• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just started "Valkyria Chronicles" but I don't know if I like the story and the characters.

It feels really off at the moment. In the first mission
this Welkin character kills 3 guys (at least in my run, of course you could have killed them with the no name soldier) and in the next few scenes he is walking around like nothing happened, flirting with this "military girl" (who looks nothing like military at all but she apparently is commanding the towns troops) and talking about that "military" is not like him, he would like to be a teacher.

Does it stay like this or will it become more grim and gritty as I progress and the characters grasp the horrors of war?

there's a bit of grim and gritty but it's super juxtaposed with cute anime girls and boys being kinda cute and friendship and stuff cos it's an anime game

but yeah the tone is almost always like that, and it gets even more anime with the whole valkyria stuff, which is a bit jarring if u don't like that kind of characters (imo they're great but u know, i like anime). the story's pretty good either way, it does get into some ugly war shit that mirrors real world stuff and goes grim sometimes but if u don't like anime you'll probably won't like it

Nyoro SF

Just started "Valkyria Chronicles" but I don't know if I like the story and the characters.

It feels really off at the moment. In the first mission
this Welkin character kills 3 guys (at least in my run, of course you could have killed them with the no name soldier) and in the next few scenes he is walking around like nothing happened, flirting with this "military girl" (who looks nothing like military at all but she apparently is commanding the towns troops) and talking about that "military" is not like him, he would like to be a teacher.

Does it stay like this or will it become more grim and gritty as I progress and the characters grasp the horrors of war?

The game's story is very light for nearly all of it, it's very cheesy throughout too. A few serious moments but it doesn't set the tone that harshly.

I didn't take the story that seriously, but I think some people were expecting a serious war drama... which can't really be blamed, as there's no real description that describes it as the light-hearted story that it is.

Dr Dogg

In a way, it is. It's been about 14 months since I released the "1.0" version of Idle Master and even though the reception has been mostly positive, when I think back on the last year or so it's been "oh god, I feel like I've been bombarded with the worst sort of user feedback imaginable". I still get daily emails from people that essentially boil down to "fuck you: make Idle Master work for me!" and it's honestly making me crack.

It's to the point where I'm honestly worried about the reaction I'll get from people when I make an "official announcement" on the Steam group that I won't be working on it any more.

If I were you (in the case you were going to cease updating it) I'd just silently drop support for it, setup some flags and folders to capture all the support emails you might get so you can happily just ignore them and move on. You're really under no obligation to answer anyone as to why this was you decision and while most people you'd imagine are good natured some are right fucking pricks. I used to do CS and Complaints for a living (as one of the many hats I used to wear whilst at a more stressful company) and even that was enough to ruin your day, but doing that for a passion project that you supply to others as good will with no financial gain? Not worth the undue stress it would cause.

I'm sure you'll make the right call but you can never really keep everyone happy.

I want to sell my Summer Shades while they're worth bank, but Steam needs additional verification so it sent me an email that doesn't exist.

Valve, why.

zkylon

zkylewd
The game's story is very light for nearly all of it, it's very cheesy throughout too. A few serious moments but it doesn't set the tone that harshly.

I didn't take the story that seriously, but I think some people were expecting a serious war drama... which can't really be blamed, as there's no real description that describes it as the light-hearted story that it is.

i wouldn't say it's that light

Corpekata

Banned
VC tends to get praised a bit story wise because while it is fairly anime, it is not modern crazypants anime like most other JRPGs. It tells a simple story. Characters are generally likable. There's a romance where they act like adults. It tackles racism and concentration camps in a surprisingly decent way. There's not really any cringeworthy fan service. The wackiest it gets is that stupid pig mascot which thankfully is only rarely around.

It does go a little off the rails toward the end once it moves on from being a simple war story and deals with all the fantasy elements, but for the most part it was a refreshing change of pace.

Balthuk

So I just beat Psychonauts for my first time ever. Please if you own it, try it out or wait for a sale, it often goes as low as a couple of bucks. Pasting my comments from the 52 games thread.

Game 9:
02-03-16
Beat: Psychonauts (12 hours)
Amazing game. Sense of humor rarely seen on games that elevates the game. Good memorable soundtrack, amazing art style with interesting changes in parts of the game. Every little part of the game has a charm to it that differentiates it from the others. Even collectibles have a twist, whether it’s blobs of health jumping around or figments that are collectibles designed like little stickers with different art depending on where you find them. Memorable concepts throughout the game like: Board game vs Napoleon (not a high point gameplay-wise but a cute concept), Underwater fight with a fish that joins your side after you beat her, specifically the part you are a giant destroying a city of fish, bullfighting part (god that change of colour palette was stunning), calling for help using bacon and help arriving through an old man that pops out of your ear. This game is full of charm. I realise now what makes Double Fine special to a lot of folks and cannot even think how I would have reacted if I had played the game when it originally came out, it would have blown my mind. The game does have its fair share of flaws that I’m sure you can find more qualified people’s posts about but I recommend this one as much as I can, it’s in my top 10 games I’ve played the last few years for sure.

Psychonaut's art style and 'charm' are two things I'll never connect.

It's one of the most visually unappealing art styles I can think of, though still better than Binding of Isaac/Meat Boy.
I have those too. Do I have to buying wrapping paper? I remember it wouldnt let me sell them last time I tried.

A previous page mentioned that they're tradable now, which is what gave me the idea.

Momentary

Banned
Hell BBCPE's netcode is not bad. 0 bar matches are totally unplayable unless you just know your combo timing and frame offset I guess.

I just hope more people buy the game. Seems to be might low on players right now, but it was just released midnight PST last night so.... we'll see.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think there's anything in VC1 that I like more than VC2. Aside from graphics i guess.

Characters? Because the characters in VC2 are the worst. Lead dude is incredibly punchable.

Map design? All those tiny transition maps really took away from the scale.

Less grinding?

Balthuk

Psychonaut's art style and 'charm' are two things I'll never connect.

It's one of the most visually unappealing art styles I can think of, though still better than Binding of Isaac/Meat Boy.

A previous page mentioned that they're tradable now, which is what gave me the idea.

Well especially when it comes to its charm, it's one of those things that you either like a lot or don't even see what others like in it I guess. I rarely see how people get so excited about most games. Usually I'm either liking or disliking something but I rarely connect with so many things in any one game. So this was one of the few that hit a sweet spot for me.

Hell BBCPE's netcode is not bad. 0 bar matches are totally unplayable unless you just know your combo timing and frame offset I guess.

I just hope more people buy the game. Seems to be might low on players right now, but it was just released midnight PST last night so.... we'll see.

Tell nuuvem to hurry up and get it and not put it behind the paypal region lock bs. :D

Nyoro SF

Characters? Because the characters in VC2 are the worst. Lead dude is incredibly punchable.

I've already talked to him about this like three times, Jaw likes waifus and schools more than gameplay and story. :p

In a way, it is. It's been about 14 months since I released the "1.0" version of Idle Master and even though the reception has been mostly positive, when I think back on the last year or so it's been "oh god, I feel like I've been bombarded with the worst sort of user feedback imaginable". I still get daily emails from people that essentially boil down to "fuck you: make Idle Master work for me!" and it's honestly making me crack.

It's to the point where I'm honestly worried about the reaction I'll get from people when I make an "official announcement" on the Steam group that I won't be working on it any more.
You made a certain aspect of life for many people easier. Thanks for your work! But it's not worth your energy and well-being when it becomes stress instead of a fun side project. And it looks like it makes you more stress than anything. You should take a break from that work or at least change your email to never even see or think about "feedback".

Jawmuncher

Less grinding?

I've already talked to him about this like three times, Jaw likes waifus and schools more than gameplay and story. :p

Sorry guys j just legit like it more. The small maps worked pretty well and I thought the characters were great. I remember them more than the VC1 cast. About the only complaint is the grinding, but since maps are generally quicker it never got too bad.

Thought the story was fine too. Having a military academy made sense to me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqIGPwTUX1Y

zkylon

zkylewd
VC tends to get praised a bit story wise because while it is fairly anime, it is not modern crazypants anime like most other JRPGs. It tells a simple story. Characters are generally likable. There's a romance where they act like adults. It tackles racism and concentration camps in a surprisingly decent way. There's not really any cringeworthy fan service. The wackiest it gets is that stupid pig mascot which thankfully is only rarely around.

It does go a little off the rails toward the end once it moves on from being a simple war story and deals with all the fantasy elements, but for the most part it was a refreshing change of pace.

yeah, very well put

Does VC2 have Wavy? Because if it doesn't I don't know how anyone could prefer it voer VC1.

May the Bloodline live forever.
sweet, will check now, free money! damnit extra verification needed yada yada. Sweet I have a "Bounty Hat" too.

Good tip!

It's crazy that my Spy's Fancy Fedora is cheaper than either of these. The markets are insane.

Pachimari

Now that the Resident Evil franchise is having a sale on PSN, I hope to see something similar on Steam. Give us some discounts on the RE0 costume packs.

Jawmuncher

Now that the Resident Evil franchise is having a sale on PSN, I hope to see something similar on Steam. Give us some discounts on the RE0 costume packs.
I would bet that sometime this month we get an anniversary weekend sale. The real anniversary is later in the month technically anyway.

Believe me, VC3 is waaaaaay better than VC2 as well, so there isn't really a reason to prefer it. ;)

Well Sega never translated it so I wouldn't know.

user237

The card market is dead anyway so I don't care if I can't sell them anymore. It's honestly not worth clicking 5 or 6 times to get 1 penny. Not even a real penny, but a store credit penny.

Salsa

I wonder if I should play XCOM 2 yet

remember when I bought that on release hahahah 😭 😭 😭

Alright my bounty hat and shades have sold and now I'm 99% done with the Steam Market place. These two trasactions have more than doubled my lifetime marketplace revenue.
I wonder if I should play XCOM 2 yet

remember when I bought that on release hahahah �� �� ��

I'm maybe five hours away from completing my Veteran Ironman run... but then I bought Stardew Valley; now I've spent 31 hours on it.

XCOM in pieces.

DVTmMLV.png

I just finished Deadlight. Took me two days. It's a short game and never overstayed its welcome. To be honest, I could have gone for 3-4 hours if they were diverse areas (forest, snow). It's fine as it is. FYI, KB/M feels not right with this one. Played it with my DS3 and it was just perfect.

The game puts you in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse where you promptly get separated from your wife and daughter. The story revolves around finding them. It's a very focused affair. Don't expect any side story or even much in terms of other characters. Very to the point.
In 2.5D fashion you're fighting zombies with an axe, pistol and shotgun but don't mistake it as a true action game. Even few zombies can overwhelm you quickly. Often I found myself pushing them away and just running away to higher ground. Besides combat there is a lot platforming which is OK. Nothing spectacular as you don't do free-form jumping. There's not much to do wrong or different as intended.

The real star here is the desolate world and atmosphere. I wished throughout for an open-world game in this vibe to carefully sneak through a lost, zombie-ridden city. In that, not feeling overpowered in combat was the right decision.
The only downsides were a specific early area (
Sewers
) since that felt totally unrealistic and was totally different and unfitting compared to the rest of the game. Other than that, there are tidbits of aspects when society crumbles but they were never explored too much. Shame.

I liked this game a lot. Ending was great. It's short and good. Give it a try.

Steam Market is dead, I know I say something is dead a few dozen times a week but I'm serious this time, who would even bother using it seriously anymore with all these dumb restrictions. Just like anything with Valve, the minute it starts to effect their bottom line it will change, hopefully.

Salsa

DVTmMLV.png

I just finished Deadlight. Took me two days. It's a short game and never overstayed its welcome. To be honest, I could have gone for 3-4 hours if they were diverse areas (forest, snow). It's fine as it is. FYI, KB/M feels not right with this one. Played it with my DS3 and it was just perfect.

The game puts you in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse where you promptly get separated from your wife and daughter. The story revolves around finding them. It's a very focused affair. Don't expect any side story or even much in terms of other characters. Very to the point.

In 2.5D fashion you're fighting zombies with an axe, pistol and shotgun but don't mistake it as a true action game. Even few zombies can overwhelm you quickly. Often I found myself pushing them away and just running away to higher ground. Besides combat there is a lot platforming which is OK. Nothing spectacular as you don't do free-form jumping. There's not much to do wrong or different as intended.

The real star here is the desolate world and atmosphere. I wished throughout for an open-world game in this vibe to carefully sneak through a lost, zombie-ridden city. In that, not feeling overpowered in combat was the right decision.
The only downsides were a specific early area (
Sewers
) since that felt totally unrealistic and was totally different and unfitting compared to the rest of the game. Other than that, there are tidbits of aspects when society crumbles but they were never explored too much. Shame.

I liked this game a lot. Ending was great. It's short and good. Give it a try.

everyone hates this game and I really dunno why

I loved it

you know in part why?

cause it was 3 hours long

#shortgames

Nyoro SF

"About the only complaint is the grinding"

Hee hee hee

The card market is dead anyway so I don't care if I can't sell them anymore. It's honestly not worth clicking 5 or 6 times to get 1 penny. Not even a real penny, but a store credit penny.

Honestly, the terrible Steam UI, even with Enhanced Steam assisting me, is a bigger turnoff for any market work than anything for me.

Salsa

Short games can be bad too though. Korra instantly comes to mind.

for sure

but Deadlight is a good example in that if it had been as long as most games are it would be a terrible game

like, literally

the pace of it and length is a big part of what makes it good

you just go up up up in terms of having fun with it and then it ends on a high note

Ludens

Banned
Steam Market is dead, I know I say something is dead a few dozen times a week but I'm serious this time, who would even bother using it seriously anymore with all these dumb restrictions. Just like anything with Valve, the minute it starts to effect their bottom line it will change, hopefully.

The fact is this move is so...dumb? Just put a restriction for worthy items, like 2$ or more? Ok, you can do the trade now if you have auth, or the items will be held for 5 days.
But not 15 days. And not on 0.03€ cards.

I should play something else. Meant to go for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena on GOG for a long time. Let's see, let's see what else is currently installed before.

kagamin

I've grown to appreciate arcadey style games (like Project Diva) more these days than long games, but I still like my Etrian Odysseys and my KOTOR II to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom