• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Man I'm gonna move my desktop once again. It's right at the window and that sun is shining in on the monitors all the time, and I don't want to let the sun out - it's nice to have it shining into the apartment. Might move it further away, to the other side of my apartment, but all of those wires... argh.

Tizoc

Someone just tweeted @SpikeChunsoft_e that due to low Steam sales of DR1 they should just stick to VITA.

Dxl95f9.png

22k sales at $24 minus Valve's cut equals 370k$ gross. This is bad?

Blame all the basement dwelling virgins who bought Nekopara Vol. 2 instead :V

nothing should be permanently tied to a piece of hardware but especially the Vita. I love my little guy, I've played through Broken Age, Grim Fandango, and currently plowing through Stealth Inc 2 on it in just the last few months so mine isn't collecting dust but I'd much rather have stuff like Dangerropey out on other platforms just so the series doesn't die along with the platform.

I feel the same about the Zero Escape games being locked down to portable machines at a time when visual novels are poppin' off on PC. They've already produced higher res art for 999 on iOS so all they need to do is bolt the puzzle stuff from the DS version onto that and boom, bring it to PC

What is political incorret about that? :p

Ive not tried the game yet, but Im very skeptical to the game for what Ive seen of it.

The term is horribly offensive to cognitive, developmentally and/or intellectually disabled people.

It's a slur shitty people use when they think they can with a "you and I aren't like them" kind of chumminess because it's an easy target they can line up while keeping the quick-dodge of claiming "I didn't mean it like that" and "I would never use it to one those people" and that "you are all just too thin-skinned."

But please use it as the blurb for your review.

Blame all the basement dwelling virgins who bought Nekopara Vol. 2 instead :V
Don't forget the wannabe stockbrokers who would buy gems, make booster packs and sell contents of said boosters. Their disruption lead to gem prices going up by 15%. The Nekopara market has crashed now (I saw crashed but I mean it in relative terms, they are still pricey cards) and gem prices are slowly recovering.

Glad RPS is calling EA out on their dumb decisions. I wish more sites would do that. EA needs to shut down Origin and release their games on Steam. Instead of sending games out to die just hold that L and let Steam revive your brand on PC.

it seems really immature and completely unnecessary for them to take a jab at Origin when reviewing an EA game.

If i wanted a review on a platform i would seek that out. What i want is a review of the game and how it performs on the PC. Take your platform bashing off to another article if that's something you're itching to do, it has no place in a review unless the platform itself is causing noticeable harm to how the game functions so much so that not mentioning the actual tangible (not hypothetical) harm being done needs to be addressed

MUnited83

For you.
Don't forget the wannabe stockbrokers who would buy gems, make booster packs and sell contents of said boosters. Their disruption lead to gem prices going up by 15%. The Nekopara market has crashed now (I saw crashed but I mean it in relative terms, they are still pricey cards) and gem prices are slowly recovering.
It was good while it lasted. Got 35$ of profit in nekopara cards, emoticons and backgrounds lol

Hektor

I did that with undertale cards, earned me roughly 15$ over two or three weeks. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Glad RPS is calling EA out on their dumb decisions. I wish more sites would do that. EA needs to shut down Origin and release their games on Steam. Instead of sending games out to die just hold that L and let Steam revive your brand on PC.

I read the article and I'm missing where they take a jab at Origin.

They did certainly criticize EA (rightly) for a late and expensive PC port.

it seems really immature and completely unnecessary for them to take a jab at Origin when reviewing an EA game.

If i wanted a review on a platform i would seek that out. What i want is a review of the game and how it performs on the PC. Take your platform bashing off to another article if that's something you're itching to do, it has no place in a review unless the platform itself is causing noticeable harm to how the game functions so much so that not mentioning the actual tangible (not hypothetical) harm being done needs to be addressed

The article is a First Impressions.

If a reviewer wants to talk about the platform, because it ties into their main point about the game, then they absolutely should. It's contextual and can build an argument.

If the argument is "EA doesn't get PC games," Origin is a good talking point in support of other points of evidence.

Someone just tweeted @SpikeChunsoft_e that due to low Steam sales of DR1 they should just stick to VITA.

Dxl95f9.png

If these are low sales, Spike Chunsoft shouldn't even be on Vita. 22 to 28k of sales, on digital made them good money you can bet.
It took 1 year and 6 months for 2 DR games to reach 200k. That is, with physical copies included, which produce less revenue at similar price.

Some people are just mad, and it was funny to see some people calling on boycott of DRV3 because of that port :")

fantomena

The term is horribly offensive to cognitive, developmentally and/or intellectually disabled people.

It's a slur shitty people use when they think they can with a "you and I aren't like them" kind of chumminess because it's an easy target they can line up while keeping the quick-dodge of claiming "I didn't mean it like that" and "I would never use it to one those people" and that "you are all just too thin-skinned."

offended.jpg

I read the article and I'm missing where they take a jab at Origin.

They did certainly criticize EA (rightly) for a late and expensive PC port.

The article is a First Impressions.

If a reviewer wants to talk about the platform, because it ties into their main point about the game, then they absolutely should. It's contextual and can build an argument.

If the argument is "EA doesn't get PC games," Origin is a good talking point in support of other points of evidence.

I'd argue that Origin is the most competent platform not named steam out on the market right now and actually does some things better, like customer service for example.

saying UGH EA PUT YOUR GAMES ON STEAM IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY is just plainly childish. Is it dumb to release a game a few months after the console release? Maybe, but that hasn't stopped other games from selling well on PC even years after their console releases. This Need for Speed game isn't going to light the world on fire but I'd rather have the option to pick it up on PC than not have it at all.

I'm not coming to impressions/reviews for how someone thinks EA should handle their business, though. Again, leave that type of editorializing for another article if you must.

MUnited83

For you.
Releasing so close to Hitman didn't do them any favors. Death To Spies worked because they were filling that social sandbox stealth gap, since the games released after Blood Money

Now with the originator back on the scene, the allure of Death To Spies isn't there anymore
I guess they wanted to feed off the HITMAN hype, but that was a terrible bet considering the state of their game. At the indiegala's price if it wasn't a mistake I could see it working, but at almost 40€ I struggle to see see why anyone would pick it instead of HITMAN.
That said, I'm going to play it. I can't get enough of Hitman-like gameplay and I enjoyed the previous Death to Spies games.

Question about xbox one controller support.

I currently play with only xbox one controller on steam as I dont have a desk. I plug my headphones into the controller and they work flawlessly.

However I am thinking of buying a "headset" for division and the like. Will the mic work if I plug the headset into the controller? Like is there only 1 auxilary cord that transmits both mic and headphones? I hope that makes sense.

Dxl95f9.png

Vita persecution is strong and some Vita fans don't want people to enjoy any of those games on other platforms, especially PC.

No this isn't everyone but, there is some crazies out there.

I see that people are saying The Division on Nuuvem wasn't region locked after all (damn you Nuuvem and your item details)

Was gonna get the Gold Edition from there but didn't want to chance it...oh well

Would that mean the Season Pass for The Division isn't region locked either? It's about $22 there (that coupon code doesn't apply to it though). Did anyone on Reddit or here get that and activate it with no issues? I could get the pass at Gamesplanet for around $32 but saving $10 more would be better.

I see that people are saying The Division on Nuuvem wasn't region locked after all (damn you Nuuvem and your item details)

Was gonna get the Gold Edition from there but didn't want to chance it...oh well

Would that mean the Season Pass for The Division isn't region locked either? It's about $22 there (that coupon code doesn't apply to it though). Did anyone on Reddit or here get that and activate it with no issues? I could get the pass at Gamesplanet for around $32 but saving $10 more would be better.

dang they lie! I would like to know as well. Ended up getting gamesplanet vanilla for 58 Canadian, as opposed to 79.99 on Steam

Politically Correct = acknowledging that language can mean different things to different people.

I'd argue that Origin is the most competent platform not named steam out on the market right now and actually does some things better, like customer service for example.

saying UGH EA PUT YOUR GAMES ON STEAM IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY is just plainly childish. Is it dumb to release a game a few months after the console release? Maybe, but that hasn't stopped other games from selling well on PC even years after their console releases. This Need for Speed game isn't going to light the world on fire but I'd rather have the option to pick it up on PC than not have it at all.

I'm not coming to impressions/reviews for how someone thinks EA should handle their business, though. Again, leave that type of editorializing for another article if you must.

A narrow perception on what a "review" or "impressions" should be is a dead end road.

What matters is if the thesis can support it. The Need For Speed impressions article's thesis is "wow this product really seems ill-thought-out for the PC market" so mentioning Origin in the final few sentences as further support of that thesis is totally valid. In this case, it's a small piece of secondary evidence, mentioned off the cuff, to make a larger allegation against the port's broader, big picture deficiencies. That's good writing. They're making a point and they're backing it up.

If it was just slandering Origin with a thesis that didn't make any sense, then I'd agree with you. But if the article is about a greater mindset or point about the game in relation to the industry, then by all means, mention whatever is important or backs up your point. That's how people write about everything. Why should video game reviews be any different?

Furthermore, just because you disagree with the evidence doesn't mean it's invalid to be used. Or, even, just because you disagree with the thesis doesn't mean the evidence isn't valid.

Every now and then I find myself listening to Chrono Cross - Scars of Time on Youtube. Orchestral renditions, metal covers or just covers.
Incredibly melodic and makes me nostalgic. But I never played the game even. Such a brilliant man, Yasunori Mitsuda.

I'm guessing by the jpg that you might be misunderstanding our exchange so far. Let's recap:

You asked why = politically incorrect. I said why = politically incorrect.

I'm not saying I = offended. I'm not even saying you need to = politically correct.

I'm saying people who use that term and other slurs adapted from pejoratives for groups of people = shitty fucking people.

But about Alekhine's Gun, I kinda hope it doesn't suck. The setting seems cool and full of potential and the blue tones of the screenshots I'm seeing are working for me.

fantomena

Ah, using slurs and then posting the "offended" quote without understand it's context. You're pretty close to a bingo right there.

I dont care if someone dont like how I wrote the post. Im not gonna stop using certain words just because some people dont like it.

Ive used "retarded littlebrother" for years and this is the first time someone commented on it.

Dont like it? Too fucking bad.

ExoSoul

Banned

Mandatory "why isn't fantomena in your ignore list yet?" post.
=P

A narrow perception on what a "review" or "impressions" should be is a dead end road.

What matters is if the thesis can support it. The Need For Speed impressions article's thesis is "wow this product really seems ill-thought-out for the PC market" so mentioning Origin in the final few sentences as further support of that thesis is totally valid. In this case, it's a small piece of secondary evidence, mentioned off the cuff, to make a larger allegation against the port's broader, big picture deficiencies. That's good writing. They're making a point and they're backing it up.

If it was just slandering Origin with a thesis that didn't make any sense, then I'd agree with you. But if the article is about a greater mindset or point about the game in relation to the industry, then by all means, mention whatever is important or backs up your point. That's how people write about everything. Why should video game reviews be any different?

Furthermore, just because you disagree with the evidence doesn't mean it's invalid to be used. Or, even, just because you disagree with the thesis doesn't mean the evidence isn't valid.

okay, how about this:

I come to impressions of a game for impressions of a game.

when i want impressions on a platform, i'll look for an article on impressions of a platform

because if they're going to rip EA for its dumb business decisions and for Origin as a platform then they should rip Uplay games for their issues, Win10 games for their issues, and yes, Steam games for their platform's issues, too. And just about anyone else who is releasing a game on PC later than the console version should get an equal amount of criticism as well, like Square Enix with Rise of the TR or Ubisoft with their major releases.

Otherwise, leave that shit elsewhere because anyone interested in Need for Speed on the PC isn't hemming and hawing about Origin anymore, it's been 5 years already let's all move on from that type of platform warrior mentality already.

I'll just leave it at that because it's not like RPS is deserving of my attention all that much anymore anyhow.

Dr Dogg

Question about xbox one controller support.

I currently play with only xbox one controller on steam as I dont have a desk. I plug my headphones into the controller and they work flawlessly.

However I am thinking of buying a "headset" for division and the like. Will the mic work if I plug the headset into the controller? Like is there only 1 auxilary cord that transmits both mic and headphones? I hope that makes sense.

Yeah worked with everything I've tested. You can get a 4 pole 3.5mm Y adapter like this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SP0WAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And then you can use any set of headphone and and mic you want.

If you're buying a straight up headset then I think it's wired to CTIA standard so most headsets with 4 pole 3.5mm jacks will work. Kingston Hyper Cloud X I or II's work for example no fuss but just check on the connection type.

fantomena

I'm guessing by the jpg that you might be misunderstanding our exchange so far. Let's recap:

You asked why = politically incorrect. I said why = politically incorrect.

I'm not saying I = offended. I'm not even saying you need to = politically correct.

I'm saying people who use that term and other slurs adapted from pejoratives for groups of people = shitty fucking people.

But about Alekhine's Gun, I kinda hope it doesn't suck. The setting seems cool and full of potential and the blue tones of the screenshots I'm seeing are working for me.

Okay, now I understand better.

rusteepot

So guys, new around these parts: Is the verdict in for buying Grey Goo at 12? Yay or nay?

Was initially planning only to fork out for BTA level.

gabbo

You know very well if there is a PC OT or any other thread for this game, it being Origin-only will annoy a large segment of GAF to no end, so while it's not a huge thing overall, it's worth at least noting.

The rest of his impressions give a pretty good breakdown of the game. For that price, I don't think I'll be picking it up, even if Walker was slobbering all over it with praise. NFS hasn't been worth it since Porche Unleashed//High Stakes, though this does sound like the story might be fun

Dr Dogg

While I'm sure there are some who want their XCOM 2 to look more Borderlandsy, personally I've put it to one side until some of the performance kinks are worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom