• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
all i want from xcom 2 is for xcom 2 to run properly

also an official modding guide that actually has like all the steps so i don't have to read off poorly written guides on reddit how to do this stuff

i'm so close, damn it

I should've thrown a comparison to Dark Souls in there since the gameplay really is king, over everything else. The thing that makes it work, while also holding it back, is how the levelling works (leading to godhood or complete helplessness, depending on your level/equipment.)
i've heard a lot of ppl say that regarding to dark souls, but i don't agree

there's no "king" in dark souls, dark souls is a hollistically rewarding game. if you're in it for difficult combat and exploration it's got you covered, if you want to dig into rich and mysterious lore you got it too, if you want to get immersed in a wonderfully designed and creative universe there's that too, it's great about everything

so like, i don't appreciate dark souls "for the gameplay", i appreciate how it weaves all those elements together into something beautiful and cohesive and inspiring.

i'll probably give dragon's dogma a try, but not at this price

zkylon

zkylewd
i gave up a few weeks ago but there weren't any good modding guides for what i wanted to do at the time anywhere

i'm not a very smart person but i know how to code and stuff so i shouldn't have much problem following a step by step guide. it's just that all guides skip steps or are poorly translated or whatever

firaxis' guide is the worst tho, it literally goes "we'll get to this in the following pages" and then it ends lol

Dr Dogg

Well The Division looks purdy. HTFS shadows are a rather big hit in some scenes so a tad impractical for gameplay purposes unless I turn some other dodads down but do make things look even purdier. Guess I'll file them under 'use for screenies' settings.

Knurek

I won the game in a modbot giveaway earlier today, turns out I already have it. First person to post a MS Paint picture with a gruesome hidden object gets the key.
Before anyone jumps on me, I've asked the original Modbot giver if he'd want the key back

Phawx

Checkout systems can cross-reference the given billing information against that registered to the card. This is apparently what MS changed with the WinStore. Another example is Amazon and the various Take-Two games with "Steam key only valid in North America" in their description -- they cannot be purchased with an AU credit/debit card whereas all other digital games can be bought without issue.

You are a wealth of information.

FloatOn

Is Steam GAF going STR or DEX in Souls 3?

I generally make a strength character and carry around a huge stick.

In Dark Souls 1, there was this huge wooden club you could get off the big slobs in Blight town, it actually was one of the highest damage weapons in the game due to nice strength scaling and had a perfect sweep that would catch people rolling in PVP. In Dark Souls II I had a sweet giant anvil.

I went quality build in dark souls 1

I did magic in dark souls 2

It would be fun to go dex for dark souls 3 but with the battle arts who can say?

also, your avatar is gross you should change it

AHA-Lambda

4404258+_7fb8735ce2cbb7f557e52783be8f236f.gif

kagamin

Is Steam GAF going STR or DEX in Souls 3?

I generally make a strength character and carry around a huge stick.

In Dark Souls 1, there was this huge wooden club you could get off the big slobs in Blight town, it actually was one of the highest damage weapons in the game due to nice strength scaling and had a perfect sweep that would catch people rolling in PVP. In Dark Souls II I had a sweet giant anvil.

I usually go quality, but I'm not opposed to any type of melee build (even though my favorite Dark Souls 2 build was hitting enemies with a lightning infused disc chime and high faith :p), I kinda wanna see how viable a bow build will be though.

We realized that playing with yourself is way easier than playing with someone else. Especially when it comes to tennis. So we made #SelfieTennis. Yes, that's right. You play with.....or against yourself. We suggest that you are nice to yourself and play soft balls, but slamming is totally OK too.
uhhh okay...

Oh, new store page!

Super Max finally has a game to play on Steam, huzzah!
giphy.gif

i've heard a lot of ppl say that regarding to dark souls, but i don't agree

there's no "king" in dark souls, dark souls is a hollistically rewarding game. if you're in it for difficult combat and exploration it's got you covered, if you want to dig into rich and mysterious lore you got it too, if you want to get immersed in a wonderfully designed and creative universe there's that too, it's great about everything

so like, i don't appreciate dark souls "for the gameplay", i appreciate how it weaves all those elements together into something beautiful and cohesive and inspiring.

i'll probably give dragon's dogma a try, but not at this price

Alright, that's a good point. I guess 'gameflow' would be a better term, encompassing every aspect of the games, from level design, to gameplay, to aesthetic, etc. Especially since the level design is why I love those games.

However, if I do that then I can't compare DDDA to Dark Souls, because the former's level design is pretty irrelevant most of the time.
I had no idea that "quality build" was a term for specific types of builds in Dark Souls.

Oh wow. TIL.

Dr Dogg

If you're toiling away over the minutiae of stats and min maxing the first time through a Souls game you haven't played yet then you've probably going to overlook lots of things about the game. Just play it, have fun and find weapon types or spells that suit your playstyle first. Maybe dick around enough to get a grasp on what you like and don't like and either knock out a playthorugh or start again with a goal in mind. But planing a build before even knowing the games systems and weapons/spells/items? Seems a trifle odd to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
lewd.gif.
well it's my favorite thing ;_;

then there are plenty of vita games that should appeal to your tastes
gross

In the first the steal mechanic put your hand out as if you were grabbing someone's arse right up until the moment the prompt completed.
yeah that's why it's called the ass creed

Alright, that's a good point. I guess 'gameflow' would be a better term, encompassing every aspect of the games, from level design, to gameplay, to aesthetic, etc. Especially since the level design is why I love those games.

However, if I do that then I can't compare DDDA to Dark Souls, because the former's level design is pretty irrelevant most of the time.
i think you can say there's some similarities in the combat and the difficulty scaling or whatever, or that you felt it was "souls-like" for sure, it's just that i hate how ppl downplay the "rest" of dark souls when it's all so fucking good

but yeah, i feel like i have an idea of what the game is and i think i could probably even like it

but i'm sure it'll hit 15 at some point and i'm in no hurry to buy it right this minute, so i'll wait

zkylon

zkylewd
If you're toiling away over the minutiae of stats and min maxing the first time through a Souls game you haven't played yet then you've probably going to overlook lots of things about the game. Just play it, have fun and find weapon types or spells that suit your playstyle first. Maybe dick around enough to get a grasp on what you like and don't like and either knock out a playthorugh or start again with a goal in mind. But planing a build before even knowing the games systems and weapons/spells/items? Seems a trifle odd to me.
i don't think i've ever min maxed anything in dark souls

i know it matters but i feel like the most important aspect is how fun it is to swing the thing you're holding

rtcn63

Do look up useless stats in DarksBourne. Especially in the games that don't let you respec.

Quality is strength = dex, right? Up until the softcap or whatever.

Nzyme32

Pretty much what I am doing. I have no idea what I am doing, but slowly progressing - probably not in the "right" ways though

Phawx

Yo guys! I am going to be putting up a vid later but ASTROKILL is legit! It is one fine ass space combat game. Hard as hell right now, but damn are there some close calls! The audio is excellent as well. It's got that monotonous female voice issues out warnings. Really clinches that imminent danger feeling. "Max velocity reached."

Here's me blasting and barely dodging a mid-sized ship as it's about to explode

2KBgPkO.gif

And here's me docking/refueling like a gat damn champ:

hHn9J8k.gif

yuraya

gotta cash in on a movie before the franchise implodes

Its really shocking they aren't releasing a game the same time there is a movie. You'd think they capitalize on every little opportunity for a sale while there is movie hype going around. Ubisoft decision making isn't really the brightest.

Yo guys! I am going to be putting up a vid later but ASTROKILL is legit! It is one fine ass space combat game. Hard as hell right now, but damn are there some close calls! The audio is excellent as well. It's got that monotonous female voice issues out warnings. Really clinches that imminent danger feeling. "Max velocity reached."

2KBgPkO.gif

hHn9J8k.gif

That looks amazing. Glad to see space games alive and kicking.

Top of page reminder that SUPERHOT still exists.

2KBgPkO.gif

hHn9J8k.gif
Wow, looks great. Is it an arcade/multiplayer sort of thing, or is there more of a singleplayer/campaign-focused?
Edit: Oh, it's Early Access. Nevermind.

i don't think i've ever min maxed anything in dark souls

i know it matters but i feel like the most important aspect is how fun it is to swing the thing you're holding

I've maxed INT before in DS2 after using a soul vessel when I started mucking around with the Moonlight Greatsword.

But Doggsworth is right. A lot of how I play souls depends on the map layout and enemy makeup, etc. What weapons that I like the moveset for can I get early enough to push me toward a particular build? That's what determines where I go, ultimately, if there's no respec. I tend to favor a somewhat balanced build, so I'm never using huge strength weapons or straight up dex weapons... I like to be the jack of all trades that can adapt, at least on the first playthrough when I'm trying to get 100% of everything: all spells/miracles/pyromancies/weapons/armors/etc. After that and I'm familiar with the game, should I make a new character, I usually decide to go for something I didn't use a lot the last time. Ultra greatswords instead of katanas, miracles instead of magic, etc.

2KBgPkO.gif

hHn9J8k.gif

Looks neato.

--

Enter the Gungeon up at Nuuvem. Less than $7 for the preorder. Works fine with VPN.
SteamDB shows no region locks or anything at this time and Devolver usually aren't dicks about that type of thing retroactively.

Knurek

Its really shocking they aren't releasing a game the same time there is a movie. You'd think they capitalize on every little opportunity for a sale while there is movie hype going around. Ubisoft decision making isn't really the brightest.

Didn't help Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom