• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pkj8cP6.png

Also, I'm reaching the home stretch I think \o/

My man!!! Great job.

Dr Dogg

Or you could infer that consoles are moving towards the phones and tablet market. Still built and specced by someone else with a walled garden eco system. All Sony and Microsoft need to do is release incremental OS updates that cripple the old hardware that push the user towards the new shiny version and they will be like for like with phones. All of them precious little DRM boxes that you kind of but compatibility and preservation in the hands of someone else.

If consoles upgrade every 2-3 years imagine how much you'll need to upgrade your PC just to keep up, and the literally thousands in upkeep.

Goodbye PC you had a good run.

Vamphuntr

If consoles upgrade every 2-3 years imagine how much you'll need to upgrade your PC just to keep up, and the literally thousands in upkeep.

Goodbye PC you had a good run.

Ha ha. You think the PS4.5 will have an 980Ti in it? :)

That can't even run all games maxed in 60 FPS at 4K. I think it justifies spending on a gaming PC instead. At least you can shop for parts and upgrade what you want/need.

Annubis

That can't even run all games maxed in 60 FPS at 4K. I think it justifies spending on a gaming PC instead. At least you can shop for parts and upgrade what you want/need.

Well, 750Ti are dirt cheap and pretty powerful.

I'm just being silly is all.

That said, I need quad SLI Titan XYZs to match PS5.5 performance in a few years.

rtcn63

Can't see them doing it. Minor, minor upgrades possibly, but a PS4.5 realistically would be something like a PS4 + VR bundle.

I'm on the fence for this. Sounds like a really great deal and the game looks fun but at the same time I never really did play Borderlands 2 much and I am trying to cut down my collecting purchases and saving my purchases for games I'll actually play.

Technically OG Sin is on steam because you get it with Sin "episodes." Ritual Entertainment reformed as a business entity and owns Sin. They made a package called Sin Gold 2 years ago and it is available on gog. I believe they would like it to put Sins Gold on steam but Valve insists that some things are censored like they were with the original Sin and they don't want to compromised or something goofy like that. Also I think the company exists in name only as an ip holder for Sin and has no one working full time.

Neato. Maybe I will buy SiN Emergence: Episode One today. I hope you are right.

Neato. Maybe I will buy SiN Emergence: Episode One today. I hope you are right.

Its pretty good. I played it on release. Its definitely a product of its time, i.e. mid 2000s look at this cool new thing called a "physics engine" sort of way.

Its very much in the vein of HL episodes. All meat, no gristle, a very compact, dense slice of FPS.

Alavard

As pointed out by a mod (a few?) in the thread, Kotaku's hardware reports have all been on point.

Not only hardware, but they're pretty good with these kind of rumors in general. They reported on the rumor of Ubisoft skipping Assassin's Creed this year and were also one of the first outlets to report that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was being rebranded as Final Fantasy XV a couple years ago.

Bought The Pre-Sequel for 4.80€. Kinda expecting it to be featured in one of the next Humble Bundles though.
And I haven't even played the first two games either...

As pointed out by a mod (a few?) in the thread, Kotaku's hardware reports have all been on point.
It might have a truth to it but I am pretty sure that Sony would not call it PS4.5 because that is just stupid.

It has to pretty much be a new console because upgrades are like the thing you want to ignore with consoles right and it would cost so much that they would have to charge alot of sell with ALOT of loss.

So it might pop up in 4~ years depending on how technology develops but I dont see it happening any time soon.

zkylon

zkylewd
it makes a lot of sense to make upgradeable consoles nowadays

not the greatest of experience for ppl buying them, specially since late in the gen things like the last of us really showed that developer craftmanship can make a big difference even with a really aged console, but it feels like this generation might've been a bit rushed if they're thinking out loud about this stuff already

like, i bet they had this conversation during the previous gen, it's just that the new iphone every year world we live today is pretty different than when the 360/ps3 were launched

i don't really oppose to the idea, i like the thought of being able to buy a new ps4 at the end of the generation that runs the early games really well or whatever, so it's not like bayonetta's trapped forever in the shittiest framerate forever and ever and ever

and i still don't get why ppl hate kotaku so much, they've had their mistakes and there's a lot of filler content (u can just filter that out tho) but ever crescente left they've been a much better site that probably does more investigative journalism that the rest of the gaming sites combined.

Or you could infer that consoles are moving towards the phones and tablet market. Still built and specced by someone else with a walled garden eco system. All Sony and Microsoft need to do is release incremental OS updates that cripple the old hardware that push the user towards the new shiny version and they will be like for like with phones. All of them precious little DRM boxes that you kind of but compatibility and preservation in the hands of someone else.
Similarly to Xbox One.Five, this PS4,5 only sounds ridiculous in a time vacuum of ten years ago.
I agree with your phone comparison. And when looking through that glass, some things make more sense.
- no exotic architecture with much lower R&D costs
- proven, well-known hardware which devs can faster and easier exploit
- possibly even using x86 from now on forwards as an overarching strategy for native backwards compatibility
- no risky adventures in premium-price consoles to justify 6-7 year lifespans, instead settling at a more "comfortable" ~400$ spot with faster turn-overs

In the end, I can see it happening. Console business has changed a lot with digital sales, indies, cheaper entry day 1. So changing the platform business philosophy could be successful. I do agree to an extent when I see people saying "consoles are becoming more and more like PC" and "why not just go to PC gaming instead altogether?" but I believe there are plenty more reasons why some chose consoles as their primary gaming outlet. This will not change much in that.

it makes a lot of sense to make upgradeable consoles nowadays

not the greatest of experience for ppl buying them, specially since late in the gen things like the last of us really showed that developer craftmanship can make a big difference even with a really aged console, but it feels like this generation might've been a bit rushed if they're thinking out loud about this stuff already

like, i bet they had this conversation during the previous gen, it's just that the new iphone every year world we live today is pretty different than when the 360/ps3 were launched

i don't really oppose to the idea, i like the thought of being able to buy a new ps4 at the end of the generation that runs the early games really well or whatever, so it's not like bayonetta's trapped forever in the shittiest framerate forever and ever and ever

and i still don't get why ppl hate kotaku so much, they've had their mistakes and there's a lot of filler content (u can just filter that out tho) but ever crescente left they've been a much better site that probably does more investigative journalism that the rest of the gaming sites combined.

they had like 8 years between generations, nothing about this screams rushed.

what it does scream is that both major console makers had poor foresight. they both played it really REALLY safe with their console specs to ensure that they didn't take a loss and made rather underpowered machines in the process. and now that there appears to still be a hunger for consoles, they can't shit themselves fast enough to try to make up for that mistake

Phinor

It's by Patrick Klepek though and his sources are usually sound.

Klepek reporting this is why I'm certain this is something Sony is at least actively planning and evidently now asking developers about it. That doesn't mean it will ever release though. E3 might be interesting, again.

Klepek reporting this is why I'm certain this is something Sony is at least actively planning and evidently now asking developers about it. That doesn't mean it will ever release though. E3 might be interesting, again.

I dont think they would shit e3 up with both a new machine and VR talk. It would be a bad look

zkylon

zkylewd
they had like 8 years between generations, nothing about this screams rushed.

what it does scream is that both major console makers had poor foresight. they both played it really REALLY safe with their console specs to ensure that they didn't take a loss and made rather underpowered machines in the process. and now that there appears to still be a hunger for consoles, they can't shit themselves fast enough to try to make up for that mistake
ok u used a different word to say the same as me -__-

i don't feel this is a terrible thing tbh, it's not like they're screwing over early adopters and the consoles just can't run the games currently or whatever. it's not ideal but it doesn't feel like the worst thing ever unless there's like a generational difference with the ps4.5 which i'm guessing they won't do since that'd be really sucky

and like i said i'm sure they've considered this during the ps3/360 generations too

Hektor

I don't imagine upgradable consoles making the news this e3. Or next for the matter.
Only thing i cold think of is that they're just planning how to handle the next generation, what basically would be the PS5.

orochi91

I don't imagine upgradable consoles making the news this e3. Or next for the matter.
Only thing i cold think of is that they're just planning how to handle the next generation, what basically would be the PS5.

I'm still not sure how they're going to cram a 4K capable APU into the PS4.5 and keep it affordable.

Does AMD have any APUs planned over the next coupled years that will make PS4.5 a reality?

Corpekata

Banned
I'm still not sure how they're going to cram a 4K capable APU into the PS4.5 and keep it affordable.

Does AMD have any APUs planned over the next coupled years that will make PS4.5 a reality?

They aren't going to.

It's going to be like how the PS3 version of Trine ran at 1440p. There's going to be a few smaller games that run at 4k, and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom