• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, and sorry if it isn't.

Is there a website or a program that can tell me if I can upgrade parts in my PC/Laptop without replacing the motherboard?

Wanting to play PC games more often, but my laptop is pretty low end, and my computer is mid tier for gaming but runs them really slow for whatever reason (I probably suck at keeping them clean and healthy or whatever)

Basically, any advice for a newbie looking to get into PC gaming more? Doesn't have to be high end, console equivalent graphics would be fine.

Jawmuncher

Could you imagine a world where all games were on PC?

giphyouy9e.gif

Jawmuncher

Is there a website or a program that can tell me if I can upgrade parts in my PC/Laptop without replacing the motherboard?

Wanting to play PC games more often, but my laptop is pretty low end, and my computer is mid tier for gaming but runs them really slow for whatever reason (I probably suck at keeping them clean and healthy or whatever)

Basically, any advice for a newbie looking to get into PC gaming more? Doesn't have to be high end, console equivalent graphics would be fine.

You can also ask here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1094682

However someone in here should be able to lead you in the right way. I would myself, but to be honest I know just enough to get by really.

Try the tech support and I need a new pc threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377301

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094682

They know their stuff. Post your specs and budget, I'm sure someone will guide you.

orochi91

They aren't going to.

It's going to be like how the PS3 version of Trine ran at 1440p. There's going to be a few smaller games that run at 4k, and that's about it.

That would neuter the entire point of a PS4.5, where 4K gaming seems to be the focal point of that rumour.

I just don't see AAA games running at 4K on a console, at least at this point in time, and especially at an affordable price.

Could you imagine a world where all games were on PC?

It would look nothing like that. Even with every game on PC, the standard entitled PC gamer would find something to bitch about or complain about, guaranteed. You could make one of those BINGO cards like they do for E3 and such:

No 4K Support
30 FPS lock
No Arbitrary Resolution support
No VAC so online is full of cheaters
No KB/M support
No Achievement support
No Controller support
60 FPS lock
No VR Support
No Mod Support
Developer too active in patching
Developer not active enough in patching
Game costs too much
Game is on the wrong service
Microtransactions
Day 1 DLC
Pay to Win
Free to Play
No Co-op
Too focused on co-op
Bad textures
Requires top end HW
Doesn't make good enough use of common hardware
Not optimized
etc.

Potato. Masher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR-a35sxLg
You don't have to emulate it 100% or at all, but the guys cover some core reasons why they favored certain parts over others when building their "console killer" PC with the target of running games as well or better than you'd get if you bought a PS4.

Here's the problem with Sony and Microsoft suddenly thinking this...

...was a good idea, publishers and, by proxy, developers will not take advantage of modular consoles.

Even if Sony and Microsoft start making modular consoles or iterative upgrades, publishers will not risk alienate existing consumers that own the base versions of the PS4 or Xbox One. Triple A games cost too much money to make and they need to sell to as large an audience as possible to make their business model feasible. Triple A games will always be made for the lowest common denominator in mind.

I sort of get why Microsoft and Sony want to go this route but if people wanted that experience, they would be PC gamers.

Vamphuntr

Here's the problem with Sony and Microsoft suddenly thinking this...

...was a good idea, publishers and, by proxy, developers will not take advantage of modular consoles.

Even if Sony and Microsoft start making modular consoles or iterative upgrades, publishers will not risk alienate existing consumers that own the base versions of the PS4 or Xbox One. Triple A games cost too much money to make and they need to sell to as large an audience as possible to make their business model feasible. Triple A games will always be made for the lowest common denominator in mind.

I sort of get why Microsoft and Sony want to go this route but if people wanted that experience, they would be PC gamers.

It's a bit similar to the N3DS/3DS situation I would think. 99% of the games would work on both but the 4.5 would run games better and at a better resolution and also better VR support. For the casual player it changes nothing but for the hardcore it forces them to buy the better version so Sony get more money per player this way. If you want the full experience you would need the 4.5 and PSVR.

That thread went into fantasy land a few times already. People expecting this to have a high end new generation GPU in it for an affordable price are going to be disappointed.

Also how would this not piss off retailers as well as existing and brand new console owners? Retailers suddenly have hundreds of thousands of existing units in stock and Sony announces the PS4.5, Microsoft the Xbox Two...do you then have product you can't move sitting on your store shelves? Product you have to move at a loss? Will Sony or Microsoft reimburse retailers or buy back unsold stock? The margins for retailers are already razor thin on hardware, it's why so many have gotten on board with used games.

If you're a console gamer who just bought the older version of the PS4 or Xbox One, expecting to get years of use out of the device, how happy are you going to be learn your shiny new device is now obsolete.

That just seems like a path fraught with peril.

It's a bit similar to the N3DS/3DS situation I would think. 99% of the games would work on both but the 4.5 would run games better and at a better resolution and also better VR support. For the casual player it changes nothing but for the hardcore it forces them to buy the better version so Sony get more money per player this way. If you want the full experience you would need the 4.5 and PSVR.

That thread went into fantasy land a few times already. People expecting this to have a high end new generation GPU in it for an affordable price are going to be disappointed.

Handhelds are significantly less expensive than consoles. Hardware refreshes already exist in consoles (thins and slim versions have been coming out since the PS2 era) but an iterative improvement? Wouldn't it have to be significant to get people to jump on board in the first place? But then maybe something as asinine as the stuff you see in the digital foundry threads (like grass gate in GTAV) would be enough to get someone to buy an "upgrade".

Ludens

Banned
Sony is doing a PS4.5 with 4k suport and half the games on the current PS4 can't manage 30 fps.
Can't wait for "PS4 Remasters".

Jawmuncher

Didn't the side loading one only work with the first model Genesis? Not like it matters because the first one is obviously the best anyway. Also lock-on technology was cool and I wish more games used it besides sonic and knuckles.

Side loading worked with the second model of the genesis as well.

It's my birthday tomorrow.

Posting this today in case I'm off in a different plane of existence temporarily.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please wish Grief.exe a happy birthday via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.
-Remember to kill the prinnies.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

This War of Mine -- MB-53DD4C5FA4AB3FC9 - Taken by kurahador. 36 entrants total.

t1458415212z1.png

Jazz573

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please wish Grief.exe a happy birthday via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.
-Remember to kill the prinnies.

LMAO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greenlight for a prequel to An Octave Higher

yuraya

Omg @ that thread about Microsoft hiring school girl dancers for a GDC event.

Wtf is even going on at these events???

At least people can still rely on the comfy couch.

No guarantees in comfy couches.

Consoles are trying so hard to be like PCs..soon you'll see console gamers slouched over their desks fiddling around with a M/KB to play Uncharted.

Anteater

i don't really oppose to the idea, i like the thought of being able to buy a new ps4 at the end of the generation that runs the early games really well or whatever, so it's not like bayonetta's trapped forever in the shittiest framerate forever and ever and ever

and i still don't get why ppl hate kotaku so much, they've had their mistakes and there's a lot of filler content (u can just filter that out tho) but ever crescente left they've been a much better site that probably does more investigative journalism that the rest of the gaming sites combined.

I actually like it, for several reasons:

I can buy a console with better tech down the line, if I'm going to pay $350bucks I don't want 10 year old hardwares. For people who "don't care" and "can't tell" resolution and framerate, there may now be cheaper (maybe?) older generation/used consoles in the market for them to buy.

Games with crappy performance we got may benefit from the extra power. Although they shouldn't be running crappily in the first place it's still the reality we live in, at least now I can have a choice to run them with better hardware outside of begging the companies to fix it or begging them to release it on PC/Buying/begging for remasters a generation later.

but I'm one of the people who like the idea of steam machines too.

KingKong

Hey I said style, not an exact copy. Thats the thing about the rest of these products, I have no desire to play a regular Crytek game, why would I want a VR one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom