• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not looking like Stardew is my kind of game, a shame. Will stick with it a bit longer.
if you're still in time you should refund it

game's probably cool but i find first impressions are usually pretty final in games. there's always exceptions, i didn't like the witness at first and now i think it's really really good but still, no shame in refunding it, maybe you can buy it back later when you're in a different mood or whatever

if you're still in time you should refund it

game's probably cool but i find first impressions are usually pretty final in games. there's always exceptions, i didn't like the witness at first and now i think it's really really good but still, no shame in refunding it, maybe you can buy it back later when you're in a different mood or whatever

GOG 30 day refund bb

edit: at least, I think there'a 30 day refund. Looks like it may only cover technical issues, shit.
edit 2: damn, looks like it really only is technical issues. I may need to fudge this one.

zkylon

zkylewd
well, u can at least feel good about supporting a game that looks pretty good from an underrepresented genre

and heck, give it an honest shot since u have all the time in the world now

impact

Banned
Not looking like Stardew is my kind of game, a shame. Will stick with it a bit longer.

I had to refund it because the graphics and walking speed were taking me out of it. Really bad art style/visuals/graphics whatever you wanna call it. Sometimes I can take that shit for a 2D platformer but not with a HM type game. Harvest Moon 64 looks so much better than Stardew and it came out so damn long ago.

I had to refund it because the graphics and walking speed were taking me out of it. Really bad art style/visuals/graphics whatever you wanna call it. Sometimes I can take that shit for a 2D platformer but not with a HM type game. Harvest Moon 64 looks so much better than Stardew and it came out so damn long ago.

Joke's on me, I bought it on GOG thinking their return policy was 30 days so I could take my time trying it out as it's a slow game.

Did not like it, policy doesn't cover as much as Steam I guess. I emailed their support to see if I could refund it anyway. Guess I won't buy from GOG unless it's 75% off and guaranteed I enjoy it.

Sarcasm

One word..mods =D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

You realise its made by 1 guy

Soulflarz

Banned
You realise its made by 1 guy

Tbh I never felt like this should affect my view on a game or not, since I'm here to enjoy a game.
Sorry for Devil's Advocate in this case since I haven't played Stardew Valley because I keep burning money on other stuff :X

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im not saying the fact that its made by one person should exempt it from critique, I mean dont compare it to the game made by actual team. Maybe?

Its one thing to say "I dont like how it looks, that guy did a poor job", its another to say "I think this game looks bad compared to that other game made by a popular big developer"

Its like saying Axiom Verge looks worse than Symphony of the Night even tho Symphony came out on playstation 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright let's see how good Stardew is. Off to GOG.

It's DRM-free on Steam, too. Buying the GOG version doesn't net you anything unless you think there's good chance you'll want to refund it and Valve's policy is too restrictive.

Edit: Oh, wait, GOG's refund policy strictly applies to technical issues.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
JaseC rubbing salt in them wounds.

This post was designed, developed, and produced by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs.

PCGW said it was locked, but whatever. $15 is 15 and better an indie got it than Activision or something I guess. Lesson learned, don't bother with GOG unless I know the game is fun for me and is 75-90% off.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's fine, it's a good game I just wish it looked better. Impressive work for one guy no doubt but it's still ugly as sin. I want a game that looks like Witcher 3 but plays like Harvest Moon :)
idk, i think the game's very competent in the style it chose to go with

personally i like how it looks better than if it was on like a witcha 3 style thing but that's me

It's DRM-free on Steam, too. Buying the GOG version doesn't net you anything unless you think there's good chance you'll want to refund it and Valve's policy is too restrictive.

Edit: Oh, wait, GOG's refund policy strictly applies to technical issues.
well it's 5 bucks cheaper so that's something

Banished, Dust An Elysian Tail, Cave Story, and Papers Please (I think) were all made by 1 person dev teams.
but stardew valley looks fine?

like you may not like the artstyle but this is super competent and nice to look at

ss_4fa0866709ede3753fdf2745349b528d5e8c4054.1920x1080.jpg

Stardew Valley has a beautiful artstyle, yeah. The ambient animations alone set it apart in a huge way--it's very far from the sterile RPG maker templates that are rampant right now.
And those cat idle animations... so good.

Rhaknar

Banished, Dust An Elysian Tail, Cave Story, and Papers Please (I think) were all made by 1 person dev teams.

But Stardew Valley looks much better (in my opinion, which is of course the crutch of this whole sebate, art is subjective) than both Cave Story or Papers Please.

In fact, are you really using Papers Please as an example for good art made by one person? I mean I know I just said art is subjective, but I've never seen one say that game was a looker >_>

Jadax

But Stardew Valley looks much better (in my opinion, which is of course the crutch of this whole sebate, art is subjective) than botj Cave Story or Papers Please.

In fact, are you really using Papers Please as an example for good art made by one person? I mean I know I just said art is subjective, but I've never seen one say that game was a looker >_>

Actually I was just stating the fact that single dev teams have created games from as great looking as Banished/Dust to games like Cave Story/Papers Please. The point was that, saying 1 person made the game doesn't excuse it from its flaws. I'm sure there are many more such games, but I've only listed 4 I think are in 'opposite sides' of the spectrum when it comes to looks imo.

Impact made a valid observation about the game, and I'm not saying Stardew is bad, but you saying it was made by 1 person seems like you actually believe it's ok for games to have such flaws since it's made by only 1 person (which I don't think is fair or correct).

Rhaknar

Ive already explained I didnt mean the game does or does not have flaws because its made by one person, I just thought the comparison to a full fledged team game is wrong. And with that im done because this is going in circles for a game I dont even have any personal stake in

Milamber

Going through the posts at Stardew Valley OT, I am surprised that there is quite a bit of people that have never played a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game at all.

Anteater

they put no thoughts into these save points in dead space lol

it cracks me up whenever I see like 2 save points just 3 rooms away from each other and then another one

zkylon

zkylewd
But Stardew Valley looks much better (in my opinion, which is of course the crutch of this whole sebate, art is subjective) than both Cave Story or Papers Please.

i think the visuals in papers please are very effective at conveying the game's setup so yeah, i'd say papers please has good art

Tizoc

Going through the posts at Stardew Valley OT, I am surprised that there is quite a bit of people that have never played a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game at all.
Inhavent played neither
Gonna get rune factory 4 later this week after inget my paycheck :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom