• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

also it's really lame that it uses AA batteries

I use a couple of 2700ma AA's in my wireless 360 controller and they knock the shit out the the Offical Battery pack in charge time and length. Plus in say 10 years time when said propriety batteries are no longer made and doesn't hold a charge you have a useless controller then but with standardised batteries made the world over you can keep on trucking.

There really should be a some sort of template answer for this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005277

Good to see NotTheGuyYouKill is still living up to his tag :p

since this is the Steam thread; what do you expect for the final CN rewards?

q8UXZ2x.png

hoping for Mario&Luigi for 3DS

The Americas get's soo much better CN rewards :(

I'll just console myself with some new New 3DS Cover Plates.

FloatOn

That's exactly the point where people get confused. What would be the reasoning behind releasing another xinput controller? Valve has sought to cover compatibility issues that xinput doesn't cover.

One of the GAFers that received the controller posted an interesting fact. Your computer sees the controller as a mouse and keyboard. So you can plug it into a phone, Linux OS, HTPC, Windows ME, etc and it will be compatible as a M/KB.

Play any game on any operating system released in the last 20+ years. Now that is impressive.

that's well and good. I guess I don't see the point of having TWO trackpads.

from what I understand the analog stick will be for movement and the right trackpad will be for aiming in fps games.

if you are going to overlay a dpad on the left trackpad why not just have a normal dpad?

yuraya

That's exactly the point where people get confused. What would be the reasoning behind releasing another xinput controller? Valve has sought to cover compatibility issues that xinput doesn't cover.

One of the GAFers that received the controller posted an interesting fact. Your computer sees the controller as a mouse and keyboard. So you can plug it into a phone, Linux OS, HTPC, Windows ME, etc and it will be compatible as a M/KB.

Play any game on any operating system released in the last 20+ years. Now that is impressive.

Yep. People have hundreds of games in their libraries that don't have controller support. This controller is easily worth 50$ to play those games. It probably won't be much use for competitive stuff like Dota or CSGO but it will be useful for everything else. Plus it will also be useful for other games that aren't on Steam. Like Origin, GOG etc.

Nabs

Super pumped for the Steam controller. My only disappointment is that they made too many concessions to the "I'm a dinosaur and am incapable of adapting" crowd.

The thing I hate about much of the criticism of the controller is that ultimately, these people wanted a Valve branded 360 pad.

Under our scenario we get an inventive, new controller and they get to keep their traditional controller.

Under their scenario, they'd get a controller just like a DS4 or an Xbox pad and we'd get nothing new.

They're basically fascists.

But fighting games.

FloatOn

You mean excellent. The DS4 scarred me for life, please let me change batteries instead of plugging in the cord every 3hrs.

I haven't played a game for more than 3 hours in one go since I was like 20 something. but I understand the concern.

I guess I'm just used to charging rather than replacing batteries at this point.

Super pumped for the Steam controller. My only disappointment is that they made too many concessions to the "I'm a dinosaur and am incapable of adapting" crowd.

The thing I hate about much of the criticism of the controller is that ultimately, these people wanted a Valve branded 360 pad.

Under our scenario we get an inventive, new controller and they get to keep their traditional controller.

Under their scenario, they'd get a controller just like a DS4 or an Xbox pad and we'd get nothing new.

They're basically fascists.

I was hoping for the best of both worlds. which this almost is save for the dumb left trackpad and small face buttons.

Grief.exe

that's well and good. I guess I don't see the point of having TWO trackpads.

from what I understand the analog stick will be for movement and the right trackpad will be for aiming in fps games.

if you are going to overlay a dpad on the left trackpad why not just have a normal dpad?

Left handed users is the first thing that springs to mind, but it is also highly configurable. Where a dpad locks you into one configuration, the haptic touchpad gives you a multitude of options.

Yep. People have hundreds of games in their libraries that don't have controller support. This controller is easily worth 50$ to play those games. It probably won't be much use for competitive stuff like Dota or CSGO but it will be useful for everything else. Plus it will also be useful for other games that aren't on Steam. Like Origin, GOG etc.

I don't think I'll be playing competitive games with the controller, but if I'm relaxing on a couch i wont really be looking for pin-point accuracy anyways.

zkylon

zkylewd

that's really cool

paradox are nice folks

Likewise, so I got excited when I bumped into Dark Souls II's and it was... surprisingly uneventful. Nothing remotely disturbing about it nor did it have genuine threats. Huge bummer.
i get the impression that area was made with the torch in mind so the idea was that the enemies would be less dangerous since you'd be running without a shield (or two handed sword or dual wield), so anything much more difficult might be too frustrating or something

that i can appreciate but yeah, like you say, it's uneventful

kyaah, I love when you call me dumbo
-__-

abracadaver

Um, I redeemed the key for street fighter but its not showing up in my library? Even restarting Steam didn't help. Where is my game?

every time i see one of those turd bundles i really wonder who is buying them, are they actually playing them, and if those games are real or just made up

No, they already did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_London,_1969

They've revisited Liberty City and San Andreas, I just want my 1960's England :(

Starting from GTA3, here's how many times they've done each city:

Liberty City: 4 (GTA3, GTAIV, Liberty City Stories, Chinatown Wars)
Vice City: 2 (Vice City, Vice City Stories)
San Andreas: 2 (San Andreas, GTAV)

Of them all, only Vice City hasn't seen a reimaging since its inception. Liberty City was identical in GTA3 and LCS and then remixed for Chinatown and IV, San Andreas's map was never repeated AFAIK.

So what i'm saying is give us a new Vice City and then do whatever you want.

FloatOn

Left handed users is the first thing that springs to mind, but it is also highly configurable. Where a dpad locks you into one configuration, the haptic touchpad gives you a multitude of options.

eh, I think left handed gamers have been getting along fine for awhile now.

I can see the argument for having more options but if that's a concern, why not just lapdesk with wireless KB/M at that point? it's not like people will play MMOs with this anyway.

it is what it is at this point. I will just have to see how it feels in my own hands later this year.

every time i see one of those turd bundles i really wonder who is buying them, are they actually playing them, and if those games are real or just made up

some folks are just after the game count like that JaseC guy or whatever his name is ;)

Dr Dogg

Trust me the world doesn't want us 1 in 10 freaks to be comfortable with any ergonomic device. I use a mouse left handed for work and general computery stuff but play quite a few games with the mouse in the right, Skyward Sword pretty much forced you too unless you wanted to tie yourself up (then again I play golf right handed).

Pool games on a controller were usually accommodating allowing you to use the left or right stick to strike the ball and so did Tiger Woods in about 07, 08. Though after close to 25 years of conditioning it's just second nature to have movement on the left and actions and camera on the right. Despite my dominant hand being my left using a controller is no different to using a keyboard in how your brain processes the information.

Yeah being left handed is not a drawback to playing video games.

The only problem I've ever head is that I am slightly worse at "mash button to progress" stuff with my non dominant right hand.

MUnited83

For you.
It is Microsoft. I expected an entire new store and new sub model for PC gamers only.
After GFWL crashing and burning and Microsoft reputation PC game completely tarnished? I know that Microsoft can be dumb but they would never be THAT dumb.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
IndieGala Big Time Bundle

Tier 1
- Who's That Flying??
- Bang Bang Racing

Tier 2
- Anna - Extended Edition
- Sine Mora
- Ceville

Tier 3
- Crash Time III
- Grand Ages: Rome
- Grand Ages: Rome - Reign of Augustus

Seeing Grand Ages: Rome has reminded me that Grand Ages: Medieval is a thing. I hope it turns out to be a solid game as I've been waiting forever for what could be considered a spiritual successor to Knights & Merchants.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I was hoping for the best of both worlds. which this almost is save for the dumb left trackpad and small face buttons.

As much as I love d-pads, in most modern games they are used for item selection and not directional movement. Likewise, the face buttons are concessions to let you feel like you can play your traditional controller games like you always have. In reality, you have as much access to as many buttons on the back, top, and click of the touchpad as you do a traditional controller's face buttons.

It's just weird that people are so worried about where this controller may not excel.

It doesn't have a d-pad, so it can't do 2d games!

The 360 pad didn't have a d-pad and we did just fine.

It doesn't have face buttons or an analog stick so I can't play fighters!

I'm sorry we can't make a compromise for your compromise control scheme.

If these genres really matter to you, get the best dedicated controllers for the task: a SNES pad or a fighting stick.

Benedict

I joined the metagamerscore.com as well now. I'm under the name Benedict and am with the Neogaf crew.
How do I add PSN account?
it seems to fail when I type in my PSN name.

Edit: worked when I small letters only.
Instead of Arkeologen, I had to type arkeologen.

As much as I love d-pads, in most modern games they are used for item selection and not directional movement. Likewise, the face buttons are concessions to let you feel like you can play your traditional controller games like you always have. In reality, you have as much access to as many buttons on the back, top, and click of the touchpad as you do a traditional controller's face buttons.

It's just weird that people are so worried about where this controller may not excel.

It doesn't have a d-pad, so it can't do 2d games!

The 360 pad didn't have a d-pad and we did just fine.

It doesn't have face buttons or an analog stick so I can't play fighters!

I'm sorry we can't make a compromise for your compromise control scheme.

If these genres really matter to you, get the best dedicated controllers for the task: a SNES pad or a fighting stick.
Let's not pretend the 360 pad is anything other than garbage for mimicking a d-pad's function. It can work for such purposes, but it is far from ideal, and far from precise.

The Steampad should aspire to be something higher than "garbage" when bridging the two control methods. Hopefully it has.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Playing Witcher 2 now for the first time. Having fun with it, but I hate how the saves work. There's no seperate autosave slot and every time you save, it creates a new file. I put a shortcut on my desktop to the folder, I'll have to delete saves as I go.

I've played Witcher 3 at a preview event and it's funny how Witcher 2 with everything maxed looks leagues better than Witcher 3 on Xbox One.

zkylon

zkylewd
went to a pc store today, prices are pretty rough, a 270x was like 320 usd or something

i talked to my mom and she might throw me a bone and help me get a 280x so i can at least upgrade a little bit

i found a 280x for like 400... is that thing decent?

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
stahppp

Playing Witcher 2 now for the first time. Having fun with it, but I hate how the saves work. There's no seperate autosave slot and every time you save, it creates a new file. I put a shortcut on my desktop to the folder, I'll have to delete saves as I go.

I've played Witcher 3 at a preview event and it's funny how Witcher 2 with everything maxed looks leagues better than Witcher 3 on Xbox One.
yeah witcha 1 had the same problem and you ended up with like 2 gigs worth of savegames lol

witcha saves are also pretty big, like 150 megs or something

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Let's not pretend the 360 pad is anything other than garbage for mimicking a d-pad's function. It can work for such purposes, but it is far from ideal, and far from precise.

The Steampad should aspire to be something higher than "garbage" when bridging the two control methods. Hopefully it has.

While the D-Pad on the Xbox One controller is much improved, it still handles like shit. I'm finding this out after recently diving into a few retro classics
thanks in no small part to finding RetroAchievements.org from metagamerscore
and I'm really struggling to play the old SNES games with the XBone controller.

madjoki

There's going to be a catch. No way do we see the big exclusive titles, like Halo, Gears, Forza etc, coming to Windows 10 with free multiplayer. That'd make the charge for multiplayer on Xbone's indefensible.

There's still "FREE™ games with gold" thing.

zychi

Banned
After GFWL crashing and burning and Microsoft reputation PC game completely tarnished? I know that Microsoft can be dumb but they would never be THAT dumb.

they released a video game console based around media and a camera. they released halo 2 specifically for a broken os, vista

they flipped their game selling ideas within an hour of fans complaining about owning and trading in games.

they are not the best ran company, they are dumb.

zkylon

zkylewd
for the steam controller i just wish the face buttons were on the right like on xbox controller and maybe it not being so ugly

Nabs

While the D-Pad on the Xbox One controller is much improved, it still handles like shit. I'm finding this out after recently diving into a few retro classics
thanks in no small part to finding RetroAchievements.org from metagamerscore
and I'm really struggling to play the old SNES games with the XBone controller.

Yeah. The new d-pad won't get you killed in Dark Souls like the old one, but it's not something I'd want to use for a 2D platformer.

Just so you know, there's common and major bug where the game starts crashing all of the time if you have too many saves. I'd suggest you cull them saves down before encountering this issue because it totally sucks.

Dr Dogg

The thing is there really isn't the tick every box, do everything, hands down best controller out there. Sure some come close, namely the WiiU Pro Pad but it's lacking analogue triggers so driving games are a bit of a pain unless you're a demon using the right stick to accelerate and brake. DS3's cramp my hands up after an hour and the triggers are rubbish. 360 pad has that floaty dpad, Xbone controller has bumpers that can be a bit iffy for some (haven't used one outside of a demo unit but seemed fine to me). DS4's have shocking battery life and some early suspect build quality (plus still look a little too small for me).

I'd love Sega to release the Saturn Analogue pad mixed in with the OG Saturn Pad with extra shoulder buttons and a second stick as that had one of the best analogue sticks and the best dpad I've used. Really wished I got one of the NeoGeo CD USB pads when they were still available.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just so you know, there's common and major bug where the game starts crashing all of the time if you have too many saves. I'd suggest you cull them saves down before encountering this issue because it totally sucks.

Thanks, I've already started doing this. I'm only keeping my most recent saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom