• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's okay to ask (don't know if it's against the rules - if it is, no need to say anything), where in the wild would you recommend?

I've only had a gaming PC for a few months so I'm still trying to find the best ways to save a buck on a lot of the games I missed out on.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

I would start in the B/S/T thread right here on gaf. https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117123&page=1

This guy has a copy for $5 here. https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198918616&postcount=15757

Giving away free stuff and things.
Shame about Slain! hope the dev can pull it around and get it sorted.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SockyJohnson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-297E875AE6D1F05B - Taken by jtb. 1 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. -- MB-16D2B222BE5AC576 - Taken by mp1990. 2 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator Anniversary Edition -- MB-EA8D910C1BE1BE15 - Taken by Endruen. 6 entrants total.
Dungeon Souls -- MB-E344DFCC53505D1A - Taken by dot. 18 entrants total.
Bedlam -- MB-567E466B176D1DD1 - Taken by Haunted. 11 entrants total.
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- MB-E586C246B8B68E74 - Taken by WinterDemons. 15 entrants total.
Silence of the Sleep -- MB-E64618A6DF11B809 - Taken by neonglow. 2 entrants total.
Devil Daggers -- MB-361C4CBBA9FD01E1 - Taken by Blu(e). 38 entrants total.

t1458939410z1.png

rtcn63

Not sure if it's my computer, but I was getting some pretty annoying graphic glitches in The Division. Like, to the extent where there were giant black/brown walls that kept me from seeing enemies, but of course they could see me. I actually thought they were part of the level design at first and was all "who the fuck is shooting at me".

I do like the combat though. I mean, it's no worse than Uncharted. Is there a way to stealth kill enemies?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why the fuck doesnt GMG have the Dark Souls III season pass? :/

Lomax

The Division (uPlay) -- MB-A67D9870BFCB3C62 - Taken by Aaron D.. 36 entrants total.

This is an NVidea key and may not work, must be redeemed at https://redeem.geforce.com/en-us/ if you win please let me know if it works or not

Hi guys. Coupon did not go through. Message said, "This coupon code has been disabled. Please contact support."

Thanks either way, Lomax! This is the first "high-stakes" ModBot giveaway I've ever won, so it was a thrill just to see my name pulled. :)

Thanks again.

Crazy that nvidia disabled them even before Newegg has said anything about it. Sorry for the disappointment, I'm out right now but when I get home I'll send you my list of keys and see if there's something else you'd like.

Lomax

The Primal key came direct from Newegg as a uPlay key, so I guess it would be on them to deactivate. The keys for The Division though, NVidea has acted super fast so I suspect we'll know pretty quick one easy or another.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Old age. Happens to the best of us.

Ouch.

In an unrelated note: The Last Remnant is pretty bad. Like, I get why people slag it now that I've (begrudgingly) finished it. I forget which publication was waxing on about wanting people to play it (PC Gamer? Game Informer? It was in a magazine and I can't seem to find the copy that had it) but man, I'm pissed. The entire system is RNG on top of RNG with TERMINATED! DEADLOCK! RAIDLOCK! FLANK ATTACK! TERMINATED! flashing by you with very little explanation of what the system(s) are supposed to be and what is the best method of abusing it. :/

Ugh, and the story is pretty much spoiled
by the Title. You literally are "the Last Remnant" because you destroy all the others so all the people you've come to be friends and family with are saved because they're humans and not part-Remnant like you and the old world.

Meh. I really wish I could get that $13 I paid for it on Amazon back. :/

The Hermit

Soo I am playing those weeaboos game Ys and they are pretty legit.

Too bad my GF think they are too hard (well they are hard even for me so...)

What could be a good RPG or something to a non gaming girl? She can barely use the controller, so I want something that might teach her basic stuff

What could be a good RPG or something to a non gaming girl? She can barely use the controller, so I want something that might teach her basic stuff

south park would be a good start, though she might be turned off by its sense of humor

also, costume quest

Well, Skyrim and/or Fallout 4 are as accessible as they get as far as modern RPGs go...

Or you can go with simple RPGmaker games like Skyborn (one of the few good ones,) and see how that goes. Keep in mind that RPGs aren't for everyone. Women tend to be drawn to more puzzle-type games. A lot of women I know like Trine, for example.

Tizoc

Blood will be spilled.

Uh Ys 1 and 2 I guess? I mean they were promoted back in the 80s as being gentle or kind in their combat system for players to learn.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, Skyrim and/or Fallout 4 are as accessible as they get as far as modern RPGs go...

Or you can go with simple RPGmaker games like Skyborn (one of the few good ones,) and see how that goes. Keep in mind that RPGs aren't for everyone. Women tend to be drawn to more puzzle-type games. A lot of women I know like Trine, for example.

someone that can barely use a controller has no fucking idea how to play a third/first person game. We take controllers for granted because we've been using them for years

Jazz573

I will fite you. :p

Eila

The Ys games on steam all have easy difficulty modes. Never done them, but it should be ok? Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin are damn fun.

fOTYjT0.gif

Ys games can be played with KB+M perfectly fine. They're also amazing action RPGs. Otherwise i'd recommend Trails in the Sky as you can play that with KB+M + you don't really need to have a good grip with a controller for it as it is a turn-based RPG.

Knurek

This seemed to have somehow slipped under my radar.
Admittedly, I haven't played long - just 1/4th of a route, but it does seem to be a good read, especially for people who liked Higurashi.
And it's free, so there's really nothing stopping you from trying.

Okay, I've gone through all routes.
Amazing read. Well worth your time. Even if you hate VNs, just use the guide on Steam to read through like a novel.
I can safely say it's the closest thing to Saya no Uta that can be put on Steam with Valve's current 'adult content' policy.

Skyrim or Fallout?

someone that can barely use a controller has no fucking idea how to play a third/first person game. We take controllers for granted because we've been using them for years

So true. When I moved in with my (ex)gf, she wanted to play my Wii one night. I put in Super Mario Galaxy because it's easy as shit, and my god it was both hilarious and incredibly tedious/frustrating watching her play. It made me realize how natural controlling a video game character comes to me, after a lifetime of gaming.

Saty

However, there is another side of this that I’ve been afraid to talk about in public. And that is this: our studio has not yet seen a single dollar from sales. That Dragon, Cancer was created by a studio of eight, and for many of us it was a full-time effort that involved thousands of hours of work. This huge effort required taking on investment, and we decided to pay off all of our debt as soon as possible. But we underestimated how many people would be satisfied with only watching the game instead of playing it themselves.

More: http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/thatdragoncancer/2016/3/24/on-lets-plays

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-has-not-yet-seen-a-single-dollar-from-sales

Ozium

indiegala back at it again... people who bought the greenlight bundle #3 way back finally got their Yrminsul keys, about 20 days after the developer sent them and after the "yrminsul debut" bundle was over...

and on top of that not everyone got a steam key... I and others have clicked on our 'redeem for steam key' button only to be greeted with "No Serial Available Yet"

fucking indiegala clown shoes, so now I have to email support?

not getting a key until 2017

fuck IG

From their article:

However, for a short, relatively linear experience like ours, for millions of viewers, Let’s Play recordings of our content satisfy their interest and they never go on to interact with the game in the personal way that we intended for it to be experienced.

When you make a short, linear experience - one that can be experienced passively and not take away very much from an active experience - that's the risk you take. Other games become hugely popular because they see Let's Players playing it and they think "That's something I want to experience for myself!" because they can see the value in doing things themselves a different way. But when people play it and you get the same experience watching them...well, what were you expecting to happen?

Red Hood

Banned
What's the lowest Skyrim: Legendary Edition usually goes? I figure grabbing it on sale is probably the cheapest way to get the expansions, no?

75% off, which is €/$ 7,50. And yes, this package is cheaper than buying the substantial expansions separate (Dawnguard and Dragonborn have been 4,99 each at their lowest).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With all due respect to the developers (they went through a terrible, unspeakable life trauma), that's a really dishonest and interview. First, they have seen revenue; $150,000 worth. There's no need to dramatize having not yet made a profit by claiming you haven't seen a dollar. Most businesses do not make a profit in their first year and gaming is a tough business.

Second, they defined the scope of their game and they chose the level to spend. Granted that they must have felt an obligation to polish the project and work on it until it was just right. But clearly they must recognize that sales potential does not scale linearly with budget, and at some point spending more money means accumulating more debt. Responsible scoping of the project means looking at your market potential. That Dragon, Cancer is mostly in the same genre as the "walking simulator" -- it is a series of vignettes that the player experiences fairly passively designed to elicit emotional reactions and tell a story. It is not primarily driven by mechanics. In addition, it is fairly expensive and has not yet seen significant discounting or been bundled. Ether One has been significantly discounted and on sale for two years and only has 50k sales. 30 Flights of Loving is $5, has been discounted extensively, has been on sale for 3.5 years, and is at 100k sales. Sunset is at 20k sales in about 10 months. Is 14k in 2 months really outside expectations for T D, C? The occasional game in the genre does get big (Dear Esther, Gone Home, the Vanishing of Ethics Carter, Stanley Parable) but it's hardly the genre you go into if you're expecting 6 figure sales.

Third, I also can't believe it has to be said, but while experiencing TD, C may be cathartic for some people, there is also the very real sense that a lot of people do not want to relive their own personal trauma of dealing with cancer by playing through an experience about it. I'm theoretically interested in TD, C some day, but I am absolutely not paying full price to ruin my own day. I can do that by looking at old photos or something. Shouldn't it be obvious that the choice of making a game whose effect is to afflict emotional pain on most of those who play will be alienating? This is not an argument against making an alienating product, I wish more developers would, but let's not pretend it doesn't impact the game's commercial potential.

Fourth, unlike most developers, the developers here were given the advantage of the Ouya matching funds deal. That's effectively a subsidy to their development costs. Which is good. If I was working on a project that meant a lot to me emotionally and personally but that I thought was unlikely to make a profit, having a company willing to subsidize my development would be a total lifeline that could help mitigate my risk exposure. Or I could choose to use it as just more budget, but that's my choice and the consequences are mine.

Finally, Let's Plays are not piracy and piracy is not lost sales. The idea that absent YouTube, the game would have 200,000 sales or something is silly. Let's Plays keep the conversation about a game alive. If a game sells very little but gets huge Let's Play attention, the correct response is to look at the extent to which pricing, value proportion, and game subject matter are shaping sales. Why not literally ask the comments section of a popular Let's Play "hi people who watched and enjoyed this but didn't buy the game, what could we have done differently?" This is a learning experience. If you turn potential customers and advocates for your product into bad guys, that's your loss. And even in the scenario that they're describing actual piracy, again the "anti-pirate" approach is not productive for independent developers.

I hope they recoup their costs and that making the game was useful for them dealing with grief. It may be the case that the comments are misconstrued or misrepresented by the article. But what's in the article is dumb and I strongly disagree.

Anno

Eh I can empathize with their frustrations and understand what they're looking for. They're obviously not taking a totally anti-LP stance since they released the content claim despite the slight irony in that tweet. Asking an LPer to at least link back to a place to buy the game or mention that they can donate a dollar or two to the dev team if they enjoyed the stream seems like a pretty reasonable request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom