• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Same here, I don't get it...

Edit. Ahh I see, it has to do with "poor" treatment of old games. To be honest, Nintendo is the only few ones that actually treats their old games fine, at least their emus are pretty accurate. I don't know what they expected.

I think it's more how Ninty is offering these titles to the consumer; weren't the intial wave of GBA games for 3DS eShop mediocr-ly recieved?

Ozium

saw some posts back that reminded me about Dark Souls keys and I checked my email and saw it was sent 2 hours ago.. it's a code you have to enter into the golden joystick site by adding it to your cart and then using the code they gave you

but when I enter the code it says it's not valid or something

:/

Soulflarz

Banned
saw some posts back that reminded me about Dark Souls keys and I checked my email and saw it was sent 2 hours ago.. it's a code you have to enter into the golden joystick site by adding it to your cart and then using the code they gave you

is your billing zip in the UK?

Salsa

Nintendo has such freakishly high standards for pitch perfect emulation that they are just now releasing SNES games on the N3DS and going very slow at it even tho they could have been making bank a while ago on fanboys

this dude worked on a game that emulated NES games but with a shit ton of audio bugs and distorted audio that just now months after release got patched

what is happening

"took everybody to church"

what

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Use a proxy to set your IP location to some place in Europe (I used Belgium).

sadblob

No Dark Souls coupon here
2NAybC7.jpg

Salsa

What issues did you have with the Mega Man Legacy Collection?

it's emulation is worse than whatever Nintendo put out on the VC

tons of audio issues since August, on a game that half the people likes for the music.

also had freezes and performance issues on some platforms

got patched almost a year later

it's $29.99 on the 3DS

everyone clapping at this dude complaining about Nintendo selling a 100% working version of a NES game when he did the same thing except it didnt work right

fallout

it's emulation is worse than whatever Nintendo put out on the VC

tons of audio issues since August, on a game that half the people likes for the music. Got patched almost a year later

it's $29.99 on the 3DS
Hm, that sucks. Still, I think Cifaldi has a good attitude toward the preservation of old games, even if the execution was apparently off the mark a little.

Salsa

Hm, that sucks. Still, I think Cifaldi has a good attitude toward the preservation of old games, even if the execution was apparently off the mark a little.

sure, whatever. but dont act all indie "BOO CORPS" high and mighty when you take 7 months to patch a fucking audio bug

hey you know how Megaman worked better than in the collection? If I just downloaded a ROM from the internet

GaussTek

I think it's more how Ninty is offering these titles to the consumer; weren't the intial wave of GBA games for 3DS eShop mediocr-ly recieved?

Well, actually, those GBA games were never sold on the 3DS eShop, they were only offered to the "ambassador" 3DS owners, and I think that they didn't sell them precisely because of that, they missed some of the basic features other VC games offered (and that was because they weren't emulated titles, they used real hardware BC), so, they remained to ambassador owners only (but those eventually released on Wii U).

Salsa

Well, actually, those GBA games were never sold on the 3DS eShop, they were only offered to the "ambassador" 3DS owners, and I think that they didn't sell them precisely because of that, they missed some of the basic features other VC games offered, so, they remained to ambassador owners only (but those eventually released on Wii U).

like I said their standards are stupid high

I actually wish they released more stuff, with the possibility of bugs or whatever, for a better price with cross-buying

but nope they take it really seriously

yet this dude says they just downloaded them from the internet and sold it to you

what a clown

Ozium

is your billing zip in the UK?

Use a proxy to set your IP location to some place in Europe (I used Belgium).

I did use vpn for uk and I can't even enter a postcode because it asks for a zipcode and when I enter letters it says PLEASE ENTER ZIP CODE as if I am in the USA

edit: fixed it, cleared the cache and then added an address to the account so it would just show up during checkout... got the steam key!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres ome anonimous people on steamgaf now that are dabbling in Marvel Heroes, theres a free hero coming this weekend y'all

Degeldeacuario ‏@Genoshaleader10 9m9 minutes ago
Free Daredevil Hero token , this Saturday and Sunday on @MarvelHeroes YAY

Better than a kick in the balls I guess. Actually DD is alright and he's a review with lots of new skills and animations to go with the netflix show...im actually surprised they are giving him away because of that, but then I remembered "oh wait, they want you to buy costumes"

MUnited83

For you.
like I said their standards are stupid high

I actually wish they released more stuff, with the possibility of bugs or whatever, for a better price with cross-buying

but nope they take it really seriously

yet this dude says they just downloaded them from the internet and sold it to you

what a clown
Standards are stupid high? Wut? Emulation on Nintendo devices...isn't very good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also what the fuck at this cosplay, looks like a game screenshot

jdprwmbczqp4bgjujfpa.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah a lot of VC stuff is pretty inaccurate emulation which is why I did the whole Famicom thing in the first place. The only good representations VC offers are handled by M2.

Salsa

the thing to complain about on the VC is prices and the archaic lack of cross buy

focus on that shit, which is mental

Salsa

NVM the 3D classics that cost basically the same as VC titles and are straight up enhanced

M2 / Arika and all, but Nintendo sells it

GaussTek

I never had a single issue with it

my most played game on my 3DS is Mario Picross

Same here, not a single issue with VC games. Can you guys make an example? (a game, etc, that has issues?).

Edit. Hell, most games allow you to output to their original resolution and scale, even Wii VC games can output to 240p.

M2 does a great job on emulation even more so than Nintendo themselves. The Wii U has issues with N64 and SNES games looking much darker compared to the Wii VC versions.

Frank would have a much stronger case if MMLC was bug free and Capcom didn't terminate the contract with his company to make it so.

mp1990

Banned
Its terrible innacurate for the most part. Not what I would call very high standards in the slightest.

I've heard that N64 emulation on WiiU is pretty problematic, with lag issues and washed out graphics, though, to be fair, I never had any problems when playing SNES games on it, so I'm not going to swear to this.

One reason that makes me opt for emulating older games on my PC most of the times is the lack of cross buy. That really gets under my skin, Nintendo needs to get on that asap if they wish for people to jump in the NX wagon.

EDIT: also, the SNES games in the 3DS are pixel perfect, something pretty rare to see, so you can't really say they're lazy with the ports.

Tizoc

I hate how I can't swap the A and B buttons when playing some classic games on the 3DS.
I mean friggin' PSVita lets you do this with PSP and PSOne games.
It's a freakin' option; options aren't a bad thing.
I know to many it is a minor complaint, but when you play dozens of game with a certain button layout, not being given the option to play a game to your usual layout gets on the nerves.

I was making a joke about someone doing a bad job at something and then giving a talk complaining about other people doing it better

Aaaah yeeees. Now I get it. Well, it's kinda ironic indeed that the one having such a speech is responsible for an innacurate and mediocre port.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Same here, not a single issue with VC games. Can you guys make an example? (a game, etc, that has issues?).

Edit. Hell, most games allow you to output to their original resolution and scale, even Wii VC games can output to 240p.

Well we have stuff like this for N64/NES/GBA games imposed by Nintendo:
There is some unacceptable amount of input lag on N64 emulation which causes any timing based thing to be adjusted to or miss timed frequently.
SNES is okay it's not bad but it's not great either.
GBA games on the otherhand are handled by M2 which are actually great aside from darkness filter.
NES games have input lag and don't scale properly leaving it a blurry mess.

So the solution is to hire M2 for emulation needs for the most part if they can't make a proper emulator themselves.

Balthuk

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I checked out Mega Man Legacy Collection on steam and for a minute I was excited that I could play such classic games I have missed so easy. Then I saw the reviews. It's a shame, it really is.
I mean if that is their answer to the demand for old games besides emulation , damn..

Well for the most part there are pretty accurate emulators for the SNES, NES, PSX and a few others and the rest are usable but not very on point. N64 emulation has been pretty crap forever for example.

GaussTek

Well we have stuff like this for N64/NES/GBA games imposed by Nintendo:

There is some unacceptable amount of input lag on N64 emulation which causes any timing based thing to be adjusted to or miss timed frequently.
SNES is okay it's not bad but it's not great either.
GBA games on the otherhand are handled by M2 which are actually great aside from darkness filter.
NES games have input lag and don't scale properly leaving it a blurry mess.

So the solution is to hire M2 for emulation needs for the most part if they can't make a proper emulator themselves.

Ahh, alright, so it seems N64 on Wii U is the most problematic. Still better than what most other companies do with their classics (but that's just my opinion). And there's still the N64 VC on Wii, which was almost perfect in my experience (but yeah, so weird that a lot weaker system can handle those games better).

Anyway, I still think that comment from the Mega Man LC guy wasn't very smart, considering the situation of that game.

I guess its similar to the Sega Megadrive Games on Steam, where they just downloaded the roms from some website and released it on Steam like that.
Evidence please? It would be a very different way to how SEGA worked in the late 90s where Volume 1 of the SEGA smash Pack for PC contained a prototype ROM for The Revenge of Shinobi. That Prototype did not exist on the internet prior to this and in fact was only brought to wider attention in October 2009.

Though that case does speak volumes of the quality of compilations back then (literally including the wrong ROM) as does whatever one with Vectorman in (I think that was SEGA Smash Pack 2) having horrendous sound emulation.

Still, I never get why people get hysterical that the ROMs official publishers use are byte-for-byte identical. Why wouldn't they be? I know some people go down the angle of if there were no emulators written or ROMs dumped it would be unlikely publishers would do anything and they don't thank the emulator writers or anything like that (e.g. what could possibly go wrong?).

But yeah I'd love to see this GDC talk all the same as I am of the mentality of give me the ROM so I can put it through an emulator with some settings, which is why I liked that humble neo geo bundle a while back (install the DRM free games and there is a ROM easily found). I feel Mega Man legacy collection has it's heart in the right place but the performance leaves a lot to be desired.
edit: Frank Cifaldi is saying it should be online 30 days after the end of GDC.

EDIT: also, the SNES games in the 3DS are pixel perfect, something pretty rare to see, so you can't really say they're lazy with the ports.
You can switch between 1:1 and 4:3. Some games are designed for one rather than the other (though given they were played on 4:3 TVs they should all be designed like that...the egg shaped Moon in Chrono Trigger DS is a fine example as that port takes the graphics 1:1 when they were designed for 4:3, it looks round on Wii VC) though 4:3 on a low resolution screens (like DS and 3DS) is not a pretty sight so accuracy be damned sometimes...

I'm pleased they moved on from the NES which is not 1:1 (something to do with crapping the overscan area and stretching) unless it is Ultimate NES remix (which is kind of false advertising).

Dr Dogg

Remember when Frank Cifaldi spoke to Jeremy Parish at US Gamer about Digital Eclipse's new initiative to make 'The Criterion Collection of gaming' starting with Mega Man Collection? Couldn't even get correct scaling and PAR right for the common 1920x1080 display resolution and brought all their audio issues with them from the Backbone Entertainment days. And that was just for starters.

Got to the beginning of year 3 in Stardew Valley. Got my Statue of Perfection and 28/40 achievements including the "Full Shipment" one. Feels good, man.

I probably won't get all the achievements, like beating that twin-stick shooter game, but there are still a few more things I want to do in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom