• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Be warned that none of the DLC locations have fast travel. This isn't an issue in Dr. Ned, since it's small enough so as to not be a bother, and the Moxxi Arena as it's, well, an arena, but travelling back and forth in the other two campaigns is a royal pain in the arse.

Oh I've played through Dr Ned and General Knoxx on 360 but cheers for the heads up. Chances of me reinstalling it again let alone sticking with it unless press ganging some coop peeps to suffer with me are probably slim to none. Still got to press on with the base game of the Pre-Sequel but I burnt out on that one a little faster than the others.

You DLH members have keys for Trinium Wars and Pressure. Requires facebook likes and the DLH app to check you liked and there is also an hourly limit on keys it coughs out.

HOLY MOLLY!

vDyEXHB.png
I might have fallen off the wagon as far reading the massive amount of work Watch Da Birdie puts in (writing about every single Pokemon and up to #516 now) but here is an extract of what was said about Gardevoir, particularly was said about their...appeal...:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190131533&postcount=5734 said:
Gardevoir is very popular, but not in the same way Pikachu and Charizard are. While Game Freak embraces their popularity, and they appear quite frequently on box covers and merchandise, Gardevoir is popular in a different way, that dark, dirty secret Game Freak once tried to bury until around Generation VI when they finally embraced it, having it gain prominence in XY and ORAS and serve as a playable fighter in Pokken Tournament. Basically, a ton of folks want to have sex with Gardevoir. There's no other way to put it. I honestly don't blame Game Freak, I don't think Gardevoir was purposefully sexualized or they intended that to happen, but unfortunately it did. Googling Gardevoir is a minefield of every fetish on earth, basically, and some not from this planet---well, I won't take time to name them here. I remember when Gardevoir was just that cool Pokemon Wally popped up with at the end of Ruby and Sapphire and you thought, "hey that Ralts turned into a pretty cool Pokemon!". What went wrong? Who's to blame here? Is it harmless fun---is anyone really hurt by weird Internet folks wanting to make love to a Pokemon---or is it a dangerous obsession that is rooted in sexism and misogyny, and possibly ruins the family-friendly image of the series? Well, you could probably write an essay on Gardevoir and what it represents in a larger sense, but for now let's just forget all the weirdness and focus on the actual Pokemon without all the bizarreness.

Though Gardevoir has a very feminine appearance, it's actually 50%/50% in terms of gender ratio and I remember this weirded out a lot of folks and pissed them off too. It's kind of weird if you think about it, we have plenty of other Pokemon for example who have a "masculine appearance", but are 50% female, but nobody really says anything yet when it happens to the feminine Pokemon, people raise a fuss over it? Perhaps this relates to how in real-life, people seem more comfortable with women who eschew traditional gender roles than men who do the same? Either way, a lot of people have called for Gardevoir to be turned into an all-female Pokemon over the years but Game Freak doesn't seem ready to budge, though they sort of met them halfway in the middle as we'll see with our next Pokemon. There's another layer to the confusion when it comes to Gardevoir's Japanese name as it's known as "Sirnight" originally, which sounds quite masculine, though it can be interpreted as "saa, naito" (come, knight!) as well perhaps meant to represent Gardevoir as some sort of princess figure calling out for a knight.

Gardevoir's design seems to have possibly been inspired by the "anesama ningyou" (big sister doll) from feudal Japan, paper-craft dolls that elder sisters would craft for their siblings that were basically faceless, legless women dressed in beautiful kimonos---like said dolls, Gardevoir has a similar doll-like appearance with minimal facial features and seemingly invisible legs. Turns out that Gardevoir does indeed have legs, as can be seen in the show and the 3D games, which I actually don't like. It looks far cooler when it just looks like a floating ghost, and I find the legs to be pretty goofy and ridiculously skinny. So, yeah, if you didn't think Gardevoir was creepy before now you know it's basically a "real doll". Gardevoir also has somewhat of a submissive personality, which I bet 99% is the reason it's so popular as it's known to basically risk its life in order to protect its Trainer at all costs. I mean, Gardevoir is powerful and all, but I do get a sense it's one of those Pokemon who gives off a sense of wish fulfillment. I mean, any Pokemon would be cool to have, but most of the other ones have little quirks that indicate they're still basically wild creatures and not completely domesticated---then you have Gardevoir who will basically do anything you ask of it. Anything. Gee, why do so many folks have a crush on this Pokemon I wonder?
There is a lot more where that came from if you found that to be interesting reading.

Parsnip

Says: "The currently installed version of this driver is newer than what you are trying to install, aborting the installation". Only gives me an option to cancel.
In that case, you're going to have to uninstall your current PhysX drivers with "Add or remove programs" and install the old ones, then install the new ones back over them. I think you're basically just missing a legacy physx .dll file that *should* be added when you installed Alpha Protocol, but isn't because you already have newer ones, but AP won't run with those ones. For whatever reason. I had the same issues with Mass Effect 2 and Deadly Premonition.
Don't do this just yet.

Try the Legacy Physx driver first.

Anteater

I still 'need' to plough through the DLC in Blands 1. Might give it a look in sometime now that SecuROM has been gutted from them fully but I'm in no rush. Maybe when morningbus does the Blands stream my 'enthusiasm' might be rekindled.

have you already bought the pre-sequel? perhaps buying that will do!

oh just read the above, you already did

Can anyone help me?

I bought a Displayport-HDMI cable so I can connect it to my TV. Somehow every 10 minutes or so the screen goes black for about 1 second, then comes back.

Anyone knows whether that might be a driver issue (using the latest Nvidia Driver) or if the cable is broken? I tried that cable on all 3 display ports of the GPU.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Faeria looks pretty cool, as a guy that likes Hearthstone and Settlers of Catan.

C4rter

Can anyone help me?

I bought a Displayport-HDMI cable so I can connect it to my TV. Somehow every 10 minutes or so the screen goes black for about 1 second, then comes back.

Anyone knows whether that might be a driver issue (using the latest Nvidia Driver) or if the cable is broken? I tried that cable on all 3 display ports of the GPU.

I've had a similar thing happening when connecting my Fire TV via HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma TV. The signal was lost every few minutes. I googled and found out that I had to do a firmware update for the TV because he couldn't handle this specific HDMI Standard or something like that. I was running a Blu-ray player and a satellite receiver over HDMI fine for many years but the Fire TV (and the PS3 I guess as well as I've read online) had this issue.

I would check for a Firmware Update for the TV.

yuraya

IGN posted the pc settings in DS3

Texture Quality: Low / Medium / High / Max
Antialiasing: On / Off
SSAO: Off / Medium / High
Depth of Field: Off / Low / Medium / High / Max
Motion Blur: Off / Low / Medium / High
Shadow Quality: Off / Low / Medium / High / Max
Lighting Quality: Low / Medium / High / Max
Effects Quality: Low / Medium / High / Max
Reflection Quality: Low / Medium / High / Max
Water Surface Quality: Low / Medium / High
Shader Quality: Low / Medium / High / Max

Dr Dogg

have you already bought the pre-sequel? perhaps buying that will do!

oh just read the above, you already did

The Division is my shoot 'n' loot fix now!

Although I'm getting really tired of the template for side missions and encounters. And I love AssCreed 1! But they are pretty much the same 5 or 6 missions repeated ad nauseum for each district. While you don't climb towers you're still unlocking the objectives on the map in the way of discovering safe houses. Some of the side missions are a decent bit of fun and challenge as they pit you against a unique enemy combination with boss type characters to suit but the main story missions do this so much better with tailored level design as well. Dark Zone boss groups have been better but kind of inbetween from the couple I've seen so far.

For me so far it's fun but it's got its faults and some traditional Ubi Open World baggage I'm sure others will loath.

Though a new patch is up on Diablo III's PTR that will probably draw my attention away from everything else at some point.

I've had a similar thing happening when connecting my Fire TV via HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma TV. The signal was lost every few minutes. I googled and found out that I had to do a firmware update for the TV because he couldn't handle this specific HDMI Standard or something like that. I was running a Blu-ray player and a satellite receiver over HDMI fine for many years but the Fire TV (and the PS3 I guess as well as I've read online) had this issue.

I would check for a Firmware Update for the TV.

I did it but it has the newest firmware.
That version of the TV was released last october (Samsung UHDTV).

The thing is, from what I can see that I can connect it without any problems through HDMI, but with the Displayport to HDMI, it has the problems.

XShagrath

Looks like my PC problems from the other day were graphics-card related. I plugged in an old card that I found in my closet, and now I'm up and running again.

Went from a Radeon 7950 to a Geforce 560. :(

AAA review threads never fail to make me lose faith in humanity

This and FemFreq threads make me hate gaming side a bit more then usual.

Like holy hell, people are really invested in their favorite game getting 10/10, christ.

The FemFreq threads or anything about censorship make me wanna jam sharp objects into my eyes. At least, the mods are waking the GG ass holes en masse. So there's that entertainment value, but poor moderator's sanity D:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam Support said:
We are aware of the problem and are investigating the issue further.

This ticket is almost six weeks old now. It shouldn't take this long to detach unnecessary redists from an app.

Jawmuncher

How does this one differentiate itself from the other two moba shooters?

I don't really play MOBAs but the sci-fi aesthetic seems to be the main draw. That and apparently heroes will always be free and they're just trying to get money through card packs and Exp boosters and such.

I was enjoying the few matches I played in it.

S1n1st3r

Banned
I don't really play MOBAs but the sci-fi aesthetic seems to be the main draw. That and apparently heroes will always be free and they're just trying to get money through card packs and Exp boosters and such.

I was enjoying the few matches I played in it.

Oh so its F2P. I guess that explains the surge of interest in it. The other two are paid I believe.

JaseC

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the "Schoolgirl" Showdown Effect background I have in my inventory is worth ~36x more than the "Cop" background.

Jawmuncher

So Alan wake on Xbox One runs at 720p & is mostly stable at 30fps.

I actually think my PC could easily perform better than that. Since it's probably another case of the graphics basically being on low, or maybe even a case of the low on PC is still higher than the console (dying light was like that). Hopefully we hear more about those digital codes soon. Windows 10 store isn't the best, but I'm always down for a deal.

Pachimari

Can someone help me out find all of the bundle sites? I have no overview of it at all, and have missed out on a ton of bundles in past months. I know about HumbleBundle and Groupees.

How does this one differentiate itself from the other two moba shooters?

Are you talking about Battleborn and Overwatch? I don't think they're MOBA, but I don't really follow the games nevertheless.

Anyway, Paragon is like Smite but with full movement and targeting freedom. The game is fully 3 dimensional, compared to the regular isometric MOBAs or 2 dimensional Smite. It's a third person shooter/action MOBA.

9450d5b545.jpg

This made me pause for a good 3 seconds

Quantum Break, a game that is not quite popular on gaf, suddenly getting a lot of attention on the DF thread.
720p explains it.

Pachimari

Tales from the Batman is being made by the Tales from Borderlands team. Consider me fucking hyped

Yeah, I'm actually kind of excited too. But it's only because of the Batman premise, and that it is one of their better teams working on it. I didn't really like any of their prior games though.

Anteater

I wonder if everyone is going to quit the playstation/xbox if they are really going iterative consoles like everyone quitted the playstation 4 and moved to the wii u/pc when they started charging for online

Pachimari

Next month. This month is for early access and those who played in the beta (they have access now). The game is fully F2P though, this is just a exclusive access thing for a little bit.

Kind of like what some MMOs do.

Crap, right when I'm out travelling. But if it's F2P, then I guess I can try it out, even when I arrive back home.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I wanted to get into BL1, but the mouse movement always felt fucked up for me.

As for AAA game reviews, as long as it's a 7/10 it's fine. A 7 usually means functionality is there, I consider the last 3 points in a score to be pretty subjective.

JaseC

whats the definitive edition for borderlands 2? goty?

The GOTY Edition is as close as you're going to get. There's no bundle that includes every single bit of DLC in addition to the base game. There's also no Season Pass for the "second season" of DLC (the headhunter campaigns).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom