• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
anyone got vagante or hand of fate, need impressions

looking for a new roguelike to play, preferably something very difficult

all recs are appreciated

garath

all recs are appreciated

I like hand of fate. It's pretty unique and was fun but I got bored of it pretty quickly. It might get more challenging but I was only playing it in small bursts. Got through the first 4 or 5 bosses.

I'd almost say its worth it just for the unique approach.

Haven't tried vagante though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Time to jump into detective tight pant's story!
1173FD3C05D5F5B428031D8F08CDB43DBB065111

Vlad

I've become soft. Hotline Miami 2 is beating my buttocks. Also I don't think I'll understand the story without reading up on it later.

Yeah, the story in the original was a little abstract, and this one does seem to take it to another level. I'm hoping it all does come together in the end, though.

It starts where 1 left off, I've already died A LOT and there are sections where you can't see far enough and get gunned down. I hope they don't do that too often.

I'm already seeing this complaint a lot and it's confusing me. Are you using the shift-look? Did you manage to go entirely through HM1 without using the shift-look? In both games, enemies were able to shoot you from outside your default field of vision, but not from outside of the shift-look distance.

I would agree that the difficulty feels almost like a continuation of HM1, though. I do enjoy that the more varied environments require you to mix up your weapon selection more. While it was nice being able to almost entirely melee your way through HM1, it felt like the guns were more or less useless. There seems to be a lot more balance in HM2.

Corpekata

Banned
Hand of Fate gets rather hard toward the end. That being said the game is more of a "complete the campaign and move on" sort of game rather than a "real" roguelike so I imagine most people will probably get 10-15ish hours out of it rather than the nearly endless amount people can get out of more freeform ones.

derExperte

I'm already seeing this complaint a lot and it's confusing me. Are you using the shift-look? Did you manage to go entirely through HM1 without using the shift-look? In both games, enemies were able to shoot you from outside your default field of vision, but not from outside of the shift-look distance.

In this one they do.

Tesseract

Banned
Hand of Fate gets rather hard toward the end. That being said the game is more of a "complete the campaign and move on" sort of game rather than a "real" roguelike so I imagine most people will probably get 10-15ish hours out of it rather than the nearly endless amount people can get out of more freeform ones.

aye, guess i'll skip it for something else

tallowmere looks good, gonna try that

zkylon

zkylewd
well, seems like i'm cursed or something.

my modem randomly died overnight so i can't even look up the reference manual for haxe or download hotline miami 2 or anything and the internet people said they'd come on friday, so i'm fucked for the whole week, gonna have to write down a list of stuff to google when i go to like the one net cafe still existing in argieland

seriously fml

I love the whole VHS Tape aesthetic they have in the menus and level select.

Not sure about some of the other aspects (forced character stages) but so far this is what fans have been waiting for.

Except maybe Zky-zky. I dunno if HM2 will be able to recapture the same magic the first game's story pulled off. HM1's story was very minimal and showed its hand when it counted. HM2 is cutscene-heavy and jerks around a lot on the timeline. We'll see, though!
what i'm hoping is that the game expands on the first one in some meaningful way

i want it to be more than a map pack

Shadownet

Banned
So even with Rogue all maxed out. It look almost as good as Unity and I can still run it at 60fps at 1080p. Smooth as butter.

And goddamn Ubisoft have the nerve to tell me that the amount of npc isn't part the problem to why the game run like crap. Okay man.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rogue looks like garbage next to Unity. There is a very clear generational difference in every single department.

I am currently play Rogue at 4k maxed out and I played Unity at 1620p maxed out as a point of reference.

MUnited83

For you.
So even with Rogue all maxed out. It look almost as good as Unity and I can still run it at 60fps at 1080p. Smooth as butter.

And goddamn Ubisoft have the nerve to tell me that the amount of npc isn't part the problem to why the game run like crap. Okay man.
From what i've seen its nowhere near Unity. Hell,i'd argue Black Flag beats it in most areas.

Just got Perfectionist in the first Hexcells game. I know, you guys are all "oh you ain't seen nothin' yet" but gotta start somewhere. I'll admit it, though, it's pretty fun and challenging.

all recs are appreciated

Have you played Tales of Maj'Eyal yet?

Shadownet

Banned
Rogue looks like garbage next to Unity. There is a very clear generational difference in every single department.

I am currently play Rogue at 4k maxed out and I played Unity at 1620p maxed out as a point of reference.

From what i've seen its nowhere near Unity. Hell,i'd argue Black Flag beats it in most areas.

I guess my eyes aren't as good. But I rather take a game that run smoothly over one that can barely hit 60fps on the latest GPU and riddled with bugs.

Edit: Hand of Fate is pretty "solid" in my opinion.

It's pretty fresh to play an RPG in a storytelling way, with inventory management in there.

It's a quick 20 mins play per game. the combat is simple but satisfying, and later on, the enemies get tougher and there are traps on the battlefield you need to keep your eyes out for.

Dr Dogg

To be fair there is a world of difference between this...
and this...
but I certainly had more fun with Rogue which counts quite a bit.

Though even an 9 year old game can get some tweaks to give the visuals a lift...
and still push 8 times the pixels of the 360 version with HBAO+ and 2x SGSSAA.

Then again most of the demanding graphical setting I pursue are a little subtle that some folks hardly notice them relevant to their massive performance cost.

Shadownet

Banned
Sure, but arguing that it looks almost as good... :p

I was indulging in hyperbole.

So I don't know how many of you already know the ending to Rogue. But I couldn't help it and spoiled it for myself. Wow. For the first time since the time of Ezio Auditore, I'm finally having that "Wow what a crazy ride, all those connections finally lined up."

It's like a revelation moment.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if you can accuse many Asscreed games of running smoothly. I got nearly similar performance in Black Flag as I did in Unity. Games just don't run too well.

Dr Dogg

Does Rogue even has any of the PC exclusve tech Flag had?

No Nvidia exclusives but it's got a bevy of upgrades over the console version. Reflections and Ambient Occlusion are the most obvious but texture, shadow quality as well draw distance is a lot higher. Thing is, Rogue probably had a teeny budget and staff compared to Black Flag and it shows in the aesthetics and assets.

Shadownet

Banned
Sure, but arguing that it looks almost as good... :p

No Nvidia exclusives but it's got a bevy of upgrades over the console version. Reflections and Ambient Occlusion are the most obvious but texture, shadow quality as well draw distance is a lot higher. Thing is, Rogue probably had a teeny budget and staff compared to Black Flag and it shows in the aesthetics and assets.

So would you say it's a Ubisoft indie game? :p

DocSeuss

To be fair there is a world of difference between this...

and this...

but I certainly had more fun with Rogue which counts quite a bit.

Though even an 9 year old game can get some tweaks to give the visuals a lift...

and still push 8 times the pixels of the 360 version with HBAO+ and 2x SGSSAA.

Then again most of the demanding graphical setting I pursue are a little subtle that some folks hardly notice them relevant to their massive performance cost.

Rogue is surprisingly good so far. It's blowing my mind. Biggest complaint I have is the segmented maps.

sprinkles

I just watched the GB Quick Look for Ori and the Blind Forest and I am sold on the game. It just looks so pretty. I am feeling all the good Dust: Elysian Tail-vibes. And it comes out in 2 hours!

And I still did not even start HM2 yet as I was so tired after work today. I need to stop buying more games..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom