• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timed Xbox exclusivity on post-release content was revealed a few weeks ago. Some sites were just slow to pick up on it. As per the article, the exact phrasing is "30 days before Sony sees it", so there is the vague possibility that the PC version isn't affected, which wouldn't be all that surprising given Ubi's history of including "PlayStation-exclusive" content in the PC DDEs of its games.

Ah. Alright. Just saw the news on another website today, so I thought it was just announced after release.
Thanks.

dex3108

The timed Xbox exclusivity on post-release content was revealed a few weeks ago. Some sites were just slow to pick up on it. As per the article, the exact phrasing is "30 days before Sony sees it", so there is the vague possibility that the PC version isn't affected, which wouldn't be all that surprising given Ubi's history of including "PlayStation-exclusive" content in the PC DDEs of its games.

As far as i know since E3 last year they were talking that X1 will receive DLCs first.

Ludens

Banned
So good to see that game back again. :)

The game is awesome (also I wonder if DF manteined Maniac Mansion as playable bonus like in the original, I asked them but they never replied), but I'll wait for a 75% off.

I bought Grim Fandango Remastered on D1 and it was a buggy mess, it took some patches to become normal, and even after I had some minor bugs I could fix with a reload (like Manny flying in the air, I even posted some screenshots here I think). So I'll wait, DF games drop in price very fast.

Anyway, as I wrote, one of the best Lucas titles (well, I honestly like them all, they are a piece of my youth :p).

Dr Dogg

Updated with new peeps. And I'm still waiting on my cheapo copy to turn up :(

0xL22nP.png

Submit Your Details Here.

**Spreadsheet Here!**

Happy Birthday to me!
xomD9ZDl.jpg

Here are presents to myself:

And here is a present for you!

It was going to be Dark Souls 3 but apparently GMG isn't giving out keys yet and I'd rather have something someone can redeem immediately so enjoy! o/
Happy birthday Nine!
who designed this god awful ruin sentinel boss fight?
They are relentless. Gotta take out the first in the balcony asap. A summon helps out a lot thin out the chaos.
I'm sure this is old, but still.

Secret Extra option in Prison Architect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsL-D344BU

It's real, just tried it.
Wow, how cool to hide such an interesting option :D

Going by the impressions from people who played the vita version Mind Zero is pretty mediocre. There's another similar game on the Vita which apparently is much better called Demon Gaze, I wish that one was coming to steam instead. Hopefully it will eventually.

Going by the impressions from people who played the vita version Mind Zero is pretty mediocre. There's another similar game on the Vita which apparently is much called Demon Gaze, I wish that one was coming to steam instead. Hopefully it will eventually.

It is. It literally is a persona ripoff (you can even notice that from the character designs, not subtle at all!) and isn't even good story-wise.

I don't really remember if the characters were serviceable or not anymore.

Ozium

It is. It literally is a persona ripoff (you can even notice that from the character designs, not subtle at all!) and isn't even good story-wise.

I don't really remember if the characters were serviceable or not anymore.

so it's like Persona 4 then

Dr Dogg

So just reading through Andy from Nvidia guide for The Division (you know as you do for some light reading when you should be doing work) and while it's the usual stuff you expect, one thing jumps out at me a mile. Latest new fancy effect from the Nvidia folks is Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows (there will be a GDC Talk about it somewhat here for those that graphics make them all tingly) but fuck it just look at this instead.

Bicycle Spoke Shadows is the bleeding edge tech of 2016! Call of Duty can keep it's fish physics, this is the future!

dex3108

So just reading through Andy from Nvidia guide for The Division (you know as you do for so light reading when you should be doing work) and while it's the usual stuff you expect, one thing jumps out at me a mile. Latest new fancy effect from the Nvidia folks is Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows (there will be a GDC Talk about it somewhat here for those that graphics make them all tingly) but fuck it just look at this instead.

Bicycle Spoke Shadows is the bleeding edge tech of 2016! Call of Duty can keep it's fish physics, this is the future!

I love that rainbow color puddle on the left :D

You can block people's progress in The Division by standing in a doorway
The game's first safehouse includes a bottleneck where other players are unable to pass if you stand in their way.

Players spawn in a small room after meeting one of the game's main characters, Faye Lau, in a cut-scene.

People are blocking others from moving on by simply standing in the open doorway - or, if they want to troll players even more, by standing there waving or performing jumping jack emotes in their faces.

Knurek

one thing jumps out at me a mile. Latest new fancy effect from the Nvidia folks is Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows (there will be a GDC Talk about it somewhat here for those that graphics make them all tingly) but fuck it just look at this instead.

Now, if only Ubisoft used one engine for all their games (like Valve or EA), instead of having each and every studio reinvent the wheel called CryEngine in their own way.

The Division user reviews: Positive (1,239) Negative (1,333).

So predictable.

Though most of the negative reviews seem to be about the servers being down on launch day.

Dr Dogg

As much shit as peeps give Destiny that seems to be one of the few, and maybe the only large scale, online only titles that avoided launch day pigs stuck in a passage syndrome.

Only when their game doesnt cost usd 60 :v
Heh, indie doesn't mean light on meat automatically though. There are plenty games by small indie devs offering more depth, replay value, quality & quantity than many AAA games.
Initial pricing don't mean much thanks to patience, sales and bundles ;)

Well I finished off Rise of the Tomb Raider last night. Incredibly beautiful game to look at and the combat is decent but... those are just about the only good things I can say about it. The game is an dull, designed by committee affair. The script is the worst part of the experience with some extremely terrible writing on display. I imagine the writer had an Indiana Jones marathon evening and then submitted their final draft the next morning.

The gameplay consists of linear levels with straightforward platforming, combat and wandering around in a semi open world collecting all sorts of junk. The platforming is virtually automated and they do everything but put up neon signs pointing you in the correct direction. Every surface you can climb or jump onto is miraculously painted because the developers have very little faith in their audience. On the other hand, I was actually kind of impressed with the combat. Weapons having multiple ammo types and skills to improve them made for some entertaining combat encounters. I was also surprised that the developers managed to restrain themselves with the number of enemies you face in the game. It's not like Uncharted where you're killing enemies 80% of the time you play. This game has large areas that are free of enemies that let you explore in peace and even when you do face enemies, it's never an overwhelming number.

That exploration is ultimately pointless though, because the game has a metric ton of crap to collect which serves very little purpose. You get XP for finding all the collectibles but that XP is used to unlock skills and about 80% of the skill trees are kind of useless anyway. The tombs are just as bad as the ones in the previous game and of course they're still optional... another sign that the developers have little faith in the players to be able to complete even easy puzzles.

In the end this game turned out to be like Fallout 4 for me. I finished it, so I didn't completely hate it, but it's a very shallow experience overall. I'm amazed that some people were talking about this being a GOTY contender last year.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
GOG is offering me 60p off a future purchase to "offset the regional pricing" if I buy Day of the Tentacle.

Why not just make the game 60p cheaper then?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Makes it easier to invoice Double Fine with right amount of money per sale, I imagine.

Hm. That might be it. It just feels like how Sainsbury's gives you those "Here's £1.83 off your next shop in a voucher that will be either lost or expired by the time you come back" while Tesco is all "Hey, we already took that money off your total for today, don't worry about it".

You know what I'm talking about.

Tizoc

Hm. That might be it. It just feels like how Sainsbury's gives you those "Here's £1.83 off your next shop in a voucher that will be either lost or expired by the time you come back" while Tesco is all "Hey, we already took that money off your total for today, don't worry about it".

You know what I'm talking about.

They've been doing that for all their releases. GOG has some good titles and you would eventually be tempted to get a Steam game you already own DRM-free which with that 'credit' lets you save up even more :p

Those Steam reviews for The Division lookin extra spicy :D

Uplay was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

lol most people wont buy the game from Steam so it doesnt matter. Also, as much as I dislike not having all my game on one platform, uplay has worked flawlessly for me this launch. No lag, no downtime (for me).

dex3108

Those Steam reviews for The Division lookin extra spicy :D

Uplay was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Game had servers down 20-30 minutes when game launched in US and before and since then as far as i can see there are 0 issues. And because of those 20-30 minutes and because it is Ubisoft game we have those Steam reviews that mostly won't change. That is why Steam Review system sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom