• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

yeah

maybe moreso cause its very much in line with Harvest Moon and as something new to you it might be even cooler

I want The Division

yet idk about most hyped game of the year. really?

I feel like I barely know what it is. it was easy to avoid

id probably give that title to no mans sky

Yeah might be fun going into a game that turns out to be a new kind of experience. So will give it a try!

And I'm loving The Division but then I have huge weakness for lootdriven games, such as Diablo and Borderlands. So if that is anywhere near your kind of games then give it a go.

give it a shot, it's a good game, if it'll turn out that you don't like this kind of games, at least you'll know for future reference.
And let's be frank it's a damn cheap for such a good game.

Yeah the price is perfect for taking a chance and if it turns out I like then awesome.:D

Sarcasm

Yeah might be fun going into a game that turns out to be a new kind of experience. So will give it a try!

And I'm loving The Division but then I have huge weakness for lootdriven games, such as Diablo and Borderlands. So if that is anywhere near your kind of games then give it a go.

Yeah the price is perfect for taking a chance and if it turns out I like then awesome.:D

I found borderlands to be the most boring thing ever.

Yet I am in love with The Division. (Its my first Ubisoft game lol)

Arthea

let's sum up what we've learnt form Stardew Valley success. If you make a good game in underrepresented genre, listen to what your potential buyers want, you don't really need media attention (as Stardew Valley got close to none, especially at the start) or advertising.
It's not what we were led to believe in the last year with indie devs complaining about not getting any sales for their good games, is it?
yeah, I know there are not so many underrepresented genres out there, but still.

Jawmuncher

let's sum up what we've learnt form Stardew Valley success. If you make a good game in underrepresented genre, listen to what your potential buyers want, you don't really need media attention (as Stardew Valley got close to none, especially at the start) or advertising.
It's not what we were led to believe in the last year with indie devs complaining about not getting any sales for their good games, is it?
yeah, I know there are not so many underrepresented genres out there, but still.

Game success is always partly a lottery.

dex3108

Yeap Crysis 3 looks great (-CA)

13998283875_fe57919aa4_o.png
13995175332_ba30099929_o.png
13915382106_0a339ff967_o.png

Jawmuncher

The sad thing is that the gameplay doesnt hold up and it plays like the standard modern shooter.

I mean I see NYC overrun by plants and whatnot. A survival game with that graphics would be great, but the gameplay just feels boring.

I felt both Crysis 2&3 weren't bad. The best way to play then was as the predator. But they are definitely game I gave no intention of ever going back too.

Arthea

Game success is always partly a lottery.

it is true, there is some luck involved into this, especially with timing, as releasing your game whit too many popular games releasing will make you sell less.
But I don't see SV success as being of lucky kind, in my books it's deserved kind and gaming media be damned, who needs them anyway, right?
in before Stardew Valley being absent from any media GOTY nominations.

SV became popular, because Natsume was too stupid to release their own Harvest Moon on the PC in decades. I am sure people who liked HM on the SNES or N64, but became a PC gamer, wanted to play such a game again and then SV came and people buy it.

If Natsume would have released a Harvest Moon on the PC, it would also be successful I guess.

Jawmuncher

SV became popular, because Natsume was too stupid to release their own Harvest Moon on the PC in decades. I am sure people who liked HM on the SNES or N64, but became a PC gamer, wanted to play such a game again and then SV came and people buy it.

If Natsume would have released a Harvest Moon on the PC, it would also be successful I guess.

When was the last time they did harvest moon? All I ever see is rune factory these days.

Arthea

As I said many times before, I actually like SV more than any HM game, but then again I'm not a HM person, but RF one. Now if we would get RF on steam...
but that's not gonna happen, it can't happen anymore too, or so it would seem.

more to the point, I don't think SV is exactly like HM, it's inspired by it, true, heavily even, but it's partly own game too.
Not saying HM can't succeed on PC, it most likely would.

When was the last time they did harvest moon? All I ever see is rune factory these days.

there are grandtotal 6 RF games, there are something like 30 HM games, I think you are confusing those two.

Knurek

Natsume doesn't own Harvest Moon.
I mean, they own Harvest Moon the trademark, not Bokujou Monogatari the game.
You'd have to ask Victor/Pack-In-Video/Marvelous why they didn't deem worthy of supporting PC.

Arthea

You'd have to ask Victor/Pack-In-Video/Marvelous why they didn't deem worthy of supporting PC.

honestly, all situation with HM/Story of Seasons and RF seems too complicated atm, do we even really know who owns what and why, or do we speculate?

Knurek

honestly, all situation with HM/Story of Seasons and RF seems too complicated atm, do we even really know who owns what and why, or do we speculate?

Not sure what's complicated about it?

Natsume Inc (not the same as ナツメ株式会社, Japanese Natsume) owns the Harvest Moon trademark.
They also published most of Bokujou Monogatari games stateside. Games that were developed by Pack-in-Video. Which was later merged into Victor. Which was later renamed Marvelous. Which has an American branch called XSEED.
Marvelous decided it doesn't want to share with Natsume Inc anymore, decides XSEED will publish Bokujou Monogatari in States. As Story of Seasons, since the HM has been trademarked by Natsume Inc.
Simple.

Jawmuncher

As I said many times before, I actually like SV more than any HM game, but then again I'm not a HM person, but RF one. Now if we would get RF on steam...
but that's not gonna happen, it can't happen anymore too, or so it would seem.

more to the point, I don't think SV is exactly like HM, it's inspired by it, true, heavily even, but it's partly own game too.
Not saying HM can't succeed on PC, it most likely would.

there are grandtotal 6 RF games, there are something like 30 HM games, I think you are confusing those two.

There are like, 3 HM's released for every RF.

Hmmm, I guess the Rune Factory games get better marketing. I always hear about them more than HM or whatever the series name is now.

Arthea

Not sure what's complicated about it?

Natsume Inc (not the same as ナツメ株式会社, Japanese Natsume) owns the Harvest Moon trademark.
They also published most of Bokujou Monogatari games stateside. Games that were developed by Pack-in-Video. Which was later merged into Victor. Which was later renamed Marvelous. Which has an American branch called XSEED.
Marvelous decided it doesn't want to share with Natsume Inc anymore, decides XSEED will publish Bokujou Monogatari in States. As Story of Seasons, since the HM has been trademarked by Natsume Inc.
Simple.

part of quantum theory is simpler
but if that's your definition of simple, I'll take your word for it

Oh. I see.

What i just wanted to say is, if someone would have released Rune Factory or a normal Harvest Moon on PC, they would also be successful I guess.

Arthea

not sure how relevant this is to our discussion if at all, but I read an article about Stardew Valley and it has total sales number at 550K, so, if about 490-500K of those are on steam, gog and hb had about 50-60K sales. If those numbers are correct, that's less than I would think gog sold and steam is a monster, yeah.

edited: how absentminded of me, HB sales count for steam sales too, so 50-60K for gog then.

You know how it is with Japanese publishers and PCs. It's only recently they have come around to the fact that PCs aren't exclusively outlets for nekomimi preggo nurse orgy fetish games.
Blame NEC and their PC-9801 machines which were all but built with VNs in mind

I still insist on an issue of it more being not a thing in Japan than outright being a hentai machine, but it's probably mixture of two.
They are overcoming this lately, though. We only need Atlus and Gust to see the light and Sega get a grip on what we want finally.

edited: and Falcom get back to PC game development.

Knurek

Oh. I see.

What i just wanted to say is, if someone would have released Rune Factory or a normal Harvest Moon on PC, they would also be successful I guess.

You know how it is with Japanese publishers and PCs. It's only recently they have come around to the fact that PCs aren't exclusively outlets for nekomimi preggo nurse orgy fetish games.
Blame NEC and their PC-9801 machines which were all but built with VNs in mind

Yeap Crysis 3 looks great (-CA)
Looks very nice. Crysis 2 was an immense disappointment, so I'm a bit weary.
j7BvplX.png

Was not aware MGSV had so much DLC. Only suits, poses and MP characters/maps though which make them totally non-essential.
Still feels weird after all these years when I think how all of those unlocked by playing in the past. The times we live in.

Ludens

Banned
Looks very nice. Crysis 2 was an immense disappointment, so I'm a bit weary.

j7BvplX.png

Was not aware MGSV had so much DLC. Only suits, poses and MP characters/maps though which make them totally non-essential.
Still feels weird after all these years when I think how all of those unlocked by playing in the past. The times we live in.

On PSN there's a "bundle" for the new dlc packs too:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/it...dle'/cid=EP0101-CUSA01154_00-MGOCOMPLETEBUND1

missing on PC (when the first skin bundle was released on Steam too).

Anyway you are right, 19€ of nothing. The tuxed was the classic outfit present in every MGS you could unlock by doing some tasks in the game, now is a paid dlc. I'm pretty sure this is Konami's fault, anyway, and not Kojima's, since in the launch trailer we saw some of those skins, and you can actually unlock other skins in the game. Konami simply told Kojima "We need to sell something as DLC, so cut what you can", this is the result.
A note: pretty sure the final move for Konami will be releasing a GOTY Edition before closing the servers three months later XD

the third case in Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is garbage. Also, I really dislike how poorly the game handles accusations. I rarely feel comfortable accusing someone of a crime because often there simply isn't enough evidence to support accusing anyone, let alone the supposed true culprit of the crime.

I'm still enjoying it enough, I'll wrap up the last 3 cases before the week is over

The game is very good, I think the awesome thing is how you can "re-work" accusations by doing the linking thing, using your evidences to jail even innocent people. Anyway I played it on PS3, that version is horrible, spent half the time on loding screens (there was also a bug in a case, I couldn't open a case to retrieve an evidence, I think it was the case with botanic garden).

the third case in Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is garbage. Also, I really dislike how poorly the game handles accusations. I rarely feel comfortable accusing someone of a crime because often there simply isn't enough evidence to support accusing anyone, let alone the supposed true culprit of the crime.

I'm still enjoying it enough, I'll wrap up the last 3 cases before the week is over

fenners

That sucks :( I enjoyed Infinity on PC so much that I ended up building quite a collection of figures because I like having them on display and the codes unlocked content for the PC version. Scanning figures is a cool novelty but I quickly abandoned the console version because I prefer having the content selectable within the game. I'll probably now just stop playing because I don't think that my save data will transfer to console and I'd rather not have to keep scanning figures to play. At least I'll save money :p

Yeah, my daughter's been playing Disney Infinity on my PC, avoiding arguments with my son playing it on the 360, and they both got to use the figures... Dropping PC support for new figures/DLC sucks.

The game is very good, I think the awesome thing is how you can "re-work" accusations by doing the linking thing, using your evidences to jail even innocent people. Anyway I played it on PS3, that version is horrible, spent half the time on loding screens (there was also a bug in a case, I couldn't open a case to retrieve an evidence, I think it was the case with botanic garden).

Well, I had it on the PS3 through PS+ but just about every review stated that was the worst version so i held off. i'm playing it now as it was added to Games with Gold and that version seems fine part from a 30 fps cap and some pretty bad tearing in the roman bathhouse.

I think it's pretty good but, yeah, I think they leave things a little too grey for me. I never go into into leveling an accusation thinking i really nailed it, almost always i feel like im just taking a wild guess at who im sending to jail for the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom