatre_beijing_opera.jpg

hrc_sichuan_opera_four_actor.jpg

That's what I can't possibly comment on, as my knowledge is obviously limited to the language barrier and I can't say I paid attention to specific races or anything, I liked the trailer - but I can see the comment on that lady as pretty fair to an extent - of course as a trailer that is so short, you aren't getting much in the way of context from it to judge character / motivations etc. My point is simply I sympathise with the position of seeing your own race consistently portrayed in what I would call lazy ways and that being a big turn off

My point is simply I sympathise with the position of seeing your own race consistently portrayed in what I would call lazy ways and that being a big turn off

As someone with German heritage, my "own race" being portrayed in lazy ways pretty much kicked off the first-person shooter.

As a Canadian, however, seeing my country portrayed in ANY way, shape or form pleases me.

ModBot said:
Instructions for FeedMeAStrayCat:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FeedMeAStrayCat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

North -- MB-9123CDD3DD9A9475 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Retention -- MB-0C4B1F5602B6F11A - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.

t1497313325z1.png
kasdf

Homage or not, that dude on stage said that they are portraying a multicultural world, and that needs to extend to characters as well, instead of just background stuff like basically all cyberpunk shit. Perhaps that will be in the final game, but I don't think that it's unfair for people to criticize what they have chosen to put out, when we're almost never more than stereotypes in these things.

The thing is, the lazy thing is most like the depiction of the female imo, not the other stuff. Looks pretty normal, especially if you watch HK/Chinese shows, where you see tons of that stuff too.

My point is simply I sympathise with the position of seeing your own race consistently portrayed in what I would call lazy ways and that being a big turn off

I personally dont see that as lazy, because you dont even see much. You see Chinese characters, that dont seem to be used in a lazy way (imo). You see two characters that are clearly a homage to Journey to the West (Sun Wukong and Zhu Bajie).
The lazy one is the lady in a sexy qipao.

The twitter woman is saying that using Chinese characters to exotify a setting is lazy and I dont agree with that.

As someone with German heritage, my "own race" being portrayed in lazy ways pretty much kicked off the first-person shooter.

As a Canadian, however, seeing my country portrayed in ANY way, shape or form pleases me.
If germans are being portrayed poorly as either being all Nazis or completely rolling over for the Nazis during WWII, then that's worth admonishing too.

I didn't see it already posted:

Test Steam streaming on Samsung TV!
12 JUNE - SLOUKEN
Samsung is adding Steam Link functionality directly to their latest line of Smart TVs.
If you are in the United States and have a 2016 or 2017 Samsung UHD TV, we'd like to invite you to help test the Steam Link App, now available as a free beta from the Samsung Smart Hub.

The App uses the same streaming technology as Valve's Steam Link, allowing users to play their favorite games, and even spectate VR games on the HTC Vive, wherever they watch TV.

During the beta, playback of 1080p video at 60 FPS and support for the Steam Controller are included. For worldwide release later this summer, support for streaming 4K resolutions and additional controllers will be added.

Note: Streaming to the TV requires a Steam Controller and a high-quality network, at least 5GHz. A wired network is strongly recommended.

Please let us know how this is working for you and post feedback and questions on the Steam Link discussion forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1326721370061177145

The thing is, the lazy thing is most like the depiction of the female imo, not the other stuff. Looks pretty normal, especially if you watch HK/Chinese shows, where you see tons of that stuff too.

I personally dont see that as lazy, because you dont even see much. You see Chinese characters, that dont seem to be used in a lazy way (imo). You see two characters that are clearly a homage to Journey to the West (Sun Wukong and Zhu Bajie).
The lazy one is the lady in a sexy qipao.

The twitter woman is saying that using Chinese characters to exotify a setting is lazy and I dont agree with that.
「福」is what people usually write on 春聯, I don't know why would anyone wear the word on a bandana.

I usually don't complain about models in fighting games since people get upset over some minor shit but Chun Li faces looks fucking weird in MVCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom