• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
So an extremely generous Gaffer gifted me a copy of The Witcher 3. Is there anything I need to know before playing? I've never played a game from this series before. Are there any good videos/summaries of the story leading up to it? Are there any mods I should get (if there are mods for this game)? I'm too busy with tax season to start playing an immersive open world RPG right now, so I have some time to prepare myself before I dive in after April 18th.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
There's a bunch of free dlc.

Maybe try both control settings early. The default is a bit awkward especially indoors.

So an extremely generous Gaffer gifted me a copy of The Witcher 3. Is there anything I need to know before playing? I've never played a game from this series before. Are there any good videos/summaries of the story leading up to it? Are there any mods I should get (if there are mods for this game)? I'm too busy with tax season to start playing an immersive open world RPG right now, so I have some time to prepare myself before I dive in after April 18th.

just go where the world take you. a ton to see and do and it will be easy to forget about the main quest lines

I have something weird.

Last year I purchased Settlers 7 off the uplay store. Today I go into my Steam library and its sitting right there available to download through Steam.

Anyone seen that before?

Tizoc

These keys are still available
Soulbringer -- MB-C4897007507A0EBF - Taken by gaiadyne
Blue Rose Desura Key -- MB-970115D9171F01C1

Gonna get another giveaway set up in an hour or so.

They must be having a good time playing Knights:

Yeah, the PC version sounds like a giant mess. Giant Bomb's DS3 video confirmed that they're using the day-1 patch (for reviewers) and everything. The stream was a day late because they burned a day troubleshooting the game both on the hardware and software side of things; in spite of this, the video I linked still has like 5-7 crashes.

The PC pre-release coverage (reviews, etc) all being knights will be... weird.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah, the PC version sounds like a giant mess. Giant Bomb's DS3 video confirmed that they're using the day-1 patch (for reviewers) and everything. The stream was a day late because they burned a day troubleshooting the game both on the hardware and software side of things; in spite of this, the video I linked still has like 5-7 crashes.

The PC pre-release coverage (reviews, etc) all being knights will be... weird.
Where are those people who said to pre-order because nothing can't go wrong with From?

Mivey

Where are those people who said to pre-order because nothing can't go wrong with From?
Maybe they were also taking a potential DS3Fix into consideration. At this point Durante should really ask companies to pay him, before he releases any mods/fixes. From Software clearly profited from DSFix' existence.

Phinor

They are probably still where they were back when they said it, still right - for now. We'll see what happens in 2.5 weeks because that's when the game actually releases on PC.

Although, as said above, I'm not sure why anyone would say something like that in the first place considering all their past releases. They aren't the best developer when it comes to creating tech issue-free games.

The Division is absolutely beautiful, but a bit too formulaic. Seems the tone of the game and the gameplay are at odds because you have a harsh brutal world on one hand, and a really forgiving level-based bullet spongy gunplay on the other. Still decent enough if only for the loot drops.

The real question is if DS3's framerate logic bugs are fixed in a patch, or in the Scholars re-release. The precedent is set for the latter.

The jump from Dark Souls 1 to Dark Souls 2 was unfathomable, so I can't blame anyone for thinking that. Like personally, it went from one of the worst ports of all time, to an incredible port that taught me what 1080p really feels like.

But the crashes seriously make it seem like an alpha rather than a product releasing in a month. Pushing it out with only the knight playable is just... how does that even happen?

JarrodL

If you have time, I recommend you read the books (at least the first four - Sword of Destiny, The Last Wish, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt). The witcher games, and Witcher III especially, are basically an unofficial sequel to the story told in the books, and are VERY good at honoring the source material (all characters are brought over with great attention to detail and accuracy, and there are a ton of small but enjoyable references and throwbacks). If you're already invested in the characters after reading the books, the story told by the game hits home much harder (speaking from experience).

That said, it is certainly possible to enjoy the game without ever touching the books, as it does a decent job of introducing all major characters and plot points, and it has a great glossary/journal with some backstory for all NPCs you meet in the game. From the previous two games, the first was largely a standalone plot aside from a few events followed up on in W2 and W3, but you may want to look up a summary of the second game as it ties directly into the what and why of Witcher 3 intro.

Ludens

Banned
From is the company which did the DS2 scam and people knew that randomly only because some dudes managed to get their hands on a console copy before the release. And for BB they needed Sony's help to make the game loading locations in a timely manner. Never forget.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
From is the company which did the DS2 scam and people knew that randomly only because some dudes managed to get their hands on a console copy before the release. And for BB they needed Sony's help to make the game loading locations in a timely manner. Never forget.

DS2 Scam?

Also I knew not to buy DS3 thanks to them not retrofitting the DX9 version with the DX11 renderer. Them wanting to push their GotY edition as DX11 only pissed me off. I'll wait until the DX12 version hits a year later, you just know Namco is gonna do that.

Parsnip

The English version isn't actually out yet, though.
You might be surprised how late in development things are still getting fixed.

Lol.

MUnited83

For you.
You mean the whole lighting thing? Was known before launch even on official material. Sure, it sucked quite a bit, but official footage with the launch lighting was available before launch.
DS2 Scam?

Also I knew not to buy DS3 thanks to them not retrofitting the DX9 version with the DX11 renderer. Them wanting to push their GotY edition as DX11 only pissed me off. I'll wait until the DX12 version hits a year later, you just know Namco is gonna do that.

This won't happen.

Ludens

Banned
DS2 Scam?

I'm talking about that downgrade. Not only lighting, but whole textures changed.

DS2 Scam?

Remember the whole DS2 dynamic shadows debacle? Although the thing I actually care about is the scuzzy way they handled the Scholars edition.

It's a great game, but the handling of everything around it is nothing short of abysmal.

I assume you mean SotfS when saying scam? I wouldn't call it a scam but I think it hurt/split the player base needlessly. Maybe making it a DLC would have been better in that regard. Then again, it's more than just revamped enemy locations. DX11 and very different multiplayer aspect would have been not possible - I believe - to put in one version with DX9. Or do you mean the pricing was too much for what was offered?

Oh you mean the "downgrade" discussions of the base DS2.

I'm talking about that downgrade.

the downgrade was an assy thing but they were just trying to imitate their AAA brethren by overpromising in visuals and then underdelivering in the final product.

hell the witcher just got 700 GOTY awards and they took a knife to their visuals, too.

From should've just been more upfront about it

19Kilo

Take these...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (19Kilo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-7AC7CF85418AB980 - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 - Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force Pack -- MB-5C90135B3BC47F02
Door Kickers -- MB-F9AC09BA5D5F93C9 - Taken by Costa1774. 12 entrants total.
Grow Home -- MB-AE62FC331D0F9773 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 14 entrants total.

t1458938990z1.png

yuraya

The NA PC version of DS3 has been out n about for a while now. Nobody has reported any severe issues like GB is doing. And GB guys admitted it seems to be only them via their podcast. Several people on twitch have been playing and streaming that shit for days now. There is a bunch playing right now. The performance on pc seems to be actually very good and even GB guys said it runs fine. Those crashing issues are probably on their end.

Knurek

Ludens

Banned
The NA PC version of DS3 has been out n about for a while now. Nobody has reported any severe issues like GB is doing. And GB guys admitted it seems to be only them via their podcast. Several people on twitch have been playing and streaming that shit for days now. There is a bunch playing right now. The performance on pc seems to be actually very good and even GB guys said it runs fine. Those crashing issues are probably on their end.
Maybe, but I'd like to have the benefit of the doubt.

they had it on several machines and they have a +2 hour video in which the game crashes more than once.

But, again, we're like 2 weeks away. Still time to get a few more fixes worked out before its official launch

Jim Sterling had the same issues. So yeah.

Fortunately PC gaming lives in an era of refunds so it's a safe bet either way.

latest

Giveaway - egg shaped confectionery celebration:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SockyJohnson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-297E875AE6D1F05B - Taken by jtb. 1 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. -- MB-16D2B222BE5AC576 - Taken by mp1990. 2 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator Anniversary Edition -- MB-EA8D910C1BE1BE15 - Taken by Endruen. 6 entrants total.
Dungeon Souls -- MB-E344DFCC53505D1A - Taken by dot. 18 entrants total.
Bedlam -- MB-567E466B176D1DD1 - Taken by Haunted. 11 entrants total.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- MB-E586C246B8B68E74 - Taken by WinterDemons. 15 entrants total.
Silence of the Sleep -- MB-E64618A6DF11B809 - Taken by neonglow. 2 entrants total.
Devil Daggers -- MB-361C4CBBA9FD01E1 - Taken by Blu(e). 38 entrants total.

t1458939410z1.png

def sim

In the beastcast, Vinny said they've spoken with Namco Bandai and they are aware of the issues. Vinny also mentioned it sounds like they aren't getting those reports from many people. Hopefully they can fix whatever is causing those crashes before release.

Corpekata

Banned
I can't imagine they'd be sending the PC version out to so many people so early if they didn't have confidence in it. It makes no sense, especially as a lot of outlets seem to ONLY have the PC version. It's not like it's just RPS and PCgamer, focused on PC only, even like IGN is using it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

To The Moon -- MB-E476ADEA548031D9 - Taken by Costa1774. 4 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
BIO MENACE (gog) -- MB-E606C693CFFEF173 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Make War Not Love Bundle 3 -- MB-B7949E53F52F25B5 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Particula -- MB-0702DDB69FC2DA37 - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.
Deadbreed -- MB-FEF50CC2965FA31C - Taken by electroflame. 2 entrants total.
Woodle Tree -- MB-EA0B572FA9912402 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff -- MB-AC1035A344276AF2 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
hyper fighters -- MB-B45A7E592301E8AE - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Absconding Zatwor -- MB-04C602CA2D7979A8 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for To The Moon was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for BIO MENACE (gog) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Make War Not Love Bundle 3 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Particula was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Deadbreed was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Woodle Tree was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for hyper fighters was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Absconding Zatwor was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1458932749z1.png

Yes, I know this may have been disabled already, but I've heard nothing from NewEgg and one worked yesterday, so it might still work. If you win please let me know if it works or not. If not, I can probably give you something else.

I'm tempted to enter, even though I picked it up on PS4, because I want to see how much better it will look on my PC.

On one hand, it's uncool if I'm mostly interested in a test run of shininess. On the other hand, it was $.01...

There's a bunch of free dlc.

Maybe try both control settings early. The default is a bit awkward especially indoors.

just go where the world take you. a ton to see and do and it will be easy to forget about the main quest lines

If you have time, I recommend you read the books (at least the first four - Sword of Destiny, The Last Wish, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt). The witcher games, and Witcher III especially, are basically an unofficial sequel to the story told in the books, and are VERY good at honoring the source material (all characters are brought over with great attention to detail and accuracy, and there are a ton of small but enjoyable references and throwbacks). If you're already invested in the characters after reading the books, the story told by the game hits home much harder (speaking from experience).

That said, it is certainly possible to enjoy the game without ever touching the books, as it does a decent job of introducing all major characters and plot points, and it has a great glossary/journal with some backstory for all NPCs you meet in the game. From the previous two games, the first was largely a standalone plot aside from a few events followed up on in W2 and W3, but you may want to look up a summary of the second game as it ties directly into the what and why of Witcher 3 intro.

Thanks fam.

Are the books long or short? My free time is quite limited right now so hopefully they aren't George R.R. Martin length or anything.

I missed when it was announced, but Thea: The Awakening's upcoming Giants (free) DLC has some additional information now:
Return of the Giants DLC - when and what to expect
28 FEBRUARY - A'VEE
Hi everyone!

We've got an important announcement regarding our first big DLC update. First, the bad news - localization and testing are taking a bit more time than anticipated, also we'd like to synchronize with boxed release worldwide. So we have to reschedule it again, to 15 April. We'll do our best to keep this date, thank you for waiting so patiently!

Now a little about what to expect in the Return of the Giants DLC:
  • - additional events and full English voiceover for all events,
  • - localization to German, Russian, French and Polish (events and UI),
  • - Events Editor - you'll be able to make your own modules with events, which can be shared with others,
  • - additional music tracks,
  • - new buildings,
  • - new character and icon artwork,
  • - general fixes and improvements,

We're slowly putting together a trailer showing new features and we'll post it when it's ready. Even though there's still a bit of waiting, we're sure you'll all enjoy the DLC update!
[Source]
Get hyped, SteamGAF. I know you want to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This won't happen.

We'll see, but treating day-one fans like dirt when numerous other PC titles retrofitted DX upgrades in with patches just left a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to Namco and From.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Lomax, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lomax, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

xWBm0BY.png
The Division (uPlay) -- MB-A67D9870BFCB3C62 - Taken by Aaron D.. 36 entrants total.
This is an NVidea key and may not work, must be redeemed at https://redeem.geforce.com/en-us/ if you win please let me know if it works or not

t1458933529z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom