• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just received a friend invite from someone who only has f2p games, and hasn't been online for 192 days. is that perhaps one of you guys, or should i decline the invite? sounds fishy, but if it's someone from steamgaf then no problem.

Deques

This is a closer alternative. multiplayer beat em up, pixel art

I cannot believe that I still haven't started playing it yet. Does it have online co-op yet?

i just received a friend invite from someone who only has f2p games, and hasn't been online for 192 days. is that perhaps one of you guys, or should i decline the invite? sounds fishy, but if it's someone from steamgaf then no problem.

DECLINE

I was away on vacation with my PC on, I came home to the joy of learning that the DOW2 Necron Lord DLC was free for a limited time, then to the disappointment of finding out I missed the deadline.. only to see that my PC automatically purchased and downloaded the free DLC, somehow.

I think Steam has gained consciousness..

Arthea

BTW I was playing some of this Lost Lands: Mahjong f2p game, I kinda like it, don't judge. As far as I can see it's not pay to play.

oh yeah, I'll take this possibility to remind that I no longer accept friend requests with private profiles, so if any I declined was a steamgafer, I'm sorry. You still get on that exclusive friend list, even with private profile if you PM me on gaf.

CryEngine 5 details, video

image_cryengine-31229-1805_0010.jpg
image_cryengine-31229-1805_0017.jpg

Also two trailers, features & showcases.

Vlad

The music is pretty good yeah.

I still haven't played or bought the second game. From what I've gathered it's not nearly as good, so I'm waiting for a big sale or an inclusion in a monthly bundle.

Eh, it's sort of hard to pin down. I don't know if I'd call it "bad", and if the first Hotline Miami didn't exist, I'm sure that people would have loved it just fine, but yeah, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first game.

The common complaint is that the levels design leans more towards large open areas as opposed to the sequences of smaller rooms in the original. This gives the game a wholly different feel, and not in a good way. Instead of the "burst in a room, murder some guys, take a breath, repeat" rhythm, it's more "spend a lot of time using the zoom feature to scope out the far corners of the room to make sure you won't get blown away as soon as you walk too close to someone you didn't even see a second ago".

This also ends up putting way too much emphasis on the ranged weapons, which honestly was never HM's strength. In the first game, the ranged weapons always felt like the thing you'd use as a last resort or in certain situations, as they'd often bring the entire level's worth of bad guys running. While I'm sure it's possible to beat most of HM2 with melee weapons, it doesn't feel nearly as doable.

Not only that, but there's the attempt to shoehorn way more of a story into the game. Now, I consider myself somewhat observant. I never really have an issue following the plots of the more "confusing" movies out there (except Primer... one of these days I'll figure out what the hell happened at the end of Primer), but there was a LOT of HM2's plot that I found to be intentionally obscure. It doesn't help that you only see a lot of the characters from above, so there's a lot of times where I wasn't even sure who's supposed to be who in the cinematics. After beating the game I went online and looked up a plot summary, and yes, while all the details were somewhat there, there's still no way I would have put all that together by myself.

Still, for all the negatives, I can't say I'd avoid it completely. The soundtrack is still fucking awesome, and there are still plenty of memorable moments and great levels. The last level especially takes some... interesting.. turns.

The ZE games all work off of one another so let's not mislead people and tell them they're fine just jumping into the third game when, if anything, ZE3 is incredibly reliant on elements from VLR given that it's much more of a direct sequel to it than VLR is to 999

Telling someone that you can just jump right into ZE3 reminds me of when EA said that you could just jump right in with Mass Effect 3 or Konami said that you can just jump right it with MGS4. Sure, you could, but good luck not feeling like you're missing something in the process

People played The Witcher 3 without playing TW2 or TW. People played ME2 without playing ME1. And people played VLR without playing 999. And I bet a good majority of those people enjoyed the games, from what I recall, because the storylines and dialogue were written in a way to explain the key events/concepts/plot devices that may be relevant from another game in the series.

Issues must be on your end. It's working just fine here.

Surprising!

Capcom'w Dungeons and dragons beatem up is on steam
It is a worthy alternative

Yeah, that's a solid game. Double Dragon Neon might work well too for a Scott Pilgrim substitute.

This is a closer alternative. multiplayer beat em up, pixel art

Also a good game, but no online co-op.

I cannot believe that I still haven't started playing it yet. Does it have online co-op yet?

Nope. They seem to have abandoned it.

People played The Witcher 3 without playing TW2 or TW. People played ME2 without playing ME1. And people played VLR without playing 999. And I bet a good majority of those people enjoyed the games, from what I recall, because the storylines and dialogue were written in a way to explain the key events/concepts/plot devices that may be relevant from another game in the series.

Surprising!

Yeah, that's a solid game. Double Dragon Neon might work well too for a Scott Pilgrim substitute.

Also a good game, but no online co-op.

Nope. They seem to have abandoned it.

It's coming soon :p

Endruen

GAF doesn't need me anymore, they've moved on. I brought you guys Disgaea to PC, my job here is done.

I've been spending most of my time lurking instead, thank you for asking about me though <3
You think so? Look what I just got to the mail:
That's because you gifted me Disgaea PC. You have to make everyone buy Disgaea #savetheprinnies

They have sent me the game with 3DS advertisement panflets, lol.

MUnited83

For you.
I got Disgaea 3 and 4 on Vita but my Vita is too messed up to play anything :(. They need to bring it to PC asap so I can just buy a GPD Windows instead and reform my Vita for good lol.

i tried playing a Disgaea game on the Vita that was given away via PS+ and i was bored within 90 minutes of it. I never played it again, it didn't strike me as very enjoyable. And i rarely quit games, i tend to stick them out even if i think they're mediocre

no, they didn't?
here what was in news back in January
http://steamcommunity.com/games/329490/announcements/detail/72423931273610009

unless there is something I don't know.

Wasn't aware they finally made an announcement. I wrote the game off as ever getting co-op patched in because it was 5 months after the last post that mentioned anything about it and the developer was not responding on the discussion boards and hadn't made any announcements since July.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/329490/announcements/detail/106181818630398603

Planned features like improved key configuration and online multiplayer have been delayed by extensive work on Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds: Overdrive, the PS4 port of PBBG, which diverted the development team from work on the PC version for some time.

We now expect key configuration updates by the end of this month, and online multiplayer later this year. Although these updates have been delayed, development has resumed and we are continuing development on these features as planned.

The upside of this is that with the PS4 version out soon, Mages is still committed to support all versions of PBBG for a long time.

After the silence and the PS4 version's release with no update, it seemed all but abandoned. Hell, the game has listed "co-op" as a feature incorrectly for more than six months now. So it really seemed like the plans got canned and they just didn't bother to post about it.

Glad to see it will eventually get online co-op though, as even the Vita version had it.

Endruen

i tried playing a Disgaea game on the Vita that was given away via PS+ and i was bored within 90 minutes of it. I never played it again, it didn't strike me as very enjoyable. And i rarely quit games, i tend to stick them out even if i think they're mediocre

It depends on each one I guess, I'm loving Disgaea PC right now (I tried it a bit before on my DS), and a friend beat Disgaea 4 on PS3 some time ago and said it was awesome, so I though I should buy Disgaea 4 for my Vita. I think portability suits this saga a lot.

<3

you're right, I was foolish to think my job was done.
also disgaea 4 is the best one :)

GUIS DID U BUY DISGAEA YET!?!
Well, since it's the last one, I suppose it is, but I've been told things about it from my friend and it looks so good that I just couldn't resist. I'm not playing it yet, I will beat Disgaea PC first, then we will see.
And if Disgaea 5 gets a reedition too, I might get it.

It depends on each one I guess, I'm loving Disgaea PC right now (I tried it a bit before on my DS), and a friend beat Disgaea 4 on PS3 some time ago and said it was awesome, so I though I should buy Disgaea 4 for my Vita. I think portability suits this saga a lot.

yea it does, I actually never bought disgaea d2 cause i was waiting for the vita port but that never happened. I don't really use my ps3 anymore so I'm waiting for a re release either on pc or ps4.

GaussTek

Only thing we need now is a Phoenix Wright Legacy Collection on Steam.
Hear that Capcom? That's the sound of an avalanche of digital currency coming your way.

You forgot Ghost Trick.:")

These are already on iOS (PWAA Trilogy + PWAA: Dual Destinies + Ghost Trick), so Capcom could make quick PC ports of them, but I still doubt it'll happen :(

Forget that, I want The Great Ace Attorney to be released in the west. It'll never happen though. =[

We'll have to wait 4+ years for an unofficial translation release, just like Gyakuten Kenji 2 lol :( (seriously, that was one of the best AA I've ever played, and that translation team did an splendid job).

Anyway, it's such a shame that The Great Ace Attorney isn't the one coming over here, considering it was directed by series creator Shu Takumi (AA6 isn't), he's the real deal ;_;

Endruen

Oh, yeah, I forgot to upload the screenshot:

Thanks a lot for the game, Hero Prinny. I just started playing seriously, but it's very good, and I'm having fun creating my friends as characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom