• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Pretty sure I can talk about this now. The game is a lot of fun, and I'm not even a moba guy. I was enjoying myself just trying the classes and playing against the CPU. My only complaint was matches felt a bit long.

How long? The short match times actually put me off of most of these new MOBAish things. So long as there is character progression that doesn't bottom out right away I actually prefer Dota's tendency towards 35-45 minute matches.

Jawmuncher

How long? The short match times actually put me off of most of these new MOBAish things. So long as there is character progression that doesn't bottom out right away I actually prefer Dota's tendency towards 35-45 minute matches.

All my matches were about 30 minutes. I never fully maxed my character while playing in a match either.

zkylon

zkylewd
Haven't posted anything in a while but have I mentioned yet how great Underrail is?

header.jpg

Like superb duperb great. It's ridiculous playing this back-to-back with Fallout 4: it's basically everything that Fallout 4 was and wasn't (at least so far, first ~10 hours).

Disclaimer: I really love (especially) Fallout 2 but this isn't nostalgia talking: I only finished Fallout 2 first time in something like 2013.

TL;DR: Read the above then buy Underrail

i want to play underrail but i can't really fit another huge rpg in my life

i just can't

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
not sure if these where already posted

BundleStars Playlist Bundle

From experimental FPS and pyschological horror to hardcore platformers and world building, pay only $1.99 and get all 10 games in the brand new Playlist Bundle! And with 7 games offering Steam Trading Cards, you can even make credit back!

Your Playlist Bundle includes:
AXYOS
A Wolf in Autumn
PING 1.5+
Grey Cubes
Stigmat
Slipstream 5000
Broken Dreams
Vapour
Doodle God
Close Order

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/playlist-bundle

--------------------------

Indiegala Monday Bundle #102

Pay $1.49 for the following:
Elysium: Blood Games
PIXELMAN
Cube Destroyer
My Bones
Diamond Deeps
Story of the Survivor
C. Kane

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

Knurek

header.jpg

Documentary about the phenomenon of Polish video game magazines in the 90s. Times when magazine pages were put together with glue and scissors and original games were a scarcity. A unique journey to the classic Amiga and PC titles accompanied by an extraordinary soundtrack.

O..Okay...

sounds like a interesting docu imo :)

For you an interesting documentary, for me childhood. :)
Honestly though, for anyone's interested, looking at the trailer the translation seems to be all right.

I see they basically copied Guardians of the Galaxy art style and even some characters... disgusting.
I love Guardians of the Galaxy

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it. There were at least three I saw who could be the main members of the GotG.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just stuck out to me.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
For you an interesting documentary, for me childhood. :)
Honestly though, for anyone's interested, looking at the trailer the translation seems to be all right.

I thought as much, always fun to see how things where handled in other country's back then :)

A film about the German videogame/PC magazine scene in the 80s and 90s would be great too... to relive my childhood :p

MUnited83

For you.
Haven't posted anything in a while but have I mentioned yet how great Underrail is?

header.jpg

Like superb duperb great. It's ridiculous playing this back-to-back with Fallout 4: it's basically everything that Fallout 4 was and wasn't (at least so far, first ~10 hours).

Disclaimer: I really love (especially) Fallout 2 but this isn't nostalgia talking: I only finished Fallout 2 first time in something like 2013.

yo

this guy knows what he's talking about

underrail is the best rpg in years

Ventara

Project Setsuna on Steam is AWESOME news!! Can't wait.

But, what's up with all those "No Vita no buy" and "Fuck you Square Enix" (for not releasing the game on Vita) guys. I mean, I understand, it sucks it isn't coming to Vita over here, but hey the game is at least coming AND they added another platform (PC) so most people can enjoy it (PS4/PC sounds like a better combo for me in the west). But, oh well, sucks for the people that won't buy it because of that...

Is it really surprising, though? I mean, PC users throw up an even bigger uproar when they lose a game to another system. Imagine getting a game announced for your system of choice, seeing it run and play on it, getting the hype rolling to play it on your system, then boom, it get localized, but the system you game on is left out. What's more, it gets a port to another system which would need more work. The port by itself is a good thing, but couple it with the choice of one of the two systems it was made on being left out? Yeah, I'd get why some are upset. And of course, some Vita users don't have a PS4 or a capable PC.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Getting Setsuna and Trails 3rd on Steam is some awesome news. I need to finish up Trails SC though! Then I can go back to being sad that Cold Steel didn't come to Steam.

sadblob

header.jpg

Awesome, been following this game and reading that cleared any doubts I could have
(almost zero)
Damn, so many RPGs and so little time

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Outland is a freaking dollar on Steam. Play that.

I'll say this: it's a dollar, but a dollar often gets you the lowest tier of a bundle.

I didn't enjoy this game. I played it in co-op with a friend who I play most of my co-op games with and have good times, regardless of relative game quality, and I didn't enjoy it.

If you look at the OT for the game, you'll find a lot of people praising many aspects of the gameplay, which is a bit of a shock for me as just about everything people were praising were things I especially hated. Chief among them, and I'm somewhat of a stickler with this one, your character's movement through space.

There are a few design schools when it comes to platforming physics, but I generally reduce them down to this: S/NES-era and PS1-era. S/NES-era is best embodied by many of the best Japanese platforming games that offer tight, responsive controls. PS1-era is represented by European platformers that rely on more forgiving physics to traverse the environment, or what is often pejoratively called "floaty."

With those two on either end of the spectrum, Outland is closer to the PS1-era design philosophy. It isn't as bad as some of the worst offenders, but it lacks the responsiveness I except from my platformers.

Beyond that, I don't think the gameplay gimmick (again, often used as a pejorative, but is not my intent here) is ever really explored in a satisfying way. Once you gain your main abilities, you basically use them in exactly the same way for hours and hours.

Also, the difficulty of the game is not from challenging platforming or skilled combat, but generally recognizing enemy patterns and slowly, slowly whittling down their health. The game is a constant battle of attrition and it's design decisions often mean you'll intentionally die just to get the health boost from a checkpoint. That's just bad design.

However, my opinions are my own here and have been somewhat generalized and intensified in the months since playing it, so your mileage may vary.

header.jpg

While I can't promise that this would be the best quarter you've ever spent, Out There Somewhere is easily going to be one of the best quarters you've ever spent on a game. The game is short but sweet. It will only clock you about an hour to complete it, but it's worth playing through a few times to 100%. It takes some obvious cues from Metroid and Cave Story but has some pretty inventive platforming with its teleportation gun. Totally worth checking out.

Durante

morningbus wrote a long and well-reasoned post.

I'll just tell you that Outland is great and a blast in coop. Sure, it's not as tight in terms of controls as something like Ori is, but it is predictable and consistent.

Also, I enjoyed the gimmick. It's Ikaruga for platformers, what could go wrong?

FloatOn

Speaking of cheap games

Outland is only 99 cents right now

get it if you don't have it already

edit - well damn this was already covered lol

Teggy

header.jpg

While I can't promise that this would be the best quarter you've ever spent, Out There Somewhere is easily going to be one of the best quarters you've ever spent on a game. The game is short but sweet. It will only clock you about an hour to complete it, but it's worth playing through a few times to 100%. It takes soem obvious cues from Metroid and Cave Story but has some pretty inventive platforming with its teleportation gun. Totally worth checking out.

Huh, I already own it. Part of a bundle in early access maybe?

Arthea

you better all save those pennies for Trails TC in 2017, instead of complaining about price for pages to no end
just saying

also holy smoke! morningbus actually posted something worth reading again, together with Setsuna announcement this day shapes nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom