• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eh I can empathize with their frustrations and understand what they're looking for. They're obviously not taking a totally anti-LP stance since they released the content claim despite the slight irony in that tweet. Asking an LPer to at least link back to a place to buy the game or mention that they can donate a dollar or two to the dev team if they enjoyed the stream seems like a pretty reasonable request.

I opened YouTube and searched That Dragon, Cancer Let's Play. I sorted by views. The number one stream by far (2.5 million views) was jacksepticeye, who links the game above the YouTube description fold. The next most popular stream is 250k views, which also links the game in the YouTube description. The next most popular stream has 25k views and does not--but again, the streams that have 110 times the views of this stream do. I went down through the 10 or 12 other Let's Plays (mostly <10k views) and about 2/3rds of them had links to the game. I stopped when I got to videos with <500 views. I would estimate that well over 95% of the streaming views were on streams that directed viewers to buy the game.

Given that this is demonstably not an actual problem, do you think the dev's plea might be misplaced anger?

Sadly the game, while it looks unique, doesnt look unique enough that I would want to spend 15€ on it, especially considering it seems to be about 2-3 hours long, when I could get other games that are far longer than that.

And its a "walking simulator", which Steam now has "thousands" after the success of Dear Esther, Gone Home etc.

Steam isnt the platform anymore where, whatever you release, it sells bazillions. That hasnt been the case for 4-5 years. I mean even that Pewdiepie game, thats 8$ and has a fanbase of millions sold 30.000 yet...

Card Boy

Banned
LTTP but that $5 spend to add friends to Steam for new accounts is bullshit. This is in relation to an account with 30 games purchased not on Steam i set up for a sibling.

Red Hood

Banned
LTTP but that $5 spend to add friends to Steam for new accounts is bullshit. This is in relation to an account with 30 games purchased not on Steam i set up for a sibling.

Do you frequently buy from Steam on your primary account? If so, the next time you're planning on buying something, do it from your sibling's account and buy it as a gift, which you'll send to your primary account. It's what I did with my sisters' account to lift the $5 block.

To be honest, $5 is a small price to way for what it's meant to avoid. Whether or not it succeeds in doing it, I don't know, but I didn't particularly mind.

SSPssp

The Division told me to wait in line and then gave me a black screen. The simple pleasures of life.

Alt-Enter worked for me for when cutscenes start, but when the cutscene ends it black-screens again and alt-enter doesn't work. I had to restart after waiting for a couple of minutes. I'm going to wait for a fix.

Most people are able to just use alt-enter to get in and out of cutscenes so hopefully that works for you.

Great post, Stump.
Eurogamer's article title is at odds with the content. That the game hasn't seen "a single dollar" implies that it hasn't sold a single copy.

Yeah... I was expecting a story about publishers running away with the money or something like that, a la Spintires.

About the article in general, the content ID stuff in it sounds really bad to me. Content IDing because certain music is playing in the background (when it is in no way the focus of the video) is a terrible abuse of the feature. And even if it's a straight rip of the song, I'd still wager that song rips sell more songs than they would otherwise; as Stump touched on, it's coverage and promotion that gets the content into more people's hands.

Saty

I think you should be able to add the limited account as friends and that way you can chat normally.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
asking for a refund of a dark souls game feels dirty ;_;

Anno

I opened YouTube and searched That Dragon, Cancer Let's Play. I sorted by views. The number one stream by far (2.5 million views) was jacksepticeye, who links the game above the YouTube description fold. The next most popular stream is 250k views, which also links the game in the YouTube description. The next most popular stream has 25k views and does not--but again, the streams that have 110 times the views of this stream do. I went down through the 10 or 12 other Let's Plays (mostly <10k views) and about 2/3rds of them had links to the game. I stopped when I got to videos with <500 views. I would estimate that well over 95% of the streaming views were on streams that directed viewers to buy the game.

Given that this is demonstably not an actual problem, do you think the dev's plea might be misplaced anger?

I guess I got a different tone from the article. It didn't seem so much anger as just a way to address what can certainly be an issue for a smaller developer while asking creators to be thoughtful about how they use their content. Having a link is good, I'm glad that's there, but to me it seems right and just for the streamer to be thoughtful about pointing it out and encouraging people to think about supporting the developers, whether through a donation or a purchase of the game or seemingly just sharing their stories somewhere out there. Hopefully that's what the popular YouTube and Twitch personalities did.

Mostly I think this is made to look worse than it is because of the "we haven't seen a dollar" quote being bandied about when I imagine it wasn't meant in the tone it's being presented in.

Red Hood

Banned
Dark Souls 3 + season pass €68 on GMG with the SPRING20 voucher.

Hm.

obama+thinking.PNG

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I guess I got a different tone from the article. It didn't seem so much anger as just a way to address what can certainly be an issue for a smaller developer while asking creators to be thoughtful about how they use their content. Having a link is good, I'm glad that's there, but to me it seems right and just for the streamer to be thoughtful about pointing it out and encouraging people to think about supporting the developers, whether through a donation or a purchase of the game or seemingly just sharing their stories somewhere out there. Hopefully that's what the popular YouTube and Twitch personalities did.

I see this as a developer making an observation (sales less than they could be, game popular on streams), incorrectly concluding it's a problem, and then trying to find a solution. I don't believe there's a problem and I don't believe all problems have solutions.

I just don't believe that absent YouTube this is a game that would have done better, nor do I believe there's an untapped audience out there watching the Let's Plays who would buy the game, want to buy the game, but simply haven't been nagged enough.

I'm not saying the developers are going ballistic or anything, an interview is just an interview and a blog post is just a blog post. Although using ContentID as a weapon to strike back at what you believe to be a problem is pretty bad, but I'm glad they voluntarily gave that up under pressure from streamers. I also wouldn't leave my comments on their site because I know they're currently being subjected to virulent abuse (for at least two reasons: first, because angry athiests seem very mad that the game has a religious message; second, because anyone making empathy/emotional interactive experiences gets bombarded by people angry because they aren't making "games" in the narrow sense the commenters want). I'm just saying as part of the public conversation about expectations, I think the attitudes expressed are pretty trivially wrong and not a good way of reflecting on game development.

catabarez

Man the lack of Rock Band 4 on Steam is bumming me out. I wish Harmonix took a different approach with the campaign similar to Psychonauts 2 or Bloodstained.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man the lack of Rock Band 4 on Steam is bumming me out. I wish Harmonix took a different approach with the campaign similar to Psychonauts 2 or Bloodstained.

did the kickstarter fail then?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To be honest, $5 is a small price to way for what it's meant to avoid. Whether or not it succeeds in doing it, I don't know, but I didn't particularly mind.

Oh, the barrier has definitely worked. It's been a long time since I've received a friend request from an account with the name "[unassigned]". The unwanted requests I'm inundated with these days are from CS:GO players who want my Operation Bloodhound passes.

Nillansan

I am starting to make a real dent in my backlog. Alan Wake is so good, I am playing it for the first time. I am really enjoying the combat, Nightmare mode seems to be the ideal difficulty level for a very tense survival horror experience. Oh and I made the jump to the 980 TI ship a while back, the game is gorgeous in 4K.

bbd23

HEY so ummm about that 100% disk usage problem...I just started hearing a loud rattling + beep sound from my PC....so ummm is my hard drive dying? im kinda scared

That is such an ass-backwards view to have about Youtube and Let's Play videos, especially when you're talking about independent developer with a game that probably won't get the time of day from the standard enthusiast press, be it print or online. By turning on youtubers, you're turning on your best advocates and advertisers.

It's likely the only way they can direct their frustration outward, otherwise they might have to take the blame themselves because they ultimately made a game that not a lot of people wanted to buy.

I cannot find my umbrella and it is pissing me off.

It is a Kiki's Delivery Service umbrella. You cannot imagine how cool I was because I sported a Kiki's Delivery Service umbrella.

Fuck.

I have decided to get Diablo 3 btw. I am feeling some fresh type of co-op.

That feel when you watched 4,5hrs in one day by starting and finishing an anime show (13eps) and the only thing you got out of it are 4,5hrs wasted and frustration how squandered it was.

Spending +40hrs in the Steam Exploration Queue was pure entertainment bliss compared to that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ubi yanked the Prime Pack a little while ago, which was half off. Can't have people getting too good a deal.

It's nice that Dead Space and Darksiders both died so that Dark Souls could have its acronym back.
Confirmed it has no day one patch yet, should be fine after.

But DS3 had a day 1 patch for reviewers, just not a presumed "launch day patch." Giant Bomb mentioned this in their video.

Keep that refund window open is my suggestion.

Streamers shouldn't be showing the entire playthrough. Why is that an acceptable thing?

It's a two-hour long game.

So what, do we come up with an arbitrary percentage of the game that's allowed to be shown? 25%? But then the 25% mark for each game differs, will that then mean youtubers won't bother with shorter games at all then?

Rhaknar

Ubi yanked the Prime Pack a little while ago, which was half off. Can't have people getting too good a deal.

n3MSAxd.png

It's nice that Dead Space and Darksiders both died so that Dark Souls could have its acronym back.

But DS3 had a day 1 patch for reviewers, just not a presumed "launch day patch." Giant Bomb mentioned this in their video.

Keep that refund window open is my suggestion.

but the game ran great on the giantbomb stream, it just crashed (a lot apparently), Its not a port problem

Breaking in the new mouse. Got to wear down that clicker resistance.

HEY so ummm about that 100% disk usage problem...I just started hearing a loud rattling + beep sound from my PC....so ummm is my hard drive dying? im kinda scared

There are not a lot of moving parts in PCs. HDDs and fans seem most common. Get the utility for your HDD manuactuer and run its diagnostics.

And open up and peek in your machine if it is still rattling.

Rhaknar

also, if a game is coming out on all platforms at the same time, its not a port, its just... a version. Pet peeve but still.

Wasnt there some news of Shadow Complex coming to steam? when was that happening again?

GMG really needs to proofread their emails before they send them out:

Capcom are headlining Part 2 of the Spring Sale too, with up to 80% off! Ultra Street Fighter IV and sandbox zombie romp Dead Rising 3 are both half-price, there's 80% off Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, and you can save on many more titles as well.

So I went to check... it's 40%.
Even if you can stack the 20% off coupon on it... it still isn't 80% off.

Conisdering Dark Souls is a dirty port i think you are justified (we are talking DS1 right?)

You're totally welcome to not buy it and go get a 360 or PS3 and play it there instead. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom