• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
morningbus wrote a long and well-reasoned post.

I'll just tell you that Outland is great and a blast in coop. Sure, it's not as tight in terms of controls as something like Ori is, but it is predictable and consistent.

Also, I enjoyed the gimmick. It's Ikaruga for platformers, what could go wrong?

isn't it also a metroidvania?

I haven't played it, i own it on two platforms and have played like 5 minutes of it over the years lol

Lain

Project Setsuna is coming west on PS4 and Steam as 'I am Setsuna,' Vita seemingly dropped

CdgvmT1UIAE0aQK.jpg

I've been looking forward to it. I can understand why the Vita version was dropped. Horrendous load times...like 12~30 seconds each time you enter and exit -__-

Good that it is coming to PC. I was interested in the game.

Vlad

isn't it also a metroidvania?

Eh, depends on your definition, really. You gain abilities that allow you to access new areas, but the progression is entirely linear, and a lot of the progression is "you've beaten this boss, now go to the next area". There's never any backtracking to explore more with your new powers or anything like that.

That, and from what I can remember, the new powers are never anything super interesting or useful, just different types of attacks and the other things you'd expect (ground pound, etc).

Arthea

So good.

Arthea, did you get to 4k already? Because if you didn't, then you know which game can get you over the edge ;)

unfortunately I decided it's months away still and bought Trulon instead.
As you can see I didn't expect WotS3 so soon. Hopefully it'll be cheap so I can buy it day one even if I won't be playing it any time soon.

Wow, Setsuna coming to Steam :p

setsunau0raq.png

udhc6al.jpg

What a time to be alive ! A Japanese RPG from Square-Enix, coming to Steam and PS4, at the same time. Gives me good hope for the rest, aka FFXV, KH3 and Nier Automata :p

Knurek

Wow, Setsuna coming to Steam :p
udhc6al.jpg

What a time to be alive ! A Japanese RPG from Square-Enix, coming to Steam and PS4, at the same time. Gives me good hope for the rest, aka FFXV, KH3 and Nier Automata :p

How long till Steam implodes under all the bad business decisions Valve's has been doing as of late?

Arthea

Clannad is on weeklong deals, but I need it to go lower still

Actually more games on my wishlist are on sale, what's going on?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

For all you Nepsters
Well, it isn't Megadimension but it is still nice to see this one on PC although I am not sure that the gameplay is for me cause it looks like Dynasty warriors and I didn't really get into that one.

I wonder what the price will be considering this is the first spin off that is coming to PC, it will depend on the price if I will buy it though.

PaulLFC

I don't know what's up with Steam's download process - it keeps pausing downloads at random intervals with a "download corrupt" message and will have them sat in the "update required queue" for a few minutes doing nothing unless I manually restart the download.

Connecting through a VPN rather than direct to the router stops this happening, but obviously downloads are then slower. This got me thinking there must be an issue with my connection - except Uplay, GOG Galaxy, Origin, Battle.net, Chrome downloads, PSN and XBL have no such issue - they download things just fine, and at good speeds (apart from PSN which is slow because PSN). This says to me Steam is the issue somewhere.

Their own support suggests antivirus or other programs are "interfering" with Steam, and as hard as I find this to believe (given the above programs are absolutely fine) I temporarily disabled Malwarebytes and Kaspersky - surprise surprise, the same issue occurred, so they have nothing to do with it. Really frustrating.

How long till Steam implodes under all the bad business decisions Valve's has been doing as of late?

I hope not :p
But yeah, instead of trying to fix what works, Valve should work on what doesn't. Adding more interface changes, touchscreen support. Courting publishers actively to bring more games on their platform, opening a customer support :p
even though, I luckily never had to deal with that. The only time I did was quick enough

Balthuk

header.jpg

While I can't promise that this would be the best quarter you've ever spent, Out There Somewhere is easily going to be one of the best quarters you've ever spent on a game. The game is short but sweet. It will only clock you about an hour to complete it, but it's worth playing through a few times to 100%. It takes soem obvious cues from Metroid and Cave Story but has some pretty inventive platforming with its teleportation gun. Totally worth checking out.

Yeah I played it a bit back and had quite a fun time. Plus it's close to zero cost with steam cards (even in those harsh times of steam mobile authentication). Pick it up people.

MadGear

I just played the tutorial for Warmachine Tactics. The games UI is super rough and small, the unit controls just plain horrible. I will continue to play at least for a couple of missions and hope that the game will grow on me but I'm shocked by how much this tutorial turned me off.

kagamin

I saw a Neptunia U stream and it was 60fps.

Well, it isn't Megadimension but it is still nice to see this one on PC although I am not sure that the gameplay is for me cause it looks like Dynasty warriors and I didn't really get into that one.

I wonder what the price will be considering this is the first spin off that is coming to PC, it will depend on the price if I will buy it though.

If you like Senran Kagura's gameplay you'll probably like this one.

I got two copies of the Burning man movie to gift on Steam, PM if interested.

:crickets

As someone who goes to Burning Man every year, I can say that that movie is.. not great (and it covers an early 2000's Burning Man so it's pretty out of date). All Burning Man movies suck, even the more recent high-budget "SPARK" movie. Still, as an early example of a David Best temple design, it miiiiiiiight be worth watching for that alone. Maybe.

(to make some sort of tenuous connection to videogames, there used to be a camp that basically built a WoW tavern there, dressed up as orcs, and gave out quests. If you completed one, you got whatever you wanted to drink)

Vlad

I'll say this: it's a dollar, but a dollar often gets you the lowest tier of a bundle.

I didn't enjoy this game. I played it in co-op with a friend who I play most of my co-op games with and have good times, regardless of relative game quality, and I didn't enjoy it.

If you look at the OT for the game, you'll find a lot of people praising many aspects of the gameplay, which is a bit of a shock for me as just about everything people were praising were things I especially hated. Chief among them, and I'm somewhat of a stickler with this one, your character's movement through space.

There are a few design schools when it comes to platforming physics, but I generally reduce them down to this: S/NES-era and PS1-era. S/NES-era is best embodied by many of the best Japanese platforming games that offer tight, responsive controls. PS1-era is represented by European platformers that rely on more forgiving physics to traverse the environment, or what is often pejoratively called "floaty."

With those two on either end of the spectrum, Outland is closer to the PS1-era design philosophy. It isn't as bad as some of the worst offenders, but it lacks the responsiveness I except from my platformers.

Beyond that, I don't think the gameplay gimmick (again, often used as a pejorative, but is not my intent here) is ever really explored in a satisfying way. Once you gain your main abilities, you basically use them in exactly the same way for hours and hours.

Also, the difficulty of the game is not from challenging platforming or skilled combat, but generally recognizing enemy patterns and slowly, slowly whittling down their health. The game is a constant battle of attrition and it's design decisions often mean you'll intentionally die just to get the health boost from a checkpoint. That's just bad design.

However, my opinions are my own here and have been somewhat generalized and intensified in the months since playing it, so your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I'm right there with you, although more on the later points than the first ones. I don't remember having any issues with the controls, although they certainly weren't floaty. I guess it's just down to preference on that one.

While there were a few areas here and there that required a little planning and clever timing to work your way through the swarms of bullets, there were far too many that were just annoying. The boss fights were neat, though.

Balthuk

So I've been playing some valve games recently. Played a bit of TF2, now reinstalled CSGO after a friend picked it up and I'm noticing/remembering some things. Valve is a huge huge entity, way bigger than a few years back when these games launched. Still though, these games suffer from quite a lot of technical issues.
TF2 had frame rate drops for me once in a while that should never happen on my rig and general source engine weirdness.
CSGO still launches with my own launch commads so that it doesn't reset resolution options. In-game vsync straight up doesn't work and I have to fight with AMD settings to get it to work. And let's not forget the bug that must exist for years now where players get disconnected from a server when a game ends and the next one loads. This one I remember fixing in the past but now I have to paste something in the console for it to not crash? I find these unacceptable for games of such importance for Valve, games that Valve created markets and items for and have millions of players.
Valve, being the top player when it comes to pc gaming, should be extra careful of bugs on their games and they really do not seem to care sometimes.
These issues coupled with Spelunky having some weird frame drops and Broken Age running at 40 fps unless I use Radeon pro have annoyed me quite a bit.
--Technical issues rant over.

ExoSoul

Banned
I'll say this: it's a dollar, but a dollar often gets you the lowest tier of a bundle.

I didn't enjoy this game. I played it in co-op with a friend who I play most of my co-op games with and have good times, regardless of relative game quality, and I didn't enjoy it.

If you look at the OT for the game, you'll find a lot of people praising many aspects of the gameplay, which is a bit of a shock for me as just about everything people were praising were things I especially hated. Chief among them, and I'm somewhat of a stickler with this one, your character's movement through space.

There are a few design schools when it comes to platforming physics, but I generally reduce them down to this: S/NES-era and PS1-era. S/NES-era is best embodied by many of the best Japanese platforming games that offer tight, responsive controls. PS1-era is represented by European platformers that rely on more forgiving physics to traverse the environment, or what is often pejoratively called "floaty."

With those two on either end of the spectrum, Outland is closer to the PS1-era design philosophy. It isn't as bad as some of the worst offenders, but it lacks the responsiveness I except from my platformers.

Beyond that, I don't think the gameplay gimmick (again, often used as a pejorative, but is not my intent here) is ever really explored in a satisfying way. Once you gain your main abilities, you basically use them in exactly the same way for hours and hours.

Also, the difficulty of the game is not from challenging platforming or skilled combat, but generally recognizing enemy patterns and slowly, slowly whittling down their health. The game is a constant battle of attrition and it's design decisions often mean you'll intentionally die just to get the health boost from a checkpoint. That's just bad design.

However, my opinions are my own here and have been somewhat generalized and intensified in the months since playing it, so your mileage may vary.

I'm sorry what?
Everything until then can be credited to opinin/preference but that's just plain wrong. Enemies die in 3 swings or less unless we're talking about bosses.

And regarding a point you mentioned earlier - the game's regarded as a bullethell platfromer for a reason.

Edit: just remembered one enemy type in the late game that takes 4-5 hits, that's the exception.

JustLynx

DRM-Free only

https://www.humblebundle.com/mix-digital-preview-ticket

Pay $0.01+

Giant Cop: Justice Above All
Goliath (Early Build) Goliath
FORCED SHOWDOWN (Early Build) FORCED SHOWDOWN
PolyRace (Early Build) PolyRace
Prismata (Early Build) Prismata
RIVE (Early Build) RIVE
Arena Gods (Early Build) Requires controller
Burly Men at Sea Burly Men at Sea
Combat Core (Early Build) Combat Core
10% off Humble Monthly for New Subscribers 10% off Humble Monthly for New Subscribers

I'm lost, what's this?

[edit]
MIX it up and support indie developers! In conjunction with the Media Indie Exchange (MIX) 5th Anniversary Showcase, we're offering up this special bundle for a price of your choice. While there are no full games included in this bundle, you'll unlock early builds unique to this bundle that'll give you a taste of the games and coupons for discounts on the full titles.

Pay what you want for Giant Cop: Justice Above All (Early Build) + 50% off Coupon, Goliath (Early Build) + 15% off Coupon, FORCED SHOWDOWN (Early Build), PolyRace (Early Build) + 25% off Coupon, Prismata (Early Build), RIVE (Early Build) + 33% off Coupon, Arena Gods (Early Build), Burly Men at Sea (Early Build) + 20% off Coupon, Combat Core (Early Build) + 25% off Coupon, and a 10% off Humble Monthly Coupon for New Subscribers.

Oh..

Purkake4

Banned
Haven't posted anything in a while but have I mentioned yet how great Underrail is?

header.jpg

Like superb duperb great. It's ridiculous playing this back-to-back with Fallout 4: it's basically everything that Fallout 4 was and wasn't (at least so far, first ~10 hours).

Disclaimer: I really love (especially) Fallout 2 but this isn't nostalgia talking: I only finished Fallout 2 first time in something like 2013.

TL;DR: Read the above then buy Underrail
We had a whole thread about it. It's really nice, especially after the last quality of life patch.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm sorry what?
Everything until then can be credited to opinin/preference but that's just plain wrong. Enemies die in 3 swings or less unless we're talking about bosses.

And regarding a point you mentioned earlier - the game's regarded as a bullethell platfromer for a reason.

Edit: just remembered one enemy type in the late game that takes 4-5 hits, that's the exception.

I am including bosses in that assessment because, based off the amount of time you do actually spend fighting them they account for a significant portion of game.

But I also think 3 hits can be a lot to take out a regular grunt enemy. Obviously I'm not expecting one-shots everywhere, but based on how you play the game (attack, wait for the enemy's pattern to complete, attack again, pattern, attack) that can be a lot of waiting around. They may not be "bullet sponges," but it takes the same amount of time as if they were.

Obviously not all enemies fall into that category, but enough do.

We had a whole thread about it. It's really nice, especially after the last quality of life patch.

I checkout out the contents of that last patch and it's seems to be pretty significant. I bought the game before it launched but only now have gotten to play it myself, so it seems like a good time.

Purkake4

Banned
I checkout out the contents of that last patch and it's seems to be pretty significant. I bought the game before it launched but only now have gotten to play it myself, so it seems like a good time.
Yeah, the endgame was a bit of a mess, but they fixed it now AFAIK. Haven't reached it yet myself.

Haven't posted anything in a while but have I mentioned yet how great Underrail is?

header.jpg

Like superb duperb great. It's ridiculous playing this back-to-back with Fallout 4: it's basically everything that Fallout 4 was and wasn't (at least so far, first ~10 hours).

Disclaimer: I really love (especially) Fallout 2 but this isn't nostalgia talking: I only finished Fallout 2 first time in something like 2013.

TL;DR: Read the above then buy Underrail

Between Wasteland 2 and this, which would you say is the better post-apocalyptic rpg experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom