• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a bit of Outlast, glad to see that the game is indeed scary, love this stuff.
Played a bit of RotTR, the game sure is pretty, seems to be more of the same which is fine by me tbh since that's what I was expecting and I enjoyed the first game.

Anno

I know Killscreen isn't everyone's jam, but the thread that popped up about their Division review is a little disheartening. I wish anything that's even a little out of the ordinary wasn't immediately met with so many accusations of being too intellectual or some such nonsense.

Li Kao

Mmh, is the PC port of Disgaea good ?
I mean if I go by the screenshots it looks awfully blurry, should I play on PC or simply replay the PSP version ?

And did they fix the Steam beta bug ?

Edit - Wait is the screenshot on this page one of Disgaea PC ? It doesn't look bad.

Endruen

Mmh, is the PC port of Disgaea good ?
I mean if I go by the screenshots it looks awfully blurry, should I play on PC or simply replay the PSP version ?

And did they fix the Steam beta bug ?
The blurriness can be disabled. In my screenshots I disabled all the antialiasing stuff that IMO it makes the game look worse, I prefer the old pixel looking sprites, and it makes it run better. The PSP version is going to be the same, but this one has reworked close-ups and scenarios I believe.

EDIT: Yes, it's the PC version with the antialiasing disabled and it looks great. There are a lot of video settings to make it look like the older versions or enable the new upgrades. I can post some comparative screens if you want enabling and disabling the graphical settings.

Vlad

On an unrelated note, Downwell is $1,49€. Buy it.

Listen to this man.

It's an absolute steal at that price. Hell, it's a steal at $3. It's not a super deep game. You fall, you shoot, you stomp on stuff, but it's one of those games that just nails how good everything feels.

For those who don't know what the game is, you're falling down a series of vertical levels, can only shoot down, and can stomp on most enemies. The game starts to really get fun when you start getting good at comboing. You see, whenever you shoot (which can only be done in mid-air), you get a little boost. Not enough to fly upwards, but just enough to slow your fall. When you stomp on an enemy, your ammo refills. This means that with enough practice, you can keep a kill combo going by shooting to slow your fall enough to steer over and stomp on stuff, get the ammo refill, fall some more, slow down, stomp some, shoot at the enemies that can't be stomped, and so on.

The best part is that once you start getting combos over 10 or so, a positive feedback loop develops. Larger combos reward you with health refills and boosts to your maximum ammo. So doing long combos makes it easier for you to do even LONGER combos.

Also there are videos of the DARIUSBURST Sega DLC for Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier, and Galaxy Force II.

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/03/17/watch-the-dariusburst-cs-x-sega-arcade-shooters-dlc-footage/
Seeing this reminds me of when I first and last time I saw that Opa-Opa was a banned word here (it was a press release about the Mega Drive version coming to Wii Virtual Console).

Why are the iOS versions bad and why would they not work on PC?
Ace Attorney Trilogy: Some of the HD art is really bad, many animations have lots of frames missing (less frames=less to draw), they used the GBA music for the second and third games for no reason (the GBA has absolutely terrible sound output). I seem to remember hearing of more typos including sometimes having the wrong character labeled as saying something.

These were fixed in the 3DS release of Ace Attorney Trilogy (which is an odd position of making assets that are only slightly higher resolution than they were on GBA and DS).

More recently, Dual Destinies it seems even between 3DS and smartphone outside of graphics where 3DS at 400*240 is a big disadvantage.

Lain

Regarding Children of Morta and our missing install button (our as in, us backers that received keys):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330020/discussions/0/392183857620029313/#c392183857620842312
Apparently there is a permission issue since the game will be availabe only for backers. We are communicating with Steam to resolve this issue.

Now to wait for Valve to fix this.

Edit:
Oh, there were more posts:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/330020/discussions/0/392183857620029313/#c392183857622070722
We hope the downloads will be available on Thursday morning, pacific time.

DasFool

Ace Attorney Trilogy: Some of the HD art is really bad, many animations have lots of frames missing (less frames=less to draw), they used the GBA music for the second and third games for no reason (the GBA has absolutely terrible sound output). I seem to remember hearing of more typos including sometimes having the wrong character labeled as saying something.

These were fixed in the 3DS release of Ace Attorney Trilogy (which is an odd position of making assets that are only slightly higher resolution than they were on GBA and DS).

Ah, that's a shame. Didn't even realize Ace Attorney had its roots on the GBA of all things.

Capcom will probably get around to porting the series someday after seeing how DR1, DR2, and ZTD perform on Steam. More story-based games on the platform is always a plus.

Ah, that's a shame. Didn't even realize Ace Attorney had its roots on the GBA of all things.

Capcom will probably get around to porting the series someday after seeing how DR1, DR2, and ZTD perform on Steam. More story-based games on the platform is always a plus.

yeah, the first "true" DS AA game was Apollo Justice, though the final case in AA1 was DS exclusive and took advantage of the hardware in the process.

Salsa

Oh, yeah, I forgot to upload the screenshot:

7IQurH2.png

Thanks a lot for the game, Hero Prinny. I just started playing seriously, but it's very good, and I'm having fun creating my friends as characters.

the fonts

the discrepancy between the PS1 textures and the up-resed text and ground textures

my eyes

Salsa

Am I the only one that thinks Disgaea's 1 sprites still hold up pretty well?

it's besides the point, I hate when they rework and "smooth out" other stuff and leave those in their original state

I get why that would be a stupid amount of work and all but it's the fugliest thing you can do to an old game. makes me think of weird emulation filters

like the Shantae pause menu

Endruen

it's besides the point, I hate when they rework and "smooth out" other stuff and leave those in their original state

I get why that would be a stupid amount of work and all but it's the fugliest thing you can do to an old game. makes me think of weird emulation filters

As I said, it's just my setup, you can smooth the sprites but I prefer not to, or use the old backgrounds and font.

MUnited83

For you.

But you can just use the old ground textures instead if you wish. Using the new ones is optional.

So the Botanical Garden case in Crimes and Punishments seems to be where the game got the porridge just right. Good story, all of the motives are sound, but i was able to deduce who it was the first time around and i didn't feel like a garbo person about it. The 3rd case was easy to figure out, too, but it was also super short and not all that enjoyable.

I have the final case coming up tonight. Given the nature of these games, i wonder why Frogwares doesn't just go episodic with this series. It isn't as if these cases are really tying into one another and I could see them doing really well as a season of Sherlock cases instead of a retail package

Endruen

hoping that they fixed the jank and removed the weird save system and time limit bullshit.
I don't know what do you mean by jank, neither I understand your complain about the save system.
I believe the time limit is still there. If you just want to goof around without the time limit, Off the Record has a sandbox mode.

Salsa

If you hated those, that are supposedly better, why are you even considering buying 3?

it's different and worse for people who liked the first ones, so he might like it

I actually bought 3 on release and never finished it. just uninstalled it after a while

I was kinda having fun. I think something else just came out

but yeah it was far from as fantastic as 2 was

Endruen

it's different and worse for people who liked the first ones, so he might like it

I actually bought 3 on release and never finished it. just uninstalled it after a while

I was kinda having fun. I think something else just came out

but yeah it was far from as fantastic as 2 was
I don't know much about 3 other than it looks more serious than 1 and 2. I think the goofyness is an intrinsec part of the saga, and removing that takes its souls away.
I have only played 2 but, boy, I had loads of fun.

def sim

hoping that they fixed the jank and removed the weird save system and time limit bullshit.

It has an auto-save system, time limits are incredibly lenient, and it's still very much a dead rising game as far as movement/combat goes so whatever jank you're referring to is probably still there.

FloatOn

I just remember some wonky animations and hit detection

also it was just really tiresome in the button mashing

edit - fuck it, I'm passing on it. dark souls 3 is out soon

zkylon

zkylewd

i think u can switch all the upscaled sprites stuff off?

if not i'll probably just emulate it

Oh wow, they had the nerve for charge for this small handful of customization options? I don't know what I expected, but it was more than these few things.
i mean it's a bunch of stuff, it's just so ugly :T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom