• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

is the first one from ff10?

that one looks great

It's from FF8

hqdefaultwmude.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thank you! Can't wait to play it :)

Are you playing it on Win10? I remember it wouldn't play correctly on Win8 for me. Been wanting to replay it.

Windows 10. The thing is you have to install the Physx from the game folder. Of course other games later will ask you to update which is kinda shitty but I roll with it.

And here we go with my impressions for Dracula's Legacy (what's this? No colon in the title? Are you SURE this is a hidden-object game?)

The story: You play a literally nameless female protagonist: she doesn't remember who she is, but she's well-dressed and hanging around a park (because as we all know, amnesiacs have jobs that allow them to pay for nice outfits with cash, and give them plenty of leisure time to boot!) She meets a guy named Matt. Matt, good guy that he is, decides not to take her case to the cops, but rather makes her his girlfriend right away. (Wouldn't you?) She describes dreams featuring "a weird town," and Matt suggests they go there...and they somehow find it based on just that information. They fall in a pit and get separated, and it's up to her to find Matt and destroy the vampires, with the help of the deceased mayor's ghost - again, because ghosts you just met are totally trustworthy.

The story is ridiculous, and worse yet, it doesn't even have a proper ending. It was maybe one cutscene away from making perfect sense. Spoilers to follow:
Matt is turned into a vampire, and you get a weird box from Dracula after you kill him. Dracula calls you "Vivian" and says he's been waiting 200 years for you, but it's unclear whether that's actually your name. On the drive home, the box glows, and Matt kinda stirs a bit, but you can't tell whether his eyes are vampire red or back to normal.
Guys, just end your damn stories already.

The graphics: They actually attempted some 3D rendering here and there. The ghost appears to be done in 3D, as do a few of the cutscenes. So bonus points for that. There is still some uncanny valley in those characters, and there's one particular cutscene showing a set of twins that's particularly uncanny. If they were trying to make those twins look creepy, mission fucking accomplished.

There were cutscenes galore. In the first act, entering almost every new room came with a cutscene showing the girl entering the room. It gave the game almost a "Dragon's Lair" feel, which was pretty cool, but they also showed her walking lensward (or in other words they turn the camera around for each cutscene) which is kinda jarring. But some were used to good effect: the first cutscene has some cinematic takes like "show just the boots as she leaves the car" and "couple looks up but you can't see what they're looking at yet." Not to say I like games that are overly cinematic, but it shows they were trying to set the bar a little higher for production values. Did they succeed the rest of the way? Read on!

The dialogue and voices: Just as wooden as Frankenstein's. Despite a setting in a weird foreign town, everyone speaks unaccented English and sounds bored. Developers, I get it, overacting can often be much worse than underacting, but would it kill you to direct the voice actors to emote a little?

The puzzles: Mostly dead easy once again. "Casual" shouldn't mean "brain-dead," guys. The biggest piss-off in this game was creating an achievement for finishing a hidden-object puzzle in less than 30 seconds. If you had all 12 items visible, okay, that would be KINDA fair. But if you show 4 at a time, the first 3 of which require some additional action, it's basically false replayability. (I went back to "New Game" and redid the first HO puzzle - twice - to get that achievement.) Near the end, one hidden-object puzzle only had about three objects left in the scene after you were done. That's not how hidden-object games should work! You need clutter, you need camouflage!

My favourite puzzle by far? When you're blocked by an unhelpful villager, you actually load up a SHOTGUN and fire a warning shot, then threaten him at gunpoint to co-operate with you. That's gangsta! Might just be one of my favourite solutions in any hidden-object game I've played. Way better than "use a camera to get rid of bats" - like huh? Does that work? Is that a thing? It was in both the Frankenstein and Dracula games.

The length: 2.6 hours to get every achievement. Includes replaying the first bit twice to get the speed achievement, and quitting from the main menu several times since achievements don't fully register until after you quit the game. (Just...why...) So, it's slightly longer than Frankenstein. It's still below average for an HOG.

The verdict: The game, even on expert mode, is a cakewalk with a bad story. On the other hand, it has a few good moments where you can see the ambition and effort, and you can see the protagonist being a badass. I can't recommend going out and buying this (even for the three-dollar asking price,) but if you get it in a bundle and you have time to kill, I'd say at least give the first hour a try and see if it's for you.

KingKong

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is the best version of an Assassins Creed game they've made. It took them like 5 tries but they finally stopped including the tailing missions everyone hated. I still prefer AC3 and AC1 though

rtcn63

The Division needs a difficulty between normal and hard. Like, they're the Resident Evil equivalent of normal and professional, there needs to be a veteran. Also flamethrower enemies can fuck off.

I'm not enjoying the game so much solo. It's serviceable, but I don't get that same rush I would in other loot games. There doesn't seem to be any real weapon variety at lower levels. Every machine gun feels like every other machine gun. Most of the side missions are just you going through the motions.

Tizoc

The new Bobba Fett except even more useless.
Ouch~

So the ea ty 1 release aint that bad
60 fps, typical ps2 era graphics but otherwise runs fine so far
Would be interesting to see if they could apply new txtures or allow for mods to up the visual presentation

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Welp it's been awhile since I've been in here. Hope everyone's good. I was just browsing through Steam for the first time in months and figured I'd drop in and see what's going on with SteamGAF.

Will be setting up some giveaways in a few...:D

Welp it's been awhile since I've been in here. Hope everyone's good. I was just browsing through Steam for the first time in months and figured I'd drop in and see what's going on with SteamGAF.

Will be setting up some giveaways in a few...:D

Welcome back dude, we miss you :)

So far I've launched Binary Domain, Tomb Raider, STALKER 1, and Rainbow Six Vegas, but nothing has stuck. I'd actually "play" more Black Ink but the demo timer ran out. It's kind of neat.

I think I'd only get into Vegas if I hear a glowing recommendation for it. Stalker actually seems cool as hell but I need something a bit less dense since my play time is so limited.

Dupy

Lego and Indie Giveaway
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes -- MB-251FFFB04056F46D - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 5 entrants total.
The Escapists -- MB-8A473292CD3000FE - Taken by bobnowhere. 5 entrants total.

t1459140496z1.png

Dupy

Day of the Tentacle Giveaway

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered -- MB-DDC0FBA93F7C69A5 - Taken by the_firewithin. 11 entrants total.

t1459141576z1.png

hesho

Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone doesn't run properly on Windows 8.1--it's windowed mode or your choice of resolution at 11 FPS. Very unfortunate.

It's based entirely on turns taken, IIRC. You need to keep a very frenzied pace to get a good ranking.

just wish there was a heads up to know this before hand. Is something suppose to happen when you touch a dead enemy's body? I noticed that it always takes a second to disappear which causes me to take more shots but am curious if something is suppose to happen?

ModBot said:
Instructions for UnderWaterTree:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (UnderWaterTree, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

This War of Mine-87RQT0 -- MB-171501631A353E59 - Taken by VikasNarula. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-7E9EBB200BC466DF - Taken by bjaelke. 7 entrants total.

t1459142416z1.png
Night Time Giveaway

Stardew Valley's random name generator gave my duck the name "Goku." Do RNG get any better than this?
just wish there was a heads up to know this before hand. Is something suppose to happen when you touch a dead enemy's body? I noticed that it always takes a second to disappear which causes me to take more shots but am curious if something is suppose to happen?

For VC? It's just their ragdoll playing out... the game loves ragdolls.

Edit: Have you ever wondered what cyborgs eat? Well, wonder no more; Adam Jensen has the answer:

Knurek

Arthea alert

If you switched to Win10, you might have noticed RPG Maker 2000/2003 games are no longer working for you, unless you use DXGL or something similar.
Well, turns out there's a working Open Source interpreter out there.
I give you EasyRPG Player.
Still in development, but should at least work with some games.

There's also another one for RPG Maker XP/Ace/VX, used in some Steam games (To the Moon, Last Dream). Has a better performance and resolution support, so you might want to give it a go as well. It's called mkxp

Stardew Valley's random name generator gave my duck the name "Goku." Do RNG get any better than this?

For VC? It's just their ragdoll playing out... the game loves ragdolls.

Edit: Have you ever wondered what cyborgs eat? Well, wonder no more; Adam Jensen has the answer:

Adam Jensen lives off alcohol, pain killers and menthol cigarettes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man German people are so polite. Well done derexperte / yakku

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How is ur undertale playthru going?

I played those 30mins yeaterday morning and then asked when its supposed to click, nobody replied and I havent touched it since (not because of that, just had to sleep and then rl shit and then work)

Like I said in that post, those 30mins did nothing for me

Tizoc

I played those 30mins yeaterday morning and then asked when its supposed to click, nobody replied and I havent touched it since (not because of that, just had to sleep and then rl shit and then work)

Like I said in that post, those 30mins did nothing for me
Keep playing this game is one which u want to appreciate the settting and characters
It gets better after toriel and while u could play it like a regular jrpg style game try to go thru it pacifist style

Tizoc

Capcpom should release monhun generations on steam and watch the money flood in
We got a 3ds port already and u kno steam is starving for dat monhun goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom