• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

It's basically confirmed then: The only way to enjoy proper handheld gaming with non idiotic touchscreen controls will be on PC. At least as a 3DS owner, I don't see myself buying a Franksteinian mashup of a cheap phone.

I'm not sure what you're talking about - if Sega didn't went third party, we would never have Valkyria Chronicles on Steam.

Their output when they were not third party was not only much better but it was more frequent, too. It's not even close, they're a skeleton of their former selves.

am i happy they're still around? absolutely. but boy do i wish they still had their studios and were pumping out amazing eccentric game after amazing eccentric game time and time again

MUnited83

For you.
It's basically confirmed then: The only way to enjoy proper handheld gaming with non idiotic touchscreen controls will be on PC. At least as a 3DS owner, I don't see myself buying a Franksteinian mashup of a cheap phone.

I still need to preorder that, but I feel like I might as well wait for the next iteration...not sure yet.

rtcn63

Lack of tactical buttons is what keeps me from getting into mobile gaming (I've tried, but like motion controls, I just don't enjoy it).

But I'm sure Ninty will have a supplemental regular-ish controller available for ~$50 that doesn't get packed in and rarely gets discounted.

No face buttons..? As if standard controllers weren't simple enough already.
I can't believe it. Will leave final judgement for when something's officially revealed.
Shame there is no video of a prototype in action to at least see what the experience should be like.

kagamin

Lack of tactical buttons is what keeps me from getting into mobile gaming (I've tried, but like motion controls, I just don't enjoy it).

But I'm sure Ninty will have a supplemental regular-ish controller available for ~$50 that doesn't get packed in and rarely gets discounted.

I don't mind touchscreen controls (don't really like them on platformers though which makes this a little sucky) but I really enjoy motion controls actually, motions controls are fairly enjoyable for me at least. :p

Nintendo tries to hard to innovate. Do they want us looking at the controller or the screen that the console is plugged into?

They just need to quit with all the wacky shit and focus on making good games.

rtcn63

Well for me, motion controls means wii waggle. I did like using PS move with Killzone 3. If it doesn't improve the experience (and at best only replacing it), it's generally not worth the hassle to me.

so with some Dark Souls III PC footage out now is the version good, bad, some issues?

The Giant Bomb stream I saw had lots of crashing issues. Playing a knight was the best way to avoid them. At the end they found a reproducible crash related to attacking a character.
Nintendo tries to hard to innovate. Do they want us looking at the controller or the screen that the console is plugged into?

Rest assured, Nintendo is capable of multitasking.

I kinda like it. I mean, whatever the NX is, it won't be my main gaming platform but if the controller does give a unique experiences, then I'm up for it.

Its probably both. Playing with just the WiiU gamepad without a TV was rather enjoyable.

madjoki

header.jpg

Ubisoft sale tomorrow.

def sim

I'm glad Nintendo is still doing their own thing. I have more than enough platforms with traditional controls.

Anyway, HBD Rhaknar.

so with some Dark Souls III PC footage out now is the version good, bad, some issues?

Some folks are running into crashes. The Giant Bomb stream had about four and, apparently, always under the same conditions. Using any class but the Knight is a gamble. They found out Jim Sterling has been running into those same issues, as well.

Others on twitch have been fine, so who knows what the deal is.

MUnited83

For you.
Thing is: how much time until whatever of their new gimmick is to stop being truly supported? Developers stopped caring about the 3D of the 3Ds really quickly( and even some nintendo games run like shit with it turned on), and the majority of great Wii U games are playable without the gamepad just fine...

Phawx

Hey fam,

This isn't Steam related but I'm happy with the result and want to share. I finally got around to putting a video together of my MAME bartop I built. For those that just want a very quick TL;DR, I've encapsulated all of the pertinent information in the image below:

If you'd like to see a few more pics, here is a link to an album of pics: http://imgur.com/a/BHEqx

And if you want to skim some of the video of my project, a link to the video of the whole build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpcMzy-PFo

Hey fam,

This isn't Steam related but I'm happy with the result and want to share. I finally got around to putting a video together of my MAME bartop I built. For those that just want a very quick TL;DR, I've encapsulated all of the pertinent information in the image below:

If you'd like to see a few more pics, here is a link to an album of pics: http://imgur.com/a/BHEqx

And if you want to skim some of the video of my project, a link to the video of the whole build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpcMzy-PFo

That's an amazing job you did there!

Thing is: how much time until whatever of their new gimmick is to stop being truly supported? Developers stopped caring about the 3D of the 3Ds really quickly( and even some nintendo games run like shit with it turned on), and the majority of great Wii U games are playable without the gamepad just fine...

in all honesty i think making the gamepad the primary controller was a big mistake, sure it works really well with some games like mario maker and pikmin 3 but there are so few of them that it doesn't really matter. Any time I'm given the option to use the pro controller I just go with that, its more comfortable to hold + doesn't die so quickly.

MUnited83

For you.
in all honesty i think making the gamepad the primary controller was a big mistake, sure it works really well with some games like mario maker and pikmin 3 but there are so few of them that it doesn't really matter. Any time I'm given the option to use the pro controller I just go with that, its more comfortable to hold + doesn't die so quickly.
To their credit, at least it was a lot more confortable to hold and lighter than i thought it would be.

The terrible low resolution screen and washed out colors though, what a bummer :/

The client? I don't remember as I always have Uplay installed. I find downloading games go as fast as your connection allows.
Yeah using the uplay client to download the division and its very slow for some reason, just did a update on steam and it used my full connection speed

Hey fam,

Nice

header.jpg

Ubisoft sale tomorrow.

Sweet, hope to complete my assassin's creed collection. Though I only have ~$12.

Total Total War War Hammer Hammer

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! We will sell you the whole axe but you will only need the EDGE!

That's a really neat project and it turned out pretty good, too! 370$ though, oof.
Impressive that you went for a full DIY project instead kits. The cabling, cutting is some good work. Neat.
You plan on setting it permanently against a wall or why do you want to keep the back open?
Everytime someone says fam a little kitty dies.
You don't want to kill kitties, now do you?

Some updates from the last Steamleak:

Steins;Gate - last updated 13 hours ago
Earth Defense Force - last updated 7 hours ago
Stranger of Sword City - a day ago
FFX/2-HD - 5 months ago
Phantom Brave - 5 months ago
Ray Gigant - 4 months ago
Code of Princess - a day ago
Everybodys gone the the rapture - five days ago

Eila

Some updates from the last Steamleak:

Steins;Gate - last updated 13 hours ago
Earth Defense Force - last updated 7 hours ago
Stranger of Sword City - a day ago
FFX/2-HD - 5 months ago
Phantom Brave - 5 months ago
Ray Gigant - 4 months ago
Code of Princess - a day ago
Everybodys gone the the rapture - five days ago

Wow, so Code of Princess is probably still happening? I guess Degica picked it up along with Umihara Kawase.

Hey fam,

That looks great! Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom