• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
308LkaX.png

Come on, Steam. I know I neglected you the past month, but now you're just acting childish.

i've honestly started thinking that preloading games is not worth the time it takes to unpack them

it's so frustrating having the game downloaded but nope, gotta wait like two hours for that thing to finish -__-

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
308LkaX.png

Come on, Steam. I know I neglected you the past month, but now you're just acting childish.

The initial unpack time is almost always "screwy" as oftentimes Steam has to first update the data. You've probably noticed by now that it's dropped to something more reasonable.

An SSD definitely helps. I've never had to wait more than 10~15 minutes to unpack a current-gen game.

Phinor

ROTTR loses 15 fps on my 980 when using dx12 wtf

I hope people didn't expect miracles. Quick browse through Steam community forums and just about everyone is reporting performance loss going from DX11 to DX12, regardless of GPU. Same situation with Ashes of the Singularity although AMD's DX11 drivers were so crippled that there was in fact performance increase in some/many situations for AMD cards. Mostly performance loss for Nvidia cards though.

But really, DX11 was exactly the same when it was released even if it was completely different situation. Even if devs added no new features, just DX11 support to an existing game, fps tanked really hard. I remember Company of Heroes going from like 120+ fps to 30-40 going from DX9 to DX11. Looked exactly the same, performance was way worse.

The new DX12 patch adds a benchmark-tool comparable to the one in TR13. Sadly when going back to the DX11 version (by opting in beta branch 629_3) the ingame benchmark is not available. Hope Nixxes will add the ingame benchmark to the DX11 branch soon. Would have made for some better comparison :(

Anyhow, I did some benches with following settings. Triple Buffering, FXAA and Exclusive Fullscreen (gave an extra frame).
I did multiple tests but only changed Texture Quality between "High" (left) and "Very High" (right).
Not a huge difference in the benchmark it seems but what's not visible is that on Very High texture quality there was a whole lot more stuttering and hitching.

As mentioned, there is no benchmark to better compare the DX11 version, so I did 4 similar tests where I loaded a save and fast traveled to both the Soviet Installation and Geothermal Valley where I ran the same route. And that showed what the bench did not. The game runs better and smoother on DX11. On either texture settings.
On DX11 Geothermal Valley was an almost perfect 60 lock and in the Siberian Installation it varied between 52-60. Conversely on DX12 the Geothermal Valley stayed consistently under 55 (45-55) and in the Siberian Installation even worse, between 40-55.

It's nice to test new tech but RotTR is at this moment best advised to be played on the DX11 beta branch.
It's a bummer the only parts that give me framerate problems are the open world areas, everything else runs fine. Hope this smooths that out.
Nope. In DX12 both "open-world" areas run worse for me compared to DX11.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The new DX12 patch adds a benchmark-tool comparable to the one in TR13. Sadly when going back to the DX11 version (by opting in beta branch 629_3) the ingame benchmark is not available. Hope Nixxes will add the ingame benchmark to the DX11 branch soon. Would have made for some better comparison :(

You can disable DX12 in the launcher, I believe.

I hope people didn't expect miracles. Quick browse through Steam community forums and just about everyone is reporting performance loss going from DX11 to DX12, regardless of GPU. Same situation with Ashes of the Singularity although AMD's DX11 drivers were so crippled that there was in fact performance increase in some/many situations for AMD cards. Mostly performance loss for Nvidia cards though.

But really, DX11 was exactly the same when it was released even if it was completely different situation. Even if devs added no new features, just DX11 support to an existing game, fps tanked really hard. I remember Company of Heroes going from like 120+ fps to 30-40 going from DX9 to DX11. Looked exactly the same, performance was way worse.

You should get up to 30% better performance with dx12 ,but looks like you get down 30%
Believe it or not, I gained about 8-9 fps by switching from smaa to fxaa on dx12.

It still performs worse than dx11, which gets me 59 fps on the benchmark

zkylon

zkylewd
i didn't last long on rocket league

game's really cool and i'm glad i got to play it for a while but i'm not the right type for that game

pahamrick

Not the best impression of Hitman right now. Frequent stutters and crashes on both DX11 and DX12.

Can't even get past the first tutorial mission again because as soon as I climb to the second floor of the yacht, instant freeze and crash.

Zeeman

Ugh, FC has been this price multiple times before. If it was at %66 I'd just about have enough in my wallet to grab it.

Ugh, FC has been this price multiple times before. If it was at %66 I'd just about have enough in my wallet to grab it.

Seeing as FC and SC took a hell of a lot of time to localize, you might not see them get a heavy discount for quite a while. After all, they are trying to recoup on the labor spent.

You can disable DX12 in the launcher, I believe.
Wow, how did I not see those options. It can be disabled in both the launcher and ingame but you need to restart the game.
Either way, here the results. DX11 left, DX12 right.
Not a difference to my earlier testing. Benchmark again doesn't show how the game performs worse in DX12 with a lot of stutter, I assume frame-pacing issues.
I did the same ingame test from before as well and in DX11 the game has a 5-10 frames advantage and feels smooth.
One thing to note is that RTTS doesn't hook in the game even if DX12 is disabled. It does when on the beta branch though.

From what I read on the web, whether it is DX12 or Vulkan, it's not smart to expect devs and games taking full advantage this early in the new techs life, so I'm not disappointed rather surprised that so early on even, it works "well".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom