• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is how I feel as well. At this point, it seems the only thing Valve understands is the hit to their bottom line.

I feel that I already have enough security as it is, between the compliance conversation and two-factor email auth. I don't feel like being forced into another security measure - not to mention that the site can and has had user data (no matter how insignificant it may be) leaked through page loopholes, which is completely outside any user's control.

Ozium

Could they put those restrictions on only items generated by certain games?
I mean, if someone hacks my account and sells all my 0.03c cards on the market, I wouldn't be mad at all.

This seems like a DOTA/CS/TF thing screwing everyone.

I like to think that everything wrong with Valve these days can be traced back to DOTA in some way, shape or form

Vuze

Yeah, I was annoyed by the XX hour delay on trades, but the 15 day hold for selling shit on the market is ridiculous. I considered using the authenticator even though I felt uncomfortable with it but then I heard that you have to generate a code or whatever EVERY time you login to a different PC with Steam (not like the Steam Guard once-and-done thing, but literally login). I use my account on three different devices so no thanks. No more market cut from my penny market sales for you Volvo.

All these restrictions just make the marketplace and trading meta activities way too much of a hassle.

And apparently the dev coded the game, that it will crash now if you try to start it...
I was wondering when a delisted game would actually burn bridges completely and screw over the customers by pushing forward a defective update...or has this happened before.

It also makes me sad about the state of forcing games to be on their latest revision no matter the consequences.

I was wondering when a delisted game would actually burn bridges completely and screw over the customers by pushing forward a defective update...or has this happened before.

I have heard of at least one delisted game that literally shows nothing but a black screen and a crash soon after when you attempt to play it (don't have the name on-hand), but never anything like this.

I like to think that everything wrong with Valve these days can be traced back to DOTA in some way, shape or form

I kinda agree with that. Half Life was the game that built Valve, DOTA 2 is the game that will destroy Valve.

Yeah, I was annoyed by the XX hour delay on trades, but the 15 day hold for selling shit on the market is ridiculous. I considered using the authenticator even though I felt uncomfortable with it but then I heard that you have to generate a code or whatever EVERY time you login to a different PC with Steam (not like the Steam Guard once-and-done thing, but literally login). I use my account on three different devices so no thanks. No more market cut from my penny market sales for you Volvo.

All these restrictions just make the marketplace and trading meta activities way too much of a hassle.

I'm going to be that guy and say that I actually like the authenticator. I feel a bit more secure. I pretty much have all my important accounts sending something to my phone if there is a login attempt.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While I can understand your statement, be careful because it sounds like depression.

In a way, it is. It's been about 14 months since I released the "1.0" version of Idle Master and even though the reception has been mostly positive, when I think back on the last year or so it's been "oh god, I feel like I've been bombarded with the worst sort of user feedback imaginable". I still get daily emails from people that essentially boil down to "fuck you: make Idle Master work for me!" and it's honestly making me crack.

It's to the point where I'm honestly worried about the reaction I'll get from people when I make an "official announcement" on the Steam group that I won't be working on it any more.

I regret clicking on that Playstation Plus reception thread. Some real ugly posts in there.

I wonder how an actual independent developer feels when they read stuff like that.

I'm sure they must be delighted to read that their games are considered 'garbage' by a sizable portion of PS+ subscribers.

I seriously think it would be best for (almost) everyone if Sony stopped offering indie games as part of the PS+ service, at least temporarily.
- People who appreciate indie games, like me, wouldn't have to read all those shitty posts anymore (yeah I know I could also simply refrain from clicking on the threads).
- The majority of the subscribers obviously don't like indies, and would rather have more/only retail games. So it's positive from a consumer standpoint.
- And even for indie development on PS4 as a whole it would probably be more healthy if people stopped expecting almost every indie that comes out to be offered for "free" at some point.

The only "loser" would probably be Sony. Even the older retail games are probably more expensive to add to their service than indie games (except for the high profile ones, such as the witness).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm going to be that guy and say that I actually like the authenticator. I feel a bit more secure. I pretty much have all my important accounts sending something to my phone if there is a login attempt.

I like it in theory but after a few months of using it it stopped working for me and forced me to give an authenticator code in order to login on my phone, which is how you get the authenticator code.

zkylon

zkylewd
can totally understand ppl getting upset over it since it's no joke but still, that spintires thing is kind of hilarious

fallout

I think it started with TF2 ... specifically when they put it on sale for a limited time for $2. That really kicked off the Age of Hats.

C4rter

Just started "Valkyria Chronicles" but I don't know if I like the story and the characters.

It feels really off at the moment. In the first mission
this Welkin character kills 3 guys (at least in my run, of course you could have killed them with the no name soldier) and in the next few scenes he is walking around like nothing happened, flirting with this "military girl" (who looks nothing like military at all but she apparently is commanding the towns troops) and talking about that "military" is not like him, he would like to be a teacher.

Does it stay like this or will it become more grim and gritty as I progress and the characters grasp the horrors of war?

Ludens

Banned
I'm sure they must be delighted to read that their games are considered 'garbage' by a sizable portion of PS+ subscribers.

I seriously think It would be best for everyone if Sony stopped offering indie games as part of the PS+ service, at least temporarily.
- People who appreciate indie games, like me, wouldn't have to read all those shitty posts anymore (yeah I know I could also simply refrain from clicking on the threads).
- The majority of the subscribers obviously don't like indies, and would rather have more/only retail games. So it's positive for a consumer standpoint.
- And even for indie development on PS4 as a whole it would probably be more healthy if people stopped expecting almost every indie that comes out to be offered for "free" at some point.

I don't consider garbage the games (well, even if some of them, like the fighing one for Vita this month, are really low-level games).
I consider garbage the line-up compared to GWG one and the old PS3 Plus offer.
Because Sony doesn't mix the offer at ALL. They only offer indie games and too often they are also the same genre.

Salsa

this is kinda random and offtopic but since I went on a Kung Fury rant here cause every dank meme lover somehow loves that piece of shit i'll say this:

watch Turbo Kid on Netflix. An actual 80's homage / parody that manges to have heart and be very in line with the 80s movies it's imitating in that it is actually a good movie with developed characters and stakes, unlike every other god awful "LOL 80s VHS! LASERS!" overused crap out there.

watched it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you expected a grim and gritty story out of the anime game with this typical big breasted magic lady as antagonst?

_laeeQ18QWBK.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

In a way, it is. It's been about 14 months since I released the "1.0" version of Idle Master and even though the reception has been mostly positive, when I think back on the last year or so it's been "oh god, I feel like I've been bombarded with the worst sort of user feedback imaginable". I still get daily emails from people that essentially boil down to "fuck you: make Idle Master work for me!" and it's honestly making me crack.

It's to the point where I'm honestly worried about the reaction I'll get from people when I make an "official announcement" on the Steam group that I won't be working on it any more.

Change your email address >_>

Seriously though, I hope you'll find some serenity!

Mivey

Does it stay like this or will it become more grim and gritty as I progress and the characters grasp the horrors of war?
There are quite a few dark scenes in it later
(for example a concentration camp),
but it also has a lot of silly humor in it. I played it for the strategy and tried to endure it japaneseness.
Good game.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
this is kinda random and offtopic but since I went on a Kung Fury rant here cause every dank meme lover somehow loves that piece of shit i'll say this:

watch Turbo Kid on Netflix. An actual 80's homage / parody that manges to have heart and be very in line with the 80s movies it's imitating in that it is actually a good movie with developed characters and stakes, unlike every other god awful "LOL 80s VHS! LASERS!" overused crap out there.

Turbo Kid is pretty awesome, me and my friends loved it!

And yeah, Kung Fury manges to get boring during it's 30 min runtime... but I would really like that robot arcade mashine as an action figure :)

You could always go with the Telegard BBS route of claiming you are working on the next release and never do. That said, I hope most of us will be understanding when you need to retire.

Annubis

Just started "Valkyria Chronicles" but I don't know if I like the story and the characters.

It feels really off at the moment. In the first mission
this Welkin character kills 3 guys (at least in my run, of course you could have killed them with the no name soldier) and in the next few scenes he is walking around like nothing happened, flirting with this "military girl" (who looks nothing like military at all but she apparently is commanding the towns troops) and talking about that "military" is not like him, he would like to be a teacher.

Relevant:

I just tried to buy something on Nuuvem using FlyVPN. I usually log off and close the software when I'm asked to insert my PayPal account info, but this time it automatically logged in as I had just used it for another payment. Should I be afraid of this? I did log off before actually completing the payment though.

Another thing is, while it said the transaction went well, I haven't received a confirmation email from Nuuvem, and no key for the game (DLC actually) I ordered, which has never happened before.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate that Valve's gotten into the habit of changing store subs to FoD subs when a game goes free-to-play.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Change your email address >_>

Seriously though, I hope you'll find some serenity!

Thanks. I feel like I'm justified in my decision and that enough people are upset about the restrictions anyway that it's probably the best time to bow out.

vermadas

I don't have any problems with the authenticator working on my phone, but it would be a lot nicer if it integrated with Google Authenticator as Stump said earlier. As it is, I have to have an app for my work VPN 2FA, Steam app, battle.net, but everything else is under Google. The only nice thing about the Steam app is that the code pops up as a notification on my phone which gets pushed to my smartwatch.

Thanks. I feel like I'm justified in my decision and that enough people are upset about the restrictions anyway that it's probably the best time to bow out.

That was going to be my suggestion. If you're going to go, strike while the iron's still hot. You can be upfront with the changes to the Marketplace prompting the decision or you can be vague.

You could always pull an Irish goodbye. (Apologies if that term is offensive to any Saorises.)

Pachimari

Tabletopia is a digital platform for board games. With Tabletopia, you can play popular board games online with your friends or with thousands of players around the world in an experience almost like gathering around a real table.

- Lashman Twitter.

Mm. This will also give you more free time to play games or something! Maybe even brainstorm some new idea you feel needs to be actualized! :)

Thanks for all the cards and your work. Just don't make a time bomb in idlemaster that will change our steam profile avatars to wafius or something.

Is enhanced steam going away as well?

C4rter

Oh yeah, Turbo Kid is sooooo good. It captures the Italian gravel-pit vibe of the 80s Mad Max style movies so good, it's crazy.

you expected a grim and gritty story out of the anime game with this typical big breasted magic lady as antagonst?

_laeeQ18QWBK.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Yeah, well, I did not know much about the game except "war" and "strategy".

There are quite a few dark scenes in it later
(for example a concentration camp),
but it also has a lot of silly humor in it. I played it for the strategy and tried to endure it japaneseness.
Good game.

I'll try to do the same, thanks.

Lol, awesome, it's just like that.

Pachimari

Win the daily battle with the clock—become a bus driver! In Bus Simulator, you will take the controls of one of 6 true-to-life city buses, licensed by companies such as MAN, and drive your passengers through 5 realistic districts of a city.

There's Poop In My Soup is a physics based game about a little boy who likes to poop on passers by. Cause as much damage as you can to the streets below, unlock powerups and new projectiles by completing your to-poo list.
Man Puncher alert

jshackles

Thanks for all the cards and your work. Just don't make a time bomb in idlemaster that will change our steam profile avatars to wafius or something.

Is enhanced steam going away as well?

I won't be making any changes to Idle Master - though I'll likely update the website so that the "Download now" button goes directly to the portable version (and then remove the separate link for the portable version). The standard version, which keeps itself updated automatically, requires a digital code signing certificate that has to be maintained ($). If you already have the standard version installed, it should work fine until that certificate expires (May/June, I think) then it might bring up a warning message when launching it is all.

Enhanced Steam I'll still be working on updating when I can but I haven't been as active with it lately as I would like to be. Patreon sponsors are still paying for the server upkeep costs and a lot of the non-market features are still things I couldn't personally live without.

Parsnip

Personally I haven't had any issues with the authenticator. For me the minor annoyance to whip my phone out every once in a while is a fine trade-off for added security.

I wish it had the "remember this computer from now on" setting like the email auhentication does though, but eh. Minor inconvenience.

Obviously it sucks if it doesn't work for you of course.
Or if you don't have a smart phone.

Knurek

Jshacks, don't feel obliged to keep working on a hobby product.

I dropped both hoot archive when I had some bad shit going on in my life and needed time off and portable music history when I grew tired of having to spend 2-3 hours per day to keep up with the release schedule and realized I'd much rather just spend time with wife or play games (or whatever).
I haven't really felt bad about any of those - I've been doing both for myself mostly. Whether other people took something out of it didn't matter to me.

And it shouldn't matter to you as well whether people get pissed about whatever they think they're entitled to as with regards to your work. Fuck those people. Fuck them in the pooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom