• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

So I was in the process of cleaning up my mess of a desktop and started to wonder 'why on earth do I have this installed?' a number of times when finding shortcuts here and there. So then for the enjoyment/boredom of you all here's my gaming/Steam related list (Steam is in the Taskbar before you ask).

Top Right of Screen said:
drM12xN.png

From Right to Left
  • Discord - Voice and text chat
  • Mumble - Voice chat (Skype is on my desktop also but over with the 'normie' shortcuts)
  • FM Genie Scout 15 - To find the wonderkids and easy editing in FM15
  • Cheat Engine - More uses that you can shake a stick at
  • GFWL Marketplace - To never forget the past actions of Microsoft (Also because I've got Gears installed)
  • Game Save Manager - To manage my saved games (Linked to my Dropbox account also)
  • Origin - For Origin stuff
  • Epic Games Launcher - For UE4 nonsense, UT Alpha and Shadow Complex
  • Uplay - Because it's the best client
  • Battle.net - Blizzard stuff
  • Diablo III & Hearthstone - Shortcut without client so works with Steam Controller
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue - Actually a shortcut that is part of a script to check when a preload is active (Rogue being the first game I did it for and the icon has stuck whilst the target line I chage)
  • FIFA 15, Battlefront, XCOM 2 & Far Cry 4 - No idea why

Bottom Right of Screen said:
From Right to Left
  • Valley & Heaven - GPU Benches for OC stability testing
  • CINEBENCH - Comparative system benching
  • OCCT - For 6 monthly CPU OC Stability torture testing
  • CPU-Z - CPU info
  • HWMonitor - System and temp monitoring (Real temp is preferable but that's burried in my downloads folder)
  • GPU-Z - GPU info and validation (handy with BIOS tweaks)
  • Inspector - Nvidia driver manipulation
  • Afterburner - Monitoring and screenies
  • FRAPS - Monitoring, screenies and benching
  • FRAFS Bench Viewer - Easy peasy FRAP bench viewer
  • EVGA Precission - Because I haven't unistalled it
  • GeDoSaTo - Downsampling to the nth degree and other goodies
  • GFE - ShadowPlay (don't really use it for much else these days)
  • gDEBugger, AMD Perf Studio, RenderDoc & PIX - Seeing what makes a game tick
  • Borderless Gaming - Does what it says on the tin
  • SRWE - Borderless windows support again but much more in depth and used for hot sampling when available

And that's a culled list of shortcuts. Still considering these were all my choice it could be quite interesting to see what you folks have on your desktops and why you chose to make or keep a shortcut of them. I imagine some wildly different setups from just recycle bins to full on milamber's.

Hektor

I really want Plants vs Zombies 2 on steam. Can't they just release the game with all microtransactions content and call it definitiv edition or something? That would be so lovely.

xist

Nice, a field saying steam ID but not exactly stating what they mean (as there several things it could be). I just went with my profile URL.

I did this too and then worried about the same thing.....so I sent them a question via their support page. If they reply I'll let you know what they say.

Ruruja

That PC Starter Pack deal on Uplay is pretty nice.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Assassin's Creed 2
Trackmania Stadium
Anno 1404

for €10/£8

Dr Dogg

VideoGamer are a bunch of miserable bastards and seeing as I'm a miserable bastard too it's usually too much negative tension in the same space at the same time (like a shit(ter) version of Time Cop, if that's possible). I think if me a Burns were in the same room the world might cease to exist.

AHA-Lambda

VideoGamer are a bunch of miserable bastards and seeing as I'm a miserable bastard too it's usually too much negative tension in the same space at the same time (like a shit(ter) version of Time Cop, if that's possible). I think if me a Burns were in the same room the world might cease to exist.

As a miserable bastard myself, I love Burns XD

He's like if Derrick managed to get on Youtube ;)

Dr Dogg

As a miserable bastard myself, I love Burns XD

He's like if Derrick managed to get on Youtube ;)

I think VideoGamer are a misunderstood bunch (even on GAF). Like they'll have some content which has a quirky sense of Britishness about it that goes over most folks heads but then have a review which is scathing (whilst being honest and not really forced anger) and folks will think that's the piss take. Burns' twitter is always a laugh to see the responses he gets when he put a review up. Fair play to them though as they came from humble beginnings to a site now that gets quite a lot of traffic.

Pretty ingenious.
Rinさとり;197946505 said:
I like that art style <3

Also hey. my first SteamGAF post~~
It looks good. Not sure if JRPG is my thing though.
Also, welcome.
So I was in the process of cleaning up my mess of a desktop and started to wonder 'why on earth do I have this installed?' a number of times when finding shortcuts here and there. So then for the enjoyment/boredom of you all here's my gaming/Steam related list (Steam is in the Taskbar before you ask).

From Right to Left
  • Discord - Voice and text chat
  • Mumble - Voice chat (Skype is on my desktop also but over with the 'normie' shortcuts)
  • FM Genie Scout 15 - To find the wonderkids and easy editing in FM15
  • Cheat Engine - More uses that you can shake a stick at
  • GFWL Marketplace - To never forget the past actions of Microsoft (Also because I've got Gears installed)
  • Game Save Manager - To manage my saved games (Linked to my Dropbox account also)
  • Origin - For Origin stuff
  • Epic Games Launcher - For UE4 nonsense, UT Alpha and Shadow Complex
  • Uplay - Because it's the best client
  • Battle.net - Blizzard stuff
  • Diablo III & Hearthstone - Shortcut without client so works with Steam Controller
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue - Actually a shortcut that is part of a script to check when a preload is active (Rogue being the first game I did it for and the icon has stuck whilst the target line I chage)
  • FIFA 15, Battlefront, XCOM 2 & Far Cry 4 - No idea why

From Right to Left
  • Valley & Heaven - GPU Benches for OC stability testing
  • CINEBENCH - Comparative system benching
  • OCCT - For 6 monthly CPU OC Stability torture testing
  • CPU-Z - CPU info
  • HWMonitor - System and temp monitoring (Real temp is preferable but that's burried in my downloads folder)
  • GPU-Z - GPU info and validation (handy with BIOS tweaks)
  • Inspector - Nvidia driver manipulation
  • Afterburner - Monitoring and screenies
  • FRAPS - Monitoring, screenies and benching
  • FRAFS Bench Viewer - Easy peasy FRAP bench viewer
  • EVGA Precission - Because I haven't unistalled it
  • GeDoSaTo - Downsampling to the nth degree and other goodies
  • GFE - ShadowPlay (don't really use it for much else these days)
  • gDEBugger, AMD Perf Studio, RenderDoc & PIX - Seeing what makes a game tick
  • Borderless Gaming - Does what it says on the tin
  • SRWE - Borderless windows support again but much more in depth and used for hot sampling when available

And that's a culled list of shortcuts. Still considering these were all my choice it could be quite interesting to see what you folks have on your desktops and why you chose to make or keep a shortcut of them. I imagine some wildly different setups from just recycle bins to full on milamber's.
Bookmarked for programs.

AHA-Lambda

I think VideoGamer are a misunderstood bunch (even on GAF). Like they'll have some content which has a quirky sense of Britishness about it that goes over most folks heads but then have a review which is scathing (whilst being honest and not really forced anger) and folks will think that's the piss take. Burns' twitter is always a laugh to see the responses he gets when he put a review up. Fair play to them though as they came from humble beginnings to a site now that gets quite a lot of traffic.

Completely agreed, their Right to Reply vids show this quite well actually, when a lot of people can't tell something is clearly a joke, like the vid I linked.

It's impressive to see where they've come now, especially when many were willing to right them off after Matt Lees left.

Anyway, back to my original question people, where is cheapest for The Division? :p

Tizoc

The one on the steam store page.

Then it's the one I described so I gotta ask:
Where did you get the Bastion impression from :V
You know what's another series that shares Bastion's isometric-like/overhead view gameplay?
Ys
Wanna know the color of Adol's hair?
Red

JarrodL

How's the story and single-player in the Division? Is it worth checking out if I have no interest in co-op or pvp multiplayer?

I'm getting strong Destiny vibes from it so far, and Destiny is really not my type of game.

Jawmuncher

How's the story and single-player in the Division? Is it worth checking out if I have no interest in co-op or pvp multiplayer?

I'm getting strong Destiny vibes from it so far, and Destiny is really not my type of game.

That's basically what it is. Story content seems to be a bit better. But if you have no interest on Coop or PVP I'd just hold off. Though it's easy enough to get a Uplay key for 30 or less so maybe that much alone would be worth trying it.

Pachimari

Probably gonna sell my PlayStation 4 collection today. Will be the first time I go strictly PC gaming, without owning any of the current gen consoles (do have a N3DS though). Should be interesting. Will both save me money, and let me go through my backlog.

AHA-Lambda

That's basically what it is. Story content seems to be a bit better. But if you have no interest on Coop or PVP I'd just hold off. Though it's easy enough to get a Uplay key for 30 or less so maybe that much alone would be worth trying it.

Where? :p
I'm willing to try it out for solo play at $30

BST is trending to $40 and there's more requests than sellers =/

giphy.gif

It's 2016, how long has it been like this now? 5 years?
And really Origin isn't bad, it's just something you've had to get used to by now like UPlay or Battle.net.

Probably gonna sell my PlayStation 4 collection today. Will be the first time I go strictly PC gaming, without owning any of the current gen consoles (do have a N3DS though). Should be interesting. Will both save me money, and let me go through my backlog.

Seriously considering this myself after UC4, cos I just never use it.

But then again I know as soon as I do Bloodborne 2 or something will get announced knowing my luck >_>

Jawmuncher

Surprised you had anything left. Awhile back didn't you sell off most of your collection? I could never do that.

Where? :p
I'm willing to try it out for solo play at $30

BST is trending to $40 and there's more requests than sellers =/

giphy.gif

It's 2016, how long has it been like this now? 5 years?
And really Origin isn't bad, it's just something you've had to get used to by now like UPlay or Battle.net.

Seriously considering this myself after UC4, cos I just never use it.

But then again I know as soon as I do Bloodborne 2 or something will get announced knowing my luck >_>

I guess the nuveem deal is the best one ATM then.

Anno

The idiot gadget-buying side of my brain is trying to justify a console purchase of any kind and just can't yet :/ If the WiiU comes down a bit in the near future that may get it there.

I second this. Hold out.

I've been playing the missions exclusively on hard mode and underleveled, for some reason, one solo and a few co-op, and hard mode is definitely balanced around the assumption that you'll be doing it co-op. It's possible to solo, for sure, but there are points that are just a pain in the ass more than anything else.

For example, there will be a bottleneck area, typically in a no respawn zone, where they throw a few waves of guys at you. In each wave, 3 or 4 will rush you with melee or uzis. A few will be standard mid-range, and there will be a sniper built around 1-shot downing you while you try to avoid the others. In co-op, this is tense and rewards positioning and teamwork. In solo, this turns into retry after retry until you can find an area where you can trick the AI into doing dumb enough things for you to burn them down.

There's matchmaking, so the co-op is fruitful even if you don't have a dedicated buddy.

Then it's the one I described so I gotta ask:
Where did you get the Bastion impression from :V
You know what's another series that shares Bastion's isometric-like/overhead view gameplay?
Ys
Wanna know the color of Adol's hair?
Red

I hadn't watched the trailer yet when I said it reminded me of Bastion, I had only seen the screenshots, but seeing it in movement looks much nicer than Bastion and vastly different.

Parsnip

That 3D NES emu is pretty nuts.

Talking about Bastion, it's really time for Supergiant to announce a new game. This E3 maybe in one of the big console pubs indiereels?

Yeah, this seems likely.

Still haven't finished Transistor, just didn't grab me.

Xanathus

here, have a poop

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Magicka 2 -- MB-DA80BB74F3F981CC - Taken by Ludens

Pachimari

Surprised you had anything left. Awhile back didn't you sell off most of your collection? I could never do that.

I sold my whole collection yes.

I have noticed I am no longer as hype about games as I used to be, and have discovered a new passion of mine - photography and photo editing - that I could see myself sticking to PC (where I already have +1000 games) and in the same time save money from not buying expensive console games.

But then again, I'm looking forward to Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV and Tekken 7, and all of those are console-exclusive so far.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Slaughtering Grounds -- MB-B131972659AA4EBF - Taken by BorntoPlay

Another classic of PC gaming.

Knurek

Someone just tweeted @SpikeChunsoft_e that due to low Steam sales of DR1 they should just stick to VITA.

Dxl95f9.png

22k sales at $24 minus Valve's cut equals 370k$ gross. This is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom