• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

I think it's a funny joke.

And in no way is it indicated it's a transgendered person. Could easily be a crossdresser. And it fits the setting since... Crossdressers have been around for hundreds of years. :eek:

And good humour is offensive. There's a reason Carlin, CK and Gervais are masters of comedy.

Transgendered people have also been around for hundreds of years. The surgeries we have today might not always have been available, and people would obviously have been more confused without things like the internet to allow them to realize that other people were going through the same situation as them, but there have surely always been people who did not identify as the gender they were born as.

As far as humor goes, it is subjective. I can't tell you whether or not you should find it funny. But it is important to understand why it is considered offensive, so that you don't outright dismiss people who might not view the joke the same way as you. You might not agree with their take on it, but you should at least try to understand it from their perspective.

In this case, the joke is that a man killed himself because he slept with a man who he thought was a woman. It's impossible to know from the details given whether the person in question was actually trans, or a crossdresser, or something else. But it is perfectly understandable that someone who is trans, or is close to someone who is, would read it that way. And the story would likely be one that hits close to home: getting close to someone, then that person finding out they were trans, and instantly being repulsed. In this case, it's not hard to read it as "sleeping with a trans person is a fate worse than death". So whether or not the joke is funny to you, can you at least see why a person with a very different life situation from yours could read that joke and find it it be an attack on their very identity?

I'm not trans, and I don't have any close friends who are, so I can't speak too much on the matter. But I think we should all try to be more understanding of the feelings of others. Whether the joke is offensive, or whether offensive jokes are okay is a whole other matter. But when someone tells an potentially offensive joke, we shouldn't just outright dismiss the feelings of others for being sensitive or overly PC without at least trying to understand why they feel that way.

Edit: Well that was bad timing.

rtcn63

So... how about those console wars? That Amazon PS4 + Bloodborne would look so much better to me if not for the tax. Even then, it's still a pretty good deal because of the gift card. (A PS4 can often be had for $360)

Maniac

Banned
Okay, I think the general tone of the last page has shown that this is not going to be a productive venue to have this conversation. My advice would be that either a reset in terms of tone and approach or moving the conversation somewhere else would be good choices to make right now.

I concur. It's getting silly, especially when what we really should be discussing is Metallica; Unforgiven 1 vs 2 vs 3.

zkylon

zkylewd
Transgendered people have also been around for hundreds of years. The surgeries we have today might not always have been available, and people would obviously have been more confused without things like the internet to allow them to realize that other people were going through the same situation as them, but there have surely always been people who did not identify as the gender they were born as.

As far as humor goes, it is subjective. I can't tell you whether or not you should find it funny. But it is important to understand why it is considered offensive, so that you don't outright dismiss people who might not view the joke the same way as you. You might not agree with their take on it, but you should at least try to understand it from their perspective.

In this case, the joke is that a man killed himself because he slept with a man who he thought was a woman. It's impossible to know from the details given whether the person in question was actually trans, or a crossdresser, or something else. But it is perfectly understandable that someone who is trans, or is close to someone who is, would read it that way. And the story would likely be one that hits close to home: getting close to someone, then that person finding out they were trans, and instantly being repulsed. In this case, it's not hard to read it as "sleeping with a trans person is a fate worse than death". So whether or not the joke is funny to you, can you at least see why a person with a very different life situation from yours could read that joke and find it it be an attack on their very identity?

I'm not trans, and I don't have any close friends who are, so I can't speak too much on the matter. But I think we should all try to be more understanding of the feelings of others. Whether the joke is offensive, or whether offensive jokes are okay is a whole other matter. But when someone tells an potentially offensive joke, we shouldn't just outright dismiss the feelings of others for being sensitive or overly PC without at least trying to understand why they feel that way.

Edit: Well that was bad timing.
not really, yours was a fantastic post to both give the conversation closure or be a good starting point to continue talking about it

I concur. It's getting silly, especially when what we really should be discussing is Metallica; Unforgiven 1 vs 2 vs 3.
wait are those like sequels to the movie?

wtf

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
We also need to decide on the nuuvem animal mascot.

Anything but alpacas. They don't even taste good.

it's already been decided, though ...

all hail the Brazilian Sloth ;)

BlKH9Yr.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Home Sheep Home 2 -- MB-186FC05471656141 - Taken by BernardoOne

Deitus

not really, yours was a fantastic post to both give the conversation closure or be a good starting point to continue talking about it

Well thanks, but it's awkward posting on the subject immediately after Stump told everyone to knock it off. I didn't want it to look like I was trying to get the last word in, and I definitely don't want to get in trouble for continuing to argue after being told to stop (I swear I didn't see Stump's post before I posted).

Maniac

Banned
I personally believe Sloths to be thé superior animal.

They should, if the world was just, be higher on the food-chain than humans.

So... Sloths.

ExoSoul

Banned
should still demand it tho

You have no right to demand someone to change their view of the world, its something that has to come from the inside. That and whether or not you agree with them they are entitled to their view/opinion.

people not being at ease with "minorities" or whatever is strictly their problem. gay people shouldn't be understanding of the people harassing them, that's awful

Actually I'd say the opposite, clearly the person is fine with not being at ease with minorities, the problems would come to those around them.

there's people that take it to the extreme on everything
there's people that's gonna take this as an attack on obsidian and classic rpgs or whatever
it's up to sensible people like u and me to see the difference and say "ok, obs made a mistake, backer guy made a mistake, let's fix it and move on with our lives"

Honestly in this case I think it's a double edged blade, had obsidian talked with the backer about it it could just as easily became a " oh my god, censorship" thing (not debating if justified or not). In a weird way I think obsidian made the right thing and reminded us that people like this still exist (this is a joke).
But yeah, as long as it gets resolved and isn't made a bigger deal than it actually is the world will be fine.

i disagree, and it's not the same making a joke in a private manner than it is in media where it's available for millions of people. when you think it that way then there's a lot of people that's gonna find it offensive and who you should be thinking about

To joke is to ridicule something, big or small, shape or shapeless. If you joke about human behaviour there's always those who will take offense. But then again different people will have different notions of what's funny and what's not.

is that in the game?
because if it's not then it's just you forcing your views on it, and has nothing to do with the world of eternity
for all i know females being manly could be a desirable trait in the world of eternity
True, I merely pointed it as possibility.

Edit: Wow, we're this far in and no one considered the possibility that the dude was just wasted and layed with a feminine looking man xD

I guess then it would become a gay commentary but in that case wouldn't it be showing the struggle many go through and often leading to suicide as in the backers joke? The self doubt that might arise from the situation, the confusion that comes with it and ultimately the decision...

Anyway, no one knows what the backer meant but the backer.

Maniac

Banned
Take the hint from Stump guys

only-dreams-now.gif

Stump is censoring us! THIS MUST NOT STAND!

On the other hand... Sloths are gosh darn cute. And really, if anyone has been offended by this whole ordeal, listen to this.
It should be the final verdict on it, is all I'm saying.

Now... On the subject of sloths: Am I the only one that's slightly terrified by the fact that they have raptor-like claws instead of fingers?

I mean, they're cute. But that aspect is... Mildly terrifying.

---------

And has this been mentioned? Valve to open applications to developers, big and small, for free Vive developer kits, possibly as soon as next week.

Denzelboom.gif

edit: Yes, I realise my wording is awful, but gosh darn it engrish is hard u guis.

ExoSoul

Banned
Now... On the subject of sloths: Am I the only one that's slightly terrified by the fact that they have raptor-like claws instead of fingers?

I mean, they're cute. But that aspect is... Mildly terrifying.

Their main means of transportation and often you'll find them sleeping hanging from branches, those things will take a nap on the spot.

Knurek

Jawmuncher

That's still not how PCs work

At least they have more of an excuse than tecmo. Unless the DOA5 port is somehow in the same boat.
It is what it is. Acquire literally ported the game's code verbatim to PC, which means anything that held true of the console versions will also be true of the PC version. We know PC gamers like having more options, but since we have no programmers of our own (and Sara is busy with a gajillion other titles for us right now, including two Falcom games and Corpse Party), we're limited to what Acquire is able to provide. And ultimately, they're providing everything PC gamers need to get an experience equivalent to that of the console versions, which is a pretty sweet experience overall, so hopefully PC gamers don't mind too much that they can't natively tweak the game as much as they'd probably like to.

I still belive in SWAT 5. i have to.

That was the only thing I could think about while I was watching the Battlefield: Hardline Quicklook. SWAT 3 and 4 were great games.

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a major attempt at at least a spiritual sequel now that crowdfunding has proven to be a viable method to fund a game. I mean, there's obviously interest out there for a new SWAT game or clone.

Accoun

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a major attempt at at least a spiritual sequel now that crowdfunding has proven to be a viable method to fund a game. I mean, there's obviously interest out there for a new SWAT game or clone.

Someone tried that for Rainbow Six and we all know how it turned out. ;_;
Although that was a while ago and AFAIK they had too much faith in investors over Kickstarter and some of those investors backed out or something. Nowadays they probably would have known better how to finance it from observing others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom