• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Wow, 40 bucks season pass for The Division is the 6th top selling item on Steam right now. Pretty disgusting and fascinating at the same team, Ubi marketing did everything right eh

zkylon

zkylewd
I put more than enough hours into it, but I'm not sure how to tell if it fits into "the kind of game you'd like" without more details on "the kind of game you like" that isn't League.
really? i thought by now you'd have an idea of what kind of games i like

tho tbh i'm not a 100% thing that i'll like x game and all games like it

i do almost always enjoy games better if they have a good story and characters which i think is not dragon's dogma's strong suit so idk

Where is it USD 20?

playfield according to isthereanydeal

idk if that site's legit or not, i planned to find out when i get back home

I've heard you can get a horse to help with the walk speed eventually
i've heard the idea is that you should mod the speed up a bit right from the start

Amzin

Am I the only one who didn't mind the lack of backtracking in Ori?
I mean OK, maybe Cheevo addicts were peeved by it, but really just about every game similar to Ori's genre has backtracking, and in Ori those missables never bothered me since I was still able to progress just fine.

To me it was the inconsistency that bugged me. It's clearly presented as a normal Metroidvania where you come across tons of stuff that you have to come backtrack to later, except for those certain areas (and cutoffs) where you can't do that. So, on one hand, you're encouraged to backtrack, on the other, you're outright prevented from doing it. It's misleading, at best.

That unofficial "fix" that someone made was enough for me to finish what I wanted with the game, at least.

Tizoc

i do almost always enjoy games better if they have a good story and characters which i think is not dragon's dogma's strong suit so idk

playfield according to isthereanydeal

idk if that site's legit or not, i planned to find out when i get back home

i've heard the idea is that you should mod the speed up a bit right from the start

Their site is legit actually.

In SDV you unlock shortcuts and can get a horse after a while, which will speed things up considerably.

Personally, beyond autorunning, I wouldn't mess with the base speed. The timeframe available in each day has has a careful balance, giving players enough time to do most stuff, but not everything. It comes together beautifully, giving some weight to decisions and necessitating a certain amount of planning to get through the week optimally.

Dragon's Dogma has an absolutely terrible story, worthwhile only because of Ser Mercedes.

It really is a fun ride, though. They get a lot of the gameplay and difficulty curve right on, at least pre-expansion. There's a serious sense of mystery, discovery, and peril present throughout the campaign and its quite unlike anything else.

Credit to Lashman for doing it first and then giving me the clue:

I went here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ome_spotlight_3_xbox-live-gift-cards-13022016

You can login with your normal Xbox Live account. For GoW you only need the 1000p Live Credits. But because it's a new region you have to put payment information for that region. You have to put in a Russian address. Any will do, it's not going to matter because as soon as you try to process the payment it will fail.

Now for me, I used my Amex CC. I got an automated fraud detection alert (literally the second I hit "accept") and I told them I recognized the transaction as it was done by me. They said okay and try to process the sale again.

When I did, it went through. After it goes through they give you a 25 digit code. Then you need to go to https://account.xbox.com/en-US/PaymentAndBilling/RedeemCode and on the left side, click change region. Then look for R and click the only region in the R category.

Redeem the 25 digit code. Then you need to change your Windows OS region to Russia and then go to the Windows Store on Win 10. And then you can buy GoW.

Correct. I forgot to mention that. Once you are done buying the game, just switch all of your region stuff back to your correct region and you are good to go.

Jokes on MS! I still got 1000 Xbox Live Rubles ready to go at a moments notice!

good to know. I have zero interest in doing this as i have gears on the XB1 but I can see myself trying this for Quantum Break in the case that people selling their keys end up being a bit too greedy with their prices. thanks!

Grief.exe

Is Steam GAF going STR or DEX in Souls 3?

I generally make a strength character and carry around a huge stick.

In Dark Souls 1, there was this huge wooden club you could get off the big slobs in Blight town, it actually was one of the highest damage weapons in the game due to nice strength scaling and had a perfect sweep that would catch people rolling in PVP. In Dark Souls II I had a sweet giant anvil.

Tizoc

Take your pick
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

NaissanceE -- MB-22FD42AB8F93A007 - Taken by KainXVIII
Chip -- MB-6395155569C91E87 - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Loot Hero DX -- MB-C4094924DDA4451B - Taken by ussjtrunks
Tap Heroes -- MB-165BA49DF29224E6 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Demon Hearts -- MB-EC950E45EA49CF3A - Taken by Henry Swanson
Magdalena -- MB-8EBE9497D3E4C276 - Taken by Chairmanchuck

In Dark Souls 1, there was this huge wooden club you could get off the big slobs in Blight town, it actually was one of the highest damage weapons in the game due to nice strength scaling and had a perfect sweep that would catch people rolling in PVP. In Dark Souls II I had a sweet giant anvil.

Dual wield, so DEX.

the $5 upgrade fee seems fair if it wasn't what i already paid for the whole game back when it price glitched.

Now im wondering if it's worth the upgrade fee. Let me go read about the differences.

i still need to play DSII so the only thing i can say is that i hope my fucking badass zweihandler from dark souls 1 still is the best fucking thing in future souls games. I went full on tank with fat rolls and a zweihandler and nothing fucked with me

Yeah, exactly. I know games you like... but I don't know that there's enough of a correlation between the ones I remember to draw a conclusion about DD:DA for you.

If you like MMOs and action combat (done by DMC team), you might like it. But it definitely doesn't...

i like games with "player written stories" like mount & blade or sunless sea or x-com a lot too

Have a player written story. And the characters are just kind of there. I didn't care about the story much, but for some reason the quest structure and combat kept me going... even if I found the combat to be a bit shallow for my liking, there was just something about it that hooked me.

That unofficial "fix" that someone made was enough for me to finish what I wanted with the game, at least.

What's this "fix"?
I'd love to be able to use my save game to go finish out the 100% map and 100% collectibles achievements I missed...

Lain

Adventures of Pip on Steam = 3,74€
Bundle with it and 6 other games I don't have = 3,35€
Glad I didn't grab it on Steam from the weeklongs now, though I gotta wonder why the back to back dick moves from indiegala.

zkylon

zkylewd

i generally like going rapier builds on my first run cos it lets me wear a lot of armor without dumping points and points into whatever carry weight stat there is, so yeah, almost certainly my first run is gonna be dex

on my second run i'm usually naked+two handed giant str club or whatever (like i used the anvil thing in dks2 for most of the game and zwei on dks1)

i like both styles a lot tho, but i find not using shields is better left for the experienced runs heh

and no, never fat rolling ever ever ever

Tizoc

Adventures of Pip on Steam = 3,74€
Bundle with it and 6 other games I don't have = 3,35€
Glad I didn't grab it on Steam from the weeklongs now, though I gotta wonder why the back to back dick moves from indiegala.

Nowadays it is best to wait til Saturday, barring a price error, to get anything is on sale.

Parsnip

For the first time through I'm expecting to go with Claymore and anything else that has the same moveset. Claymore scales with both dex and str, but I usually also need high str for shields and good dex for bows, so I'm going to need both again. Well, assuming that part stays close to how it was in the past.
In 2 the Drangleic Sword was A on dex and that ended up being my main weapon for most of the game.

yuraya

Always do Strength on all my first playthroughs. Usually do Int/Faith on my second. I rarely put points in DEX unless its absolutely needed for some cool weapon.

I typically go with a DEX build. Roll everywhere all the time.

But I tried making a traditional mace and shield paladin for Souls 2 and had a good time. This was before Faith took that huge nerf, but I already knew the lightning spears were too powerful, so I tried sticking to classic tropes of buff and heals, with my only offense being the physical damage.

I haven't decided what I want to do with this one. I saw a screenshot of an awesome looking thief-esque outfit, so that's a big draw. But magic seems like it's making a big comeback in this one, so maybe I'll go for a caster type.

i like games with "player written stories" like mount & blade or sunless sea or x-com a lot too
It's not open-ended or anything truly sandboxy. There's a vague collection of activities that culminates in fighting the final boss and then you move into the DLC content which apparently has more story but I haven't found it yet (having not completed any significant xpac stuff).

Basically, DDDA has a great world, but terrible storytelling; probably the best way to put it. Apparently their original vision for the game was much more elaborate (and interesting, imo) but it didn't make the cut... and with this in mind the dynamic event at the end makes a whole lot more sense.

I went Dex in DS2 and will never go back.

I only play Fashion Souls now...
30411FD30B3AEA6C673C5112A6A391CEE04B500D
The Manslayer is my bro.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
So when is the new market holding periode going into force?

For me nothing has changed yet.

I had to confirm one card listing that was over 1€, all the other cards for a few cents did not trigger anything

so not a big difference for me till now *shrug*

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not open-ended or anything truly sandboxy. There's a vague collection of activities that culminates in fighting the final boss and then you move into the DLC content which apparently has more story but I haven't found it yet (having not completed any significant xpac stuff).

Basically, DDDA has a great world, but terrible storytelling; probably the best way to put it. Apparently their original vision for the game was much more elaborate (and interesting, imo) but it didn't make the cut... and with this in mind the dynamic event at the end makes a whole lot more sense.

yeah, i might wait a little longer. kinda wish there was a game i could relate it to in structure, i kind of like the idea of it being sort of like a fantasy stalker game but i feel like that's not it either

i just don't want another xenoblade

yeah, i might wait a little longer. kinda wish there was a game i could relate it to in structure, i kind of like the idea of it being sort of like a fantasy stalker game but i feel like that's not it either

i just don't want another xenoblade

Xenoblade Chronicles X has a more meaningful story than DA's non-xpac campaign. By a long shot.

It also has mechs, though, which makes the comparison a little unfair. Mechs make everything better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MS does require a Russian address in the webstore. That doesn't change. They are banking on the CC declining the transaction, but if you authorize it even though it has a bogus billing addy and your CC company is cool with that, what can MS do?

Checkout systems can cross-reference the given billing information against that registered to the card. This is apparently what MS changed with the WinStore. Another example is Amazon and the various Take-Two games with "Steam key only valid in North America" in their description -- they cannot be purchased with an AU credit/debit card whereas all other digital games can be bought without issue.

zkylon

zkylewd
Xenoblade Chronicles X has a more meaningful story than DA's non-xpac campaign. By a long shot.

It also has mechs, though, which makes the comparison a little unfair. Mechs make everything better.

well i only played the wii game

i didn't care much for that game

well i only played the wii game

i didn't care much for that game

Then DDDA will be completely unsatisfying. XBCX has even less story than the previous game and it's still more meaningful than anything I've seen in DDDA.

XBCX at least tries to do stuff with its world and characters, whereas DDDA just feels... sparse and lifeless, as though everyone's a pawn (aka mindless doll).

Blu(e)

Two new stylish twin-stick shooters revealed with trailers and screenshots.

Furi

Beacon

Both of these look really good but Furi totally does it for me. Afro Samurai feel is pretty good. They mention it's a "frenzied bossfight" game but I hope they have regular levels as well and not straight up bosses only.

Hektor

I'll go with a strength glass cannon kind of built first and will do a dex maybe dual wield kind of build in later playthroughs. That's how i played all the other souls games too.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah if it's gonna be like xenoblade in that it's an empty world of fetch quests and filler justification then yeah that's not really something i'm interested in

Messiah

have they said if the season pass is the only content they're working on post-launch or will they possibly do another Enemy Within?

Because they might be holding stuff for a large expansion pack
I would think at least one big expansion is a given with how well the game did sales wise and Firaxis' usual MO.

Volimar

have they said if the season pass is the only content they're working on post-launch or will they possibly do another Enemy Within?

Because they might be holding stuff for a large expansion pack

If it's not included in the season pass I'll be pissed. I know they're working on a DLC with a new character type, but I don't know if it will be as beefy as Enemy Within or not.

Top-of-page reminder that Stardew Valley is the bee's knees.
Disappointed in that XCOM 2 DLC. Want more actual content.

I was expecting like 10-20 items, but seeing as it includes 100 I refuse to completely regret buying into the season pass.

It's kinda cute that they put info about a patch in there, as if they know how people will react to this news.
yeah if it's gonna be like xenoblade in that it's an empty world of fetch quests and filler justification then yeah that's not really something i'm interested in

I should've thrown a comparison to Dark Souls in there since the gameplay really is king, over everything else. The thing that makes it work, while also holding it back, is how the levelling works (leading to godhood or complete helplessness, depending on your level/equipment.)

Anno

Disappointed in that XCOM 2 DLC. Want more actual content.

They laid it out prior to the game even launching right? The second and third DLCs will have content and maybe even more customizations. Hopefully they look for a full expansion afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom