• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the thread hoping to find impressions of Joylancer because I was considering getting it from the IndieGala bundle. Instead, I found a giveaway with a key no one had taken. (Thank you, FiveElementNinja!)

Joylancer is basically an action platform that pays homage to the 8-bit NES era, but it's a lot smoother than an actual 8-bit game from back then would have been, I think. Everything looks, sounds, and controls very well.

The game is still in Early Access, and there are a couple of indicators of that (such as a sign showing no text when you're prompted to read), but it's surprisingly solid and polished so far.

I got through the first area, and it didn't auto-save, so I'm not sure if it has a save function at all (I hope there is!) or if it's meant to be played old-school and beaten in one sitting. I'm guessing it auto-saves at some point, because there are other modern concessions included - such as a hit count (which can be disabled). If anyone knows, please respond. (Edit: Saving was taken out, but it's coming back in.)

There's also a 4-color mode you can select to give the game even more of a retro feel, but I haven't tried that yet.

It's fun so far! Easily worth the ridiculously low Gala asking price (and you get other games with it as well).

Go for it, people. :p
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Joylancer: Legendary Motor Knight -- MB-B5D22A6B04DF2F93 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.

t1427768206z1.png

derExperte

I thought that the difficulty level personally was a really satisfying curve that kept each puzzle feeling like an accomplishment without getting too hard...until the last level; I had to actually look up that single solution. My girlfriend watched and helped with some puzzles, so it only took about 2 hours or so to complete the main game.

The 'alternative' puzzles are muuuuch harder, try those if you want more.

Messiah

I'll stop you!

I bought the game on a 40% off sale I think. I have been really looking forward to it and happened to buy a couple nice dance pads on black friday.

I still haven't started the game. It's just because it's early access and they haven't even released the 4th/final level/boss. As soon as they release it, I'm going to play, but wouldn't you hate to finally beat level 3 and then have the game end immaturely? That's what's keeping me from it anyways.

Ah thanks. I will take some more time to consider.

HoosTrax

the PoE bug floodgates have opened.

wouldn't have expected an Obsidian game to have bugs
Yeah I'm actually waiting for a while before I start the game. I remember running into some annoying broken quests and/or broken achievements in Divinity OS, so I'm happy to let other people beta test and get the kinks worked out before I make the plunge.

Ive been helping my girlfriend move her stuff into a storage unit the past couple days and found these babies in the "free to a good home" section. The expansions is still sealed and bd2 pretty much has everything in it. The disks are in pretty great condition too. I might just buy bd on gog and get this quest started

Blu(e)

Reposting this because it got absolutely buried and crushed under all of the
silly ;)
mystery giveaways.

Thanks for the impressions. Joylancer easily looked like the most interesting game in that bundle. I just won a copy,
(<3 thank you WinterDemons)
but I'll most likely play it when it's fully out.

Tizoc

tODAY I came to the SHOCKING realization that my Plus sub on EU PSN had expired 2 weeks ago, time to drop 40 Pounds for this sucker...

Jawmuncher

Ive been helping my girlfriend move her stuff into a storage unit the past couple days and found these babies in the "free to a good home" section. The expansions is still sealed and bd2 pretty much has everything in it. The disks are in pretty great condition too. I might just buy bd on gog and get this quest started

Finding good conditions PC boxes is always a treat especially for cheap or for free.
Reminds me of when I found a perfect box for Phantasmagoria. I still kick myself for not buying it since I think it was like 2 bucks.

----------------------

Wow already 9 hours in PoE and I didn't even realize I have been playing that long. Just finished Act 1. It's a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be.

played gurumin , settings dont save if i play the game in big picture mode , also locked to 30 fps it seems ( havent checked it with fraps but it feels like a 30 fps game ) , aside from all that the game is fun :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Those are valid points.

I usually hate it when games are slow like that, but I think that the ability to rewind when experimenting so that you only have to re-do the last thing you did usually instead of restarting the puzzle made up for the sluggish controls.

Having two minds working on the puzzles at once in my case may have resulted in less trial and error as well, I'd imagine.

EDIT: I see you gave a good review to The Swapper, which is my favorite puzzle game of the past year or so probably.
personally i think that a puzzle game needs to be super quick so that it's as conductive to experimentation and deduction as possible. something like the swapper, or braid, or whatever, have a lot of immediate input and response and a quick way to reset things so that mistakes are never really punished

that way you get to discover the whole extent of the game's mechanics and apply them until you really learn them.

i feel like the bridge, because of how the whole world rotating mechanic works, forced itself to be slow and sluggish so you can't cheese your way out of puzzles by just rotating crap midair or whatever. they could've made the universe just stop while you were rotating but i guess they felt this way was better

i mean, the look of the game is fantastic, but nothing about it really grabbed me, the story didn't really have any hooks that made me feel engaged with it and i never felt like i was getting particularly good at it. it wasn't like hexcells that i felt like i had mastered the game by the end, the whole sluggishness deal just slowed me so bad that sometimes i was just content with getting through a puzzle even if i didn't quite understand what i had done right.

also yea the swapper is pretty great. kind of the opposite of the bridge for me, very intriguing story and very enjoyable and immediate puzzling that ramped up in a way that i almost never got stuck but mostly because it was perfectly paced and the difficulty ramped up in a way that you were always learning something new. and the way the story and the gameplay mixed together was pretty clever, pretty frightening too

in comparison i never quite got why you rotate the world on the bridge? or why the world is all escher-fucked up? something about experiments?

anyways, the swapper is also one of my favorite puzzle platformers, tho i don't really like all that many

damn cool

my dream is to someday get that fat fallout 1 box and maybe build an altar around it

would go nuts if i found that somewhere hidden in like my mom's house

Tizoc

played gurumin , settings dont save if i play the game in big picture mode , also locked to 30 fps it seems ( havent checked it with fraps but it feels like a 30 fps game ) , aside from all that the game is fun :)

Some have run the game at 60 FPS, so the game can do that.

Deitus

I didn't get a Gurumin key, but then I didn't expect to since I never joined their group. I voted for the game on Greenlight to get more Falcom games on Steam, so I'm happy that the game finally came out. Maybe I'll pick it up during a sale sometime though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom