• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
well, u prolly hang out with ppl from neogaf or other hardcore enthusiasts that don't really represent the majority of gamers

i'm guessing most ppl don't even know about ubi's bullshit or whatever

dex3108

It's an odd situation as if you look back just a couple of years ago the amount of AMD endorsed titles compared to Nvidia ones was heavily in their favour. Instead of leveraging their R&D efforts and partnering up with these studios to offer up stuff they have been working on most of the benefits seem to be largely about driver and performance benefits. While no where near as extensive as Nvidia's efforts AMD do have some interesting things mentioned in their white papers on their site. Surprised they really weren't pushing for further Mantel adoption in their sponsored titles (though getting a whole new render path on a new API thrown into development isn't for every studio) but that boat has sailed with Vulkan now.

I don't have anything against criticizing Nvidia but AMD needs to start showing things and stop talking. If they want to be competitive on software/middleware side they need to step up their game. But what we are talking about here when their new GPU demo last night was 2 minutes of live Hitman gameplay without any stats on screen and their claim that it worked at 1440p/60. No FPS counter, no GPU Temp, no Power consumption, no GPU utilization nothing just two minutes of live gameplay. I want them to be better because competition is good but they really need to step up their game.

zkylon

zkylewd
did the tits devs consider 2 a success yet?

maybe they didn't need that many sales to recoup its cost

cos i'm guessing there was a lot of work done in tits 1 that carried over to 2 even tho 2 is a bigger game

idk

Arthea

This Ubi game is actually good though.

bbbut I was told it's another Destiny, it doesn't matter how good it is if there is barely any content so far.

Surely he's talking about Stardew Valley?

touché
lol

cos i'm guessing there was a lot of work done in tits 1 that carried over to 2 even tho 2 is a bigger game

idk

they probably think it'll sell more now when TC is announced, I sincerely hope that will be the case. I want The Legend of Heroes live on PC forever, even if Falcom abandoned PC development, they might come back some day if it'll become worth.

idk

I don't think so, there was that localizacion debacle which probably added to the cost, but who knows...

Ludens

Banned
Is it true the AI in Hitman 2 and Contracts is very bugged?
I was planning to start Contracts, but a friend told me the PS3 version is hella bugged. I tried to google and it seems really that way, the AI is not good as is in Blood Money.

Since I'm planning to play on Pro, I don't want start a game in which I will need to redo levels from the scratch because the game is bugged.

I just don't understand this Authenticator stuff AT ALL

It says to bypass all of it all I need to do is download the app, which I've always had, and now it just emails me codes every time I try to do anything in the marketplace. The only option I can see that removes having to send codes all of the time invalidates me from posting anything to the marketplace until I reapply the previous option.

I understand that they want to make their store more secure, but this seems to be the most cumbersome and least intuitive way possible. I'm just trying to sell some damned trading cards, and cards that would have previously been bought in seconds have now been sitting there for days.

I thought maybe they were priced too high and so I removed them all from the marketplace, and then had to confirm each listing again individually via email to have them relisted.

I don't know if maybe I am just missing a vital part of this whole procedure, but if this is just how their marketplace works now I kind of don't want to react with it at all. I tried hard not to have a kneejerk reaction of "oh this is different than how I'm used to, so it's bad", but it's generally been pretty unpleasant :/

Monooboe

So, Stardew Valley, if I've never played Harvest Moon like games and not sure how I would like them should I still get Stardew Valley? The positive reception that it has gotten has made me curious.

Played a bit of Crysis 3 now that I have the 980ti....
Damn that game is pretty in the outside sections, but kinda normal in the inside sections and... its boring. I played for about 45 minutes, but even with the powersuit it feels like "every other modern FPS".

Salsa

So, Stardew Valley, if I've never played Harvest Moon like games and not sure how I would like them should I still get Stardew Valley? The positive reception that it has gotten has made me curious.

yeah

maybe moreso cause its very much in line with Harvest Moon and as something new to you it might be even cooler

I want The Division

yet idk about most hyped game of the year. really?

I feel like I barely know what it is. it was easy to avoid

id probably give that title to no mans sky

Stardew Valley is about to break half a million in sales
but DIvision already did, how? why?
Dang is creeping to 30K slowly
Trails FC might get to 200K after this sale
Trails SC getting to 20K finally *sigh

steam was a mistake

Isnt it normal since last gen that western games sell well, while japanese are kind of a niché again?

Mivey

Come on everyone knows Ubisoft is an icon in the games industry.
Sure, to the point where people lovingly call their highly diverse and unique games "the Ubi game". The reaction to their early in-game teasers for new games is also iconic, usually shown on high-end PCs from the future to show PC gamers they future-proof their games.

I wonder how much Ubisoft will change under Vivendi.

Arthea

give it a shot, it's a good game, if it'll turn out that you don't like this kind of games, at least you'll know for future reference.
And let's be frank it's a damn cheap for such a good game.

Sölf

Old School Fire Emblem. Playing fates right now and have never missed anything above 90%. Though that seems to be common in Xcom.

In one of the games, not sure which one exactly, they basially added "True Hit". In older ones, hit was exactly what was shown. So 90% hit was 90%. In newer ones, it's not 1/100 but 1/10000. So lower chances miss more often than what is shown and higher chances don't miss as often as is shown.

Sernes Forest has a section for it, but it seems the site is currently down.

Damn that game is pretty in the outside sections, but kinda normal in the inside sections and... its boring. I played for about 45 minutes, but even with the powersuit it feels like "every other modern FPS".

Crysis 3 is by far the worst game in the franchise imo, the last hour in particular is terrible, this franchise sure went out with a whimper.

Stardew Valley is about to break half a million in sales
but DIvision already did, how? why?
Dang is creeping to 30K slowly
Trails FC might get to 200K after this sale
Trails SC getting to 20K finally *sigh

I still don't get this gap between FC and SC. I'm sure many people haven't finished FC yet which is understandable but still... I wonder how much it sold on GOG. I'm so glad 3rd is coming over anyway, based XSeed.

Hektor

I wonder how long it takes for people to jump on the Stardew Valley bandwagon and start doing their own take of the harvest moon formular for Steam early access, ruining every enjoyment i could get out of what has once been an unique and rarely used concept, by pumping out dozens and dozens of samey looking samey playing games that all suck at what they do but flood the market to a degree that it i lose everey interest that i ever had in that genre. Just a matter of time now.

yuraya

Where are all the iconic deals for the iconic Dark Souls 3? These sites need to cough up that sub 40 iconic deal already.

I'm looking at you GMG.

Sarcasm

So Path of Exile has been shoved off to Garena locally (while back - shit service) and I deleted my local files and even the associated acf (or w/e extension) file yet it always downloads 30mb of something.

How do I get steam to stop redownloading what ever that is?

Arthea

I wonder how long it takes for people to jump on the Stardew Valley bandwagon and start doing their own take of the harvest moon formular for Steam early access, ruining every enjoyment i could get out of what has once been an unique and rarely used concept, by pumping out dozens and dozens of samey looking samey playing games that all suck at what they do but flood the market to a degree that it i lose everey interest that i ever had in that genre. Just a matter of time now.

well, not like there were no tries before, like Wild Season, which was the first, but not only it was nowhere near finished (released in EA), it's still so far from completion that I'm not sure it ever will get there.
Then there is Castaway Paradise, not even in the same league with Stardew Valley.
And then there are some RPG maker attempts, hindered by being RPG maker games.
What I mean, there will be no flood of such games, it's too much work, that's why it's mindblowing how one person could make such a game. If I didn't know, I wouldn't believe it.
Although I can imagine people trying to make Stardew Valley clones, some might even be successful, we will see.
But if you are expecting such flood as we had with tower defence games or roguelikelite games, that's not going to happen.

Salsa

well you seem fun

Adry9

Thinking about getting Dark Souls 3 from Gamesplanet. Do you guys know if it's an official seller or are they like CDkeys and Instant Gaming?

AcKG65Z.jpg

REAL HEROES

Best squad pic I've seen from that game.

wW1dH66.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Path of Exile has been shoved off to Garena locally (while back - shit service) and I deleted my local files and even the associated acf (or w/e extension) file yet it always downloads 30mb of something.

How do I get steam to stop redownloading what ever that is?

Trying removing the FoD licence from your account page.

Hektor

well you seem fun

There is a 95% chance people enjoy beeing around me.

well, not like there were no tries before, like Wild Season, which was the first, but not only it was nowhere near finished (released in EA), it's still so far from completion that I'm not sure it ever will get there.
Then there is Castaway Paradise, not even in the same league with Stardew Valley.
And then there are some RPG maker attempts, hindered by being RPG maker games.
What I mean, there will be no flood of such games, it's too much work, that's why it's mindblowing how one person could make such a game. If I didn't know, I wouldn't believe it.
Although I can imagine people trying to make Stardew Valley clones, some might even be successful, we will see.
But if you are expecting such flood as we had with tower defence games or roguelikelite games, that's not going to happen.

You think? I'm not so sure about that. Making a good zombie surival game takes time and effort too, but that didn't stopped other people from trying.

Salsa

Stardew Valley is Harvest Moon to the point of repeating a lot of the same mistakes it always had

I expected something like a non-'japanese' (ser; what id consider to be more user friendly, snappier gampelay, rather than the jRPG approach of sticking to ancient systems / design decisions (like Pokemon) instead of making it more streamlined, as it happens more in the west) Harvest Moon

but no not really. a lot of its approach is still very still and slow and confusing. although it is a bit better at it

its also a lot of earlygame and very little lategame

and the relationship stuff is even more stilted than Harvest Moon

its a good game, it could be a fantastic game. its made by one guy, so yeah

Phinor

Thinking about getting Dark Souls 3 from Gamesplanet. Do you guys know if it's an official seller or are they like CDkeys and Instant Gaming?

They are legit, official all the way. Been in the business for a long time too. You can use any of their sites (UK, DE, FR, others?) to buy, it's all the same account and so on.

That guy that called out Nvidia during AMD presentation about GameWorks last night really shouldn't do that. AMD needs to stop complaining and show things that can counter competition. And right after guy called out Nvidia he showed what AMD has to offer developers. And when you compare visual effects library from AMD to Nvidia you get this
Got any link for that presentation to watch?
Is that you? Holy smokes, that was awesome!
Haha, there's some gold there.

Arthea

You think? I'm not so sure about that. Making a good zombie surival game takes time and effort too, but that didn't stopped other people from trying.

That's not the same at all, SV has farming, foraging, fishing, mining, combat, crafting, social interaction, story, secrets, exploration, home interior design, cooking and all that has to be fun and bug free.
I followed Wild Season for a while now and they are struggling with pretty much every aspect of a game, not to mention that it still has very little content, they are making it about the same time as SV was made, ConcernedApe is just hella talented and hard working and I doubt many people are, also he likes HM a lot.

that's actually funny

Dr Dogg

Sure, to the point where people lovingly call their highly diverse and unique games "the Ubi game". The reaction to their early in-game teasers for new games is also iconic, usually shown on high-end PCs from the future to show PC gamers they future-proof their games.

I wonder how much Ubisoft will change under Vivendi.

Sure, I mean Vivendi almost ran Universal Pictures into the ground and lumbered them with mountains of debt but what could go wrong! I mean sure it's not exactly all their fault in a volatile industry but under Comcast's/GE's ownership they've made some pretty hefty box office sums. Those Despicable Me films have a redonkulious ROI.

Adry9

They are legit, official all the way. Been in the business for a long time too. You can use any of their sites (UK, DE, FR, others?) to buy, it's all the same account and so on.

Thanks! UK is cheaper so I think I'll get it from there

I just don't understand this Authenticator stuff AT ALL

It says to bypass all of it all I need to do is download the app, which I've always had, and now it just emails me codes every time I try to do anything in the marketplace. The only option I can see that removes having to send codes all of the time invalidates me from posting anything to the marketplace until I reapply the previous option.

I understand that they want to make their store more secure, but this seems to be the most cumbersome and least intuitive way possible. I'm just trying to sell some damned trading cards, and cards that would have previously been bought in seconds have now been sitting there for days.

I thought maybe they were priced too high and so I removed them all from the marketplace, and then had to confirm each listing again individually via email to have them relisted.

I don't know if maybe I am just missing a vital part of this whole procedure, but if this is just how their marketplace works now I kind of don't want to react with it at all. I tried hard not to have a kneejerk reaction of "oh this is different than how I'm used to, so it's bad", but it's generally been pretty unpleasant :/

It sounds like you might not have enabled the authenticator yet? You can read about how to set it up here. You'll stop getting email confirmations but instead you'll have to verify every item you list on the market through the phone. That will list your items onto the market immediately instead of having to wait days for them to show up there.

You should think twice before enabling the authenticator though. It's good for security but things can go wrong and lead to a lot of frustration including locking you out of your Steam account if you lose your phone/recovery codes etc.

Crysis 3 to this day remains one of the most beautiful games I've ever played but also one of the most dull. It's the only game where I reached the final boss and could not be bothered to kill it because I was bored out of my mind. My advice is just play it on easy, enjoy the visuals and get through it as quick as possible.

They're legit. Also remember to join the Uncut Steam group to get a 5% discount for anything you buy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom