• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

they put no thoughts into these save points in dead space lol

it cracks me up whenever I see like 2 save points just 3 rooms away from each other and then another one

Yeah they're a bit silly in Dead Space but sometimes you are back and for thing through the same areas so it's a little comfort if you see a save station right after some scary encounter (I'm not a wuss, honest). 2 played on Hardcore on the other hand doesn't matter if there's a nigh on continual chain of save stations as you can only save twice the whole playthrough. 3 ditches save stations altogether and goes with auto saving upon checkpoints (that sometimes don't even track your progress fully).

tmarg

Man, Might and Magic clash of Heroes is hard.
I wonder if I'm playing it wrong.

I've bought a few games like that, and every time I eventually come to the realization that I don't really want a story in my puzzle games.

I remember the load times being really bad on that too. Of course I didn't have a SSD at the time.

Echoplx

Art.. art.. art... as a small developer it's a tricky thing to handle. When me and my team started outsourcing for art and seeing the results, we were very happy and amazed. We thought "yes, this is good let's go with this look". When our game (or at least part of it since it is still in development) were showcased to other users the main thing being criticized was our art and it left a bad feeling that maybe we chose incorrectly and that our money was wasted paying for many of these art assets. We are currently trying to think of other ways to improve our art without overhauling or starting from scratch because frankly we spent a huge amount of our savings on them. Here are some art from our game:

I guess we are currently banking on the game's concept to carry the weak art (we were very encouraged by Undertale's success). Our game puts you in control of the monster as you battle the heroes and give them exciting battles while at the same time following standard RPG rules (like reacting on critical hits, dropping them loots, reacting to elemental weaknesses etc.).

The game was just recently greenlit on steam too. How do you find our art? :(
More importantly, how do you think we can improve our art?
This is our greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630899391

P.S. Stardew Valley looks sweet! You guys are crazy!

If you were going for the adult flash game look you nailed it.

I'm still annoyed that I fucked up one step in Cave Story that kept me from getting the best ending, so I never ended up finishing the game.

Ludens

Banned
Completed Blood Money yesterday, on Pro, all Silent Assassin ranks.
The game was very good, but still I prefer Absolution.
On Pro the game can be brutally hard, you need to do a mission again and again when you figured out what to do because NPCs patterns are usually time based, so you need to catch them in a proper location to kill them.

I wanted to do Silent Assassin And Contracts but....I think I'll take a pause, those games are hard and you need to pay too much attention when you play them.

Jadax

A few days ago there was a discussion about the new Steam trade system, I have a question about that:

- Someone trades me csgo keys, he has only activated steam auth for 4 days, so since it hasn't been 7 days I get a msg on top saying the trade will be held for 15 days.

- Over this 15 day period can he revoke the trade and take back his keys?

- I am supposed to send him an item via gift (so not trade).

I'm asking because this way he's the only one who is actually sending something via trade, whilst my part of the trade will be sending something via gift (which isn't restricted).

Anyone know what the protocol is, is trading like this safe or should I only look for people who have had their steam auths for 7 days.

Ban Puncher

ayy fam guess wuts back again???

Day Three of No Shit Internet

V67hlVT.gif

Internet had been sluggish for about a week and there was static on my phone line again. Called the phone company and they said they would send someone to look at it. They came Friday morning and fucked with something out on the street, didn't even come into the house, and the static was gone. Now there is nothing. Line is completely dead. And salt was poured on the slug.

Fuck them and fuck this. Called the Telecommunications Ombudsman and lodged an official complaint. Weirdly, the phone company got in contact with me quickly with apologies and promises to fix my shit. I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to show you the amazing results from speedtest.net but I can't even get the page to load now. Think dial up speeds. Then think worse.

1 LIKE = 1 PRAYER

zkylon

zkylewd
man the spritework on the stardew valley mods is super impressive

so what are the essential mods? i'm already running out of stamina like 15 minutes into the day lol

Endruen

Ok, I have a problem with Disgaea since it released and I'm losing my shit, it even makes me not want to play it.
Basically, whenever I try to play with my Steam Controller, the game acts as if I'm always holding up. I tried changing configurations and it doesn't give a fuck. It magically fixed itself a couple of times, but whenever I restart the game, it starts again.
Any idea?

V67hlVT.gif

Internet had been sluggish for about a week and there was static on my phone line again. Called the phone company and they said they would send someone to look at it. They came Friday morning and fucked with something out on the street, didn't even come into the house, and the static was gone. Now there is nothing. Line is completely dead. And salt was poured on the slug.

Fuck them and fuck this. Called the Telecommunications Ombudsman and lodged an official complaint. Weirdly, the phone company got in contact with me quickly with apologies and promises to fix my shit. I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to show you the amazing results from speedtest.net but I can't even get the page to load now. Think dial up speeds. Then think worse.

1 LIKE = 1 PRAYER

I'm conflicted. I'm happy there's no crepey anime gifs. Then again, they are most appropriate when replying to the situation at hand.

Regardless, hope you get everything sorted out.

V67hlVT.gif

1 LIKE = 1 PRAYER
My phone is kaput, camera and wifi won't work and getting some screen artifacting, ordered a new one but will take 2+ weeks to arrive, so I feel your pain.

me0wish

Art.. art.. art... as a small developer it's a tricky thing to handle. When me and my team started outsourcing for art and seeing the results, we were very happy and amazed. We thought "yes, this is good let's go with this look". When our game (or at least part of it since it is still in development) were showcased to other users the main thing being criticized was our art and it left a bad feeling that maybe we chose incorrectly and that our money was wasted paying for many of these art assets. We are currently trying to think of other ways to improve our art without overhauling or starting from scratch because frankly we spent a huge amount of our savings on them. Here are some art from our game:

81T99le.gif

D9hsfMe.gif

aOYvB8Y.gif

I guess we are currently banking on the game's concept to carry the weak art (we were very encouraged by Undertale's success). Our game puts you in control of the monster as you battle the heroes and give them exciting battles while at the same time following standard RPG rules (like reacting on critical hits, dropping them loots, reacting to elemental weaknesses etc.).

The game was just recently greenlit on steam too. How do you find our art? :(
More importantly, how do you think we can improve our art?
This is our greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630899391

P.S. Stardew Valley looks sweet! You guys are crazy!

The art needs some more put into it, the colors, art and animation feels very "flash" like, I think it's the lack of details in the background and not so well chosen colors that give it that feel.

The characters themselves look decent, but their faces in battle doesn't look good.

Wish you all the best for trying something new, it looks neat.

Edit: After going through the backgrounds and focusing on the images, I think its the over use of color gradient (?) is what's giving your game that feel.

The bar tender and the posters don't use color gradient, and the background does, this can also be seen here:

The plant and the bear are the worst looking characters because they suffer from this, they use color gradient, and their out line is shallower than the other characters (or maybe the color gradient is giving the illusion of that it is), giving them an over all "cheaper" look and making the art feel very inconsistent, It doesn't help that the barrel is too wide and copy pasted in the bar, and the zombie right leg looks weird.

I tried to make sense as much as I can of what I dislike about the art, I hope you find my input helpful :D

Anteater

Yeah they're a bit silly in Dead Space but sometimes you are back and for thing through the same areas so it's a little comfort if you see a save station right after some scary encounter (I'm not a wuss, honest). 2 played on Hardcore on the other hand doesn't matter if there's a nigh on continual chain of save stations as you can only save twice the whole playthrough. 3 ditches save stations altogether and goes with auto saving upon checkpoints (that sometimes don't even track your progress fully).

i don't remember these places and if i'm back tracking or not lol

Endruen

Ok, after reinstalling the game without any progress, I restarted my PC, which solved the problem with the scrolling up without the controller.
Looks like the trick is to connect the controller AFTER starting the game, and then it works like a charm. I hope they fix it soon.

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be for every listing.

Scratch that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198077767&postcount=6425

Interestingly, they seem to have removed that line from the FAQ

Valve pls y.y

EDIT English page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1284-WTKB-4729&l=english

no mention

Portugese page https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1284-WTKB-4729&l=portuguese

Nem todos os anúncios no Mercado necessitam de confirmação. A maioria dos anúncios num valor inferior a 3$ (ou equivalente) poderá ser feita de imediato.

lel

Endruen

Now that I have solved the problem with Disgaea PC, I'm going to create some characters. Does anyone want their name in them?
I need a cleric, a mage, and a brawler.
Any candidate?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
seriously why are they making me watch these perverted sequences

...It wasn't perverted. Where the hell are you getting perversion from? Dude straight up tortured and then murdered him.

Hektor

A win10 update just autouninstalled a program for me.
This is not cool microsoft, even if it was just speccy, not cool.

voodooray

A few days ago there was a discussion about the new Steam trade system, I have a question about that:

- Someone trades me csgo keys, he has only activated steam auth for 4 days, so since it hasn't been 7 days I get a msg on top saying the trade will be held for 15 days.

- Over this 15 day period can he revoke the trade and take back his keys?

- I am supposed to send him an item via gift (so not trade).

I'm asking because this way he's the only one who is actually sending something via trade, whilst my part of the trade will be sending something via gift (which isn't restricted).

Anyone know what the protocol is, is trading like this safe or should I only look for people who have had their steam auths for 7 days.

You need to make sure you trust them, with verifiable rep (not comments on their steam profile).

Yes, you are taking a risk. They will have a week trading cooldown, which you can read about here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1047-edfm-2932

You need to check their reputation before doing any one-way trades like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom