• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Steam Overlay a piece of fucking shit or is it just my bad luck? Used it to talk to someone while clearing Bloody Palace in DM4SE and it fucking froze on me.

So, 8 episodes into Season 2, I've come to the realization that

a) Lucha Underground may be the best show on television
b) Lucha Underground is the most videogame-ass TV show in imaginable.

I mean, you have a skeleton ninja who lives to break arms for his vampire pope master, a dragon-man who's best friends with a time-traveling Aztec astronaut, a dude who is managed by either a ghost or death, who comes back stronger every time he dies, and an evil manager who keeps his brother in a cage and feeds him jobber wrestlers to eat. You have electrified skull-headed dudes, asian assassins, and more random nunchuk fights than you'd ever expect in a wrestling show.

This needs to be a game immediately.

Normally I loathe wrestling with a passion.

BUT WTF did you just sell me on a damn wrestling?

What network is it?

pislit

uplay loads so much faster than Steam

and you can play games while they are still downloading?

CbKQS37WAAA1ijt.jpg

You can download games while playing on Steam.

Normally I loathe wrestling with a passion.
BUT WTF did you just sell me on a damn wrestling?
What network is it?

El Rey, Robert Rodriguez's new network. I don't actually get El Rey so I had to subscribe via iTunes after I torrented a few eps and went "you know, these guys deserve my money".

A fantastic summary of Season 1 is here: http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/lucha-uderground-primer-season-one-recap/ (which also has a great 8-minute recap video at the end of the article to get people up to speed for Season 2)

I mean, how can you not love a show where summaries feature stuff such as:

"Your Lucha Underground champion is Mil Muertes, managed by Catrina. Mil Muertes is an unstoppable lucha zombie badass who learned at a young age to be empowered by tragedy and death. He’s accompanied by Catrina, an extremely attractive woman with teleportation powers (?) who uses rubble from the Mexico City Earthquake — the same earthquake that created Mil — to control Mil and an army of electrified skeletons known as the “Disciples of Death.”

"The coolest guy on the show in a walk is Pentagon Jr. To wit, he’s a pissed-off ninja skeleton who breaks peoples’ arms to please his Dark Master. He’s THE BEST. He doesn’t speak English, so all of his scenes are subtitled, and it absolutely does not matter for English-speaking audiences."

"Drago is that dragon with the nunchucks I mentioned earlier. He’s got a cosmic interspecies bromance with Aero Star, a luchador from space who can fly. He’s got rockets in his feet. They’re awesome."

Yeah, it's like Bizzard and the many mmo launchers out there. There's a 'playable' state, which is normally at 10% download progress or so. When it reaches playable, you can play the game right away. There are obviously some limitation on how far you can progress in-game while the game is still downloading. For example, you won't be able to pass the starting area or set certain graphic options on that state. But still, it's a nice feature especially for people with lower internet speed.

El Rey, Robert Rodriguez's new network. I don't actually get El Rey so I had to subscribe via iTunes after I torrented a few eps and went "you know, these guys deserve my money".

A fantastic summary of Season 1 is here: http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/lucha-uderground-primer-season-one-recap/ (which also has a great 8-minute recap video at the end of the article to get people up to speed for Season 2)

I mean, how can you not love a show where summaries feature stuff such as:

"Your Lucha Underground champion is Mil Muertes, managed by Catrina. Mil Muertes is an unstoppable lucha zombie badass who learned at a young age to be empowered by tragedy and death. He’s accompanied by Catrina, an extremely attractive woman with teleportation powers (?) who uses rubble from the Mexico City Earthquake — the same earthquake that created Mil — to control Mil and an army of electrified skeletons known as the “Disciples of Death.”

"Drago is that dragon with the nunchucks I mentioned earlier. He’s got a cosmic interspecies bromance with Aero Star, a luchador from space who can fly. He’s got rockets in his feet. They’re awesome."

lmao sounds positively nuts

Uzzy

I finished the Shadowrun: Hong Kong bonus campaign today, which is set after the conclusion of the main game. It's advertised as a chance to cement your character's status as a 'prime runner' and get revenge on the elite police force you went up against in the original campaign. Which was certainly something I was looking forwards to, but I think that perhaps I hyped it up too much in my head. Cause what I played was decent, but nothing spectacular. Should have realised it wouldn't be too much when it was given away for free.

The writing is good as you'd expect from Harebrained Schemes, and there's some genuinely hilarious moments. It was nice to have some new adventures to go on with the old crew, and the new characters that get introduced are interesting. But it's all so brief. From what I could tell, there's maybe four or five missions in the game, and two of them are side missions. There's no time to really explore the new characters or really expand the main plot, which is about a conspiracy within the Hong Kong Police Force. (That may have been a major reason for my excitement before playing the game, especially after watching a bunch of John Woo films)

There's no real element of mystery or intrigue about the conspiracy, just a straight line of information that plays out very quickly. It's a shame really. Furthermore, while a conspiracy amongst the police could make for a fine overarching plot, it's hardly a 'prime runner' level plot. The endgames of each of the previous Shadowrun games were far more at that level.

Mechanically though, the campaign really messed up. Rather than try to offer up legitimately difficult opponents, you instead end up fighting massive hordes of enemies that swarm over you, with a lot of weapons that stun you and take away your action points. While I could make my own character, an elven street samurai, more resistant to stun through cyberwear, I couldn't do the same with the rest of the team. So combat ended up a frustrating slog, slowly whittling down the large number of enemies while having to deal with my characters getting stunned and knocked out the fight constantly. It wasn't fun or challenging, just frustrating and dull.

This mini campaign could have been a lot better, but it is free, so the only real cost is your time. I'll still be there day one for the next Shadowrun game, thanks to the great writing from HBS, but I just hope they finally get the combat down right. It's been good enough in the past but really failed in this campaign, so that's the main area they should be working on.

tmarg

So today I was called a modern yuppy with more money than sense (Because I want to buy a good PC desk and chair). I must be doing all right in my life I guess.

To be fair, the guy asked for recommendations for desks and you tried to sell him a $1300 chair.

Though, I live in west Michigan where they are made, so thanks for supporting my local economy.

Volimar

You know what's weird? Sometimes when I try to play Fallout 4, the title screen comes up and I click play and after a moment the title screen comes back. It'll continue doing this until I click exit and then restart Steam and then it works fine.

ModBot's back, I'm drinking...so I'm gonna give away some damn keys

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Detail Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie -- MB-EF34F6B91E5735DC - Taken by Zeeman. 2 entrants total.
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-CFE6A187AE16CF00 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 8 entrants total.
Divekick -- MB-EAAE26F1BF521DE5 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 3 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-90F0B86815486C92 - Taken by Red Hood. 1 entrants total.
Company of Heroes Complete Edition -- MB-660782CD12CFBBC5 - Taken by pislit. 2 entrants total.
Shattered Planet -- MB-E317031D0F5D596A - Taken by OmarYusaf. 6 entrants total.

t1459059252z1.png

Battlenet would not let me login. I had to go to a browser to set my battletag. It said it was in violation of their rules. It is my Steam name, which if you know it, makes this kind of sad.

I just used my full first name and it was happy with that.

I miss Steam already.

EDIT - Tried to add SMS protection. Says my phone number is not valid. FFS.

What happened to the art style? The first game at least had decent waifu designs for a random indie dev no one had ever heard of, but somehow the new one looks like trashy tumblr fan art?
I think the devs said they wanted to try something new, then they held a poll because of the reactions, don't know what came out of that.

Corpekata

Banned
The answer is they were trolling the pervy fans all along. They started with annoying as fuck characters and now they're just making the annoying as fuck characters look like dolls made for toddlers. Seeing just what they can get their fans to put up with.

I think the devs said they wanted to try something new, then they held a poll because of the reactions, don't know what came out of that.

oh i hope the poll wasn't to decide the new art direction and thats the one that won cause that looks really bad.

The answer is they were trolling the pervy fans all along. They started with annoying as fuck characters and now they're just making the annoying as fuck characters look like dolls made for toddlers. Seeing just what they can get their fans to put up.

i like this theory

Lain

Looking at the poll, the request for going back to the HuniePop artstyle won. They still didn't give a fuck. Which is weird, since they made the poll to begin with.

Apparently, the current XBox Dark Souls III version is the easy mode of the game and will be patched later with day one patch.

Will there be such option for PC later? I'm dead serious.

Apparently, the current XBox Dark Souls III version is the easy mode of the game and will be patched later with day one patch.

Will there be such option for PC later? I'm dead serious.

I refuse to believe that they made it easier for reviewers. It's the antithesis of Soulsian design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom