• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know man. Dark Souls gets pretty repetitive after the 4th playthrough.
I have a friend who played bloodborne and someone asked him if she should get bloodborne a he looked at her dead into the windows of her soul and with complete seriousness told her "nah, it gets kind of boring after the 3rd playthrough and theres nothing to do in the chalice dungeon after you beat the hidden boss." How do i know he was serious? Once she bought the game he got a little upset and told her that she wasted her money.

The fourth case of Crimes and Punishments was both surprisingly short and straightforward. Wonder if different folks led development on different cases within the game because this was like almost the complete opposite in almost every aspect to the third case, which was not only a mess but also somehow tomb raider.

KingKong

I guess I appreciate that Stardew Valley just lays out the grind in front of you and doesn't hide it, but it's baffling to me how many people want to go through it for 30+ hours. Sure it's addictive but so is any f2p iphone game that's designed the same way

I very rarely play through games more than once unless it's pretty damn good.

I guess I appreciate that Stardew Valley just lays out the grind in front of you and doesn't hide it, but it's baffling to me how many people want to go through it for 30+ hours. Sure it's addictive but so is any f2p iphone game that's designed the same way

enUc4Tu.gif

Name me one mobile game that plays like Stardew Valley and I'll go buy it right now.

Grief.exe

I have a friend who played bloodborne and someone asked him if she should get bloodborne a he looked at her dead into the windows of her soul and with complete seriousness told her "nah, it gets kind of boring after the 3rd playthrough and theres nothing to do in the chalice dungeon after you beat the hidden boss." How do i know he was serious? Once she bought the game he got a little upset and told her that she wasted her money.

I'm getting too old to try to approach discussions with gamers logically, you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

Have you missed the Harvest Moon series since SNES?

So I only play with a controller on my tv so i cant use a wired headset :(

Anyone have any feedback on this logitech one?

Wireless headsets seem to be very rare compared to wired, and none that arent no-name are in the less than 100$ CDN range.

r3n4ud

Wireless headsets seem to be very rare compared to wired, and none that arent no-name are in the less than 100$ CDN range.

That's the one I have and I really like it. Really comfortable, nice sound, and the mic is pretty decent. I mean, I'm not recording an album of anything, so the mic works great for gaming. The bass leaves something to be desired, but for me it's a non-issue.

I use the Sony Gold Headset that also works with all my other machines between the 3.5 jack for my XB1 and Wii U and the wireless adapter that works with PS3/PS4/PC. You can just download the Razer surround sound program and get pretty good headset surround sound for free, too.

It works on all my consoles and wirelessly on PC so it's pretty great

Jawmuncher

The MP Arena community of Ark has actually gotten pretty big. Pretty cool of them to make it accessible without buying the full game and for free.

I read it and can't see a difference to regular ARK: SE. Why?

Regular ark is more about surviving and building bases for long term. This is just for the arena MP which is faster paced.

Phinor

Name me one mobile game that plays like Stardew Valley and I'll go buy it right now.

I've tried so many of the highly recommended mobile games and they rarely manage to hold my attention more than few minutes. No, not rarely, they never hold my attention, just about every one of those games is about very boring grinds. All they do is consume your time for very little satisfaction. You go through the same cycle over and over to get more points to do the cycle slightly more efficiently next time. Now, you can say most games are like that but I rarely have that feeling when playing "real" games. It just feels so artificial with mobile games. There's no effort to make the games better, deeper or more interesting because you want to keep that stupid little game loop going.

I was afraid Stardew Valley would feel like one of those grindy mobile games but so far it hasn't and I'm 8.. no, wait, 14 hours into the game already. I'm actually usually not a fan of these types of games but Stardew Valley for whatever reason has hooked me.

What I would recommend on mobile platforms are board game adaptations. There are some truly excellent games out there with more coming seemingly every week now.

Sarcasm

Be careful you can get an annoying ticking sound. Other then that mine was great.

Went back to wired though.

I use the Sony Gold Headset that also works with all my other machines between the 3.5 jack for my XB1 and Wii U and the wireless adapter that works with PS3/PS4/PC. You can just download the Razer surround sound program and get pretty good headset surround sound for free, too.

It works on all my consoles and wirelessly on PC so it's pretty great

Cool i didnt realize it was PC compatible, i will look into this one too.

Got good reviews on Engadget :) http://www.engadget.com/products/sony/playstation/gold/wireless-headset/

That's the one I have and I really like it. Really comfortable, nice sound, and the mic is pretty decent. I mean, I'm not recording an album of anything, so the mic works great for gaming. The bass leaves something to be desired, but for me it's a non-issue.

Awesome thanks for the feed back, will probably get one of these 2. Not too worried about sound quality as long as its not horrible, i mean I am just gaming.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Indie Gala "Indie Mosaic" Bundle

Pay only $1 and Get these 3 great games!

War in a Box: Paper Tanks (STEAM)
Hot Pinball Thrills (STEAM)
School Bus Fun (STEAM) + :tradingcard:

Pay only $2.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 14 Steam Games!

About Love, Hate and the other ones (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Aeon Command (STEAM) :tradingcard:
Musaic Box (STEAM)
Yumsters 2: Around the World (STEAM)
Orbital Gear (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
The Mysterious Cities of Gold (STEAM)
Jerry McPartlin - Rebel with a Cause (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Agricultural Simulator 2012: Deluxe Edition (STEAM)
Industry Giant 2 (STEAM)
Hero of Many + OST (STEAM)

https://www.indiegala.com/mosaic

The MP Arena community of Ark has actually gotten pretty big. Pretty cool of them to make it accessible without buying the full game and for free.

You don't find that this Early Access game that's paid spunoff a single game mode into a standalone Early Access game that's free?

Grief.exe

I'm happy with my free Shadow Complex through the Epic launcher but it's good that they're bringing it to steam.

I remember there being some rumblings of always online DRM associated with the Epic Launcher. I didn't have the chance to confirm that myself, someone in the thread will likely help me out.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if Epic will put Paragon and Unreal Tournament (when it's done) on steam as well.
Could go either way, guess it would depend on if the steam cut offer's anything to them. I wonder if it helped smite out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
via wario64

Shadow Complex @ GDC
‏@shadowcomplex
@DORE135 We expect the game will be released for PS4 and Steam in May!

Cool. I'm happy to pay for it (again) so I can have it on Steam. Hopefully the bring in a few Steam features like achievements, cloud saving, etc. (Normally I'd say "trading cards" here but after the recent market changes I give literally zero fucks about them.)

Namek

Neo Member
Cool. I'm happy to pay for it (again) so I can have it on Steam. Hopefully the bring in a few Steam features like achievements, cloud saving, etc. (Normally I'd say "trading cards" here but after the recent market changes I give literally zero fucks about them.)

I understand your reasoning behind the decommission of Idle Master, but having used it to get $100+ in card sales, it's still weird to see that statement from its creator. :p

dave is ok

aztek is ok
What was Valve's reasoning for those changes?

Having to grab my cellphone to authorize a 5 cent transaction seems a little ridiculous.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I understand your reasoning behind the decommission of Idle Master, but having used it to get $100+ because of its use, it's still weird to see that statement from its creator.

Don't get me wrong, I myself earned a bit over $600 selling them since trading cards were first unveiled.

But just in the past week I've played Hitman and Stardew Valley each with cards selling in the $0.15-$0.25 range (obviously more for foils) that I can't really do anything with. If I put them up for sale, I have to hedge my bets against how quickly I think they'll go down in price in 15 days time. If I get it wrong, I've got to wait another 15 days. I guess I could keep them and buy the rest I need to craft badges, but that's never really been my thing. I can keep them around to trade with my friends or give away to people that want them, but even then without the authenticator they'll have to wait several days for the trade to go through.

A 15 day wait to sell trading cards turns out to be a pretty effective way for me to stop caring about them all together.

What was Valve's reasoning for those changes?

Having to grab my cellphone to authorize a 5 cent transaction seems a little ridiculous.

that they don't have to deal with any more unauthorized transactions ever again, reducing their customer service needs.

It's a bunch of fuckery. I get it if it were for like +$3 stuff but let me sell my fucking .06 cards without having to have my dna verified dammit

jshackles

Like, ideally Valve would create a "relist" function on marketplace items (like Enhanced Steam has) that wouldn't trigger another 15 day waiting period. So I could list my cards for the normal price and in 15 days if the price is too high I could re-list them for the going rate without having to wait another 15 days.

Either that or let me just indicate "hey, I'd like to sell this on the market" and the item would be pending (with no price) for 15 days, after which I'd be able to set a price and sell it normally.

Doing it either way makes too much sense, so I don't see Valve doing that any time soon.

so... when does xcom enemy unknown end? i've been playing it since last week, 19 hours so far according to steam, and while the combat and gameplay are amazing and i'm still enjoying it, it's starting to wear me down a little. it doesn't seem to have any narrative progression whatsoever, or just a feel of progression in general. as a result, i have no idea how far along i am. could be halfway, could be still the beginning, could be nearing the end. i have no idea.

Jawmuncher

so... when does xcom enemy unknown end? i've been playing it since last week, 19 hours so far according to steam, and while the combat and gameplay are amazing and i'm still enjoying it, it's starting to wear me down a little. it doesn't seem to have any narrative progression whatsoever, or just a feel of progression in general. as a result, i have no idea how far along i am.

I played a bit and this was my biggest take away from it. Just feels like a forever sort of game. Which isn't bad but I was expecting a bit more in terms of progression.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Valve's endgame is to have everything running autonomously so that Steam is never imperiled by the weakness of flesh. Imagine it, a system that manages and maintains itself, using algorithms to make decisions.

All watched over by machines of loving grace.

Mivey

so... when does xcom enemy unknown end? i've been playing it since last week, 19 hours so far according to steam, and while the combat and gameplay are amazing and i'm still enjoying it, it's starting to wear me down a little. it doesn't seem to have any narrative progression whatsoever, or just a feel of progression in general. as a result, i have no idea how far along i am. could be halfway, could be still the beginning, could be nearing the end. i have no idea.
The game always tells you what you need to do. There should be a list of bulletins somewhere in the HQ, I think on the "world" display.
Or, maybe you are playing the Long War mod. Are you sure you didn't install the Long War mod?

Arthea

Valve's endgame is to have everything running autonomously so that Steam is never imperiled by the weakness of flesh. Imagine it, a system that manages and maintains itself, using algorithms to make decisions.

All watched over by machines of loving grace.

I imagine that's how valve already works, modbots and autobots and bots everywhere while people play games and party.
I'm kinda envious

Ludens

Banned
Like, ideally Valve would create a "relist" function on marketplace items (like Enhanced Steam has) that wouldn't trigger another 15 day waiting period. So I could list my cards for the normal price and in 15 days if the price is too high I could re-list them for the going rate without having to wait another 15 days.

Either that or let me just indicate "hey, I'd like to sell this on the market" and the item would be pending (with no price) for 15 days, after which I'd be able to set a price and sell it normally.

Doing it either way makes too much sense, so I don't see Valve doing that any time soon.

Yeah, this is very crappy, also when you activate an authenticator, you need to wait seven daysto properly sell your items. So, when you will be able to sell TF2 Batman items in example, if you won't have an authenticator enabled, you will need to wait 7 days, when the price will be much, much lower.
Same for the sale: if a sale leak ok, you just activate an authenticator so you can sell cards, otherwise you will get screwed and that's it.

Also another big minus is Steam is much slower since I activated the authenticator. Everytime I access my activity page, Steam says "validating login data" or something like that, loading my badge page takes 1 or 2 secs, when before this auth thing it was istantly available.

Waiting on top of Email confirmation was a huge pain, so I gave my number. It's a lot quicker but selling +10 cards today I gotta say, bulk confirming at least should be the minimum Valve thinks about comfortable usability. This can't possibly be the end-state of card business. They gotta see the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom