• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Did you chew on it? Modern controllers are just not sturdy enough these days, not like they used to be. Not that I would know that, of course, just what I heard from a friend.

The early DS4's apparently have utter shit built quality, with the sticks practically falling apart after a bit of use. I have one of the later ones (Destiny PS4), and it's held up alright so far.

Phinor

fuck , the rubber on my DS4 is peeling off.

Is the Xbone controller any better ?

Even without rubber on my DS4 left stick, I think it's the better gamepad but that's one of those things you just have to try yourself. Xbox One feels clumsy to me and every Xbox One pad I've seen so far is slightly crooked, they don't lay flat on a table. Very robust though and no issues like early DS4 sticks had.

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446262&p=49965552&viewfull=1#post49965552

Couple of interesting things in the latest Steam client beta.

1. LAN peer downloading.

There's some initial work there on what looks like a LAN downloading feature. There's now an extra field in the message sent to other Steam clients on the local network (previously used for in-home streaming):

optional uint32 download_lan_peer_group = 16;

Two new console variables and their default values:

@nDownloadLANChunkCacheSizeMB = "128"
@nDownloadLANPeerGroup = "0"

2. Game details page moving to HTML

Currently the game details in the library detail view are rendered by Steam's VGUI system. The layout of that page is specified by the file resource/steamrootdialog_gamespage_details.layout. In the beta, there's a new file steamrootdialog_gamespage_details2.layout which replaces all the VGUI controls with a single web view. There's a new file of localisation strings public/steamhtml_english.txt which contains strings like: "appdetails_tab_friends" "FRIENDS"

My guess would be that the Steam client will now locally generate HTML pages to replace the existing VGUI; if they were generated on the server, there'd be no need to keep the localisation strings in the client. They'd also have to be locally generated so that they'll work properly in offline mode.

I'm a bit puzzled as to what the point of doing this is, though.[

(Thanks to the SteamDB guys for making it easy to look at upcoming stuff in Steam: https://github.com/SteamDatabase/SteamTracking/commit/b726f2036a9a83a14b7e02796366fee6b683ab32 )

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Large Professor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Downwell #2 -- MB-615C407AA97432A3 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 11 entrants total.
Downwell -- MB-7043251BFD255D99 - Taken by Endruen. 17 entrants total.

t1458420468z1.png

but it doesn't actually affect you right? you're not upgrading and whatever system you own will still run whatever they released

if ps 4.5 don't exist you wouldn't really care, just like we did with ps3 with all those games running at poopy framerate/sub hd

pretty much, as long as I can continue to run new games on it I'm perfectly fine. I don't need my games to run on 4k or anything, I don't even have a 4k display anyway. Also i don't need 60fps, all i ask is for a playable framerate and NO SCREEN TEARING! honestly i find screen tearing worse than frame drops, its so damn distracting.

rtcn63

finished dead space

time for dead space 2!

I always roll with the
plasma cutter, javelin, and contact beam. The javelin is so fun even if it's not at all practical in most situations. The contact beam does full damage right away, and the upgraded alt is useful for elevators.

Mecromancer was probably the most fun class for me in Blands 2. Perks with a nice helping of risk/reward and an action skill with great utility make for a fun mix. Probably the best solo class as well. Of course soloing Blands 2 is a gruelling endeavour.

Sadly, Deathtrap turns to shit at UVHM. But with the "close enough" skill Mechro is probably the easiest for a normal run.

Bl1 is really hard to play after 2, like seriously it's rough man.

I could deal if the ammo and money auto-collected.

I want to play KOTOR, but my PC starts making weird noises because of it running at 1000FPS lol

IIRC, Starcraft 2 had no vsync at the main menu and a bunch of people's cards fried beause of it.

xist

I always roll with the
plasma cutter, javelin, and contact beam. The javelin is so fun even if it's not at all practical in most situations. The contact beam does full damage right away, and the upgraded alt is useful for elevators.

Personally I'd swap out the
Javelin Gun for the Ripper. I underestimated the Ripper at first because I was worried about the range but It's an amazing weapon choice and made my Zealot run much easier.

I played through all three Dead Space games through January and February this year and loved them....1>2>>>3

Dr Dogg

Sadly, Deathtrap turns to shit at UVHM. But with the "close enough" skill Mechro is probably the easiest for a normal run.

I take my hat off to anyone who can manage one than one playthrough of Borderlands let alone multiple. Granted 2 is massively more accommodating for it.

She just wants you to make her whole. I quite like a lot of the physiological tricks Dead Space 2 does to fuck with the player.

zkylon

zkylewd
is that the end of 1? or is that 2? i can't remember

man i miss dead space, that's probably one of my favorite franchises from the last generation in terms of everything, the very puzzly combat with "mining guns", the diegetic ui stuff, going back and forth bioshock-style in that huge, creepy industrial ship, the awesome armor design

i didn't play dead space 3 and i didn't even like 2 all that much, so it feels like forever since i played it

Anteater

so this save game in borderlands don't look anywhere close to where I've left off

i'm not making excuses

is that the end of 1? or is that 2? i can't remember

man i miss dead space, that's probably one of my favorite franchises from the last generation in terms of everything, the very puzzly combat with "mining guns", the diegetic ui stuff, going back and forth bioshock-style in that huge, creepy industrial ship, the awesome armor design

i didn't play dead space 3 and i didn't even like 2 all that much, so it feels like forever since i played it

it's the beginning of 2!

Uraizen

Banned
I find it odd that preorders for quantum break still aren't up. Nor is more info on the whole Xbox one cross buy.

Not much to say, pre-order it on Xbone and get a key within a few days.

http://www.quantumbreak.com/windows10/

Hell, Killer Instinct launches in like 10 days and we got like no info on that.

Run S3 on your Xbone the day it comes out first to make sure your save transfers properly to KI on PC. Comes out the same day as S3, runs at only 60fps (duh), has plenty of resolution options, and that's all I know.

They are still offering themslves up in that Microsoft thread.

It reminds me of the AI in Dune 2 just sending these lone units to my base to be slaughtered by my turrets.

madjoki

I find it odd that preorders for quantum break still aren't up.

Windows Store doesn't support preorders.

It's still off. They mention retailers are offering the deal as well but no one makes a mention of it

At least Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BXR3YEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pre-Order Quantum Break and receive Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, the Xbox 360 game playable on Xbox One. In addition, customers who pre-order the digital version will receive the Windows 10 version of the game for free, downloadable at the Windows Store via a redemption code.

The download code for Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be emailed within two days of your order shipping. The redemption code for the Windows 10 version of the game will be delivered via an Xbox Live message 7-10 days post launch.

Salsa

regardless of it being the worst in the series I think DR3 is worth $15

the character models are great

dunno what that has to do with anything but its one of the first next gen lookin games

Jawmuncher

Dead Rising 3 worth $15? its on sale on steam. I played and loved the first two when they came out but I never had a xbone to play 3.

dunno what that has to do with anything but its one of the first next gen lookin games

Yeah DR3 is definitely worth 15 easily. I actually prefer it to DR2. Since it feels like a sequel more than DR2 did in my eyes.
The biggest complaint is much like DR2 and just how the series went, the time mechanic is less of a focus once again. I played like a typical DR game and had tons of time left on the clock.

Yeah DR3 is definitely worth 15 easily. I actually prefer it to DR2. Since it feels like a sequel more than DR2 did in my eyes.
The biggest complaint is much like DR2 and just how the series went, the time mechanic is less of a focus once again. I played like a typical DR game and had tons of time left on the clock.

Thanks for the replies, yeah Im not expecting anything mindblowing but how is the dlc? I think it comes with it.

Salsa

you cray

DR2 is incredible

I love it too much

It is done. What am I going to do with my life now though...

Teaa5Ve.png
gdCbYJ0.png

Every little usage of a community feature gives you XP but this mammoth task gives youuuuu... zilch.
Valve pls, give me at least a cool badge or something for bragging rights ( °_°)/

Jawmuncher

Thanks for the replies, yeah Im not expecting anything mindblowing but how is the dlc? I think it comes with it.
Never bothered with the DLC but never heard good things about it aside from the super ultra that PC didn't get.
you cray

DR2 is incredible

I love it too much

It's not bad, but it wasn't enough of a change up for me. Feels more like an expansion than a sequel. I would still recommend it to anyone, was just saying personally .

Dr Dogg

Teaa5Ve.png
gdCbYJ0.png

Every little usage of a community feature gives you XP but this mammoth task gives youuuuu... zilch.
Valve pls, give me at least a cool badge or something for bragging rights ( °_°)/

Well you've out discovery queued Stump. Knowing that should be better than any trinket Valve could bestow upon you.

Kaleinc

Banned

Teaa5Ve.png
gdCbYJ0.png

new game+

Go through every screenshot of every game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom