• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasFool

oceanhorn isn't bad

i'm kind of liking it

Oceanhorn isn't bad, it's just shockingly mediocre. Too much fetch quest nonsense in the back half, underwhelming items, forgettable bosses, etc. It does manage to capture a bit of that Wind Waker magic in the first half, though.

Anybody think Sony might join Microsoft and create a storefront of their own on PC to play their first party stuff if consoles are getting upgrades all the time?

Things are heating up and getting very interesting these days. E3 should be good.

Jawmuncher

Anybody think Sony might join Microsoft and create a storefront of their own on PC to play their first party stuff if consoles are getting upgrades all the time?

Things are heating up and getting very interesting these days. E3 should be good.

Uncharted with Mouse & Keyboard controls, what a time to be alive.

Anteater

One of us.

wirXNSF.gif

Oceanhorn isn't bad, it's just shockingly mediocre. Too much fetch quest nonsense in the back half, underwhelming items, forgettable bosses, etc. It does manage to capture a bit of that Wind Waker magic in the first half, though.

I'm not feeling it :/
It's not bad...just not that good.

it's not bad and it's not super good but I think it's done well enough at what it's trying to do

with that said I'm like 1/4 into the game and I got it for a few bucks, I think it's relaxing to play and there's nothing else quite like it so far on steam

until capcom port over okami

I wonder if everyone is going to quit the playstation/xbox if they are really going iterative consoles like everyone quitted the playstation 4 and moved to the wii u/pc when they started charging for online

if they do go the route of ps4.5 or w/e I know i won't be upgrading or anything, my ps4 is used only for exclusives. Sometimes for ps+ games but most of the offerings are pretty shit so I wouldn't really count them. I think the only ps+ offering for ps4 that I've really truly enjoyed a lot is Rocket League, the other games I've gotten from it I either stopped playing them after 2 days or never even give them the time of day cause I have no interest in them,

yuraya

I wonder if everyone is going to quit the playstation/xbox if they are really going iterative consoles like everyone quitted the playstation 4 and moved to the wii u/pc when they started charging for online

Its gonna be a tough pill for some to swallow but they'll get over it. Its not like they have a choice. Traditional console gaming is pretty much dead. There is too much fanboyism for people to be quitting. People will defend their favorite corporations no matter what. All those people who used to shit on PC for being complicated and upgradeable are now gonna preach about how great consoles are for doing it.

Backlogger

It's like people that say they are moving to another country if a certain person gets elected president.

I'm open to it depending on how they do it. Would be cool if the consoles were upgradable.

Let's face it though, I think the future of Xbox is basically just a budget Windows machine. My guess is you will eventually be able to play Xbox games on a PC or an Xbox. Games will just be have built in profiles for graphics settings if you are playing it on an Xbox machine.

gelf

It might be the final push to make me go PC only in the future instead of my usual PC + console setup. I hate upgrading hardware in general but if I'm going to be forced to I'll stick with the platform that's more flexible about it and also lets me downgrade my games to my preferences to get them to work on an old system.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Luna Online Reborn Closed Beta -- MB-7259F8636513B77A - Taken by goober

Durante

Hey SteamGAF, do play Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight if you like tight controls in action platformers, or great interconnected metroidvania-style level design, or gorgeous pixel art. (And I'm not someone who automatically calls all pixel art gorgeous, more like the opposite :p)

Heh.

Anteater

Its gonna be a tough pill for some to swallow but they'll get over it. Its not like they have a choice. Traditional console gaming is pretty much dead. There is too much fanboyism for people to be quitting. People will defend their favorite corporations no matter what. All those people who used to shit on PC for being complicated and upgradeable are now gonna preach about how great consoles are for doing it.

It's like people that say they are moving to another country if a certain person gets elected president.

I'm open to it depending on how they do it. Would be cool if the consoles were upgradable.

Let's face it though, I think the future of Xbox is basically just a budget Windows machine. My guess is you will eventually be able to play Xbox games on a PC or an Xbox. Games will just be have built in profiles for graphics settings if you are playing it on an Xbox machine.

yea people said they would move to wii u and pc back then when asked about what they'd do if sony start charging for online, but hey ps4 still selling a shit ton and it's the most popular system around here (I don't really have a problem with this)

It might be the final push to make me go PC only in the future instead of my usual PC + console setup. I hate upgrading hardware in general but if I'm going to be forced to I'll stick with the platform that's more flexible about it and also lets me downgrade my games to my preferences to get them to work on an old system.

well if you're going console+pc right now you are probably doing it for the exclusives and stuff, I'm not sure if it actually changes anything since you'll still be playing uncharted 4 at the res and framerate they promised, and you still get to play 3rd party games at uber res/fps on your pc

if they do go the route of ps4.5 or w/e I know i won't be upgrading or anything, my ps4 is used only for exclusives. Sometimes for ps+ games but most of the offerings are pretty shit so I wouldn't really count them. I think the only ps+ offering for ps4 that I've really truly enjoyed a lot is Rocket League, the other games I've gotten from it I either stopped playing them after 2 days or never even give them the time of day cause I have no interest in them,

but it doesn't actually affect you right? you're not upgrading and whatever system you own will still run whatever they released

if ps 4.5 don't exist you wouldn't really care, just like we did with ps3 with all those games running at poopy framerate/sub hd

As a twenty year old single male I think it's very hard to find a girl who's actually interested in free software. I've had girls jokingly ask to "Netflix and chill" but when I tell her that I don't use Netflix since Netflix requires proprietary software to stream content, they stop talking to me. And worse if they do stay they think I'm weird since I blocked google IP's in my host file and we can't even watch youtube. I can't ever seem to get girls to come over to my place and I can't text them either. Once I get their numbers since I've added customs roms to my phone and refuse to use sms since it's a security concern I require all of my friends to download a free and open source messaging app and I share with them my public gpg key so that we can verify that our conversations are secure. None of my friends are willing to do this. And I can't use sites like tinder since it's not only proprietary software but a major privacy vulnerability. How come it is so hard to find a girl concerned about software freedom. I feel like I'm going to be alone forever.

Btw the this reply is GPLv3. So feel free to use it however you want but please send you changes back to me.

Durante

I felt compelled to write up a Steam review for Momodora 4. It's not huge or particularly in-depth, but it might pique someone's curiosity:

I wasn't familiar with this series at all two weeks ago, but after playing Momodora III I knew I had to jump immediately into Reverie Under the Moonlight.

In the big picture, it's a well-executed medium-length Metroidvania-style action platformer. What really makes it come together are the tight controls, great interconnected level design, and a moveset in which all the possible actions complement each other very well. It uses a setup very reminescent of Dark Souls when it comes to save points, useable items and eventually warping, and these mechanics help to keep up the tension throughout.

Oh, and as someone who is indifferent to most pixel art, I still have to say that this game's art and animations are absolutely gorgeous and make the best of the medium.

Knurek

As a twenty year old single male I think it's very hard to find a girl who's actually interested in free software. I've had girls jokingly ask to "Netflix and chill" but when I tell her that I don't use Netflix since Netflix requires proprietary software to stream content, they stop talking to me. And worse if they do stay they think I'm weird since I blocked google IP's in my host file and we can't even watch youtube. I can't ever seem to get girls to come over to my place and I can't text them either. Once I get their numbers since I've added customs roms to my phone and refuse to use sms since it's a security concern I require all of my friends to download a free and open source messaging app and I share with them my public gpg key so that we can verify that our conversations are secure. None of my friends are willing to do this. And I can't use sites like tinder since it's not only proprietary software but a major privacy vulnerability. How come it is so hard to find a girl concerned about software freedom. I feel like I'm going to be alone forever.

Btw the this reply is GPLv3. So feel free to use it however you want but please send you changes back to me.

giphy.gif

Let's hope this giveaway goes down well.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Large Professor:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Downwell #2 -- MB-615C407AA97432A3 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 11 entrants total.
Downwell -- MB-7043251BFD255D99 - Taken by Endruen. 17 entrants total.

t1458420468z1.png

What's SteamGAF's opinion on secured credit cards? I'm 22 with no history so I'm looking to get one with a $200 line to start building.

And to keep this post on topic as well, cannot wait for Souls 3 to grace my PC at a glorious 1440p/60fps (hopefully it runs as well as 2 did so I can get at least 1440p on my 770).

I'll pray for you.

rtcn63

I got Primal to work, finally. Had to uninstall the drivers for the DS3 gamepad. (Luckily I'm using a DS4 now) Played for 20 minutes with no problems. Hopefully it'll boot proper from now on.

Salsa

I got Primal to work, finally. Had to uninstall the drivers for the DS3 gamepad. (Luckily I'm using a DS4 now) Played for 20 minutes with no problems. Hopefully it'll boot proper from now on.

remember to unsubscribe from Primal after listening to Kanye's album

Echoplx

Bro you didn't even link to the source code

voodooray

Throwing this out there:

ModBot said:
Instructions for voodooray:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (voodooray, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Planetary Annihilation -- MB-22EBD7D9648FD7AF - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 2 entrants total.

t1458496788z1.png

D3RANG3D

#fossworldproblems

himZD0M.gif

Corpekata

Banned
What's SteamGAF's opinion on secured credit cards? I'm 22 with no history so I'm looking to get one with a $200 line to start building.

And to keep this post on topic as well, cannot wait for Souls 3 to grace my PC at a glorious 1440p/60fps (hopefully it runs as well as 2 did so I can get at least 1440p on my 770).

Better off trying for a normal CC first, more useful, no money down, typically similar rates. Even at no history, there's likely to be something out there for you.

Secured is fine if no one will offer you one, or if you have some bad credit on record.

Don't worry, everything will be fine after the robotic overlords take over, true software freedom.

JarrodL

Pillars of Eternity path of the damned difficulty is no joke. Feels like I need a full party to win some encounters in the first act, and I only found 2 companions so far (+ "recruited" one extra at the inn).

Anno

Pillars of Eternity path of the damned difficulty is no joke. Feels like I need a full party to win some encounters in the first act, and I only found 2 companions so far (+ "recruited" one extra at the inn).

Yeah PotD can be a bit hard, but I certainly find it to be the best way to play the game. You can get I think 4 companions with little to no fighting right off the bat, though, and it would probably be advisable to do so unless you prefer hirelings.

Better off trying for a normal CC first, more useful, no money down, typically similar rates. Even at no history, there's likely to be something out there for you.

Secured is fine if no one will offer you one, or if you have some bad credit on record.

I got 0 credit and there's nobody I trust enough for a joint account. I might just bite the $200 down and do good to get it back later.

Corpekata

Banned
I got 0 credit and there's nobody I trust enough for a joint account. I might just bite the $200 down and do good to get it back later.

0 Credit doesn't mean you'll get rejected. Just means you won't get great terms, but all secured CCs have poor ones too, as they are aimed at people with poor credit more than people with 0. If you're a student a lot of banks offer student CCs that are meant to build credit without needing to secure them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I'm looking into a new gaming PC mainly because of the news. Can't see the point in paying to upgrade a console over upgrading my PC

0 Credit doesn't mean you'll get rejected. Just means you won't get great terms, but all secured CCs have poor ones too. If you're a student a lot of banks offer student CCs that are meant to build credit without needing to secure them.

I applied to Bank of America and Discover student cards, denied to both :(

I'll keep looking but if nothing pops up I'll probably just do the secured CC because I need credit.

Vamphuntr

Seems like banks are much scared to give CC now? When I was at university they were giving student CC to pretty much anyone. You would just sign the form with no check whatsoever. I'm in Canada though.

The Long Journey Home is a space exploration RPG with echoes of Firefly
he Long Journey Home is a “space exploration RPG” that promises to blend the gameplay of old classics like Starflight and Star Control with roguelike replayability, “in a procedurally generated, endless surprising living universe inspired by beloved modern science fiction shows like Farscape and Firefly.” That's an awfully tall order, and quite a shift away from the point-and-click adventures that Daedalic is best known for. But the teaser released today, and the screens that came along with it, look very promising.
The game promises “complex quests and moral dilemmas,” secrets buried on ancient worlds, and of course danger, danger, danger, everywhere you turn. And because it's procedurally generated, it will be different each time you play. The similarities to FTL: Faster Than Light are obvious, but it's the invocation of old-school games like Starflight, and the promise of “a space game that actually cares about character,” as writer Richard Cobbett put it on Twitter, that really lights my fire.
Telltale's Batman series begins this Summer

Firstly—and perhaps most importantly—the creative leads behind Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us are leading this first season. You'll also be pleased to hear that we can expect a few technological advancements under the hood of Telltale's increasingly stiff game engine.
IT'S HAPPENING.GIF
Here are those details, taken from the Telltale site:

Batman is the perfect character for the studio to explore in a Telltale series, giving the team the opportunity to dive deeper into the mind of the man behind the mask. Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.

Fresh interpretation of the universe set in current times, not tied to any existing iteration of Batman in games, film, or comics. Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended 'Bat-family,' (Robin, Nightwing, etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya. Telltale is looking to keep the villains more tightly under wraps until closer to the premiere.
Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.

The player's actions will help shape the Gotham that Bruce deals with during the day, as well as the criminals that Batman faces at night.

Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction. Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.

Like some other Telltale series, the game will be landing at M (Mature 17+) rating, and the cinematic approach will feel more akin to an R-rated film.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I felt compelled to write up a Steam review for Momodora 4. It's not huge or particularly in-depth, but it might pique someone's curiosity:

Great to see you praising the game. I loved it and the game deserves to be played by many more people.

Lords of Shadow dev MercurySteam making some kind of sci-fi game
MercurySteam made the respected Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and also its...less respected sequel. Still, it's a developer worth keeping an eye on: there was a lot of technical and artistic wizardry in that first game in particular. A few months after posting a mysterious teaser image on its website, the dev has replaced its entire site with a teaser for its mysterious new sci-fi game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom