• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still see reviews as a major point of interest when deciding to buy something, especially if I'm considering a day one purchase. There are some cases where I try a beta and decide I don't want it anymore (Hitman), but by and large, I'll go to somewhere like Eurogamer and find out what they think before I consider dropping the money for it.
Yes, I can see traditional reviews making sense for Day1 purchases by sheer lack of impressions. I don't do Day1 so I shut that aspect off likely.

Didn't realize I already had these games after I won them - just giving them back. First come, first serve.

Outlast - 7DJV7-24GRZ-0EPZ2
Retro City Rampage DX - V94EA-I62TW-0AABL

Dr Dogg

Ubisoft is at it again!

Here's the list of the Ubisoft Club rewards for The Division, among them you'll notice one sticks out...
Iconic Division Jacket – Adds the iconic Tom Clancy’s The Division™ jacket as worn by Agent Ryan to the Rewards Claim Vendor.

Never has a word been more inappropriately used. Christ they probably think it's part of their iconography too!

Here's a picture of the 'Iconic' jacket.
tc-the-division-ubisoft-club-reward-iconic-jacket.jpg
A picture say's a thousand words. Yeah.

Speaking of there's also this...
The Broker Outfit said:

tuxfool

Banned
Never has a word me more inappropriately used. Christ they probably think it's part of their iconography too!

Is this any surprise after they created an iconic character remembered by the fact that he wears a baseball cap?

Xanathus

Didn't realize I already had these games after I won them - just giving them back. First come, first serve.

Outlast - 7DJV7-24GRZ-0EPZ2
Retro City Rampage DX - V94EA-I62TW-0AABL
Took Retro City Rampage, thanks.

Ubisoft is at it again!

Here's the list of the Ubisoft Club rewards for The Division, among them you'll notice one sticks out...

Never has a word me more inappropriately used. Christ they probably think it's part of their iconography too!

A picture say's a thousand words. Yeah.

Speaking of there's also this...
I don't really understand what you're complaining about? I'm guessing they used iconic for that jacket because that's the jacket used in their marketing for this Agent Ryan character e.g. like Commander Sheppard's iconic N7 armor?

Dr Dogg

The only things iconic about The Division so far are the usually Ubisoft fake gameplay reveal, fake forced team chatter, and maybe if you want to attach it to an in universe item probably the watch all the agents wear. It was one of the first items you see in all the trailers, used to bring up the map and open certain doors and even was at one point part of the logo. But a jacket? In a game where after an hour you have enough cheap windcheater's to open up your own branch of Millets? I think in the beta after 20 hours I had about 40 of the same pallet swapped jackets and not one of them iconic in it's own right.

It's another gloriously missed mark from Ubisoft's marketing department. You don't get to self elect what is and isn't iconic and calling Aiden Pearce's cap, Arno's watch and now Ryan's jacket (and Ryan isn't even a character in the game but an avatar used to show off the game prerelease) iconic doesn't make them so.

You guys are reaaalllyyy stretching to find something to hate The Division for.

It's not a question of hate more pointing out the absurdity and hilariousness of the situation. I certainly wouldn't want to think I come across as your atypical angry forum ranter.

Parsnip

Everyone knows that Haytham is the true protag of AC3.

Is there any point on getting all items in Momodora 1? Does it unlock a secret ending or something, or are they just collectibles?

You guys are reaaalllyyy stretching to find something to hate The Division for.

the server issues were expected (wasn't naive enough to think everything would be all rainbows and butterflies at launch)...only thing I'm annoyed by is the issue currently with Ubisoft Rewards stuff not showing up after being claimed (and also some people aren't getting their Season Pass bonuses and such either)

I have no issues with the game itself...really like it

Digital Foundry compared the most recent i7's for gaming performance, interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu

Verdict:

Intel's Core i7 6700K is the fastest gaming CPU

In theory, the Core i7 6700K is actually the weakest CPU out of the three tested. Run any of the standard multi-core benchmarks and you'll almost certainly see the Haswell-E chips wipe the floor with Intel's latest Skylake technology. However, clearly gaming doesn't play by the same rules as canned benchmarks, where the 6700K's price vs performance profile is simply brilliant. What we initially considered to be a remarkable processor looks even better when stacked up against Intel's own, more higher-end competition. But that is not to suggest that the 5820K and 5960X won't do a great game in gaming. In many cases, there's just a few percentage points between all three chips.

Despite the lower number of physical cores and older architecture, skylake pulled ahead thanks to sheer speed.

What games have really been CPU bound in the last 3-4 years though?

almost every game I've played has been limited by my GPU. Maybe i'm just not playing the type of games that would really give my CPU a run for its money?

What games have really been CPU bound in the last 3-4 years though?

almost every game I've played has been limited by my GPU. Maybe i'm just not playing the type of games that would really give my CPU a run for its money?

Games with lots of stuff going on (tons of npc's, etc) which involves lots of AI routines tend to be the usual suspects and the benchmarks in this article seem to confirm this with GTA5 and ACU achieving the lowest frame-rates.
But yeah, the article implies that the gpus are holding them back, even though they're using a TitanX and 2 980's in SLI, at least at 1080p.

Why not test 4690K as well?

Dunno. They don't mention that one.

madjoki

Digital Foundry compared the most recent i7's for gaming performance, interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu

Verdict:

Despite the lower number of physical cores and older architecture, skylake pulled ahead thanks to sheer speed.

No, Skylake is newest architecture, with highest single-core performance. Intel's 6+ core use older architectures for some reason (probably maturity of tech giving higher yields or something like that).

No, Skylake is newest architecture, with highest single-core performance. Intel's 6+ core use older architectures for some reason (probably maturity of tech giving higher yields or something like that).

Yeah, older isn't the right word, I was talking about the feature advantages they mention in the second paragraph that in theory would give X99 the upper hand:

While the 5820K and 5960X are based on the last generation Haswell technology (dubbed Haswell-E), the X99 enthusiast platform is rich with high-end features. Not only does it have access to the latest DDR4 system RAM technology, it offers quad-channel functionality while Skylake sits at dual-channel. X99 also offers more PCI Express bandwidth, opening the door to full 16x bandwidth per card for three and four-GPU SLI/CrossFire configurations.

Grief.exe

Just beat Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Good game. Main story was kind of lame, and I felt the ending was kind of disappointing.

Game is way too easy, though. Even on hard I was just stomping fools by the end. Scattershot is OP as all hell.

Yeah, the XP scaling is really screwed up, from what I've read. If you run over to endgame quest zones while you're still at an early level, the enemies stay locked to that level and never scale up.

I remember people recommending completely skipping side quests in the game as you will obliterate the balance.

LOL, saw this on Twitter:

CdCJXGhWAAAck0c.jpg

People are going to write dissertations and studies on this event, truly unprecedented.

Yeah, older isn't the right word, I was talking about the feature advantages they mention in the second paragraph that in theory would give X99 the upper hand:

While the 5820K and 5960X are based on the last generation Haswell technology (dubbed Haswell-E), the X99 enthusiast platform is rich with high-end features. Not only does it have access to the latest DDR4 system RAM technology, it offers quad-channel functionality while Skylake sits at dual-channel. X99 also offers more PCI Express bandwidth, opening the door to full 16x bandwidth per card for three and four-GPU SLI/CrossFire configurations.

Now that's true enthusiast level settings.

V. Chronicles is almost at 650,000 owners.
Wonder if it can reach 1 mil by this year's end =O
http://steamspy.com/app/294860

I don't think the historical numbers will justify that kind of spike, but it will continue its steady march in revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom