• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Game had servers down 20-30 minutes when game launched in US and before and since then as far as i can see there are 0 issues. And because of those 20-30 minutes and because it is Ubisoft game we have those Steam reviews that mostly won't change. That is why Steam Review system sucks.

Steam Reviews (along with steam refunds) are quite the uncontrollable weapons. They can do good and extreme harm all at the same time.

shira

Is there a Phoenix Wright or courtroom drama type game on steam
LCnCRPK.gif

Knurek

At max settings. As with any PC title worth its salt you adjust things to suit your hardware.

Oh, I'm aware, only GameGPU (and similar sites) test everything at max settings.

I'm wish NVIDIA guides would test more hardware than the current 'single top of the line system' setup.

You know, I like those 980 TI benchmarks and all, I'd appreciate though if they'd include ones for 970 and 960 as well.

Is there a Phoenix Wright or courtroom drama type game on steam
LCnCRPK.gif

Danganronpa and/or Aviary Attorney and/or Law and Order: Legacies.

I'm wish NVIDIA guides would test more hardware than the current 'single top of the line system' setup.

You know, I like those 980 TI benchmarks and all, I'd appreciate though if they'd include ones for 970 and 960 as well.
But how are they gonna make you feel bad so that you upgrade to a better Nvidia card?

Nvidia Money. The way it's meant to be spent.

dex3108

Steam Reviews (along with steam refunds) are quite the uncontrollable weapons. They can do good and extreme harm all at the same time.

Refund system at least has some rules (that suck for short games and it still allows refunds that don't meet criteria sometimes). Review system has no rules and there are tons of reviews "This sucks" and nothing more. And many people will just look at the "score" under the name and they won't read reviews at all.

yuraya

That is why Steam Review system sucks.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the system. Stardew valley has 98% overwhelmingly positive reviews. Tons n tons of games on Steam games have very positive reviews. Seems like people who like a game give it a thumbs up and those who don't give it a thumbs down. That is how it should be. I don't see anything wrong with it.

People just get upset when a game they like doesn't get great reviews and they blame the system.

If there's one thing Steam reviews could use is something similar to what the App Store on apple devices has: that the review be tied to a version/build of a game. That way, if a game is fixed in a patch and works much better you aren't mislead by the reviews stating that it's a buggy piece of crap and dont bother.

That, of course, works the other way too: if a new update breaks a game then everyone knows to hold out for a patch because all of the reviews for the most recent build are tearing it a new one.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I don't think there is anything wrong with the system. Stardew valley has 98% overwhelmingly positive reviews. Tons n tons of games on Steam games have very positive reviews. Seems like people who like a game give it a thumbs up and those who don't give it a thumbs down. That is how it should be. I don't see anything wrong with it.

People just get upset when a game they like doesn't get great reviews and they blame the system.

Ubisoft games seem to get a lot bad reviews just cause there are Ubi games and use Uplay... All these "Internet warriors" can destroy the score of totally fine games just cause it's the cool thing to hate them at the moment...

I don't really care either way but I think some kind of moderation for the reviews would be nice...

The Steam reviews system fails when joke reviews get into the mix. Which happens all too often. Take Bad Rats that is mostly positive (I remember the days when this was considered the worst Steam game ever) due to a torrent of lame joke reviews that are thumbs up (usually making a joke about CoD). I think this is why the funny button was introduced...

dex3108

So it is ok to buy game, Play game 2 hours, server crashes and it is down for 20 minutes, leave negative review (servers/Ubisoft/UPlay sucks), server goes up, continue to play game for 10/15/40 hours more and never correct your review?

On the other hand there are issues with good reviews too. Often people will leave comment "Game is Awesome" and that is it.

Those are not reviews in my opinion. Those are simple forum comments/reddit posts that people can upvote.

The_Super_Inframan

So it is ok to buy game, Play game 2 hours, server crashes and it is down for 20 minutes, leave negative review (servers/Ubisoft/UPlay sucks), server goes up, continue to play game for 10/15/40 hours more and never correct your review?

yeah, writing a review about a MMO like game on release day is also pretty useless

zfBFHFV.png

really useful...

On the other hand there are issues with good reviews too. Often people will leave comment "Game is Awesome" and that is it.

Those are not reviews in my opinion. Those are simple forum comments/reddit posts that people can upvote.

Don't forget the "funny" posts that people vote as helpful instead of as funny.

I'm reminded of the GTA V one where the guy does a little number about the three main characters and who can play tennis and who can't, then gives it a 10/10 for racism.

yes but it will be the cga ibm version with the one tone beeper for sound. I'm disappointed in that.

im genuinely surprised that they even bothered, tbh. Would've figured that would be a hard sell to some disney suitman, to put a whole entire other game inside this game even if that's how it was originally sold.

I'm hoping that Double Fine doesn't release another glitchy remaster after Grim Fandango. I had the game hard lock once and there was a whole puzzle that I could proceed on because a cutscene bugged out forcing me to reload the game.

edit: oh wow, I just discovered UHS. I wish i knew this was a thing during my time with Grim : /

yuraya

Ubisoft games seem to get a lot bad reviews just cause there are Ubi games and use Uplay... All these "Internet warriors" can destroy the score of totally fine games just cause it's the cool thing to hate them at the moment...

I don't really care either way but I think some kind of moderation for the reviews would be nice...

Does a person have to torture themselves for 100 hours before being allowed to say a game is bad? Time played shouldn't really matter. First impression matters a lot to people. Just because a game has mmo elements doesn't give it special privilege when it comes to criticism. Lots of people put many hours into the Beta so the 2 hours stuff isn't really accurate.

Besides its not just server issues that people are bringing up. Some reviews are saying the AI is dumb. The missions are boring and repetitive etc. None of it really matters tho. The thumbs up/down paints a bigger picture on a game imo. If you are sitting at only 49% positive on launch day then there is something seriously wrong with the game.

The conspiracy theories with Ubisoft are silly as well. Like...people give Ubisoft 60$ so that they can have the right to hate on them? Sounds pretty crazy. Even if there are crazy people like that who despise Uplay I would assume they are a small minority that doesn't impact much in terms of reviews.

well i think it's crazy to ding an online only game for day one issues when, unfortunately, that's pretty common for online-only games.

I mean, what was the last major online only release that didn't shit the bed the first couple of days of its release?

Messiah

well i think it's crazy to ding an online only game for day one issues when, unfortunately, that's pretty common for online-only games.

I mean, what was the last major online only release that didn't shit the bed the first couple of days of its release?
SFV
it was over a week, not just a few days

The_Super_Inframan

Does a person have to torture themselves for 100 hours before being allowed to say a game is bad? Time played shouldn't really matter. First impression matters a lot to people. Just because a game has mmo elements doesn't give it special privilege when it comes to criticism. Lots of people put many hours into the Beta so the 2 hours stuff isn't really accurate.

Besides its not just server issues that people are bringing up. Some reviews are saying the AI is dumb. The missions are boring and repetitive etc. None of it really matters tho. The thumbs up/down paints a bigger picture on a game imo. If you are sitting at only 49% positive on launch day then there is something seriously wrong with the game.

The conspiracy theories with Ubisoft are silly as well. Like...people give Ubisoft 60$ so that they can have the right to hate on them? Sounds pretty crazy. Even if there are crazy people like that who despise Uplay I would assume they are a small minority that doesn't impact much in terms of reviews.

Maybe The Division is a really bad game, could be, I have no intention of ever playing it... I'm more concerned with the shitpost like "review" culture on Steam that has no useful information to offer and can hurt especially smaller games a lot...

Disgaea is a good example of that, the game was barely released for two hours and everybody posts "reviews" how bad the port is and so on... and yes there where problems, but nowhere near as bad as you would assume just looking at the Steam reviews...
And as with most small devs the bugs got fixed as fast as possible...

Maybe I'm just hating these super hateful, inpatient, cliche gamer types that are so fast to post and yell there opinion on the net...

I'm too old for this shit :p

And I'm not defending Ubisoft, but when people buy a 60$ game without waiting at least for some impressions/reviews and are disappointed afterwards that the game sucks oe they don't like it, well, live and learn

Dr Dogg

Steam reviews, serious business!

Seriously how many of you use them as a form of purchase guidance? If so what sort of ratio are we talking here?

Oh, I'm aware, only GameGPU (and similar sites) test everything at max settings.

Well when you put that quote into context (as in there are no Texture Quality settings in game and that it will use ~75% of your VRAM to stream assets) it kind of makes sense. Also Nvidia's guides obviously focus on the GPU side of things and use an adequate, but not unrealistic CPU to alleviate any issues where that's the limiting factor. They are in the business of selling GPUs of course. And if you look at the last picture in the guide you can indeed see they test on a fairly wide specturm of their current hardware.

I mean they're not going to bother with EOL products as they still want to hock you a new GPU but it might add some weight as to what would be the benefits to upgrading to a newer GPU. Of course that might show a smaller gap and put people off until newer architecture comes out. Then again at 4K though 4GB of VRAM seems a right kick in the dangly bits.

The_Super_Inframan

Seriously how many of you use them as a form of purchase guidance? If so what sort of ratio are we talking here?

I tend to take a quick look at them for smaller games that look kinda interesting and don't have much coverage anywhere else on the internet

Hektor

Disgaea is a good example of that, the game was barely released for two hours and everybody posts "reviews" how bad the port is and so on... and yes there where problems, but nowhere near as bad as you would assume just looking at the Steam reviews...
And as with most small devs the bugs got fixed as fast as possible...

Maybe I'm just hating these super hateful, inpatient, cliche gamer types that are so fast to post and yell there opinion on the net...

I don't think it's fair to call those people impatient. If you buy a game it should work properly that very moment, there shouldn't be a need to be patient.

It's easy to spot a game with technical issues, steam reviews aren't entirely useless. I rely my purchases on gaffers' opinions.

The_Super_Inframan

I don't think it's fair to call those people impatient. If you buy a game it should work properly that very moment, there shouldn't be a need to be patient.

True, you are right :)
but as said above, when was the last launch for a bigger MMOish style game without problems...

It's just the nature of the thing, everybody wants to play at once and the servers go the way of the Dodo...

I'm really not defending anybody here

I only care about the color. Anything besides "blue" and I scroll down to read. After many, many meme-esque trash "reviews" I find useful ones actually pointing out issues.
Always watch Youtube videos/reviews in concert. Haven't followed IGN, Gamespot etc. in a long time. Only German GameStar and not for the reviews but gameplay/impression videos.

It's easy to spot a game with technical issues, steam reviews aren't entirely useless. I rely my purchases on gaffers' opinions.

This is all they're good for really. I quit paying attention to Steam reviews a long time ago. Now we have people paying for fake reviews on top off all the other nonsense.

Well when you put that quote into context (as in there are no Texture Quality settings in game and that it will use ~75% of your VRAM to stream assets) it kind of makes sense. Also Nvidia's guides obviously focus on the GPU side of things and use an adequate, but not unrealistic CPU to alleviate any issues where that's the limiting factor. They are in the business of selling GPUs of course. And if you look at the last picture in the guide you can indeed see they test on a fairly wide specturm of their current hardware.

I mean they're not going to bother with EOL products as they still want to hock you a new GPU but it might add some weight as to what would be the benefits to upgrading to a newer GPU. Of course that might show a smaller gap and put people off until newer architecture comes out. Then again at 4K though 4GB of VRAM seems a right kick in the dangly bits.

My 980 was a mistake, it's already nothing but trash

Dr Dogg

I tend to take a quick look at them for smaller games that look kinda interesting and don't have much coverage anywhere else on the internet

Fair enough. I still err on the side of seeking opinions from those I'm familiar with than a bunch of randoms on the internet but I guess it all boils down to what works for you.

You mean like a large quantity/percentage of reviews saying the same thing or highlighting similar issues? Sure sometimes that's a good indication but sometimes (well quite often in fact) people who leave quick fire reviews are not the most technically sound. Good starting point for investigation though I'll admit.

Its the most important thing for me, how else am I supposed to know if a game is 10/10 and worth being played again?

We need a ReviewBot to automate the task.

I'm fairly sure most people feel this way. "If you didn't play it for 100 hours, you don't understand the game" is a sentiment I've only heard on GAF. Hell, most film reviewers know in the first hour whether a film is good or not. A lot of major game developers want to be seen in the same class/hierarchy as films, so we should be able to critique them in the same way.

You shouldn't have to torture yourself to know whether something is good or not.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just beat Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Good game. Main story was kind of lame, and I felt the ending was kind of disappointing.

Game is way too easy, though. Even on hard I was just stomping fools by the end. Scattershot is OP as all hell.

Uzzy

Total War: Warhammer delayed till May.

Specs have been announced too.

PC Minimum Specifications:

[Expected around 15-25 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low”]

Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz

RAM: 3GB*

Hard Drive: 35 GB

Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P

*PC integrated graphics chipsets require 4GB ram, e.g. Intel HD series

PC Recommended Specifications:

[Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “High”]

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @1080P

PC 60fps+ Specifications:

[Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”]

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P

Just beat Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Good game. Main story was kind of lame, and I felt the ending was kind of disappointing.

Game is way too easy, though. Even on hard I was just stomping fools by the end. Scattershot is OP as all hell.

Yeah, the XP scaling is really screwed up, from what I've read. If you run over to endgame quest zones while you're still at an early level, the enemies stay locked to that level and never scale up.

I only care about the color. Anything besides "blue" and I scroll down to read. After many, many meme-esque trash "reviews" I find useful ones actually pointing out issues.
Always watch Youtube videos/reviews in concert. Haven't followed IGN, Gamespot etc. in a long time. Only German GameStar and not for the reviews but gameplay/impression videos.

I still see reviews as a major point of interest when deciding to buy something, especially if I'm considering a day one purchase. There are some cases where I try a beta and decide I don't want it anymore (Hitman), but by and large, I'll go to somewhere like Eurogamer and find out what they think before I consider dropping the money for it.

I also pride myself on writing thorough Steam reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom